Foreign land ownership

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

... and you REALLY believe that sh!t?

The lawyer was from your village, right?

I believe something's going to happen but as long as there's restrictions such as price and/or location, it doesn't really solve the problems that not being able to own land causes for married couples.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:09 AM, KhunLA said:

If I was going to spend 10 mill on a house, it wouldn't be in Thailand.

10 million don't get you much in my home country unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere lol ????

Real estate (villas etc) are cheap in Thailand compared to my home nation. Where else can you build a 2 or 3 bedroom house with a pool completely fitted out with furniture for 300K?

I hope the rumour, or teaser propaganda does come true.

• Like 1

If I had to spend 10 million Baht on a house where I'd like to live, I'd have to purchase 10 Rais of land, and build a house with at least five bedrooms...

Edited by SymS
grammar!

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

If  you read the comments the Thais are going nuts about it . They think they are going to be priced out . I don’t blame them as inevitably they will . Budget housing will be a thing of the past as every developer will be looking to build a 10 million baht McMansion . 

If I sell my wife's 2Mbht home to a foreigner for 10Mbht will that count?

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If I sell my wife's 2Mbht home to a foreigner for 10Mbht will that count?

If they have a friend that stupid, send them my way.  I sell (not even finished yet), and start another project elsewhere.  Maybe surfside instead of a few kms away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

10 million don't get you much in my home country unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere lol ????

Real estate (villas etc) are cheap in Thailand compared to my home nation. Where else can you build a 2 or 3 bedroom house with a pool completely fitted out with furniture for 300K?

I hope the rumour, or teaser propaganda does come true.

I love posts like this. 300k (dollars I presume) can get you a pretty big house if you don't live in a major city.

And 300k can't get you a house in CBD either. 

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Can own the house, just can't own the land.  A fool's folly, but hey ... plenty out there.

Only if you are foolish enough to marry a wife you don't trust. and that does not only apply on real estate issues. 

I have been married for over 12 years, together for close to 15, I trust my wife with my life.  

• Like 1

Don't think you need to be married to 'own' a house.  But who would buy a house, and not want to own the land it sits on.  Again, a fool's folly.  You could only sell to someone as stupid as yourself, and that's a rare breed.

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Only if you are foolish enough to marry a wife you don't trust. and that does not only apply on real estate issues. 

I have been married for over 12 years, together for close to 15, I trust my wife with my life.  

I used to say that about my Brit wife of 30 years.

How wrong I was!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I used to say that about my Brit wife of 30 years.

How wrong I was!

If we ever got divorce she can have the house , god knows she deserve it for having put up with me for 15 years. If I ever got divorced I would never see Thailand again anyway. The only reason I am here is because of my wife. So what would I need a house here for?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

But who would buy a house, and not want to own the land it sits on. 

The land is transferred into my wife's name... she owns it... so, the answer is someone who wants their wife and family to own some land and a house... I do this often... buy mostly farmland for the family to use - - I don't need to own everything... just have enough until the day...

swing low, sweet chariot... 

7 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The land is transferred into my wife's name... she owns it... so, the answer is someone who wants their wife and family to own some land and a house... I do this often... buy mostly farmland for the family to use - - I don't need to own everything... just have enough until the day...

swing low, sweet chariot... 

My reply was to RoadWarrior, stating farang can't own house.  

Obviously if married or in trusting relationship, not an issue.  Usufruct protects anyone's investment when living in property, and POA even allows you total freedom, to sell if wanting.  Which I did when relationship to 1st wife ended.

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:09 AM, KhunLA said:

If I was going to spend 10 mill on a house, it wouldn't be in Thailand.

I invested 2 million on building a 6 bedroom 3 bathroom house on my wife's 1,000 squre metre block of land 6 years ago.

I was married with her for 10 years before deciding to retire and build, so my 10% loss is her gain, it's worth it for me in the long run, I just live in it and enjoy it for as long as she allows me too, can't win them all ????

Unless I am mistaken, the Thai national anthem still proudly declares that every piece of Thai land is owned by Thai people.

เป็นประชารัฐ ไผทของไทยทุกส่วน...

Until that changes, I would be suspicious of anyone making claims that foreigners can own land here.

Just saying, na' :wai:

4MyEgo ... yes, hard to lose investing in Thai RE...

I invested 2.4 mill on last house & land (6rai), and emphasis on 'invested', as needing a place to live for 5 more years in that area.  400 sqm under roof w/pool, 220 complete walled in on 2 rai.

Sold house + 1 rai for 3.2, I think, and 2 lots for 1.2, still have 1 parcel to sell, no less than 700k.  So now new house & land, less than 2 mill when done, is basically 'free'.???? This house will come with full solar, so no need for PEA.

Would I spend 2 mill, or 10 mill on a house here ... NO.  Invest ... yes.  The previous house was build with profit from the first house investment, so on #3 for me.  Actually it's the land part that has been giving ROI + profit.

Edited by KhunLA