Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

It will if they mandate that the policies for health cover should be with Thai resident insurance companies.

Ssshhhhh!! That's next months announcement. Don't let the cat out of the bag too soon!

17 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

After that the government paid 100% of my bills after I file the claim. 

The key words being "after I file the claim." Does any medical center in Thailand accept Tricare up front? If not, I can see that their thinking might be that after you die on the operating table, there is no one around to file the claim????

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

I'm sure that as soon as O-A people drop 800K into a Thai bank O people will be happy to discuss the insurance issue.

Every OA initial holder who has extended, requires 800 k in the bank.. In addition to insurance... 

This is good news. Far too many broke sex-pats coming here and living Leo to Leo with no provision or thought for their future. The furthest most can think ahead is their next short-time up Soi Pothole.

Time for some quality retirees.

Sincerely 

MORRIS

Ex Bar Owner, Speaks Thai and Laos

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why not get a single entry Non O, come to Thailand and see an agent. Just a thought.

Me thinks the days of the Non-O retirement visas without insurance are numbered. It is only a matter of time.

21 minutes ago, KhunMorris said:

This is good news. Far too many broke sex-pats coming here and living Leo to Leo with no provision or thought for their future. The furthest most can think ahead is their next short-time up Soi Pothole.

Is that you Thomas Andrew Howe aka Barfines and Powerlines?

1 minute ago, taxin said:

Could someone clarify again the difference between an “OA” and an “O” non immigrant visa ? I forgot..

A Non-OA visa is only for those 50 or over and and is a multiple entry visa valid for one year from the date of issued and allows unlimited one year entries for that year.

A non-o visa only allows a 90 day entry and can be issued for various reasons. Being 50 or over for retirement is one of them.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Every OA initial holder who has extended, requires 800 k in the bank.. In addition to insurance... 

Yes, but it was claimed earlier that this was only for the visa not extensions (similar to the initial 40/400K).

• Confused 2

Don't know what the actual figures are , but I know of several expats who have fallen ill without proper insurance. They either have no cover or insufficient. At first they can cover stuff out of their savings and then the crunch comes and they end up left to die in a hospital bed unable to pay for the full treatment.

8 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Don't know what the actual figures are , but I know of several expats who have fallen ill without proper insurance. They either have no cover or insufficient. At first they can cover stuff out of their savings and then the crunch comes and they end up left to die in a hospital bed unable to pay for the full treatment.

Absolutely correct. Treatment is discontinued if unable to pay.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, moogradod said:

And there is the other side which gets forgotten all the time: There are plenty of expats who can easily pay any treatment out of their own pocket and be it many millions. Everybody should be able to pay for their treatments - this is never denied. But for this a mandatory insurance which even the rich (the so sought after "quality" expats - or am I wrong in this regard ?) cannot get because of preconditions is not a clever idea and might destruct whole families because of nothing. If you want to conclude an insurance - why not ? But do not make it mandatory. And for the small rest where this does not work a 500 Baht entry fee from every tourist will MORE than compensate for that. Or a fixed deposit of say 3 Million THB instead of an insurance.

Good points. Unfortunately, however small the amount, people will complain about being forced to contribute towards bad debts incurred by the irresponsible. A mandatory interest earning security deposit of the 3 million baht mentioned would weed out those who can't scrape together 800,000 baht for their retirement extensions. It is more than likely that this is the sector which makes no provision for their funerals either, their cadavers blocking up hospital mortuaries incurring further expense for the Thai taxpayers.  

17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They only want foreigners who stay a week or two.

I sensed that over the four years I lived in Thailand. Spend your money, then go home. We don't need more people moving here permanently.  Got enough headaches with our own people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

sadly not correct Jens, I was told by one of the CW supervisors to consider changing to a non-o next year as this change was about to be made. I was doing an extension.

I do agree with you on the non-o, its does not make sense (if I were a gov official) having two different ext of stay fro retirement processes,

mmmm If I go out I may consider to change to an O-X visa but have to check on the insurance requirements for that - probably same ?

2 hours ago, rughead said:

i think all retirees, O visa , marriage visa , etc etc , should have adequate medical insurance cover , too long the O-A visa has been propping up retirees who think everyone owes them a living . They expect the thai government system for free.

Exactly !!  any overhaul of the Immigration system (as it is supposed to be in the process of ) needs to sort it .   They need a system whereby anyone who spends 180 days or more here is considered a resident and ALL in that category have the same medical insurance requirements - sorted !!   The rest are just tourists 

"Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha said today (Tuesday) that the new rule is intended to ensure that they will receive proper medical treatment if they fall ill during their long stay in the country."

Unless DPHM Sathit is a 1st class BS'r, I fail to see how such an insurance will ensure that the person will receive proper medical treatment.

Most  of the retirees in Thailand are older people who have already been treated for a disease and NO insurance company in the world will pay for a medical treatment which can be proved to be caused by a previous illness.

Now, unless the person would fall ill to an unknown alien disease, it is easy to blame the illness on a previous disease and refuse the hospital bills.

For me, this seems an easy way to generate $$$ in the state coffin to compensate the losses of Covid.

If this refers to the extended stay retirement visa? Then i can see loads of expats taking out there money a going elsewhere I'm sure the banks would love that. How would any one over 75 get insurance anyway and those with medical history I just renewed min 30th September with the 800.000 baht  in the bank so at least i have a year left . My last quote for health cover was 133.000 baht and that was for only 1 Mil. so how much would it be for 3Mil 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Citzofwrld2 said:

I sensed that over the four years I lived in Thailand. Spend your money, then go home. We don't need more people moving here permanently.  Got enough headaches with our own people.

Only if you ate rich and donated over 1 million dollars and buy real estate