Entry Requirements Regarding Insurance

KhaoYai

2 hours ago, SunsetT said:

This is now very clear and accurate. Before it was min. $100k. So now relaxed for those entering Thailand. Also irrelevant if entering with Farang insurance as the medical cover far exceeds this; Mostly £10million, sometimes £5million from the UK. The policy only needs to clearly specify that the medical cover includes for Covid19, either on the certificate, in the policy schedule, or in a letter from the insurers to be accepted for entry to Thailand. Also at the moment Health insurance specifying Covid cover which is acceptable to the Thai authorities is automatically included in any flight booked with Emirates. Up to 364 days for a return flight but only 31days for 1 way.

I hope you are correct. However, I would not call it clear - as I said in a previous post, Health Insurance and Travel Insurance are two separate entities.  In my opinion the Thai authorities are creating confusion by calling it Health Insurance - I don't think that's what they actually want - not for tourists anyway.

Yes, you could say I'm splitting hairs but think back to when quarantine entry started a few months back - there were quite a few reports from people who clearly had cover on their existing travel policies but when submitting them for COE they were told to provide a letter expressly stating that Covid was covered to the tune of $100,000 US.  The Thai authorities clearly did not understand that if a policy covered medical emergencies, hospital treatment and repatriation - Covid was covered. It would have to be specifically excluded for it not to be.

Its down to interpretation on the day and as we see in other fields, there is no consistency in that matter.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

I came back about 3 weeks ago under the previous requirement. I was stamped in until the end of my extension next August but insurance only valid till mid Dec this year.

Then you were very lucky and this shows the inconsistency.  There have been plenty of posts from people who had been told they must have cover for the duration they are stamped in for.  They may be applying different rules for those on extensions - just remember that the aim of these new entry rules is to stimulate tourism.  This is not really about people who live in Thailand on extensions - its about short term entrants.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

Thailand appears to change policy on medical insurance for visitors

The latest notice from the Department of Consular Affairs and the Tourist Authority of Thailand specifies that the medical cover required of all foreigners entering the country must be widely based: it mustn’t relate only to coronavirus illness.  The text in English reads, “Medical insurance with a minimum coverage of US$50,000 should be a broad policy, not specific to Covid-19 only, and cover hospitalization expenses.”

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/thailand-appears-to-change-policy-on-medical-insurance-for-visitors-377436

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The previous cover when quarantine was actually called quarantine had to cover you for at least the period you were stamped in for. So (for most) those entering on visa exempt would need 30 days cover, those on tourist visas - 60 and those on Non O's 90 days. 

Sorry, I do not fully understand yet and what to do in my situation. I will enter on December 24 with visa exemption. I have a AETNA insurance in Thailand since years. I know I need to upgrade to reach the US$ 50.000 coverage and I know a statement from AETNA is needed that Covid19 is included.

After 30 days I will apply for 15 more days and then to extend for 1 year the retirement "status" with re-entry permit. This will be possible after some 40 days after entering LOSO - is this correct? Do I need to apply for 90 days before I can apply retirement?

I got retirement visa since some 15 years but my visa extension expired 1 year ago. Thus I have to start the visa issue from scratch and I forgot the procedure. Whereas the insurance still exists for one more year starting next week and the lease for my condo is up to date.

So what about the Covid insurance when entering LOSO? Do I need to do (pay and show) it only for the first 30 days or including the extension for 45 days or for 90 days or already now for 1 entire year or starting 1 year when applying the retirement extension?

Happy for any reliable inputs !

5 minutes ago, AlfonsV said:

Do I need to do (pay and show) it only for the first 30 days or including the extension for 45 days or for 90 days or already now for 1 entire year or starting 1 year when applying the retirement extension?

You only need it for 30 days.

BTW, you will get 30 day extension on visa exempt.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

I traveled from Thailand, you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

You bought a return ticket with Emirates from Thailand as original destination and the insurance which was included was valid. Am I right?

This requirement is very confusing... I have a medical insurance (covers 'only' 500.000baht), pay social security, have vaccine. Still, I need to pay more ....

Edited by JayLeno

1 minute ago, JayLeno said:

Do you have an official source? I remember your post regarding this question but it hasn't been confirmed, or did I miss something

From the FAQs put out by Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

1329028297_Facebook(11).png.689f422c6b6653ae83f776b5558c5d1c.png  https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/photos/pcb.4764406356916074/4764405376916172

On 10/29/2021 at 10:56 AM, internationalism said:

it's only $50k for covid, no need for health insurance.

That appears to be wrong given the receny posts and the fact that this time they have actually asked for Health Insurance.

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Then you were very lucky and this shows the inconsistency.  There have been plenty of posts from people who had been told they must have cover for the duration they are stamped in for. 

I think you are wrong, asking a question has never meant you will get the right answer. Whether on this forum or the embassy those doing the telling will say what suits.

I had my insurance checked at about 5 different points, bit much to say luck or inconsistency came into it.

17 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The Thai authorities clearly did not understand that if a policy covered medical emergencies, hospital treatment and repatriation - Covid was covered. It would have to be specifically excluded for it not to be.

Its down to interpretation on the day and as we see in other fields, there is no consistency in that matter.

More Thai bashing unsubstantiated allegations.

It was well into the pandemic before insurance companies started amending policy, many older certificates would have still been in use. Not unreasonable to ask for the certificate to be updated.

