5-year driving licence renewal Pattaya: Recent requirements

My 5-year licence expires 3 March 2022, and I want to renew as early as possible at Pattaya LTD office:

• Is the earliest I can renew 3 (or 4) December 2021?

• Any change in the requirements since 5 years ago? (old licence, copies of passport with 1-year extension of stay, cert. of res. from Immigration, but NO pictures nor medical?)

• Can/must I book a date/time, and if yes, how do I do this?

I cannot find up-to-date info for Pattaya, and even going to the LTD today was totally a waste of time. I was just sent from one place to the next, by groups of idle staff clearly not interested in helping.

So I hope someone here can assist with recent info for the Pattaya LTD office. Thanks!

When I was about to go for my license renewal someone told me that if I went the day after it's expiration, my new license would be valid for 5 years +364 days . I was dubious but I gave it a try and it turned out to be true. Don't know if it still works or not.

EDIT: originally stated "a year plus 364 days".

Edited by placeholder
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

I have heard about that, but I prefer to play it safe and renew as early as possible. Especially in these uncertain times where a lockdown or special requirements and social distancing can make it more difficult. And driving without licence can get messy if in an accident...

That is what i meant. Thanks. I corrected it.

Edited by placeholder

This Is Thailand, i.e. TIT.

Your Thai driving license is good for up to one day short of one year after it expires.  You can renew it anytime within that time period and it will be valid from that date until five years after your next birthday plus one more year minus one day.  Basically your driving license can be valid up to seven years minus 2 days.

Like I said, TIT!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

Thanks for that info, I appreciate.

But if possible, I would like to do it myself. It used to be easy, but covid seems to have changed that...

I went there recently, sounds like you got most of the stuff if you are renewing both motorbike and car for whatever reason they want two residential certificates, what I did was take the original issue to a photo shop and xerox in color it was acceptable.

I'm a early bird opens at 8:30 am stand on the right side when they open given a number to wait downstairs when it was called you go upstairs provide the paperwork do the testing, watch a video, out the door.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I went there recently, sounds like you got most of the stuff if you are renewing both motorbike and car for whatever reason they want two residential certificates, what I did was take the original issue to a photo shop and xerox in color it was acceptable.

I'm a early bird opens at 8:30 am stand on the right side when they open given a number to wait downstairs when it was called you go upstairs provide the paperwork do the testing, watch a video, out the door.

Thanks, good info. So no booking required?

19 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Do you need the residence certificate if you have a work permit?

I did my 5 years (car and motorbike) just under a month ago at Banglamung when they re-opened for foreigners. The first day I got there about 11am, no signs anywhere and various places where people mull about, thankfully the GF was with me so she worked out where to get my paper queue number outside with covered seating provided. It took about 90 minutes to get called and I had my passport, my 2 year "temporary" D/L's that had expired by a few days, 2 residence certs from immigration, and (for safety, not sure if I needed them or not) 2 medical certificates (issued by any clinic for 100THB each) checked. They gave me an appointment for 4 days later at a set time and told me to photocopy my existing licenses. When I came back for my appointment the only "extra" I had to run across the road for was photocopies of the front and back of each existing D/L on the same page of A4 for each license (took a few minutes and a few THB to do that), my photocopies were originally rejected as I had done the front of each license on one page, and the back on another, rookie mistake I should have figured that. It took about a hour to do the traffic light colour test, the brake test, pay fee, go downstairs outside (with my newly issued queue number) to get my photo taken, then wait for the new licenses to be printed and given to me. The new D/L's expire on my birthday just over 5 years from now. Of course this was almost a month ago so maybe its changed since then

Edited by Aliflair
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

This Is Thailand, i.e. TIT.

Your Thai driving license is good for up to one day short of one year after it expires.  You can renew it anytime within that time period and it will be valid from that date until five years after your next birthday plus one more year minus one day.  Basically your driving license can be valid up to seven years minus 2 days.

Like I said, TIT!

Incorrect. If you drive on an expired license and get checked you will get a fine, if you escaped a fine you are lucky not legal.

To renew a license it can usually be done 3 months before expiration.

