Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:especially since at that stage it was far from clear that the insurance would be required for extensions on existing Non O-As. I did think I would probably switch at some point down the line, but then 4 months later the country closed so I've had to make the subsequent two extensions on the same visa using the cheapest LMG policy (which to be fair was quite cheap).

This part reminds me clearly of my experience:

Renewed my retirement extension ( from an OA ) Sept 25th 2019 and traveled to the U.K. for a couple of weeks in early Oct 2019.

The 40/400k insurance was already nailed on for new OA’s and rumours were abundant as to whether it would affect retirement extensions also. This would have been the ideal time to change to an O visa but i had just got my extension for another worry free year and after all i was planning to revisit the U.K. in March 2020, I could do it then …………. ☹️☹️☹️
I had little option but to pay the cheapest LMG premium with a deductible ( 6,000 baht ) for 2 years and accept it as a passport to obtain a retirement extension rather than any worthwhile insurance.

Sept 2022 , for me , should have been an increase to 7,700 baht , instead I am probably facing a 25/35k bill !!

Of course, I have time to plan for my conversion to an O visa but whether that means a trip back home for a couple of weeks or a simple border run remains to be seen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Hopefully by September next year you may be able to a simple border hop for a visa exempt entry so you can then apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Just be sure you do not get a re-entry permit.

Yes Joe , that’s my favoured option.

• Like 2

According to the (recently-updated) London Embassy website, the minimum health insurance cover requirement for all foreigners wishing to enter Thailand from Monday will be 50,000 USD (or equivalent), down from 100,000 USD previously:-

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Makes me seriously wonder, therefore, whether there this could eventually turn out to be a standard requirement for all foreigners seeking permissions to stay in Thailand, be these through visa exemptions, the use of tourist or non-immigrant visas, or applications for retirement, marriage, etc extensions of stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gday

The thai german embassy Web Page confirm

1. Non-oa visa applicants must present a health insurance coverage usd 100000 =3 million thb

2. Non-OS or multiple entre Visa applicants retirement must present a health insurance cover opd 400k / ipd 40k

Thus given i expect extension of stay 12 months based on retirement to be affected 1. 400k opd and 40k ipd 2. Non-oa conversion to 12 months retirement to be the 3 Million trap. 

For non-os and multiple married to a thai covid insurance usd 50k.

Wbr

Roobaa01

On 10/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, pablo el sueco said:

To comply with government strictures now in force, have hospital admission staff been trained to examine the passport of the prospective patient for the existence of the O/A indicator so they can reject any foreign insurance and accept only the approved limited government-required coverage?

No, of course not. Hospitals have nothing to do with applying or enforcing immigration rules.

The point of enforcement is at issuance of the visa and then extension of stay at an Imm office.

Further, there has never been a rule that only O-A compliant insuranec policies can be used. People can have as many insurance policies as they like and use whichever they want (or none) for a hospital admission.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

The thai german embassy Web Page confirm

1. Non-oa visa applicants must present a health insurance coverage usd 100000 =3 million thb

2. Non-OS or multiple entre Visa applicants retirement must present a health insurance cover opd 400k / ipd 40k

Thus given i expect extension of stay 12 months based on retirement to be affected 1. 400k opd and 40k ipd 2. Non-oa conversion to 12 months retirement to be the 3 Million trap. 

Wbr

Roobaa01

400k opd/40k ip that can't be right?

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

400k opd/40k ip that can't be right?

The new insurance is only for new OA visa applications at a embassy.

On September 1st it will be required for extensions of a Non-OA visa entry based upon retirement.

Info is here: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

That is only needed for entry to the country. 

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

On September 1st it will be required for extensions of a Non-OA visa entry based upon retirement.

Just to ensure I am clear, as I have an extension of a Non-OA retirement visa in Jomtien due next month:

Extensions of Non-OA’s processed before September 1, 2022 only require 400k/40k coverage.

Extensions processed after September 1, 2022 will require 3 million baht coverage.

Is this correct?