I am an 83 year old living in Thailand on a non O visa expiring September 2022.  I wish to travel to the UK for 10 days in June 2022 . It looks as though I need covid insurance/and or health insurance. Anyone know, for sure, any company that offers insurance for someone my age? I trawled the net yesterday without success but just maybe there is a company out there? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pattaya1234was said:

I am an 83 year old living in Thailand on a non O visa expiring September 2022.  I wish to travel to the UK for 10 days in June 2022 . It looks as though I need covid insurance/and or health insurance. Anyone know, for sure, any company that offers insurance for someone my age? I trawled the net yesterday without success but just maybe there is a company out there? 

you can take travel insurance in the uk from june to september (about 3 months) or allow to laps your non O (don't do re-entry permit) and enter on shorter travel insurance 

I think you are wrong, asking a question has never meant you will get the right answer. Whether on this forum or the embassy those doing the telling will say what suits.

I had my insurance checked at about 5 different points, bit much to say luck or inconsistency came into it.

I'm not here to argue with you - I'm simpy saying that there were plenty of people who had their COE rejected because it didn't cover the period they would be stamped in for, some of the reported that on here.

As with many things relating to Thai rules etc. they are often unclear and open to interpretation.  By sharing experiences and sources we might arrive at what its actually required.  It isn't very helpful when you say that you don't need insurance covering your entire stay - you are resident in Thailand, the vast majority of travellers are not.

Edited by KhaoYai

More Thai bashing unsubstantiated allegations.

It was well into the pandemic before insurance companies started amending policy, many older certificates would have still been in use. Not unreasonable to ask for the certificate to be updated.

I'm not Thai bashing at all.  My mate's insurance clearly stated that he was covered for £10 million for any disease, illness or accident that required medical treatment or hospitalisation - it also covered repatriation of necessary. He was asked to provide a letter from his insurers that stated he was covered for Covid. What is Covid?  Not a disease? Not an illness?  They clearly did not understand that Covid would have to be specifically excluded for it not to be covered.

That is not unsubstantiated, nor is it incorrect - its a fact. 

I do not engage in 'Thai bashing' but I do CRITICISE them (as I would with any country) when they are wrong or fail to understand international principles - as they are doing now by requiring 'Health Insurance' without specifying what they mean by Health Insurance.  As I said in an earlier post - Health Insurance and Travel Insurance are 2 distinct animals.  I'm told that some Health Insurance policies can include travel but it is not the norm.

In the majority of cases Health Insurance is an annual cover for the resident of a particular country and only covers them whilst they are there. It cannot be obtained for a 2 week holiday.

Travel insurance covers what it says on the tin.

Edited by KhaoYai

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

It isn't very helpful when you say that you don't need insurance covering your entire stay - you are resident in Thailand, the vast majority of travellers are not.

Do not try and make out I said something I didn't.

At no time did I say that you don't need insurance to cover the entire stay, I said I was stamped in for longer than the validity of the insurance, obviously you don't accept that the entire stay is the period between arrival and departure.

Are you seriously trying to say that travelers that are not resident in Thailand will not come and go back again.

50 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Do not try and make out I said something I didn't.

At no time did I say that you don't need insurance to cover the entire stay, I said I was stamped in for longer than the validity of the insurance, obviously you don't accept that the entire stay is the period between arrival and departure.

Are you seriously trying to say that travelers that are not resident in Thailand will not come and go back again.

Please do not try to turn this into and argument. You were clearly arguing with the fact that people had already reported that their insurance had been refused. As no details have been given - as usual with the Thai authorities (more Thai bashing?) yet, it is reasonable to assume the requirement will be the same this time.  You are a temporary resident on an extension of stay, they may well treat you differently.

'Are you seriously trying to say that travelers that are not resident in Thailand will not come and go back again.' 

Precisely where did I say that? Lots of people visit Thailand multiple times per year but I think the majority are tourists visiting once.

Yesterday when I spoke to an insurer I told them that I was travelling on 29 December and returning on 18 January but I wanted cover for 30 days as I would be stamped in for 30 days and that was liklely to be the requirement. They told me that they couldn't cover that on single trip insurance - they would only cover the period I was actually travelling for and that must correspond with the dates on my ticket.

What I'm trying to do is compile some information that will be helpful - given the vague requirement we currently have which is simply 'Health Insurance for $50,000 US'.

Edited by KhaoYai

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm not here to argue with you - I'm simpy saying that there were plenty of people who had their COE rejected because it didn't cover the period they would be stamped in for, some of the reported that on here.

All these people that had their COE rejected, how did they fly to Thailand? On a return ticket from origin or a return leg to Thailand? The important point being you need to understand the implications involved, your comment on travel insurance puts that in doubt.

You don't know their flight details, but I would suspect the latter.

Like many on this forum you are not prepared to think outside the box and cannot stand anything that does not fall in line with the TVF way of thinking. Trying to rubbish what gets said is the default option.

15 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Please do not try to turn this into and argument. You were clearly arguing with the fact that people had already reported that their insurance had been refused.

Wrong again, I did not argue with anything.

This was your words, implying that I had not followed your way of thinking.

"Then you were very lucky and this shows the inconsistency."

On 10/29/2021 at 7:45 PM, CRUNCHER said:

As far as I can see most of the websites that offered US$ 100,000 Covid insurance have not been updated.  They are probably waiting for a bit of clarity along with many of us.

There is quite a big mass market here. I suspect in a week or so they will all be scrabbling for business. 

I've just checked with the company I used in July 2020 in enter Thailand.

A  6 month policy $100K policy cost me 12,200 Baht.

Today a 6 Month $100K policy is magically 23,000 Baht!  1 year is 43,000 Baht.

What's the betting when they adjust it to a $50K policy they "reduce" it back 13,000 Baht again?   

22 hours ago, internationalism said:

you can take travel insurance in the uk from june to september (about 3 months) or allow to laps your non O (don't do re-entry permit) and enter on shorter travel insurance 

He's non resident in the UK - I doubt he can buy UK travel insurance - (I couldn't).  They might not check his residency  but  if he did it wouldn't cover him for anything (I understand sometimes we just buy paper).   

• Thanks 1