Security at our building. Do you think its satisfactory?

We rent a building 4 levels- standard in many thai cities. Row of shops next to each other.

I asked a worker to weld more metal on the gate - you can see the squares. Basically before he did this, anyone from the other side of that gate could have put their hand through with bulk cutters and cut the lock on the inside. Now its not possible to fit ones hand through the square holes. It looks unattractive of course but I told the guy it doesnt matter as we rarely go up there.

I suppose Im interested to know if anyone could use a metal cutter on either of the photos and cut though the metal- the gate or the fence. How hard would it be for them to cut through these 2 options? 

I suppose Im concerned if we were to go away for a few days someone could enter the next door neighbours empty shop and could possibly do something during the day and no one would really care. It would probably just look like someone was working up there. 

We have valuable equipment in the building and thus Im trying to assess how good our physical security is. Im tempted to put a cctv camera up there as an extra deterrent.

Any opinions are appreciated. 

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5991.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg

• Haha 2

I'm no security expert, we have a K9 alarm system and a moat (no crocodiles).

A portable angle grinder or reciprocating saw would be through your sliding bolt in 30 seconds ????

You could possibly slow things down somewhat by welding a 5mm steel plate across that area on the outside or even a full height strip of 5mm to hide where the sliding bolt(s) are.

You also need to protect the hinge side from activities with portable power tools.

I might be tempted to sheath the whole of the outside, including the grille at the top in some decently thick steel, make sure that the sliding bolts and hinges are not visible or accessible through the door gap.

In reality though, anything you do is only going to slow the bad guys down, if they're really determined they'll come through the wall or roof.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Don't do yourself over in the event of a fire.

make sure you have a safe way out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly.....even if you have a plan...in a blind panic, smoke...it can all fall apart.

I always have a PEP every place I go and make the kids do the same.

• Like 1

How about moving to a area/place where you feel more safe? 

To answer your question, No I don`t think a random burglar is going to bother trying to break through that door. Unless he know you have something of great value in there and have the tools and skills to get the job done. 

Motion sensor alarm is effective if you are willing to pay the price. Getting a dog is also a option.

How often do you access the roof? Unless there is a way down some other way it does not look like a fire exit?

Which way does the door open? Inwards or outwards?

This

13 minutes ago, MrMilk said:

No I don`t think a random burglar is going to bother trying to break through that door. Unless he know you have something of great value in there and have the tools and skills to get the job done. 

No one is coming unless they know exactly what you have and exactly how to sell it on.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm no security expert, we have a K9 alarm system and a moat (no crocodiles).

A portable angle grinder or reciprocating saw would be through your sliding bolt in 30 seconds ????

You could possibly slow things down somewhat by welding a 5mm steel plate across that area on the outside or even a full height strip of 5mm to hide where the sliding bolt(s) are.

You also need to protect the hinge side from activities with portable power tools.

I might be tempted to sheath the whole of the outside, including the grille at the top in some decently thick steel, make sure that the sliding bolts and hinges are not visible or accessible through the door gap.

In reality though, anything you do is only going to slow the bad guys down, if they're really determined they'll come through the wall or roof.

Looks like a nice job.

Like Crossy says, if someone really wants to get in, they will.

Hopefully the bad guys will try to break into something thats easier than the setup you have.

You could also put in a Dummy CCTV camera with a blinking red light.  Lazada has them for a few bucks.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And half the time, I don't even lock my front doors.  Back door is never locked ... ????

Locks keep honest people out.  Anyone else who wants in, will get in.

My wife keeps the back door closed most of the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad: :sad::sad:  

Edited by Orinoco
  • Haha 2

On the flip side, the more secure and protected a place looks, the more a burglar might want to break in, thinking there's likely a lot of valuable stuff to steal.  I would have security that does not stand out too much from what the neighbors have and inside have a very secure room or large safe for valuable items.  

• Like 1

It's pretty hard to stop someone determined from entering, as others said a few mins with an angle grinder and they are in. As we were closing the sale on a place, someone broke in, they didn't cut the padlock but around the sliding bolt, got into a small room and pushed a step up under the staircase and got in.

Best best is make sure someone is on the property. When we go away we have family come and stay. Second best bet is contents insurance, I've got 1mb contents insurance. It doesn't cover cash or jewelry though, but things like computers, tv's, appliances are covered. 

Part of the stipulation is you need evidence to claim, so we have IPCAMs, we have cameras inside and out, and they upload/email clips when they detect motion. So if the cameras get destroyed there is evidence for insurance claim.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...