Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

This is the first I have heard of an O-A visa extension of stay being declined.

A 75 year old Australian guy I know who has been in Thailand over 22 years on an O-A visa and having plenty in the bank has had his visa extension declined as he could not obtain insurance, he has a number of underlying conditions. 

He is now leaving for Australia next week, no family or home to return to so he has no real plans of what to do. The only good thing is he can get medical treatment there.

I think this may apply to many others in the future.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Am a mere 60 yrs old so I do have some breathing space to consider my long term options here, currently top of my list is to free myself from the restraints of my OA based retirement extension.

In that case the border run option for scrubbing your original non-OA visa should work fine for you. Doubtful whether land borders will re-open for this purpose, though, at least until existing quarantining and testing requirements have eased somewhat - which, hopefully, will be some time within the next 15 years!????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoneTravelling said:

I fear that you may well be right.

Even those who have succeeded in obtaining approved 40k/400k THB policies might not find their insurers receptive to increasing the cover to 100k USD if need be, particularly if they have celebrated their 75th birthday in the meantime.

And I strongly suspect that the principal beneficiaries of any concession allowing home country policies to be included in the eligibility reckoning would be Americans with long-established and generous private health insurance plans. Can't see many of us Brits who were reliant on the NHS to cater for our health needs when we were living in the UK benefitting from this!

On 10/19/2021 at 9:07 PM, treetops said:

There are two different requirements depending on what visa/extension you require.  The 3m baht covid insurance and the 400/40 in/outpatient one.  This is not new any more.

How can it be that their are two different requirements? What are each of the requirements for specifically?

And what's the the amount required in a health insurance package, if it's NOT AN OA VISA APPLICATION, but for an OA VISA EXTENSION in thailand?

On 10/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

This part reminds me clearly of my experience:

Renewed my retirement extension ( from an OA ) Sept 25th 2019 and traveled to the U.K. for a couple of weeks in early Oct 2019.

The 40/400k insurance was already nailed on for new OA’s and rumours were abundant as to whether it would affect retirement extensions also. This would have been the ideal time to change to an O visa but i had just got my extension for another worry free year and after all i was planning to revisit the U.K. in March 2020, I could do it then …………. ☹️☹️☹️
I had little option but to pay the cheapest LMG premium with a deductible ( 6,000 baht ) for 2 years and accept it as a passport to obtain a retirement extension rather than any worthwhile insurance.

Sept 2022 , for me , should have been an increase to 7,700 baht , instead I am probably facing a 25/35k bill !!

Of course, I have time to plan for my conversion to an O visa but whether that means a trip back home for a couple of weeks or a simple border run remains to be seen.

I just had an insurance agent offer me probably the same insurance package, as it was also 6,000 baht....  and only meet the 400/40 k insurance requirement.

Of course they wrote that if it cannot be used to extend the OA Visa, they are not liable, and no refund is available... Even though I specifically requested quotes, so that I could extend my OA Visa in Thailand. 

Anyone here managed to switch from an extended OA Visa, to a covid extension Visa?

As I'm honestly not sure how long I need to stay in Thailand, or want to stay in Thailand with this ridiculous insurance requirement!!! 

On 11/14/2021 at 6:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is really unknown at this time since immigration has not changed the immigration order for the new insurance requirements for extending a entry from a OA yet.

It it is possible it will only apply for OA visas issued after October 1st of this year.

The best option in my opinion is to get rid of the OA visa entry by leaving without a re-entry and getting non-o visa.

Is it possible to apply for a Covid extension Visa before an OA Visa extension is about to expire?

It's something I'm considering, as I may not want a full year stay in Thailand considering the way things are heading. 

Alternately, could phuket immigration then consider letting ex-OA Visa holder who switched to the covid extension, then apply for an O Visa for retirement inside of thailand, without exiting the country?

5 hours ago, wrazoru said:

Alternately, could phuket immigration then consider letting ex-OA Visa holder who switched to the covid extension, then apply for an O Visa for retirement inside of thailand, without exiting the country?

My understanding was that Phuket were an immigration office (possibly the only one in LOS?) who weren't enforcing the existing 40k/400k THB health insurance requirement for retirement extensions based on original non-OA visas. Whether that is likely to change from next September (if it hasn't done so already) remains to be seen, I think.

Is it possible to apply for a Covid extension Visa before an OA Visa extension is about to expire?

It's something I'm considering, as I may not want a full year stay in Thailand considering the way things are heading. 

Yes and Yes.

No

The only way to end your original OA visa entry to is to leave without a re-entry permit and get a non-o visa from a embassy or consulate or enter visa exempt and apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

No

The only way to end your original OA visa entry to is to leave without a re-entry permit and get a non-o visa from a embassy or consulate or enter visa exempt and apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

If going the visa exempt to non-o method would he need to transfer in another/new Bt800K although he may already have Bt800K in an acct from past extensions?   And if he must transfer in a new Bt800K does it have to be seasoned at least 2 months?

