Entry Requirements Regarding Insurance

KhaoYai

Guys, I've started this thread specifically to try and iron out the queries regarding the insurance requirements in the new entry rules. Posts regarding insurance easily get lost in all the other comments.

Please keep the discussion to that subject and not to whether its a rip off, crazy or anything else other than information:

Following the confirmation of the new entry rules there still seems to be some clarity needed regarding the stated $50,000 US health insurance requirement.

The $100,000 insurance required under the previous was, I believe, Covid specific.  I read posts last year where people were having problems because the Thai authorities were adamant that the policy must specifically state it covered Covid 19 to the tune of $100,000 US.  The Thai authorities must have done some sort of deal with the TGIA who then offered cover for a fixed price, depending on your country of origin and the length of your stay.  I belive that was the best insurance to buy in terms of its compliance with the entry requirements. However, the TGIA website is still offering the previous $100,000 insurance with no mention of the new rules. https://covid19.tgia.org/

If anyone has any specific information on the new insurance requirements - such as, is it general health insurance with Covid cover? Or if you are aware of where such insurance can be purchased, please post it here so other members can benefit.

I haven't tried to buy cover in my home country (UK) yet but I suspect many insurers will exclude Covid.

For the benefit of UK members, this is what the Royal Thai Embassy in London's website says:

'Foreigners need to provide health insurance with a minimum treatment coverage of 50,000 USD or equivalent in any other currencies.' - Very vague.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

it's only $50k for covid, no need for health insurance.

You can get one for year for 15k, limit 75 year, no underlying and gestation 14 days. Covers only thailand.

https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/portal/coronavirus-covid-19-insurance/ONCOVIDL

I have opted for health insurance for twice as much (and 300k deductible), but all medical conditions worldwide cover. 

I have chosen pacific maximus. I also got extra outpatient unlimited cover for some 5k and accident up to 1mln for 1200b. Total 35k. 

Policy starts just before I came back to thailand

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, internationalism said:

it's only $50k for covid, no need for health insurance.

You can get one for year for 15k, limit 75 year, no underlying and gestation 14 days. Covers only thailand.

I have opted for health insurance for twice as much (and 300k deductible), but all medical conditions worldwide cover. 

I have chosen pacific maximus. I also got extra outpatient unlimited cover for some 5k and accident up to 1mln for 1200b. Total 35k. 

Policy starts just before I came back to thailand

I'm presuming that's for people residing in Thailand? How about travellers?

I'm guessing that we will also be required to get cover for the length of time we are stamped in for rather than the duration of our stay - as with the previous 100K requirement.  That will catch a lot travellers out if it is - I doubt the 'real tourists' they are targeting read Thai visa.

49 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Not quite. Yes it had to specify Covid was covered but it didn't have to be a Covid specific policy, your normal health insurance was fine as long as you could get clear and precise confirmation it would cover Covid. TGIA was a "cheap" workaround for those that couldn't satisfy the requirement or didn't already have a health policy.

Fair enough - I only looked at the cover provided on the TGIA website as normal travel insurance is impossible for me.  That was Covid specific - as far as I know, it wasn't general health insurance.

This is going to get very expensive I suspect.  I just got a quote from LV for the period of travel only (they want you to state what date you return to the UK) - £105 for 19 days and that cover was in fact, useless to me as I had to tell porkies.

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Fair enough - I only looked at the cover provided on the TGIA website as normal travel insurance is impossible for me.

The issue of not being able to get (affordable) insurance is certainly a problem for a fairly large cohort.

How do you intend entering Thailand? There's workarounds to minimise the cost if you fall into that cohort depending on type of entry and length of intended stay.

• Thanks 1

As far as I can see most of the websites that offered US$ 100,000 Covid insurance have not been updated.  They are probably waiting for a bit of clarity along with many of us.

There is quite a big mass market here. I suspect in a week or so they will all be scrabbling for business. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

How do you intend entering Thailand? There's workarounds to minimise the cost if you fall into that cohort depending on type of entry and length of intended stay.

