Recent (well, maybe pre-Covid) cataract surgery in Thailand ?

BananaGuy

On 11/5/2021 at 3:58 PM, HelenaM said:

I just came back from Rutnin and tried REALLY hard to get a price for the exam. I went anyway and was told for epi retinal surgery and removal of cataract - not very thick - in one eye the total with another pre test would be about 230000 baht. Crazy cost I think! The test cost was 5800 and as many hospitals do, they just show you the little hand calculator at the desk - no breakdown of prices. I SHOULD have demanded that at least! But I think they skin foreigners. I will keep looking.

My cost in Rutnin for the one eye cataract and epiretinal surgery one year ago was approx  189,000. Baht. They provided me with a complete breakdown of costs after the surgery. So in theory they should be able to give some guidance.
FYI

Medication for Surgery 42k

Medical Supplies 21k

Medical SENSAR 13k

Operating Room equipment 24k

Operating Theatre 10k

Nursing daycare and service charges 1.5k

Physician Procedures 69k

Anesthetist 8.5k

Dr Roy did both together, it took nearly 2 hours as a daypatient.
The presurgery tests are extra. 
I suggest that you are careful picking somewhere to do the epiretinal surgery.
Its not just as simple as cataract removal and lens replacement.
Best get somebody experienced at doing it.

Edited by jojothai
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AverageBloke said:

Yes, I'm in Northern N.S.W near Ballina. I was very surprised because I  was expecting a wait of at least 12 months. They said the cataracts had developed  quickly and hence the 3 months time frame.... Good luck down in Nowra its a nice place to live....I lived there for 10 years. 

Hmm sounds like your cloudy vision gave you a silver lining ???? 

Yup, South Coast generally is hard to beat but I reckon we’ve both got lucky in places to live!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BananaGuy said:

Still curious how the multifocal implanted lens works though

Really the same as multi focal contact lenses.  The lens in the case of contacts just sits on the pupil and your brain focuses through the lens finding the sharpest image. 

Just like monovision.  You have one eye for close up reading and one eye for distance.  Your brain will take the images from both eyes but will select whatever is giving you the sharpest focus whether that is far away or up close.  

They have even done tests where contacts made the world appear upside down.  Within a short period of time, the brain adjusted the image received to reverse the effects of the contacts and turning the world back to its correct top side up. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Really the same as multi focal contact lenses.  The lens in the case of contacts just sits on the pupil and your brain focuses through the lens finding the sharpest image. 

Just like monovision.  You have one eye for close up reading and one eye for distance.  Your brain will take the images from both eyes but will select whatever is giving you the sharpest focus whether that is far away or up close.  

They have even done tests where contacts made the world appear upside down.  Within a short period of time, the brain adjusted the image received to reverse the effects of the contacts and turning the world back to its correct top side up. 

ha. I like the upside-down experiment … often thought that’s how I’ve been operating for a while now …

Seriously fascinating though … how for example the brain figures out what a sharp image is. I’ll add this topic to a very long list of stuff to research further. Thanks.