Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

4 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

If this refers to the extended stay retirement visa? Then i can see loads of expats taking out there money a going elsewhere I'm sure the banks would love that. How would any one over 75 get insurance anyway and those with medical history I just renewed min 30th September with the 800.000 baht  in the bank so at least i have a year left . My last quote for health cover was 133.000 baht and that was for only 1 Mil. so how much would it be for 3Mil 

If Thailand would use the interest on the 800,000 baht deposit to pay for some system of health care, most of the retirees would have a good health treatment when they fall ill.
Most, if not all, the retiress who have deposit 800,000 baht on the bank don't get interest on that sum.
Why not make the 800,000 bank deposit into a state funds which will provide health insurance with the interest on that sum of money?
Too easy for the Thai ministers?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Medimedia said:

Can top visa agent work with this like other issues they seem to get around ?

Almost certainly. However, the visa agent/immigration officer won't help the expat when the hospital discontinue treatment because he isn't insured and can no longer afford to pay the bill.

3 hours ago, Galong said:

What about those of us who have worked in Thailand long enough to have Thai Social Security for life, which covers healthcare for life?  I assume Thai SS would be accepted in lieu of additional/supplemental 3mil coverage.  I'm thinking about turning in my work permit and getting a Non-O retirement extension. 

I hope that's the case because that's the situation I have as well worked 15 years and now I have the Social Security coverage for life for a payment of about 430 baht a month. While I hope this is accepted I have my doubts that it will be hope I'm wrong

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

3 Million Baht for Inpatient Coverage.  $100,000 USD for Covid 19 Coverage?  Coincidence?  $100,000 USD now converts to just slightly over 3 Million Baht. 

We were informed of this change by some of the insurers we work with weeks ago.

Currently the AXA, and TUNE policies (not the covid-only tune policy) should also cover the visa requirements for OA/STV.

You can see a comparison here: https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance (select a term greater than 89 days, and you will see OA/STV compatible policy pricing).

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Most  of the retirees in Thailand are older people who have already been treated for a disease and NO insurance company in the world will pay for a medical treatment which can be proved to be caused by a previous illness.

Actually the Affordable Care Act in USA does allow for insurance and treatment of pre-existing conditions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

The link below is an ad posted by AETNA Insurance recently, and according to AETNA in this advertisement extensions of stay for O-A visas will require 3 million baht cover from Sept 1 2022.

How are the Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay Visa) requirements changing? - Insurance in Thailand - ASEAN NOW - News, Travel & Forum

I'm also bewildered by the lack of logic and the discrimination when it comes to money in the bank and health insurance, each for different reasons.

#1. I'm at a complete loss why an expat staying by reason of marriage has to only have 400k in the bank, when he has a wife and quite possibly kids to provide for, and why an expat on a retirement visa/extensions has to have 800k in the bank, when he/she is more than likely single with only himself/herself to provide for. I fail to see any logic in this.

#2.  I'm not against mandatory health insurance for long stay expats, but it should be applicable to ALL long stay expats regardless of visa/extension type, NOT just O-A. Straight out blatant discrimination in my view, and again no logic that makes any sense whatsoever

They have their own logic. And "life ain't fair" doesn't get very far, here. Your wanting to put mandatory health insurance people in other than the OA category generates the same feeling I have for people who can use income letters from their embassies, after I lost that service at my embassy. But I let it go. They can use the letters, I cannot. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

We were informed of this change by some of the insurers we work with weeks ago.

Currently the AXA, and TUNE policies (not the covid-only tune policy) should also cover the visa requirements for OA/STV.

You can see a comparison here: https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance (select a term greater than 89 days, and you will see OA/STV compatible policy pricing).

you can't work with too many insurers then, because I've contacted EVERY Thai authorised health insurance company today and only 2 had any knowledge of these alleged changes ( and AXA was not one of them), and 1 will not take on new clients 70 or older and the other has no premiums posted on their web site even though they have already updated their site to show 3 million as the minimum cover for O-A.

Edited by TigerandDog

17 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I'm also bewildered by the lack of logic and the discrimination when it comes to money in the bank and health insurance, each for different reasons.

Can't say I disagree with your points ... don't forget the sexual discrimination too.

My comment had nothing to do with that though; more taking the mickey out of the person I quoted (bit rich wanting to throw those on Non O under the bus just because it didn't work out for those on O-A). IMO the only upside to an O-A is to get basically 2 years out of it without having to deposit money in a Thai bank. I see no reason to use it for extensions (obviously Covid more than likely screwed up a lot of people that where using it for 2 years then getting another one and some got stuck on an extension, which initially it was claimed wouldn't require the insurance - which would make sense to me because by then they've got the foreign money into the country sitting in a bank).

Edited by Salerno
Typo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

BS

A year ago, I was hospitalized urgently.
After 3 weeks hospital, from which was 1 1/2 week ICU, I was released from the hospital.
I went to the cassier and the total bill was only 35,000 baht (Military hospital Fort Suranaree).
I don't require hamburgers and pizzas, with a 40" TV and all sport channels, when I am lying in a hospital.
I feel very well with some other people in my room who gave a helping hand when nurses ware too busy.
I go already 15 years to this hospital and I feel very good with their service.
I don't need a Bangkok hospital with their exurberant bills.

