Do I risk ending up in everyone's spam folder?

BananaBandit

If I send 10 emails a day for a 7-day period to people I don't know, do I risk ending up in everyone's spam folder?

How about if I send 10 emails a day for the rest of my life to people I don't know? 

In case it makes a difference, I have a gmail address that I've been using for a solid decade. Thousands of messages already sent and received.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I think it all depends what the reactions of people WHO RECEIVE your emails will be.

If ALL 10 Emails get marked as Spam by the receiver then you will be quickly marked as a spammer even with your solid decade of good behavior!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LoliLoso said:

How do you obtain email addresses of people you don't know ????

There are LOTS AND LOTS of sites for that! So Easy Peasy!!

Where do you think a site like https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Check if your email or phone is in a data breach

Gets it's data from???? (and that is AFAIK a legit site)

Edit: Just have a look around pastebin (do a search on Google for that)

Edited by MJCM

I'd like to thank the OP for this thread as it reminded me to check my own spam folder and I found out that I'm rich.  If he sends me his bank account details I'll forward him some of the money as a token of my gratitude as soon as I sort out my Pay-Pal account.

image.png.3911085b9528824c4334ae9f53051dc4.png

(Should anyone be concerned, yes, I have deleted all of these without opening them).

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

I think it all depends what the reactions of people WHO RECEIVE your emails will be.

If ALL 10 Emails get marked as Spam by the receiver then you will be quickly marked as a spammer even with your solid decade of good behavior!

I can't imagine that all 10 would.  My reasons are, after all, legitimate. At least to me.

I am worried about the prospect that, let's say, half of the recipients, out of reflexive spite (like the kind one so often observes on certain internet forums), would relegate my email to the spam bin as opposed to the regular trash bin -- and that such relegation could consign my future emails to eternal spamnation. 

Perhaps I should add that all the people I would be contacting are professional people with a decent standing in life. Might that make them less reflexively spiteful?  (I honestly don't know!) 

Do you think I have cause for concern?

If I were to limit myself to 3 such emails per day, would that go a long way towards avoiding spam bins?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I can't imagine that all 10 would.  My reasons are, after all, legitimate. At least to me.

I am worried about the prospect that, let's say, half of the recipients, out of reflexive spite (like the kind one so often observes on certain internet forums), would relegate my email to the spam bin as opposed to the regular trash bin -- and that such relegation could consign my future emails to eternal spamnation. 

Perhaps I should add that all the people I would be contacting are professional people with a decent standing in life. Might that make them less reflexively spiteful?  (I honestly don't know!) 

Do you think I have cause for concern?

If I were to limit myself to 3 such emails per day, would that go a long way towards avoiding spam bins?

If one came to me I would immediately block & move to the spam folder, you sound like a very unsound person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whenever I get unsolicited junk mail in my regular inbox I mark it as spam, serves them right for sending me junk.

Each time a person marks a sender as a spammer the email system gives 'negative points' to the offending domain; once a certain number of spam reports are received then the domain will be blacklisted and all messages sent from the offending domain will automatically be identified as spam.

• Like 1

As far as I know there are no clear rules with clear numbers. Real spammers (try to) send thousands or millions of emails.

Let's assume for a moment that you have a legitimate reason to do what you describe. Try! Send ten emails and see what happens. If nothing happens then send 20. At some stage some algorithm will stop you. If you do this a little then likely you will first get a mail like "we detected xyz activity with your account" and likely a reminder that you shouldn't do that. Listen to that reminder! Otherwise they will cut you off and if necessary in less than a second. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:23 PM, BananaBandit said:

If I send 10 emails a day for a 7-day period to people I don't know, do I risk ending up in everyone's spam folder?

The people you are emailing did not request mail from you,

You are by definition sending spam “unsolicited messages sent in bulk by email”  the only question is what is classified as “bulk”