Enlarged prostate treatment (Rezum)

Adelphi

I'd suggest that anyone over about 55 or 60 should get an ultrasound to check their prostate. I am 67 and had some blood in urine one time so the doc sent me for an ultrasound. That showed I had BPH but I had no idea until they told me. I did notice over recent years that I urinate a lot but didn't connect the dots. After seeing this thread I ordered the stinging nettle root. It's possibly a bit early to tell if they are effective but I do notice I urinate a lot less often since taking them.

Apparently almost all men suffer enlarged prostate as they grow older. Bottom line, if you are getting on in years, don't wait to be told, add this supplement to the long list of medications you already take.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fredscats said:

Kicking the can down the road   get it chopped

It depends upon what you mean by "get it chopped"?

Having a TURP can involve some side effects, but nonlifethreatening and these days incontinence after having a TURP is minimal (can be a different scenario altogether if one has the prostate removed).

The problem with prostate problems is manifold, in as much as BPH can mean that you can't pass water, or that you get an immediate urge to do it and have to be within metres of a toilet!

Medicines can help with this problem, and as you can see from the posts on this thread folks are desperate to also try herbal/alternate remedies.

Different scenario altogether if one has cancer of the prostate or an extreme enlargement, which might involve removing it altogether and this is where the incontinence and erectile dysfunction scenarios come into play, or at least they did in the old days, but now there is the robotic surgery with the da Vinci machine and that to all intents and purposes is a "nerve sparing" operation, although it is still a major operation.

Prostate removal is the last thing anyone should consider, unless of course it is for cancer, when it becomes just about a necessity, however as I said the latest technology for this operation does limit any side effects.

So there has to be a lot of thought going into this and in most cases I have come across, including myself, the thought of taking a medicine/natural alternative to ease the situation is the number one consideration, although I did have a TURP about 11 years ago, and hoping that one can last up one's life taking a few tablets is preferential.

• Thanks 1

Out of interest, has anyone tried kegel exercises, which increase the strength of the pelvic floor?

If you Google ‘do kegel exercises help prostate problems?’, you will get a whole list of articles: some in favour, some less so; some are about enlarged prostate, some about urinating too much and some relate to post cancer treatment.

Also, if you click on “videos”, at the top of your page, there are several short films to watch too.

As usual, the only way to know, I guess, is to try it yourself. Looks like you need to be patient and to do it for several weeks/months. That’s why I am wondering if other posters have experience of kegels, which they are willing to share ☺️????

Btw, it seems that kegel exercises can also help women tighten their pelvic floor, which may also please their man in the bedroom.

Edited by silver sea

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Good to see Bamrungrad has a competitor. It may bring the price down. 

LOL  race to see who charges the most

Steam? it was beads a few years ago,block blood flow to prostate,whats wrong with laser?  same same   heat

Edited by fredscats

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Finally, if a medicine/treatment can ease the pressure on the urethra as it passes through the prostate (actually it becomes part of the prostate) then why not use it, or at least try it.

I'm surprised someone hasn't invented a 'stent' to be fixed inside.

It seems the obvious answer.

Just now, BritManToo said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't invented a 'stent' to be fixed inside.

It seems the obvious answer.

Apparently it has been tried, but presents its own set of problems, one of them being because the stent can move, and I can't remember the others but I think it has to do with the prostate continuing to grow and causing other problems.

23 hours ago, xylophone said:

Apparently it has been tried, but presents its own set of problems, one of them being because the stent can move, and I can't remember the others but I think it has to do with the prostate continuing to grow and causing other problems.

Update: you may wish to look at this article..............

New Treatment Option Available for Men Suffering from Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

UC San Diego Health among first medical centers in region to offer non-surgical solution for enlarged prostates.

July 09, 2018    

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

900bht for an item that's RRP is $6.50 ........ they gotta be joking!

For most of my supplements, I usually buy via iHerb. Even with shipping they are often much cheaper than Lazada or Shoppee.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bubblegum said:

I have given up buying any more Stinging Nettle Root, because even doubling the dose has made no difference over a four week period, whereas one poster suggested that one tablet/capsule worked for him!!!!!

Lots of "recommendations" for natural remedies, but I wonder how many of the reports are that factual, or perhaps there is a placebo effect in play??

On 12/16/2021 at 3:00 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm always careful with Cipro as it hurts my tendons as well.

ya know......... I once started a thread on this lovely forum which was shut down for warning about the side effects of floroquinolones (class of antibiotics with black box warnings) .

though bm2 and i agree on most things........ at the time when i told of my bad experience with Cipro he suggested I might not be in good health  ???? .    I stopped the pills after 2 days when tendons were hurting and i got electric shocks .

All is well now .   Please everyone be careful with those drugs.  Some people suffer great harm (do a deep search to find how seriously , as Pharma does its usual censoring on google) 

As for peeing problems at night...... if someone's condition is not TOO bad,  as in my case, I found that eating very very little (usually just a salad)  at night keeps me from bloating, i sleep better,  and usually just twice a night to pee.   No drugs for me............... yet