Its OK, I've previously been put off by extortionately high prices for general health insurance due to having a 'pre-existing condition' - and I mean extortionate, 3 times as much! Its something I've never understood as anything to do with or connected to my 'pre-existing condition' would, understanably be excluded from cover. My ailment would have no effect on my liability to injury or any other illness.

Anyway, I've just managed to get 12 months multi-trip travel (max 45 days in any one trip - unlimited trips per year) insurance with a high level of cover at what I consider to be a very good price £144 with disclosure of my 'pre-existing condition'.  Compared to the figure of £105 for a single trip without disclosure, that ain't bad.  It seems that 'pre-existing conditions' are not treated the same for travel insurance as they are for general health insurance - that of course may depend on what the 'pre-existing condition' is.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

Here is a link to an article about foreigners unpaid hospital bills.

Destitute foreigners in Thailand and unpaid hospital bills - Pattaya Mail

I can understand that the Government might be concerned about Baht 450 million

in unpaid hospital bills. It does, however, seem that a requirement for US$ 50,000 insurance is excessive. The article refers to the Baht 300 levy for incoming tourists, part of which was to deal with this problem.

What is not stated is the breakdown between short term tourist and long stay expats. That would be an interesting statistic if available.

Maybe of interest to some. If you are an expat re-entering Thailand your insurance only has to be taken out to cover you until you next apply for your extension. So a 1 year policy isn't required. Maybe just a month or so. 

Giving this some thought, I think there is a possibility of problems regarding this new insurance requirement. I say new because previously it was clearly aimed at Covid 19  and I believe the cover recommended by many of the Thai embassies only covered Covid.. Now its called 'Health Insurance'. I believe Health Insurance is required for long term stayers with O-A visa status and the suspicion is that it will become a requirement for all long term visa holders.

However, Health Insurance and Travel Insurance with Medical Cover are two distinct items. Many tourists have annual multi trip Travel Insurance already and it can usually only be obtained in your home country if you are normally resident there and registered with a GP. They are not going to be at all happy if they find that they also have to buy Thai 'Health Insurance'.

Given that the aim of the new entry requirements is to 'kickstart' the Thai tourist industry - what they should be asking for is Travel Insurance with Medical Cover that includes Covid 19. Health Insurance is for people living in Thailand.

The optimist in me hopes that this is just another misunderstanding of the English language and my Travel Policy will be fine but the pessimist in me foresees problems.

Reading through the cover I've just bought, I'm almost certain I'm going to have to ask for a letter from the insurers giving a summary of the medical cover.  I fully understand all the terms, conditions and exclusions in the 9 page schedule and 39 page policy booklet but I've only ever met one Thai who would and he grew up in the USA.

Edited by KhaoYai

26 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Maybe of interest to some. If you are an expat re-entering Thailand your insurance only has to be taken out to cover you until you next apply for your extension. So a 1 year policy isn't required. Maybe just a month or so. 

The previous cover when quarantine was actually called quarantine had to cover you for at least the period you were stamped in for. So (for most) those entering on visa exempt would need 30 days cover, those on tourist visas - 60 and those on Non O's 90 days.  I can't see this one being any different.

That brings about another potential problem with getting 'Health Insurance' in your home country.  I checked 3 companies and for Single Trip Insurance, you had to specify the date your trip began and when it ended - the cover would only be for that period, it must match the dates on your air ticket and no Single Trip cover was available for those holding 'Open Tickets'. Therefore, unless other insurers will cover you for your stamped in period rather than the actual length of your planned trip. there's going to be problems.

If that's unclear, I asked:

My trip is from 29 December to 18 January but I may need cover for 30 days as I will be allowed to stay for 30 days.

I was told:

We don't offer that sir, the insurance must coincide with your travel ticket dates.