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

If going the visa exempt to non-o method would he need to transfer in another/new Bt800K although he may already have Bt800K in an acct from past extensions?   And if he must transfer in a new Bt800K does it have to be seasoned at least 2 months?

Proof the 800k baht was transferred from abroad is waived if the money has been the bank for some time already.

The proof it came from abroad is required since there is no requirement to have it in the bank any amount of time to prevent people from borrowing the money or getting it from a friend long enough to apply for the non-o visa.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Proof the 800k baht was transferred from abroad is waived if the money has been the bank for some time already.

The proof it came from abroad is required since there is no requirement to have it in the bank any amount of time to prevent people from borrowing the money or getting it from a friend long enough to apply for the non-o visa.

But if a person did need to transfer in Bt800K would the money need to be seasoned at least two months?

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

But if a person did need to transfer in Bt800K would the money need to be seasoned at least two months?

Not for the non-o visa application.

It would only be required to have it in the bank for 2 months when applying for the one year extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not for the non-o visa application.

It would only be required to have it in the bank for 2 months when applying for the one year extension.

OK...thanks....that fine distinction between a visa and extension of stay makes the difference.

28 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK...thanks....that fine distinction between a visa and extension of stay makes the difference.

Yes and since the non O gives a 90 day stay it fits nicely with the 2 month seasoning requirement for the extension and time in the last month to apply for extension.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

ubonjoe,

Is there a reference somewhere on an immigration website that says proof is waived in such a situation or it's based on your/other posters' experience?

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

My understanding was that Phuket were an immigration office (possibly the only one in LOS?) who weren't enforcing the existing 40k/400k THB health insurance requirement for retirement extensions based on original non-OA visas. Whether that is likely to change from next September (if it hasn't done so already) remains to be seen, I think.

They are now... Here's the list of requirements that was shown to me at Phuket immigration, room 103 for retirement of extensions... Which at the bottom is written about health insurance requirement.

However, they couldn't tell me what was the minimum requirements for the health insurance package. 

PXL_20211116_072715804.jpg

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Is there a reference somewhere on an immigration website that says proof is waived in such a situation or it's based on your/other posters' experience?

It is what people have been able to do when they have had the 800k baht in the bank for some time as shown in their bank book.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wrazoru said:

They are now... Here's the list of requirements that was shown to me at Phuket immigration, room 103 for retirement of extensions... Which at the bottom is written about health insurance requirement.

It is also shown here at the bottom of the page.

https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

On 11/16/2021 at 12:37 PM, DoneTravelling said:

A 75 year old Australian guy I know who has been in Thailand over 22 years on an O-A visa and having plenty in the bank has had his visa extension declined as he could not obtain insurance, he has a number of underlying conditions. 

He is now leaving for Australia next week, no family or home to return to so he has no real plans of what to do. The only good thing is he can get medical treatment there.

Indeed many here have provided a home and yes the vast amount of expenses for their Thai family and some not quite as old as 
77 but yes many from the UK with no home or relatives but yes not sure about Australia but medical cover might not be when people are forced back but something like 6 months have heard but one never knows until one experiences events.
Yes as in the case of UK born and bred citizens who have more than paid their share of National Insurance contributions they are treated appallingly, not to mention the frozen state pension which in itself is a struggle as so many of us have certainly not got pots of gold.

Edited by jwest10
  • Confused 1

On 11/15/2021 at 8:13 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Hello Ubonjoe... just to confirm if I have understood you correctly....  I have been renewing my daughter's (she is 18 yrs now)  yearly visa (Non-O)   based on my Permanent Residence certificate status in Thailand. Her visa due for renewal again in Feb 2022,  will she still require the 3 Million baht insurance coverage in her case ?    Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Navin said:

Hello Ubonjoe... just to confirm if I have understood you correctly....  I have been renewing my daughter's (she is 18 yrs now)  yearly visa (Non-O)   based on my Permanent Residence certificate status in Thailand. Her visa due for renewal again in Feb 2022,  will she still require the 3 Million baht insurance coverage in her case ?

No

The only extension that requires insurance is a one for Non-OA visa entry for retirement.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:37 PM, DoneTravelling said:

Curious. I extended my O-A visa last year, with LMG, one of the accepted Thai insurance companies, at age 75 (the last year they'll issue, but will renew in subsequent years, as I recently did at age 76). All listed preexisting conditions are then excluded from coverage  -- but they'll take your word for it, with no required physical. Believe the premium was 11,700 baht -- not too drastic. And my age 76 renewal was 16,900 baht (but believe LMG is in the process of raising their premiums to accommodate additional Covid coverage).

So, not sure why your mate couldn't get LMG insurance -- heck, they'll cover you if you list your preexisting condition as terminal cancer.

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, DoneTravelling said:

He can come back easily with Australian travel insurance, TR visa and then apply for Non-O retirement within the country.

However at 75 with "a number of underlying conditions", I'm not sure whether it is wise to stay in Thailand uninsured...however as indicated he has "plenty in the bank", maybe enough to self insure.

• Like 1