On 11/8/2021 at 4:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

Hi Ubonjoe,  thanks for the info. 

Currently on "O-A" Visa staying in Thailand and due for another extension in Dec 2021,  so I shall be good to secure 400k-40k B health insurance one more time in Dec 2021,  and cannot do same again in Dec 2022.   Is that correct  ?   Further more,  do we need Covid-19 insurance for the Visa extension ?

Quotation chart from LMG Insurance showed the premium of 400k-40k B coverage Vs  3.5 million B

is approx  quadrable ( 4x )  jump for my age bracket.   Indeed not a good way to carry on "O-A"  further.  

Many suggest doing an "O" Visa to avoid the health insurance requirement.

Have a specific question about the "O"  Visa

Applying for an "O" Visa in Thailand,  is a 90-day out-of-the-country visa run required ?

Applying for an "O" Visa in a foreign country,  is a 90-day out-of-the-country visa run required ? 

My concern is to avoid  90 day visa run altogether.  Doing one extension each year in Thailand is ideal. 

I am not married and using 800k deposit method at present.   

Thank you.

1 hour ago, sscc said:

Currently on "O-A" Visa staying in Thailand and due for another extension in Dec 2021,  so I shall be good to secure 400k-40k B health insurance one more time in Dec 2021,  and cannot do same again in Dec 2022.   Is that correct  ?   Further more,  do we need Covid-19 insurance for the Visa extension ?

Yes for this year and no for the coved 19 insurance.

1 hour ago, sscc said:

Applying for an "O" Visa in Thailand,  is a 90-day out-of-the-country visa run required ?

Applying for an "O" Visa in a foreign country,  is a 90-day out-of-the-country visa run required ? 

No for both. If you got a single entry non-o visa form a embassy or consulate or at immigration after getting a visa exempt entry you could apply for a new one year extension the 90 day entry either one would allow.

• Like 1

I am trying to get an understanding of timing ; renewing my passport

and leaving the country . I have a retirement an visa extension. 

i like to renew my passport before I leave the Thailand but want to know if I need to transfer my visa extension to the new passport first  or I can leave Thailand without the transfer , just exit with my new passport and old passport at the departure immigration airport  . is that possible for Thailand to let me out  ? If so I assume there is a time element to getting the new passport and transfer of visa extension 

thanks for your replies 

4 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I like to renew my passport before I leave the Thailand but want to know if I need to transfer my visa extension to the new passport first  or I can leave Thailand without the transfer , just exit with my new passport and old passport at the departure immigration airport  . is that possible for Thailand to let me out  ? If so I assume there is a time element to getting the new passport and transfer of visa extension 

You can just exit and reenter country with both passports. There is no time limit to transfer stamps however for dealings with immigration such as extension renewal etc you would have stamps transfered prior.

On 11/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, TimBKK said:

Extensions processed after September 1, 2022 will require 3 million baht coverage.

My extension ends 12 Sept 2022. I'll apply for a new extension 30 days in advance, i.e., on 12 Aug 2022.  So, does the "September 1 2022" apply to the date I apply (12 Aug) or to the date the extension renews on (13 Sep 2022)?

6 minutes ago, JimGant said:

My extension ends 12 Sept 2022. I'll apply for a new extension 30 days in advance, i.e., on 12 Aug 2022.  So, does the "September 1 2022" apply to the date I apply (12 Aug) or to the date the extension renews on (13 Sep 2022)?

That is really unknown at this time since immigration has not changed the immigration order for the new insurance requirements for extending a entry from a OA yet.

It it is possible it will only apply for OA visas issued after October 1st of this year.

The best option in my opinion is to get rid of the OA visa entry by leaving without a re-entry and getting non-o visa.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can just exit and reenter country with both passports. There is no time limit to transfer stamps however for dealings with immigration such as extension renewal etc you would have stamps transfered prior.

