Quality mask in Thailand

stat

59 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Those masks with valves are no good in stopping infecting others. 

Thats why I only wear them outside or in the gym and BTW they still protect others more then not wearing a mask at all, so for example when working out in a gym where in Germany you can workout without a mask. So still my question remains on the avalibilty in Thailand, thanks

Edited by stat

at makro pharmacy. Also Lazada (thai ebay).

or rather get with activated carbon ones - those used by builders, painters and by bikers. Carbon filter doesn't have to be used all the time.

Smog season is coming. Will last till April.

In thailand valved masks is worn over the hospital one

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Those masks with valves are no good in stopping infecting others. 

Banned on airlines (I think).

The valve causes moisture to collect on the valve itself and the moisture is then expelled into the air.

• Like 2

Notoriously wandering off topic...vax versus anti vax.

Masks are easily available in Thailand, as is full PPE and Hazmat suits if needed.

I cannot vouch for mask efficacy, but if medical staff wear the blue surgical masks during surgery, I imagine they'd be ok to reduce the likelihood of spreading covid infection.

20 hours ago, stat said:

Thats why I only wear them outside or in the gym and BTW they still protect others more then not wearing a mask at all, so for example when working out in a gym where in Germany you can workout without a mask. So still my question remains on the avalibilty in Thailand, thanks

You're only telling half the truth here. 

In my gym at least you have to be either vaxxed, recovered or tested just to get in. You also have to book ahead for a 2 hour session. There is a max limit to the number allowed in at any one time. Masks are mandatory everywhere except the training floor.

I stopped going long before the government locked down because there were no precautions. But now I'm vaxxed and they are very strict, I go again. And wear a mask everywhere except the training floor - I tried doing cardio with a mask once and spent 30 minutes in slightly euphoric hypoxia - decided not to repeat the experiment ;D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Catoni said:

Well if others are wearing masks and/or vaccinated, they shouldn’t have to worry if someone else is wearing a mask with a valve, or even not wearing one at all. Or do their masks and vaccinations not really protect them after all ? 
  I stopped wearing the obedience face condom after I got both my Pfizer-BioNTech shots months ago. I’ll be 70 years old in November.  I refuse to live in fear and paranoia.  And I’ve never had Covid.  Not sick. 

"Obedience face condom" ...  ahh how the world turns

On 11/1/2021 at 3:43 AM, Fairynuff said:

My brother in law was just like you until he was on a ventilator aged 61 with no underlying conditions, fit and healthy. I’m not even gonna wish you luck, you clearly don’t need it

My cousin got killed in a motorcycle accident. Let’s ban them. Your brother in law is about one out of a thousand. More people than that have bad side effects and end up in hospital from taking aspirin. 
    For ages 50 - 69 years of age, survival rate if you get Covid is 99.5% according to the Centers for Disease Control. (CDC) 

I’ll be 70 next month, and haven’t worn a face condom in half a year since my second Pfizer-BioNTech shot. 
  Time to get back our normal free life. Not to live in fear.  
I had a 5% chance of dying during my Quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass open heart surgery.  And I did not go into that with fear either.

I refuse to live in fear. Living in fear is no way to live. 
I refuse to be afraid of Covid. I breathe free. No hiding behind a face condom. 
Quote: “The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."  - H. L. Mencken

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.” - H. L. Mencken

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”

- H. L. Mencken 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 11:06 AM, spetersen said:

Worried about the cost of masks and quality , OMG don't spend your hard earned money to come here , better to and safer to stay at home...

Amazing that you critize a fellow forum member for caring about his safety and the wellbeing of others by wearing quality masks. To my experience that are truly thai values as well.

Thanks to the other guys who gave an answer to my question!

Edited by stat

19 hours ago, Catoni said:

My cousin got killed in a motorcycle accident. Let’s ban them. Your brother in law is about one out of a thousand. More people than that have bad side effects and end up in hospital from taking aspirin. 
    For ages 50 - 69 years of age, survival rate if you get Covid is 99.5% according to the Centers for Disease Control. (CDC) 

I’ll be 70 next month, and haven’t worn a face condom in half a year since my second Pfizer-BioNTech shot. 
I had a 5% chance of dying during my Quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass open heart surgery.  And I did not go into that with fear either.

Quote: “The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."  - H. L. Mencken

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.” - H. L. Mencken

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”

- H. L. Mencken 

Like I care what happens to an anti vaxer

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2021 at 10:47 PM, Scott Tracy said:

Notoriously wandering off topic...vax versus anti vax.

Masks are easily available in Thailand, as is full PPE and Hazmat suits if needed.

I cannot vouch for mask efficacy, but if medical staff wear the blue surgical masks during surgery, I imagine they'd be ok to reduce the likelihood of spreading covid infection.

As a theatre nurse I wore masks every day as part of my job. They were worn to stop us expelling anything nasty DIRECTLY into an open wound. As the expired air can go in and out the sides of the mask, they would not have stopped someone beside us breathing in a virus that came out of our noses.

I'm not saying they don't have any effect, but IMO it reduces the chance, but doesn't eliminate it.

BTW, some surgeons didn't wear the mask over their noses at all- just the mouth to stop spray when talking. For really critical surgery, as in orthopedics, the surgeon sometimes uses a full head helmet connected to a filter box. Can't see those becoming popular on the street, though they would provide 100% protection.

