Warning for foreigners using True SIM to receive sms (otp) from their banks

Adumbration

I have a TrueH sim card.  Have had the same number for years.  In the past ever had problem receiving sms messages for authorizing transactions for payment etc.

In the last month I had been desperately trying to access and manage funds in my Australian banks accounts.

I was not receiving any of their sms messages.  Countless hours spent on the phone with banks basically saying problem not at their end and TRUE saying the same.

I did not know who to believe because I was receiving all other sms messages to my True SIM.  Messages via sms from Transferwise, Thai banks and credit cards and from friends in Australia all arrived ok in a split second.

In my last call with TRUE the guy stated emphatically problem not at their end (I had provided a list of all messages with time and sender number which I obtained after lengthy calls with the banks) and that they would not investigate further and then hung up on me.

On the weekend I bought an AIS SIM.  One of my banks called me this morning and we did a test transaction to generate an OTP.  The message arrived instantly to the AIS number.

So after nearly a months worth of stress and anxiety, countless hours of phone calls and emails, I have (through my own actions) identified that the problem is with TRUE.

My true number is linked to 14 other institutions both here and abroad, so it would be a nightmare to start afresh with a new AiS number.

So the easy solution would be to port my old True number (starting with 08) over to AIS.  The AIS SIM I tested this morning and successfully received banks OTP has (09 prefix)

Before I port my number can anyone answer this important question.  If I port my original (08) number from TRUE over to AIS would it still be routed from TRUE network then on to AIS network?  If this is the case the bank SMS might still fail to come through.  Or if port over would any sms from Australia just be handled by the AIS network (even though my ported number retains the original (08) TRUE number)?

Thanks for you input.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Before I port my number can anyone answer this important question.  If I port my original (08) number from TRUE over to AIS would it still be routed from TRUE network then on to AIS network?  If this is the case the bank SMS might still fail to come through.  Or if port over would any sms from Australia just be handled by the AIS network (even though my ported number retains the original (08) TRUE number)?

Years ago I transferred my number from AIS to True, and one of the first things I had to do was update my info with AIS, like passport/ID #. Then I went over to a True Shop and did the # transfer, which took about 1 or 2 days.

20 hours ago, Adumbration said:

If I port my original (08) number from TRUE over to AIS would it still be routed from TRUE network then on to AIS network?

No. It would be routed DIRECTLY to AIS.

20 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Or if port over would any sms from Australia just be handled by the AIS network (even though my ported number retains the original (08) TRUE number)?

Yes.

It is strange that TRUE are not terminating foreign-originated SMSes. I suspect this could down to the service the bank is contracting, and that perhaps TRUE (or their partner in Australia) does not recognize that service, or is not correctly provisioned for it?

I would just switch this one bank over to the new AIS number as it is proven to work now - and no need to go through the MNP process. But I understand that this requires a bit more work on your part - managing two SIMs.

FWIW SMS is not a guaranteed service. It is a "best-effort" service.

Does your bank offer any other authorisation methods? email, automated voice call, security key or token, other software authorisation/authenticators?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

I have an Optus sim but it is NOT 100% reliable even when actively roaming. Messages are sent indeed but the roaming partner (the local service provider) can still enforce barring features and can selectively block calls or messages.

I had a similar problem with a different foreign financial institution (not Australian). I had been receiving the otp via sms to my AIS (08 prefix) number for years, and it suddenly stopped working a few weeks back.

Luckily their customer service was very helpful, and they very quickly moved the otp delivery to email, which works better for me to be honest.

I had nightmares just thinking about the issues you describe with the two different 'not me' responses, so was lucky I could sort it out with a couple of emails.

You have my deepest sympathy.

• Like 2

This story is almost identical to my own.

I have been with NAB for 50 years but when the same problem began a couple of months ago they were unable to provide a solution. I get SMS from a number of banks/companies but my only problem is with NAB.

I too got an AIS card and it works without problem.

• Like 1

Same issue here. Worked well for long time but since last year, no more OTP's from one of my bank accounts in Portugal. Also spent time calling bank and True, no solution. What I do find strange is that I get OTP's from another of my accounts in Portugal to my Portuguese number that is getting delivered trough True's network. Can still use the app on my iPad that eliminates the need for OTP, but might consider switching to AIS in the future.

I moved an 08 number Post pay contract from True to AIS.

I would suggest you call the AIS helpline, IMHO they are the one of the best brand helplines in Thailand.  