Since I plan to exit Thailand on retirement o a (no rentry permit ) and renter on tourist visa in arrival , I do Not need to transfer extension from old passport to new passport before I exit Thailand ( I want to remove oa visa ) , I just need to show airport immigration my new and old passport at exit .

thanks 

59 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Since I plan to exit Thailand on retirement o a (no rentry permit ) and renter on tourist visa in arrival , I do Not need to transfer extension from old passport to new passport before I exit Thailand ( I want to remove oa visa ) , I just need to show airport immigration my new and old passport at exit .

No need to transfer your stamps before leaving the country. Show both passports and they will stamp out of the country in the new one. Then when you enter Thailand just show your new passport to get a 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not a visa on arrival).

If from a country that can only get a VOA it would only allow a 15 day entry that cannot be extended.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, ubonjoe said:

Hopefully by September next year you may be able to a simple border hop for a visa exempt entry so you can then apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Just be sure you do not get a re-entry permit.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes Joe , that’s my favoured option.

@Andrew Dwyer However what you should IMHO bear in mind with this option, particularly if you are aged 75+, is that you would almost certainly be faced with a 30-day 50k/100k USD insurance requirement in order to be able to re-enter Thailand visa-exempt after a border run, which you would probably find impossible to comply with because of your age (just as you would a 100k USD insurance requirement for retirement extensions based on an original non-OA visa, of course). I personally cannot see existing COE/TP insurance requirements being relaxed any time soon but instead becoming permanent. So, if a 100k insurance requirement for retirement extensions were to become mandatory for all original non-OA visa holders from September 2022, it strikes me that those aged 75+ would eventually have no legitimate option, in practice, other than to purchase one-way flight tickets back to their home countries unless they had an alternative reason (e.g. marriage to a Thai national) to fall back on to for future annual extensions. And since they would then in all certainty be faced with having to comply with some impossible (in their case) insurance requirement if they were ever subsequently minded to return to Thailand, this would, of course, be tantamount to a lifetime ban for them.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

However what you should IMHO bear in mind with this option, particularly if you are aged 75+, is that you would almost certainly be faced with a 30-day 50k/100k USD insurance

Not cheap but my 77yr old father has no problem getting 30 day travel insurance though it does ramp up significantly if he wants more than this.

I think Thailand should look at what Malaysia does with MM2H & allow those who genuinely cannot get Health Insurance to put a bond in the bank.

Lol, compare this with Philippines where if you have a terminal illness the SRRV is considerably cheaper (IIRC $1,500 on deposit) than if you’re perfectly healthy.

21 minutes ago, OJAS said:

@Andrew Dwyer However what you should IMHO bear in mind with this option, particularly if you are aged 75+, is that you would almost certainly be faced with a 30-day 50k/100k USD insurance requirement in order to be able to re-enter Thailand visa-exempt after a border run, which you would probably find impossible to comply with because of your age (just as you would a 100k USD insurance requirement for retirement extensions based on an original non-OA visa, of course). I personally cannot see existing COE/TP insurance requirements being relaxed any time soon but instead becoming permanent. So, if a 100k insurance requirement for retirement extensions were to become mandatory for all original non-OA visa holders from September 2022, it strikes me that those aged 75+ would eventually have no legitimate option, in practice, other than to purchase one-way flight tickets back to their home countries unless they had an alternative reason (e.g. marriage to a Thai national) to fall back on to for future annual extensions. And since they would then in all certainty be faced with having to comply with some impossible (in their case) insurance requirement if they were ever subsequently minded to return to Thailand, this would, of course, be tantamount to a lifetime ban for them.

My thought process being that to return visa exempt, after having dumped my OA extension ( leaving with no re-entry permit ) , I would have to pay for 30 days coverage of the $50k insurance which is surely much less than the 3M baht insurance cover to renew my retirement extension ( from an OA ) .

My renewal date is Sept 25th so have time to reflect on my options but , like yourself, I do think the mandatory insurance cover required to enter the country will remain in some form or other.

Am a mere 60 yrs old so I do have some breathing space to consider my long term options here, currently top of my list is to free myself from the restraints of my OA based retirement extension.

• Like 2