Best Option to Return to Thailand from the UK

My non-immigrant O (marriage extension) visa runs out on December 22nd but I am unable to renew it as I need to travel to the UK urgently so need to leave before it expires and I cannot apply for an extension until the current one expires.

I've read a few articles and it seems now we don't need to go to the Embassy in person but can apply for a visa online.  What options do I have available to me and what are the best for me to return to Thailand.  From what I gather there is two options essentially:

1.  Apply for a 60 day tourist visa online in the UK cost GBP 30 (allows 60 day stay) and change it to a non-immigrant O visa (family) when arriving in Thailand.

2. Apply for the non-immigrant O family visa for GBP 60 (allows 90 day stay) and get an extension.  

Presumably 1.  would mean changing it to a non-immigrant O visa at a cost of THB 1,900 for the validity of the original tourist visa.  Once I have done this can I then apply for a 1 year extension like I currently have but cannot renew at a cost of another THB 1,900?

Re option 2, can I apply for the 1 year extension at a cost of THB 1,900?

Is the paperwork much more with option 2?  I can't see any details of what are required for both online.

Lastly, which of the above is the preferred option?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated as always.

12 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You can apply for extension renewal 45 days before 22nd Dec.

Mine expires on 19th Dec and i'll submit all paperwork next week, leave the country with a re-entry permit while the under consideration process is ongoing.

Just to add that immigration can make possible an earlier extension if provided with supporting evidence such as flight out of Thailand.

Thinking perhaps up to 60 early at CW might be feasible. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Mine expires on 19th Dec and i'll submit all paperwork next week, leave the country with a re-entry permit while the under consideration process is ongoing.

But not possible for me as my under consideration stamp will be till Dec 22 and I need to fly out before Dec 22, first week of December and return mid January. 

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to add that immigration can make possible an earlier extension if provided with supporting evidence such as flight out of Thailand.

Thinking perhaps up to 60 early at CW might be feasible. 

Useful info but don't think that helps me. I'm in CM too.

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I already applied 45 days before my december expiry date and got it approved but his is a marriage extension and has different rules. I believe there is a 1 month consideration for marriage ext unlike retirement extension.

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

I already applied 45 days before my december expiry date and got it approved but his is a marriage extension and has different rules. I believe there is a 1 month consideration for marriage ext unlike retirement extension.

Correct re marriage, specially told can't get new visa until Dec 22 by which time I will be in England, hence my original post and questions.

60 day extension is also out of the window as I used that already the Immigration Officer told me. 

Hence looking into UK visa options.

Thanks

41 minutes ago, stament said:

You can apply for single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that will allow a 90 day entry that you can then extend for one year at immigration.

Online visa application here: https://www.thaievisa.go.th/

If you got a tourist visa you would have to then change to a non-o visa for a fee of 2000 baht before applying of the one year extension.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stament said:

Correct re marriage, specially told can't get new visa until Dec 22 by which time I will be in England, hence my original post and questions.

60 day extension is also out of the window as I used that already the Immigration Officer told me. 

Thanks

Why don't you inform the officer that you will be going back to UK after applying for the extension during the consideration 1 month period.

After the extension is approved on Dec 22, you can bring your passport to the Thai embassy in UK to have it stamped.

I guess it can be arranged that way.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

After the extension is approved on Dec 22, you can bring your passport to the Thai embassy in UK to have it stamped.

A Thai embassy or official consulate will not do a extension of stay stamp. Only a immigration office can do that.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Why don't you inform the officer that you will be going back to UK after applying for the extension during the consideration 1 month period.

I guess it can be arranged that way.

apparently not as on what basis would I enter the country under if my old visa has expired and I hadn't received my new one yet?  Can you see the problem?  Not so straightforward is it.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that will allow a 90 day entry that you can then extend for one year at immigration.

Online visa application here: https://www.thaievisa.go.th/

If you got a tourist visa you would have to then change to a non-o visa for a fee of 2000 baht before applying of the one year extension.

This looks the best option.  Thanks again @ubonjoefor your invaluable advice as always and the link.