I moved to AIS after a similar customer experience, after 15 years of monthly payments totalling over 200K THB (fone and TV ) they just refuse to discuss anything, you aren't a valued customer, and like you say, they put the phone down on you without giving a reasonable explanation. I immediately ran into an issue with the AIS shop staff who seemed to be reading different regulations than the helpline, but after speaking to the helpline supervisor everything was sorted in a painless manner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twod0gs said:

This story is almost identical to my own.

I have been with NAB for 50 years but when the same problem began a couple of months ago they were unable to provide a solution. I get SMS from a number of banks/companies but my only problem is with NAB.

I too got an AIS card and it works without problem.

I had the problem with Nab a few years ago After a lot of trouble talking to them on the phone  and blaming AIS  in the end they said it is the Nab system .Haven't heard back from them if they fixed it .

Now using Wise for International transfers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarleyMarl said:

With ANZ in Aus, they have the shield app that generates a code, rather than relying on OTP. I switched to this because I was not getting the OTP codes also.

Here is my response to a number of posts above.  Thanks for your input.

Phone apps

Commonwealth bank app has 1 star reviews on playstore.  It is detested by everyone and has crashed in the last few weeks.  It requires and sms to activate it which I cannot receive.

Tokens or receiving OTP by email

They have a token and originally agreed to send it to my registered postbox here (I can't receive mail to where I live). This was after being put on hold for 75 minutes and then spending 2.5 hours talking with the customer service guy who it turns out was totally incompetent or just plain lying.  He told me token would take 30-45 days to arrive.  I called back the next day to check if the token had been sent and if I could have copy of tracking number and they said cannot send token to po box and that they had suspended my account and my credit card pending a security check.  They would not give me a email to contact or even a name.  The just said I would have to wait for a call from their security department.  Would not tell me when, what day or anything else.  

My other bank which is a small regional former credit union has no token.  They also do not do international transfers electronically only by telegram which costs $47 dollars and then not send in AUD only convert at their end to get skim on currency.

Both of my banks will not send OTP by email.  SMS is the only option.

Use Aussie Sim on Roaming

I have been here a long time.  Over a decade.  One of the reasons I stay here is that I have no family whatsoever back in Oz that I can rely upon for support.  I have a few friends but they are all flat out with their own lifes, kids, businesses and up to their necks in mortgage payments.  They simply do not have the space in their lives to be dealing with my stuff and certainly not dealing with time wasting institutional nonsense of banks.  Going back to Oz just on a SIM run is not a defensible solution.

Using Google voice or Skype and divert sms.

I have a skype number that I have held for a decade.  It is a hardline australian number that I use as my contact on some accounts in Oz that do not require mobile number.  It cannot receive SMS to Skype.  I understand that that service is only available to US customers.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  

Regarding receiving sms via Google voice I know nothing about this, if it is available if I am not an American, or how I would set it up.  If someone can elaborate on these issues I am all ears.

Update Passport

Thanks @dsj for mentioning the passport update info issue.  I had a new passport issued about a year ago.  So the one that TRUE currently has on file will be the old number.  That would no doubt be sticking point if I want to port to AIS.  So prior to porting I will have to go to TRUE shop first to ensure they have updated my passport number....more time wasted.

Running two SIMS

As I stated above I have been here a long time.  Just the other day I was searching for the code to add validity to an AIS SIM.  I like that feature on the TRUE SIM, if you want to add 6 months validity there is a *number# code that you dial and the fee (just 12 baht I think) is deducted from your phone credit.  I then discovered (actually rediscovered) that AIS just has this 1 month added validity for every time you top up.  Regardless if you top up 10 or 10000 baht.  It then dawned on me that way back when I first moved here I had AIS SIMs but the constant inconvience of doing 12 10 baht tops up to get a full year validity pushed me to look for a easier solution, which is why I migrated to True.  No porting back then, just bought new sims because none of the banks were using this SMS 2FA nonsense.

In fact back then I had multiple sims because I was fresh off the boat and playing the field.  I had a nice house and a penthouse apartment in town for "entertaining".  Multiple SIMs where a necessity to avoid bumping into my own bulls***t. 

Now I just want a single SIM that receives messages from my banks and other institutions.  I am loath to port back to AIS because of the validity maintenance issue but it has become easier to deal with now because of online credit purchase options that were not available a decade ago.  I remember that I use to go into 7 eleven and ask for 12 x 20 baht top up slips.  Staff though I was mental.

Thank you everyone for your kind input.  Please continue to add your comments because no doubt it will be beneficial to other and not just me.

