Unusually high air pollution reading in Chiang Mai’s Chiang Dao district caused by damaged sensor

Jonathan Fairfield

I've just come back from the Northeast to Prathumthani and one thing I notice different here is that at night around 2am there's a white fog or smog everywhere. It's been cooler so maybe it's that, but I worry about air pollution. We have what I guess is a small trash to energy plant about five kilometers away and some nights its exhaust pollution has made a direct line for our apartment.

Around the time Covid hit in 2020, I felt I was hit by what I thought was the PM2.5.  I didn't wear a mask for that pollution and at that time people hadn't started the masks for Covid. Despite living in the same area 20 years, I never was affected by the air pollution that way others claimed to be. I still don't know if it was the 2.5 which got me which was an issue up until Covid became the issue in Thailand. I felt a serious loss of breath for six months after that and still have issues. The masks we wear today make me feel like I can't breath a lot of the time but I wear them. Anyways, just my experience.

I hope the air pollution problem isn't as bad as it was in the past.