You are able to renew the license up to 1 year after it expires without doing anything different, that is where you are getting the faulty idea that the expired license is legal to drive on.

if you have a pink card you can register and watch the video online, which some offices require.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aliflair said:

I did my 5 years (car and motorbike) just under a month ago at Banglamung when they re-opened for foreigners. The first day I got there about 11am, no signs anywhere and various places where people mull about, thankfully the GF was with me so she worked out where to get my paper queue number outside with covered seating provided. It took about 90 minutes to get called and I had my passport, my 2 year "temporary" D/L's that had expired by a few days, 2 residence certs from immigration, and (for safety, not sure if I needed them or not) 2 medical certificates (issued by any clinic for 100THB each) checked. They gave me an appointment for 4 days later at a set time and told me to photocopy my existing licenses. When I came back for my appointment the only "extra" I had to run across the road for was photocopies of the front and back of each existing D/L on the same page of A4 for each license (took a few minutes and a few THB to do that), my photocopies were originally rejected as I had done the front of each license on one page, and the back on another, rookie mistake I should have figured that. It took about a hour to do the traffic light colour test, the brake test, pay fee, go downstairs outside (with my newly issued queue number) to get my photo taken, then wait for the new licenses to be printed and given to me. The new D/L's expire on my birthday just over 5 years from now. Of course this was almost a month ago so maybe its changed since then

Great info, thanks!  Good heads up for the copy of current licence, not needed 5 years ago IIRC. Was the medical certificates needed or not?

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Your Thai driving license is good for up to one day short of one year after it expires.

Ever ask your insurance company what they will do ?

They are the ones who will pay out - or not.

DLT gives you a year - but expired means exactly that - expired.

19 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Hire TikTok services in Jomtien. Painless.

Chayapruek Rd, a block from the beach. 

They book the appointment, provide the documents, pick you up at your room, a staff member is there early to hold your place in the queue and they walk you thru the processes. 

Reasonable prices?

16 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Reasonable prices?

They do allot of business so the fees are probably reasonable. 
Guess that depends on how tightfisted one is. 
I doubt any other agents in town are priced better. 

I don’t recall what I paid but the service was very prompt & professional. 

• Like 1

@MeaMaximaCulpa to answer your question, they certainly took the medical certificates, but I never found out if I actually needed them. I took them originally as I was hoping to get away with one visit to get it all done and dusted, but due to the booking system it didn't work out that way. If I remember rightly the cost of the car and motorbike licenses were around 700THB or so for both, and there was cost to get the residence and medical certificates, but very cheap overall do DIY IMO

1 hour ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

Great info, thanks!  Good heads up for the copy of current licence, not needed 5 years ago IIRC. Was the medical certificates needed or not?

A medical certificate is needed, though it is not yet shown on the DLT list of required documents for the 5 year license.

If you are getting both car and MC licenses, every office I know of will accept 1 original + 1 copy.

Also not shown is that most DLT offices will accept yellow book and pink card copies instead of immigration/embassy letter.

82D58CAD-E76F-400F-868D-41BFC0E428FD.thumb.jpeg.2c8ca21f552da98072f9b39ef6ab6dd7.jpeg

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

Edited by sometimewoodworker
Bold face added for emphasis

10 minutes ago, Aliflair said:

@MeaMaximaCulpa to answer your question, they certainly took the medical certificates, but I never found out if I actually needed them. I took them originally as I was hoping to get away with one visit to get it all done and dusted, but due to the booking system it didn't work out that way. If I remember rightly the cost of the car and motorbike licenses were around 700THB or so for both, and there was cost to get the residence and medical certificates, but very cheap overall do DIY IMO

Thanks again, I will be prepared to do a medical just in case. I only need car licence btw.

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A medical certificate is needed, though it is not yet shown on the DLT list of required documents for the 5 year license.

If you are getting both car and MC licenses, every office I know of will accept 1 original + 1 copy.

Also not shown is that most DLT offices will accept yellow book and pink card copies instead of immigration/embassy letter.

82D58CAD-E76F-400F-868D-41BFC0E428FD.thumb.jpeg.2c8ca21f552da98072f9b39ef6ab6dd7.jpeg

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

Thanks! Last time (5 years ago) no medical was required in Pattaya, and they did not accept the yellow book/pink card. But things tend to change, ebb and flo, also depending on what office you visit.

Just now, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

Thanks! Last time (5 years ago) no medical was required in Pattaya, and they did not accept the yellow book/pink card. But things tend to change, ebb and flo, also depending on what office you visit.

