Warning for foreigners using True SIM to receive sms (otp) from their banks

Adumbration

I've read bits and pieces of the thread so this is perhaps unrelated and left field....

So I'm also with True.

Oz bank Westpac.

Recently I cannot pay anyone that I have not previously paid.

Requires OTP which does not appear in my messages.

So I had a new payee to attend to. Was not even going to bother. Point of difference was that it was a government body. Land taxes.

Gave it a try and no problem received a OTP to phone.

Wonders never cease.

To any other (new) payee it does not work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I've read bits and pieces of the thread so this is perhaps unrelated and left field....

So I'm also with True.

Oz bank Westpac.

Recently I cannot pay anyone that I have not previously paid.

Requires OTP which does not appear in my messages.

So I had a new payee to attend to. Was not even going to bother. Point of difference was that it was a government body. Land taxes.

Gave it a try and no problem received a OTP to phone.

Wonders never cease.

To any other (new) payee it does not work.

Yes  I have had similar thoughts about this...Just another way the Oz government is trying to make it more difficult for people to live outside the country.

• 7 months later...

I have the same problem with AIS. Bank is in Cyprus, stopped receiving OTP messages. Not possible to resolve, AIS keeps saying not their problem. It is obviously being blocked on the Thai gateway working above the mobile operators. 

• 4 months later...

Easy solution to the problem.

Thailand is fighting spam text messages and put a spam filter on all Sim cards.  Unfortunately that blocks most of the text messages from abroad too.

I run into the same issue with my OTP messages from my bank. Used True Mobile.

Call *137 and deactivate the Spam filter. 

Problem solved. 

• Thanks 1

that also solves the problem if you are using a foreign sim card for your OTCs.

You just have to change the roaming network to True-h on your foreign sim card (or if you know how to deactivated the spam filter on other providers... you can also change to their network of course)

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I am running into the same problem. I have AIS for 12 years. Received sms from my French bank with no problem until 12/2022.

Lost my phone, got a new sim card with same number and new phone. I need only to receive 1 OTP SMS from my bank to activate my bank security pass on my new phone.

But I don't receive it. It has been back and forth with AIS and my French bank for 3 weeks going nowhere as described by many in the thread and I am stuck. 

Found this thread and read it entirely. Outside of an overseas sim card is there a solution?

*137 does not work, my sms settings is not restricted already, spam filter is already off.

Before reading this thread I thought transfering my number to DTAC (change my mobile operator) but from what I read it did not help others...

If anyone has an advice to get out of this situation I would really appreciate.

Cheers!

Edited by Mactao
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mactao said:

Hello,

I am running into the same problem. I have AIS for 12 years. Received sms from my French bank with no problem until 12/2022.

Lost my phone, got a new sim card with same number and new phone. I need only to receive 1 OTP SMS from my bank to activate my bank security pass on my new phone.

But I don't receive it. It has been back and forth with AIS and my French bank for 3 weeks going nowhere as described by many in the thread and I am stuck. 

Found this thread and read it entirely. Outside of an overseas sim card is there a solution?

*137 does not work, my sms settings is not restricted already, spam filter is already off.

Before reading this thread I thought transfering my number to DTAC (change my mobile operator) but from what I read it did not help others...

If anyone has an advice to get out of this situation I would really appreciate.

Cheers!

I am sorry but I cannot give you any good news. This issue, quiet literally nearly resulted in me having a nervous breakdown.  If you read my posts this was during the height of covid and I desperately needed to tx money in case of any emergency medical issues.

I was not receiving SMS from both of my Australia banks.  Spent days and hundreds of dollars on the phone to the banks and True and AIS when I changed sims.  Just resulted in a tennis match....banks say checked everything problem at Thai end....Thai telecos say checked everything problem at bank end.

I had a very rich old friend in Canada send me a credit card linked to his account so that took care of the emergency requirments.

To this day I am still not receiving SMS from one of the banks.

The other just started to work again several months back.

In the wake of this situation I intend to move a good deal of my capital into the crypto space and away from banks.  Now that Thai gubberment are tinkering with inbound remittance tax laws there is even more encouragement to do so.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Haha 1