Tablet for 3 year old boy

steveb5

9 hours ago, fangless said:
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We’re not talking about kids glued to trashy cartoons all day long without supervision - everyone knows this is wrong.

Do they really?

It seems you are projecting your ignorance and assuming every other parent would allow their child unfettered and unsupervised access to an iPad / tablet.

A ‘resource’ such as an iPad / Tablet is not evil because ’some’ parents can’t adequately parent and use intelligent balance with such devices. 

Those same kids who’s parent allow children unsupervised and uncontrolled access to iPads / Tablets are the same kids who’s parents let them sit in front of the TV all day long - its not the device which is the issue, its the lazy supervision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems you are projecting your ignorance and assuming every other parent would allow their child unfettered and unsupervised access to an iPad / tablet

as its a Thai forum I d say yes to that, the vast majority of  Thais

The question was posed by a Westerner on a forum populated primarily by Westerners. 

I know a lot of Thai families - they are all cautious of the time their children spend on electronics. 

A lot of people are projecting their own flawed impressions based on flawed assumptions of what others do. 

When they go to a noodle stall and see the child of the working parent watching trash on an iPad / Tablet they assume ALL Thai children are watching trash on iPads.

A lot of them may be, but to then conclude that iPads / Tablets are evil tools and should be avoided presents an extremely flawed and myopic opinion based on assumptions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fangless said:

NO. 

At that age it should be instead of it! 

The parents might actually learn something by reading out loud to their kids!

I have to ask this question fangless..... Have you ever had children, and if so, was it recently at the time when iPads / Tablets were readily available ?

I do believe you are drawing some ill-informed opinions based on the negatives of a minority without actually knowing how valuable these tools [iPads / Tablets] are to the balanced and careful majority. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think you have all missed the point that the OP is talking about a Tablet for a 3YO NOT about the benefits of Tablets/computers etc in the general Education of older children with which I totally agree.  A Tablet etc is NOT suitable for a 3Yo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of people are projecting their own flawed impressions based on flawed assumptions of what others do. 

Might be fine for a minority of reasonably well  off  Thais  in BKK but out in the boonies they sit em in front of a screen  all day  long, and they aint looking at Planets

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

An iPad / Tablet presents a world wide library of information at a childs fingertips, books, Apps, Videos...  a book is just one book.

An iPad / Tablet should never replace a book - but as a complimentary educational tool iPad / Tablet are outstanding, they have the added benefit of providing entertainment. 

Totally agree but NOT for 3Yo children.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, fangless said:

I think you have all missed the point that the OP is talking about a Tablet for a 3YO NOT about the benefits of Tablets/computers etc in the general Education of older children with which I totally agree.  A Tablet etc is NOT suitable for a 3Yo.

Au contraire, he asked: 

"I'm looking to buy a tablet for my 3-year-old son. Looking for something that has decent specs and not too expensive. I see some Chinese brands on Lazada but difficult to tell only looking at a picture. Anyone have any experience."

He specifically asked about specs, price and brand, it was others like yourself that started the whole suitability of giving a 3 y/o a smart device.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Might be fine for a minority of reasonably well  off  Thais  in BKK but out in the boonies they sit em in front of a screen  all day  long, and they aint looking at Planets

This is the mistake people are making when projecting this onto ‘every child’ with an iPad / Tablet. 

Without responsible parenting pretty much any child is going to suffer with or without an iPad.

They’d otherwise just be placed in-front of the TV or Phone.

This does not mean the iPad / Tablet is not an exceptional resource - it just means some parents are absolutely CR@P....  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fangless said:

An iPad / Tablet presents a world wide library of information at a childs fingertips, books, Apps, Videos...  a book is just one book.

An iPad / Tablet should never replace a book - but as a complimentary educational tool iPad / Tablet are outstanding, they have the added benefit of providing entertainment. 

Expand  

Totally agree but NOT for 3Yo children.  

Even at 2 years old the iPad provided useful education for our Son...  nursery rhymes, ABC songs... 

Even chilled shows such as ‘In the Night Garden’ and ’TeleTubbies’...  dancing to the Wiggles etc...  All things which compliment parenting and education rather than ‘replacing it’.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1