Solar Power for Well

I really wish someone would respond to your question. I have 3 pumps in our system, the in ground one to fill the closest tank, an above ground pump to fill the tank at the rear of the property and another one to provide water pressure for the house. Providing the juice for all this with solar would be great. I would like to eliminate the third pump by installing a tower to gravity feed the house but the neighbors are too close, I fear a disaster.

• Like 1

A fair number of solar pumps of various flavours and prices on Lazada.

This kind of thing

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/750w-1500w-4-125-2-dc-dc-i932482721-s1901180138.html?

Just add panels.

Or this for something a bit cheaper.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-water-pump-qb-60-series-375w-24vdc-i1684736329-s4738434003.html?

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

I really wish someone would respond to your question. I have 3 pumps in our system, the in ground one to fill the closest tank, an above ground pump to fill the tank at the rear of the property and another one to provide water pressure for the house. Providing the juice for all this with solar would be great. I would like to eliminate the third pump by installing a tower to gravity feed the house but the neighbors are too close, I fear a disaster.

I have the same thing but I run mine using the whole house solar supply. I do have an additional small solar panel for my flat panel hot water circulating pump which is only a few watts. 

A problem to be considered is what about when the house water is required at night. If you can't have a water tower then batteries are required to run the house water pump.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

A fair number of solar pumps of various flavours and prices on Lazada.

This kind of thing

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/750w-1500w-4-125-2-dc-dc-i932482721-s1901180138.html?

Just add panels.

Or this for something a bit cheaper.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-water-pump-qb-60-series-375w-24vdc-i1684736329-s4738434003.html?

Thanks, Crossy-

I saw those and others. My concern is that this is something that must work or you go without water (I lease and the landlord doesn't want a tank on the property). So I'm a bit leery of buying something off the net without lots of good reviews.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has bought one in the past, and can attest to its quality and performance. That is more important to me than cost.

10k baht for a good system, I would consider a steal. They're $2000 in the States, though those can be used in deep wells.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

We are in Khon Kaen

My wife's uncle just installed one at his farm, and it works great. Wife is at the temple  right now fot Buddha day , as soon as she gets  back I will ask her for a picture and what it cost, I don't think it is too expensive because it seems like everyone is doing it in our area. 

Thanks!

If you could pass on to me the brand and source sometime in the future, I'd appreciate it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Anybody installed solar power on their well pump?

Not on the well pump but I did make a small system to operate a garden water feature that works quite well.

If you want to use the existing pump then the inverter would need to cope with the motor starting current and then it would be a case of the battery being able to deal with the usage time. The solar panels themselves are effectively a battery recharging arrangement.

We collect rainwater during the wet season so the well pump is only used to any extent during a few months of the dry season so at my age solar not really a cost effective arrangement.

Good luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

If you already have mains powered pumps in place then using a grid-tie solar system to offset your power bill might be a better solution.

I think I follow.

But I'm not concerned about saving $$$, actually, I simply want to be prepared should the power go out for an extended period of time.

I'm not a pepper, per say, but water is a tad important....

But sounds like your suggestion would work for that as well (pun intended).

Thanks.

14 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

I have 3 pumps in our system, the in ground one to fill the closest tank, an above ground pump to fill the tank at the rear of the property and another one to provide water pressure for the house.

A thought about what happens when the surface water tank and/or well gets low. I have a simple control box and some water level sensors which will prevent the pumps from running dry.

• Like 1

A simpler, probably cheaper solution would simply have storage tank for water.  Keep full, and when power is off, gravity will provide any pressure needed.

Or ... although if wanting at night time, as stated above, you'll need a hybrid inverter & battery.

• Thanks 1