In the coming week I will have to venture back down to Phuket to update my passport at the TRUE office (thanks again @dsj for reminding me) and then go to AIS to port my number.  

I will let you all know how I go.

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

In the coming week I will have to venture back down to Phuket to update my passport at the TRUE office (thanks again @dsj for reminding me) and then go to AIS to port my number.  

I believe you can go to any True shop to update your passport. Also remember to take your old passport with you with your new one.

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Here is my response to a number of posts above.  Thanks for your input.

Phone apps

Commonwealth bank app has 1 star reviews on playstore.  It is detested by everyone and has crashed in the last few weeks.  It requires and sms to activate it which I cannot receive.

Tokens or receiving OTP by email

They have a token and originally agreed to send it to my registered postbox here (I can't receive mail to where I live). This was after being put on hold for 75 minutes and then spending 2.5 hours talking with the customer service guy who it turns out was totally incompetent or just plain lying.  He told me token would take 30-45 days to arrive.  I called back the next day to check if the token had been sent and if I could have copy of tracking number and they said cannot send token to po box and that they had suspended my account and my credit card pending a security check.  They would not give me a email to contact or even a name.  The just said I would have to wait for a call from their security department.  Would not tell me when, what day or anything else.  

My other bank which is a small regional former credit union has no token.  They also do not do international transfers electronically only by telegram which costs $47 dollars and then not send in AUD only convert at their end to get skim on currency.

Both of my banks will not send OTP by email.  SMS is the only option.

Use Aussie Sim on Roaming

I have been here a long time.  Over a decade.  One of the reasons I stay here is that I have no family whatsoever back in Oz that I can rely upon for support.  I have a few friends but they are all flat out with their own lifes, kids, businesses and up to their necks in mortgage payments.  They simply do not have the space in their lives to be dealing with my stuff and certainly not dealing with time wasting institutional nonsense of banks.  Going back to Oz just on a SIM run is not a defensible solution.

Using Google voice or Skype and divert sms.

I have a skype number that I have held for a decade.  It is a hardline australian number that I use as my contact on some accounts in Oz that do not require mobile number.  It cannot receive SMS to Skype.  I understand that that service is only available to US customers.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  

Regarding receiving sms via Google voice I know nothing about this, if it is available if I am not an American, or how I would set it up.  If someone can elaborate on these issues I am all ears.

Update Passport

Thanks @dsj for mentioning the passport update info issue.  I had a new passport issued about a year ago.  So the one that TRUE currently has on file will be the old number.  That would no doubt be sticking point if I want to port to AIS.  So prior to porting I will have to go to TRUE shop first to ensure they have updated my passport number....more time wasted.

Running two SIMS

As I stated above I have been here a long time.  Just the other day I was searching for the code to add validity to an AIS SIM.  I like that feature on the TRUE SIM, if you want to add 6 months validity there is a *number# code that you dial and the fee (just 12 baht I think) is deducted from your phone credit.  I then discovered (actually rediscovered) that AIS just has this 1 month added validity for every time you top up.  Regardless if you top up 10 or 10000 baht.  It then dawned on me that way back when I first moved here I had AIS SIMs but the constant inconvience of doing 12 10 baht tops up to get a full year validity pushed me to look for a easier solution, which is why I migrated to True.  No porting back then, just bought new sims because none of the banks were using this SMS 2FA nonsense.

In fact back then I had multiple sims because I was fresh off the boat and playing the field.  I had a nice house and a penthouse apartment in town for "entertaining".  Multiple SIMs where a necessity to avoid bumping into my own bulls***t. 

Now I just want a single SIM that receives messages from my banks and other institutions.  I am loath to port back to AIS because of the validity maintenance issue but it has become easier to deal with now because of online credit purchase options that were not available a decade ago.  I remember that I use to go into 7 eleven and ask for 12 x 20 baht top up slips.  Staff though I was mental.

Thank you everyone for your kind input.  Please continue to add your comments because no doubt it will be beneficial to other and not just me.

I will let you all know how I go.

I think we might have a case of Too Many Cooks here.

There is no need to update anything with Truemove H unless they specifically request it. You don't need to see nor speak to them at all to get the moving code; as I've let you know more than once.

As for your other query; when you use the Boontherm (orange devices) outside Family Mart and 7-11, it remembers your change.

So you don't need to put small amounts in each time. Put 100 baht in and then choose 10 baht top up. It will deduct 12 baht and tell you that you have 88 baht in credit. You can now repeat that action at that on any Boontherm device; whichever one you visit will have a record of the remainder of your credit.

