Doctor issues warning after child in Phetchabun has tick removed from eyelid

webfact

6pm.jpg

Daily News reporters hotfooted it to the Phetchabun Clinic in the downtown area of the north eastern Thai city after a TikTok video went viral and appeared on national TV.

It featured a doctor removing a tick from the eyelid of a 13 year old child.

Dr Charnchai said the child came to the clinic complaining of pain, itching and swelling.

They have a dog at home.

He removed a tick from the eyelid.

The parent and child were freaked but Dr Charnchai said it was relatively common - he had dealt with 5-6 cases this year alone.

He stressed that if infected, people should seek expert help and not try to pull the ticks off themselves. 

Parts of the tick like teeth or fangs can remain behind leading to infections and complications that can take a year to heal. 

He said that cats and dogs were to blame.

Some people don't have pain, he noted; this is because the tick secretes a substance that can numb the area where they embed themselves. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-10-22

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Thanks 1

I buy shed loads of tick treatments from Tesco and end up treating most of the village dogs that come into contact with mine. It helps for a while, but no one else seems to care. I just don't want my dog bringing them into the house. Keeping the dog in the garden doesn't work either, he wants to run with his freinds, but sleep indoors.

Ticks are in woods, grass or even your back yard.

Yeah they can hitchhike on an animal like dogs and cats, but they arent responsible for the tick.

If the kid plays in those areas, they can pick up a tick. So regulair check in tick season and watch the bite 

place for certain 3 days after. If a red ring around it is developed, you could have Lyme disease.

Then better go to doctor to have anti biotics. If you dont then you can have later lots of unexplained issues with your body.

reminds me of a time when i was young and was on holiday in the UK , Wales, passing through, we stopped at gas station

and there was a lovely dog, however covered with ticks. She was literally drained by ticks.

In the meantime my father filled up, i took away about 30 ticks, but stil she had a lot left.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

I buy shed loads of tick treatments from Tesco and end up treating most of the village dogs that come into contact with mine. It helps for a while, but no one else seems to care. I just don't want my dog bringing them into the house. Keeping the dog in the garden doesn't work either, he wants to run with his freinds, but sleep indoors.

We have six dogs and they all pick up ticks when they go self-walking in the fields. My wife has infinite patience and each day she goes through their hair and kills the critters. The dogs love the attention and line up for their 'massage'. We do also buy self-administered injections from the vet which last about six months and that kills any ticks or fleas.

Note to self: Time to buy another round of needles.

We had an infestation of ticks, gave my dog one of those chewy tablets once and they never came back, sprayed all around the home with an insecticide, I now do this a couple of times a year, kills not only ticks but mozys and ants. and keep the grass down they love long grass.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, sawadee1947 said:

Of course Not. The owners are to blame not caring for vaccines aso.

But......in most cases there is no owner when it comes to difficulties

Huh? How do vaccines play into this story?

On 10/23/2021 at 6:03 PM, CALSinCM said:

Invermetic to the rescue!

For intestinal parasites. Don't know if it work on ticks.

A famous doctor once suggested that ingesting bleach would help and you might try UV lights down the throat as well.

4 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Huh? How do vaccines play into this story?

Well, how do you think think the Tick jumped onto the eye Lid? And where it came from? Not from haven. Only manna comes from there though I haven't seen yet.

If the dogs are vaccinated no ticks like to live on them.