Pubs and bars to remain closed in 17 pilot areas after November 1

webfact

15 hours ago, sbf said:

I would argue that Thailand's fall down the educational tables, its rise up the corruption ladder, and the increasing concentration of wealth into the hands of a tiny portion of the population - all of which have become much more pronounced over the last decade and especially under the current administration - will ensure Thailands slide for years to come.  

If there is now a government policy of suppressing the sex industry that will only exacerbate the slide in the short term at least. Can't remember where I read it and it was a couple of years ago but flights arriving into Bangkok had the highest proportion of male to female passengers of almost any major arrival airport in the world. Anyway there are some pretty big minuses to having such a large sex industry as Thailand has, which seldom get debated and probably never will since there is no admission by authorities that the industry really exists. 

Well, one cannot make an accurate conclusion that the majority of men on those flights were coming for the sex industry. I know alot of guys who come here, and never engage in that, but rather are looking for a GF, or at least something more meaningful. One could argue at the extremity, that many women on the sites are trolling for cash. But, does that make them hookers? No more than the majority of the female population in the West, who are also looking for financial security, and often refuse to "give up the prize" until enough gifts and bonus money has been thrown into the pool. 

Certainly what you are saying about the horrific and truly inferior educational system here, and the (deliberate) income disparity is true. Thailand is sliding backwards, and the pace with which that is happening is horrifying, for those who have eyes to see, and truly care. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Good news, we don't want the type of tourist that would cancel because of not getting to a go go bar, as let's face it, those complaining are really worrying about that. 

I guess you missed out on growing up the happy way, a woman in one hand and a beer in the other but then most tourists here are well past growing up stage lol

• Like 2

Just direct them directly from the airport to high-class aka slightly overpriced hotels, no alcohol, girls, or other fun of any kind, but they are allowed to 2 hours beach time (minimal spending of 50,000 THB per hour, no problem for the class of tourists Thais want to attract in their new scheme) and maybe even swimming per day (fee 50,000 THB, no problem for the class of tourists Thais want to attract in their new scheme), dinner is 50,000 THB with moderate entertainment (Thai chicken flute dance show).

• Like 1

"Thais who arrive from countries and territories whose peoples are exempted from quarantine upon entering Thailand do not need to have health insurance coverage of 50,000 USD, unlike foreign tourists."

What about foreign residents returning to Thailand? They are neither Thai nor tourists.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

I suppose time will tell how how your predictions turn out. I've spent countless hours warming a bar stool over the years. My last fave was the "Bodega" bar on the corner on Soi Post Office and 2nd rd Pattaya. I used to meet a mate of mine there every day at 5pm for happy hour. We guzzled beer and people watched . Very entertaining if you have a brain the size of a pea. In today's world I'd probably never go back . Pattaya will lose all the things that attracted me here in the 1st place. I still live in Pattaya but am content to forgo the night life at this stage. My adventure started in 1990 and I'm all out of hot rod gaskets , not that I need them . 71 yo next b/d. It's been quite a ride to say the least.

Good on you. Keep up whatever you are doing! As time goes on, many of the things we used to get so excited about, tend to lose their luster. Hopefully at that point, we can find other areas of interest and passions. 

I still love most Thai people. But, Covid seems to have knocked some of the luster off the place for me. I hope when the "apocalypse" has passed, there will be at least a semblance of the Thailand I once knew remaining, and at least some of the lightheartedness that made the people so delightful. All of that seems to have receded into the background for now, with the current panic and fear mongering going on. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

I believe by December they will open most areas in the country, BKK is too greater voice to suppress whilst most other regions in Thailand are open. The authorities and many hisos frequent these venues so I don't believe Saint Prayut & his deputy will be able to hold out much longer, certainly not into January! Even if they have to further fudge the daily Covid new cases figure it will be done. The Thai economy cannot stand much more suppression, the financial pressure is building by the day and we just have to get used to living with this stupid most likely purposely released virus and get on with our lives! Vaccination does not prevent you from getting, carry or spreading the virus so enough is enough!