How about Open Tickets:

We don't cover Open Tickets on Single Trip policies. (The max per trip on those I enquired about was 45 days but I believe longer is available)

Edited by KhaoYai

14 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm guessing that we will also be required to get cover for the length of time we are stamped in for rather than the duration of our stay - as with the previous 100K requirement. 

I came back about 3 weeks ago under the previous requirement. I was stamped in until the end of my extension next August but insurance only valid till mid Dec this year.

This is all very confusing. I’ll get an extension until December 31st, 2022 in December. I’m going to the UK from December 15th until March 2nd, so I guess I’ll need 10 months’ cover of some kind. That could be expensive. 

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I came back about 3 weeks ago under the previous requirement. I was stamped in until the end of my extension next August but insurance only valid till mid Dec this year.

So, you only purchased two months’ insurance but staying for 10 months? If so, I guess I could do the same (see my previous post). Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

This is all very confusing. I’ll get an extension until December 31st, 2022 in December. I’m going to the UK from December 15th until March 2nd, so I guess I’ll need 10 months’ cover of some kind. That could be expensive. 

1 year covid policy is 15k per year (this company doesn't offer shorter), needs 14 days gestation

25 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The previous cover when quarantine was actually called quarantine had to cover you for at least the period you were stamped in for. So (for most) those entering on visa exempt would need 30 days cover, those on tourist visas - 60 and those on Non O's 90 days.  I can't see this one being any different.

That brings about another potential problem with getting 'Health Insurance' in your home country.  I checked 3 companies and for Single Trip Insurance, you had to specify the date your trip began and when it ended - the cover would only be for that period, it must match the dates on your air ticket and no Single Trip cover was available for those holding 'Open Tickets'. Therefore, unless other insurers will cover you for your stamped in period rather than the actual length of your planned trip. there's going to be problems.

My trip is from 29 December to 18 January but I may need cover for 30 days as I will be allowed to stay for 30 days.

I was told:

We don't offer that sir, the insurance must coincide with your travel ticket dates.

How about Open Tickets:

We don't cover Open Tickets on Single Trip policies. (The max per trip on those I enquired about was 45 days but I believe longer is available)

This is what I got with my flight ticket.

insurance sample_a.pdf

5 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

So, you only purchased two months’ insurance but staying for 10 months? If so, I guess I could do the same (see my previous post). Thanks. 

I didn't purchase insurance, I had a return ticket and the insurance came with the ticket.

50 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I didn't purchase insurance, I had a return ticket and the insurance came with the ticket.

but wiggy is travelling from thailand, his free insurance from airline will cover abroad, but not in thailand on his return in March.

If you travel to thailand from outside, yes emirates insurance does cover.

Travellers do get by with emirates fare, just by buying thrown away ticket (or renting ticket on the net for some $10 per week) within a month. But it's playing game which might backfire

Edited by internationalism

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was told:

How about Open Tickets:

The below is from a reputable broker yesterday.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 at 09:58, mal  wrote:

Hi again Chris.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. “entering Thailand the cover has to be for the length of their trip or visa.” My retirement extension is due for renewal next April 17th. If I were to travel to Australia & return to Thailand during March, the medical & Covid insurance would only be required from the date of my re-entry until April 17th. ?  Or an I misunderstanding ?

Thanks…..

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Correct. However if you extend your visa, your immigration office might set their own conditions over and above what is required. Each office makes their own rules up as they go along even if they are completely wrong. I'm sure you have had plenty of frustrations in the past dealing with Thai authority!! If it happens just "go with the flow". It is pointless arguing as you will get nowhere.

Clear as mud!!

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Trust this explains why I offered that the medical, Covid insurance could be purchased for a minimal time. My understanding is minimum is 30 days.

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm guessing that we will also be required to get cover for the length of time we are stamped in for rather than the duration of our stay - as with the previous 100K requirement.  That will catch a lot travellers out if it is - I doubt the 'real tourists' they are targeting read Thai visa

Did anybody get a definite answer about the validity yet?

• Thanks 1