On 11/4/2021 at 7:47 AM, Catoni said:

- H. L. Mencken 

What in the world does this have to do with finding quality masks in Thailand? 

Also curious what in what parts of Thailand you walk around without a mask?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

What in the world does this have to do with finding quality masks in Thailand? 

Also curious what in what parts of Thailand you walk around without a mask?

he is trolling from outside thailand. Pfizer in thailand is given only since the end of august.

I think in majority of countries still need to wear in public, even if vaccinated.

Thai will wear masks long after formal requirement is gone. Since the 4th wave many wear 2 masks to fit tighter.

that his quatation " I’ll be 70 next month, and haven’t worn a face condom in half a year since my second Pfizer-BioNTech shot. "

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

he is trolling from outside thailand. Pfizer in thailand is given only since the end of august.

I think in majority of countries still need to wear in public, even if vaccinated.

Thai will wear masks long after formal requirement is gone. Since the 4th wave many wear 2 masks to fit tighter.

that his quatation " I’ll be 70 next month, and haven’t worn a face condom in half a year since my second Pfizer-BioNTech shot. "

Availability of PFE vax is why I asked, as it doesn't seem he's living in Thailand.

Such a courageous antimasker trolling from afar...

On 11/1/2021 at 2:51 PM, Chris.B said:

You can have Covid without knowing you have it. The mask is there to stop you spreading the virus through your mouth and nose to others.

If one has it but does not know they do, how long do they have it for ?

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 2:33 PM, Catoni said:

Well if others are wearing masks and/or vaccinated, they shouldn’t have to worry if someone else is wearing a mask with a valve, or even not wearing one at all. Or do their masks and vaccinations not really protect them after all ? 

Masks provide varying levels of protection from the wearer inhaling virus material, depending on the quality/type of mask and how well it's fit on the wearer's face. Some are very effective for that like N95 masks, others like the drugstore ties kind, not so much.

But the other reason a responsible person would wear a mask is to also prevent themselves from potentially unknowingly becoming infected with the coronavirus and then spreading the virus to those around them, including those such as yourself who apparently refuse to wear a mask.

For better or worse, we still live in a world where people such as yourself sometimes have the freedom to act irresponsibly toward those around them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As a theatre nurse I wore masks every day as part of my job. They were worn to stop us expelling anything nasty DIRECTLY into an open wound. As the expired air can go in and out the sides of the mask, they would not have stopped someone beside us breathing in a virus that came out of our noses.

I'm not saying they don't have any effect, but IMO it reduces the chance, but doesn't eliminate it.

BTW, some surgeons didn't wear the mask over their noses at all- just the mouth to stop spray when talking. For really critical surgery, as in orthopedics, the surgeon sometimes uses a full head helmet connected to a filter box. Can't see those becoming popular on the street, though they would provide 100% protection.

If you were/are a theater nurse, then you surely should be aware of the N95 class masks made by 3M and others that are highly effective at both preventing the wearing from spreading a virus, as well as preventing the wearing from inhaling virus material.

What surgeon wear/wore in operating theaters to prevent themselves from potentially spreading their own germs to the patient in a pre COVID world is an entirely different scenario and situation from needing to protect both medical staff and patients from a highly contagious virus that's become a worldwide pandemic.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As a age 60+ person, I've been wearing face masks consistently since the beginning of the pandemic.

Are you also wearing full coverage goggles so the virus doesn't enter through your eyes ?  

https://www.med.umich.edu/kec/pdf/coronavirus-and-your-eyes-aao.pdf

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Are you also wearing full coverage goggles so the virus doesn't enter through your eyes ?  

https://www.med.umich.edu/kec/pdf/coronavirus-and-your-eyes-aao.pdf

The respiratory route has been the predominant means of transmission, far more than eyes or even surfacces contact... So I've worn N95 face masks ever since the start of the pandemic.

Though, I will admit, at the height of the pandemic in BKK earlier this year, when I had to go outside and mix with people on someplace like BTS, I also was wearing glasses and keeping my eyes closed at times,  just to be on the safer side. And cleaning my hands with alcohol gel, etc etc.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The respiratory route has been the predominant means of transmission, far more than eyes or even surfacces contact... So I've worn N95 face masks ever since the start of the pandemic.

Though, I will admit, at the height of the pandemic in BKK earlier this year, when I had to go outside and mix with people on someplace like BTS, I also was wearing glasses and keeping my eyes closed at times,  just to be on the safer side. And cleaning my hands with alcohol gel, etc etc.

This is more than one could expect from a fellow citizen, Kudos to you! Same here wearing top notch masks and gloves at all time when getting close to people,

KhunLa it would be nice if people would acknowledge that it is a multiplicative disease i.e. you endanger other if you don’t care and don’t wear a mask. Very few would care if you risk your live only and not wear a mask. If you inject heroin in your free time is up to you and none of my business as long as you don’t rob and steal for it. In a triage situation due to Covid, unvaccinated people should come dead last and pay their own medical bill and not rely on society or their insurance at all. That’s what true conservative or libertarian freedom loving is about.

t.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stat said:

KhunLa it would be nice if people would acknowledge that it is a multiplicative disease i.e. you endanger other if you don’t care and don’t wear a mask. 

I'm not a danger to anyone, can't be, as I do the social distancing thingy.  Besides, why fear me, y'all are vax'd and masked up.

• Sad 1