But actually it's better for you to just stand there and to keep repeating the 10 baht choice until you are down to 4 baht, and then continue putting small notes in 1 x 50 baht or smaller denominations, until you've done it eleven or twelve times and have a full year of validity.

Set a note in your diary to repeat, say in six months and then top up six months worth etc

AIS will get your updated details when you register.

• Like 1

I also have this issue in not receiving SMS OTP from my Westpac Oz bank. I use true and because I wished to pay a "new payee" it required a OTP and that would not come to my SMS.

I will read all previous posts from helpful members later.

Unrelated perhaps?.... I'm currently trying to use a site called "marketplace" in Oz. It's a buy/sell site. Runs through messenger.

So my problem is that while I can view all the items I am unable to message an offer etc.

I assume that's just that site blocking my messenger as it's coming from o/s country??

Frustrating. Any tips/advice appreciated.

BTW I'm using my condo wifi. 

21 hours ago, digger70 said:

Haven't heard back from them if they fixed it

Nope, they haven't. After 4 days of trying (and 4 hours total of being 'on hold' - apparently they give no priority to overseas callers - the best I got from Customer Service was "Oh, this sometimes happens and we don't know why".  

I am changing to Combank on my next home visit.

1 hour ago, Twod0gs said:

Nope, they haven't. After 4 days of trying (and 4 hours total of being 'on hold' - apparently they give no priority to overseas callers - the best I got from Customer Service was "Oh, this sometimes happens and we don't know why".  

I am changing to Combank on my next home visit.

That next Visit ? With all the trouble one has to go through? For me it may take Yrs.

I don't worry about it I spent days on the phone to NAB a couple yrs ago.

I just do my Aus transfers from Nab to Wise in Aus and I get my Money in B Bank.

No OTP needed for Transfers in Aus.  I don't need the OTP to do the transfers I do

Good luck with the C Bank. 

I had them up to15 yrs ago, Had trouble with them and changed to NAB. 

Better or not ? Who knows  

• Like 1

@Bruno123is correct in his comment regarding top up at orange box/kiosk.  It does carry a running balance so you can theoretically insert 144 baht in coins and process 12 x 10 baht top ups.

I checked one out here in the village just a day or so ago.  And did a test payment (up until payment requested) on the new AIS SIM i purchased.  When I got back to my house it dawned on me that the kiosk was located outside a shop were the Delta outbreak originated that ended up in us being barricaded into our home for 21 days by the Army a short while back.  I promptly washed my hands thoroughly.

In the wake of Covid, and other hygiene related risks, online top up is probably a safer, if not more convenient option.

In my other thread here it has been noted that there is a shop now on lazada that sells tops ups for all SIM providers including AIS.  There is a 10 baht option.  I have never tried this but it does have tens of thousands of 5 star reviews. Perhaps it is possible to add 12 x 10 baht top ups to your shopping cart and then check out to get 1 year of validity?  Of course using this option carries some risk of using your credit card.  Topping up at a village kiosk avoids that risk.

Another member, @Puccini has also commented on the other thread that his bank allows him to type in the amount of his top up.  He said that he tops up his AIS SIM at (5 baht) per time to get his 12 month validity.  I have asked him to confirm what bank he uses and if he uses their app or website to make the top up payments.

If anyone can confirm they can also make 5 baht top up online that would be helpful for all reading this thread.  Please also let us know whether to do this via app or website.

The thread is here:

@Twod0gs I have been with CBA since I starting banking at school when I was 12.  Over the last month or more dealing with them it is apparent that their whole customer service system is totally unworkable.  It is beyond a joke.  They have currently suspended my Commsec trading account, my netbank account and my gold Mastercard.  Every single person that I have dealt with to date has an Indian name and most of them appear to have English as their second language.  I read years ago that some big Corporations in the States were deliberately using people with poor English in their complaint departments as an obfuscatory strategy.  Perhaps CBA has elected to do the same.  The written emails I have received from their complaint staff (all of which also have Indian names) are best described as gibberish.  Over the last week every single night the Netbank website has been down and not functioning properly with (Sorry we are have problems banners).  If you look at the reviews of their app on PlayStore you will see that people are rating it 1 Star and a hard fail.  In fact most people in the reviews indicate they have had enough and are moving to another bank.  As soon as they let me access my account to add myself as a new payee, I will be moving all of my funds away from the CBA.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, 4MyEgo said:

If things don't work out for you, consider this when back in Aus next time.