Those that want a pristine/Saintly Thailand with no prostitution, drinking , nudity will maintain that view for the masses and tourists   but   the Hi-so will still be clubing and drinking as even now you see the sporadic arrest of hundreds at a venue serving alcohol and partying.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, Kadilo said:

“Entertainment venues, pubs, bars and karaoke shops in these areas will have to remain closed for the time being.”

My guess would be that this will be the case for the duration of November then, depending on the data remaining positive, the next phase will be reopening bars etc in time for the main tourism to arrive for Xmas/new year period.

Its a sensible, measured approach.  

But wouldn't prospective tourists actually need to know NOW so they can organize holiday and bookings etc..there are existing bar and restaurant alcohol licensing laws which would suffice to keep things under control. Open up fully. That's what to they need to do..bar areas are devastated. Restaurants are struggling or flaunting the rules to survive.. open up fully.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:56 AM, Bkk Brian said:

What other countries announced to the world they are opening up to tourists with schools and businesses still closed?

What other countries are run with people with low IQs like the Banana Republic of Thailand?

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 6:53 AM, webfact said:

The CCSA has also announced the designation of 17 provinces as pilot areas for tourism. These include Bangkok, Krabi, Phang Nga, and Phuket, in addition to specific localities in Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Trat, Buriram, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi, Ranong, Rayong, Loei, Samut Prakan, Surat Thani, Nong Khai, and Udon Thani.

What if you need to go to a province not on the list?

1 hour ago, Card said:

"Thais who arrive from countries and territories whose peoples are exempted from quarantine upon entering Thailand do not need to have health insurance coverage of 50,000 USD, unlike foreign tourists."

What about foreign residents returning to Thailand? They are neither Thai nor tourists.

Foreigners are not covered by Thailand's Health scheme.

On 10/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, overherebc said:

Well, it's closed for those who came for 2/3/4 weeks, whatever, for beer and sex. Most of them couldn't get lucky in deathrow in a womens prison with a handful of pardons.

I wonder how many posters on here have a business interest in the bargirl scene or are really so concerned about the lack of work/income for those who are.

@wangotango

Nice to see one picking out the funny part.

23 hours ago, overherebc said:

It's been in decline for years. Covid just added to the decline, slow to almost overnight

The unelected soldiers caused a lot of tourism to dwindle before the pandemic came with their immigration policies, also caused a lot of retirees to leave Thailand for good, though  I'm not so sure the two or three week sexmongers dwindled that much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Better tell that to the people who use Thai friendly and meeting apps.

Supply will always meet demand.

This forum never lets me down on how out of touch some posters are with reality.

You do realise that the biggest market for prostitution in Thailand is Thai to Thai?

I read somewhere a good few years back that it is reckoned that two thirds of the Thai adult male population use prostitution in some form.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sweet Swede said:

What about NON IMM O expats returning after visit to origin country? Do they need this 50k USD insurance?  We are not tourists.

I think the answer to this question will confirm what we all know about the unelected governments attitude to us expats.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

FWIW, my mate's English boss and family will be visiting Thailand again as soon as things improve and they will be retaining the services of my mate's favorite ladyboy as nanny but more of a guide.

Yes, the ladyboy is 'on the game' and getting paid for it when there's no opportunity to be a nanny and bills need paying but she's not 'on the game' when she's doing the chaperoning and child minding and getting paid for it.

It's got buggerall to do what they do. You can't switch off being a human being after all.

Chances are your well-heeled Aussie family are like me, my mate, his boss and the ladyboy and have an open mind.

Yes mate you crack on hiring ladyboys that are on the game as nannies for your friends children!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johnarth said:

I guess you missed out on growing up the happy way, a woman in one hand and a beer in the other but then most tourists here are well past growing up stage lol

Why do you guess that?

I came here in my 20s. 

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I think the answer to this question will confirm what we all know about the unelected governments attitude to us expats.

What's the matter Steven? You are supposed to be blootered at this time of the evening.

Oh! Wait! You are blootered, you have just given me a confused emo, when what I said is very obvious to us sober posters.

• Sad 1