That is the right attitude of a "proper" expat, right there. I wish some would learn from their peers instead of complaining 24/7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, olfu said:

I see it more and more how Thailand trying to get rid of farangs. 

No they don't want to get fire of farangs. They just want their money.. Thai money in circulation.is accounted for. But foreign money isn't. and that's what they want .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"According to the Thai Immigration Bureau and the Department of Consular Affairs, 3,768 foreigners were granted non-immigrant visas last and this year."

Guess, they won't get many more applicants anytime soon.

But you can't expect Thai people to pay to one's il health

19 hours ago, olfu said:

I see it more and more how Thailand trying to get rid of farangs. 

No they don't want to get fire of farangs. They just want their money.. Thai money in circulation.is accounted for. But foreign money isn't. and that's what they want .

2 minutes ago, Joules said:

Why don't they ever publish a pro forma premium schedule for the major companies and age groups.  I can't ever seem to get a price without filling out a lengthy form asking for all kinds of private information.  I get it that I must do that to buy -- but I only want to shop.  How much does this insurance cost?  And at what point is the "non-immigrant" simply to old to qualify for any insurance?

I went through the process once with Aetna, and before I was finished, I got a pop-up that said I was too old to qualify.

How did you deal with the age problem?

46 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

That is the right attitude of a "proper" expat, right there. I wish some would learn from their peers instead of complaining 24/7.

This guy WAS complaining for <deleted>sakes!  For your edification, he was pointing out that a 3 million baht policy is excessive.  Maybe you did not notice that his opening remark was "BS."

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Why don't they ever publish a pro forma premium schedule for the major companies and age groups.  I can't ever seem to get a price without filling out a lengthy form asking for all kinds of private information.  I get it that I must do that to buy -- but I only want to shop.  How much does this insurance cost?  And at what point is the "non-immigrant" simply to old to qualify for any insurance?

I went through the process once with Aetna, and before I was finished, I got a pop-up that said I was too old to qualify.

How did you deal with the age problem?

I got a marriage extension.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Mandatory health insurance just doesn't work for those with preconditions, those of an older age, those already with good health care in their home countries, and those with enough wealth to self insure.

For me, I fit in 3 of those 4 categories, but luckily have an 'O' visa, avoiding this requirement. Many of my friends have 'O-A' visas, and fall into this trap.

3 million baht cover is also excessive. For that money, they could bring you back from the dead.

I too, have an ' O ' visa....but at 77 cannot get insurance even if I wanted to....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

The link below is an ad posted by AETNA Insurance recently, and according to AETNA in this advertisement extensions of stay for O-A visas will require 3 million baht cover from Sept 1 2022.

How are the Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay Visa) requirements changing? - Insurance in Thailand - ASEAN NOW - News, Travel & Forum

#1. I'm at a complete loss why an expat staying by reason of marriage has to only have 400k in the bank, when he has a wife and quite possibly kids to provide for, and why an expat on a retirement visa/extensions has to have 800k in the bank, when he/she is more than likely single with only himself/herself to provide for. I fail to see any logic in this.

#2.  I'm not against mandatory health insurance for long stay expats, but it should be applicable to ALL long stay expats regardless of visa/extension type, NOT just O-A. Straight out blatant discrimination in my view, and again no logic that makes any sense whatsoever

RE: #1. I'm at a complete loss why an expat staying by reason of marriage has to only have 400k in the bank, when he has a wife and quite possibly kids to provide for, and why an expat on a retirement visa/extensions has to have 800k in the bank, when he/she is more than likely single with only himself/herself to provide for. I fail to see any logic in this.

Agreed - no logic - just a simplistic requirement to try to guarantee long stay visa holders have substantial financial means in country. 

Neither the 400K or 800K (which started out as an alternative to claiming minimum monthly income) will ever get spent because to do so will invalidate your long stay visa immediately and that would be unfortunate to put it mildly.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

BS

A year ago, I was hospitalized urgently.
After 3 weeks hospital, from which was 1 1/2 week ICU, I was released from the hospital.
I went to the cassier and the total bill was only 35,000 baht (Military hospital Fort Suranaree).
I don't require hamburgers and pizzas, with a 40" TV and all sport channels, when I am lying in a hospital.
I feel very well with some other people in my room who gave a helping hand when nurses ware too busy.
I go already 15 years to this hospital and I feel very good with their service.
I don't need a Bangkok hospital with their exurberant bills.

Totally agree. Excellent treatment and incredibly economical for what you received (especially the 10 days or so in ITU). Unfortunately, if you remember when 'border bounces' were possible, certain people were concerned that, in future, they may have to show 10 or 20,000 baht to reenter Thailand. There were certain border crossings where it was known they never asked. If the person hadn't got that amount even only to show, they would be unable to pay 35,000. That is why insurance or deposits are required.  

• Thanks 1