5 years ago the requirement for all licenses to have a medical certificate had not been added.

Pattaya DLT office is known to be less friendly to foreign applicants than many others.

you can renew your license at any DLT office you like, you are not limited to local ones.

13 minutes ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

Thanks again, I will be prepared to do a medical just in case. I only need car licence btw.

It is needed, some offices require that it be less than 7 days old some accept up to 1 month. Costs are extremely variable anywhere from ฿30 to  ฿400 + though the higher cost ones usually involves a doctor actually doing checks 

23 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

5 years ago the requirement for all licenses to have a medical certificate had not been added.

Pattaya DLT office is known to be less friendly to foreign applicants than many others.

you can renew your license at any DLT office you like, you are not limited to local ones.

I did notice the lack of friendlyness yesterday when I went there and left with no info.

A medical is not n unreasonable requirement for a driving licence, so I'm good with that.

But I was not aware I can use any LTD office for renewal, that is good to know if needed.

You can renew your 5-year licence at any DLT office. Mine expired in July and I got it renewed last month in Cha-am. You are meant to book an appointment and take a test online at:

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home/ForeignerIndex

I saw one chap turn up at 9am without an appointment and he was told to come back at 11am when they would process his renewal.

Documents required:

1. Original and signed copy of Thai driving licence (both sides)

2. Original and copy of passport (photo page) and visa page

3. Original and copy of proof of residence

4. Health certificate

5. Confirmation that you have passed the on-line driving test

The process is as follows:

1. Hand in documents

2. Take colour test and braking test

3. Sit and wait to be called. When called, pay Bt505. Join queue to take your photo.

4. Take photo and wait to receive licence

The whole process took 45 mins. and my new licence expires in July 2027

Edited by thaiowl
  • Like 1

Use a driving school. I used Pattaya Klang for my 5 yr renewal who have a test centre next to Banglamunga DLT. Did need a medical certificate as well as residency certificate from Immigration but didn't view the video due to Covid. May have to now that Thailand is open again. Driving school queued for me as they limit the nos of foreigners each day. I was fifth in queue and just did reaction color and depth perception tests. School fee was 3000 bht

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Use a driving school. I used Pattaya Klang for my 5 yr renewal who have a test centre next to Banglamunga DLT. Did need a medical certificate as well as residency certificate from Immigration but didn't view the video due to Covid. May have to now that Thailand is open again. Driving school queued for me as they limit the nos of foreigners each day. I was fifth in queue and just did reaction color and depth perception tests. School fee was 3000 bht

Was it 3,000 plus the fee you have to pay if you hand in the papers your self with 500Baht, so totally 3,500?

2 hours ago, thaiowl said:

5. Confirmation that you have passed the on-line driving test

There is no test on-line or in person for renewal of a driving license that is not expired more than 1 year

There is the on-line driving video, it has no test you are just required to watch it. Some offices may allow you to watch it in the office, however COVID19 precautions have stopped many offices offering this option.

2 hours ago, thaiowl said:

You can renew your 5-year licence at any DLT office. Mine expired in July and I got it renewed last month in Cha-am. You are meant to book an appointment and take a test online at:

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home/ForeignerIndex

See above for the point that it isn’t a test. 

The DLT now allow a passport number to register, this is new it wasn’t available 4 months ago when I renewed my licenses.

Do remember that TIT so the information for 1 DLT office is not true for all offices even though the requirements are on the DLT website.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Incorrect. If you drive on an expired license and get checked you will get a fine, if you escaped a fine you are lucky not legal.

To renew a license it can usually be done 3 months before expiration.

You are able to renew the license up to 1 year after it expires without doing anything different, that is where you are getting the faulty idea that the expired license is legal to drive on.

if you have a pink card you can register and watch the video online, which some offices require.

I stand corrected.  You can renew the license up to one year after it expires but as you say, you are driving on an expired license and if stopped you can be fined. 

Just now, HarrySeaman said:

I stand corrected.  You can renew the license up to one year after it expires but as you say, you are driving on an expired license and if stopped you can be fined. 

Or if involved in an accident, insurance will not pay out, and there might be other problems depending on the severity. So in my opinion not at all worth risking a potential disaster to get an extra year. My wife is lucky, she got one of the last lifetime licences before that option was terminated.