Buy a Vodaphone $20 365 day sim card, while in Oz, advise all institutes of your number, then put it on roaming, you will then receive OTP's whenever you want to do a transaction. 

I do this for the simple reason that from my experience banks in Aus won't send OTP's to international numbers, I might be wrong but CBA & ING advised me they don't, so this is the reason I went this way and it works fine, just got to make sure I charge the mobile every now and again.

Renewing the $20 365 sim is also easily done on line every year, that said, you wouldn't use the mobile for anything else as the roaming charges for any calls or texts would chew up your $20 credit so quick it wouldn't be funny. 

How much does it cost to receive the SMS?

13 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

@Bruno123is correct in his comment regarding top up at orange box/kiosk.  It does carry a running balance so you can theoretically insert 144 baht in coins and process 12 x 10 baht top ups.

I checked one out here in the village just a day or so ago.  And did a test payment (up until payment requested) on the new AIS SIM i purchased.  When I got back to my house it dawned on me that the kiosk was located outside a shop were the Delta outbreak originated that ended up in us being barricaded into our home for 21 days by the Army a short while back.  I promptly washed my hands thoroughly.

In the wake of Covid, and other hygiene related risks, online top up is probably a safer, if not more convenient option.

In my other thread here it has been noted that there is a shop now on lazada that sells tops ups for all SIM providers including AIS.  There is a 10 baht option.  I have never tried this but it does have tens of thousands of 5 star reviews. Perhaps it is possible to add 12 x 10 baht top ups to your shopping cart and then check out to get 1 year of validity?  Of course using this option carries some risk of using your credit card.  Topping up at a village kiosk avoids that risk.

Another member, @Puccini has also commented on the other thread that his bank allows him to type in the amount of his top up.  He said that he tops up his AIS SIM at (5 baht) per time to get his 12 month validity.  I have asked him to confirm what bank he uses and if he uses their app or website to make the top up payments.

If anyone can confirm they can also make 5 baht top up online that would be helpful for all reading this thread.  Please also let us know whether to do this via app or website.

The thread is here:

@Twod0gs I have been with CBA since I starting banking at school when I was 12.  Over the last month or more dealing with them it is apparent that their whole customer service system is totally unworkable.  It is beyond a joke.  They have currently suspended my Commsec trading account, my netbank account and my gold Mastercard.  Every single person that I have dealt with to date has an Indian name and most of them appear to have English as their second language.  I read years ago that some big Corporations in the States were deliberately using people with poor English in their complaint departments as an obfuscatory strategy.  Perhaps CBA has elected to do the same.  The written emails I have received from their complaint staff (all of which also have Indian names) are best described as gibberish.  Over the last week every single night the Netbank website has been down and not functioning properly with (Sorry we are have problems banners).  If you look at the reviews of their app on PlayStore you will see that people are rating it 1 Star and a hard fail.  In fact most people in the reviews indicate they have had enough and are moving to another bank.  As soon as they let me access my account to add myself as a new payee, I will be moving all of my funds away from the CBA.  

CBA?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

The thread is here:

Just a reminder; when you apply for the MNP code via SMS; to actually use the passport number with which you registered, as opposed to your new passport number.

When you register with AIS; of course you will register with your current passport.

A bit too much drama over the Boontherm device. you don't need to touch it using your fingers. The touchscreen will work using any implement.

Don't keep finding reason to stay indoors. You need to get out and about every day. ????Living inside your head is not a good strategy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Just a reminder; when you apply for the MNP code via SMS; to actually use the passport number with which you registered, as opposed to your new passport number.

When you register with AIS; of course you will register with your current passport.

A bit too much drama over the Boontherm device. you don't need to touch it using your fingers. The touchscreen will work using any implement.

Don't keep finding reason to stay indoors. You need to get out and about every day. ????Living inside your head is not a good strategy. 

I can't get mail to my house.  My mail box is about 30 minutes away.  Closest mall in Phuket with AIS and TRUE office is about 45 minutes away. 

Can you just explain to me, like I am a small child, or a golden retriever, how I get the porting code, and then more importantly how do I obtain a new AIS SIM and use the porting code.

Can I just use a new AIS SIM that I would buy at a mom and pop phone shop here and and then punch in the porting code via USSD.  And if so what exactly do I need to punch in.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regarding getting out and about, that is why I went to Phuket last week (It has just opened back up).  I visited a very old friend and played with his new toddler at the beach.  While I was there I went to the AIS office as I previously explained.