Duration of health insurance req'd for Thailand Pass for non 'o' retirement visa holders

What seems to be quite confusing is, if the $50,000 so-called "health insurance" is the former $100,000 Covid-19 insurance, just reduced to half coverage, or if it means a real health insurance - i.e. cannot be a travel insurance if are living permanently in Thailand - such an insurance might be almost impossible for numerous elder expats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I know of a few retirees some younger than you who have previously tried to obtain medical / health insurance before these travel provisions were introduced and were rejected for a variety of reasons so potentially there are going to be a lot of “ trapped retirees”

Also for those coming to Thailand for a cheap holiday I cannot see them wanting to buy insurance for each family member if that is required.

As usual another policy not well thought out regarding the implications.

What about the Indians? They seem to like to travel to Thailand in big family groups.....Are they really going to be buying this insurance for everyone in the extended family?.......I just can't see this insurance being to popular with Indians at all or any other tourist for that matter...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Salerno said:

Agreed, and getting tired of the constant "insurance scam" posts but never seem to get a reply when I call someone out on it, even posted a list of countries that have had insurance requirements since before Covid and the silence is deafening ... then "insurance scam!" again 555

I am one of these posters who refer to this insurance as a scam. I will put it simply, up until the 1st Nov the Cvirus insurance was for $100.000, that was way over the top, the average person who gets this virus recovers in around 4 or 5 weeks, yes, there are exceptions, the obese, heavy drinkers and smokers, over 60s etc, I am going by what I read on this forum. you see the amount of recoveries every day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are correct that the insurance needs to valid to the day your extension of stay expires in January. That is the day you will be stamped into the country.

Joe, I am about to renew my non O based on retirement,  by 28 November. 

I have NZ passport ,I'm 70yrs old,  and I will leave 800,000 in my Thai bank account. At this stage while vivid remains.. I don't intend to leave Thailand.. 

Will I need to purchase any vivid insurance, to renew my visa??? 

15 hours ago, davjensteph said:

Tge way i read it,,o-a visa needs insurance as that is what you get when applying from thai embassey in your country..but if you have a non o which you got in thailand you dont need the insurance..

Non-O is initially valid for 90 days, yes?

You can then extend it based on marriage (it remains a Non-O) or on retirement, but it then becomes a Non-O-A.

Is that correct?

Edited by Will B Good

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Non-O is initially valid for 90 days, yes?

You can then extend it based on marriage (it remains a Non-O) or on retirement, but it then becomes a Non-O-A.

Is that correct?

A Non-O doesn't suddenly changed to Non-OA when you go for retirement extension.  You can get Retirement extension for both Non-O and Non-OA visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, MJCM said:

Wow if that is the case, then I would suggest that people (who don't have health insurance) and are on a Extension of Stay travel BACK to Thailand very close to their extension renewal date! and buy a short duration Insurance only!!

This is certainly a loophole!

There's another one, for those who have to travel early in their extension, just do it without reentry permit. Come back without visa, apply for Non-O, and restart extension. That's a couple of days work but well worth the 30000 savings to be made.

Also, it is probably easier if married in Thailand.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

There's another one, for those who have to travel early in their extension, just do it without reentry permit. Come back without visa, apply for Non-O, and restart extension. That's a couple of days work but well worth the 30000 savings to be made.

Also, it is probably easier if married in Thailand.

If you are on a Retirement Extension it could work, but if you are on a extension of Marriage then I disagree.

Reason being, your application approval (Marriage extension) is NOT done by your local Immigration but the regional headquarters and you have to also get your witnesses in order also a Home Visit will be part of the deal as you will be treated as a NEW applicant with all the (increasing) scrutiny that goes with it! So a lot more difficult then Retirement Extension.

Also what kind of visa (in this case) are you using to enter Thailand? Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa?

If Visa Exempt, 2 questions:

1) Can you convert from Visa Exempt to NON-O (and does every immigration office do this??)

2) Will the airliner that flies you in will not want to see a return ticket??

Edited by MJCM

On 11/5/2021 at 1:12 PM, DrJack54 said:

Correct.

Sort of ridiculous.

I just renewed my extension and would like to visit Oz briefly early next year.

Will mean that I will be stamped in with ~ 10 months on my entry stamp.

Insurance required for that period. Stupid.

Yep.  I was thinking of traveling just after renewing my extension next May................................I am now thinking of traveling BEFORE so that I arrive back in the month my current extension expires. 30 days cover, Bingo!

Not my first choice, but not a bad second choice either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Reason being, your application approval (Marriage extension) is NOT done by your local Immigration but the regional headquarters and you have to also get your witnesses in order also a Home Visit will be part of the deal as you will be treated as a NEW applicant with all the (increasing) scrutiny that goes with it! So a lot more difficult then Retirement Extension.

And what can be the problem with that? I have nothing to hide and have cohorts of potential witnesses. I am MARRIED and been with my wife for 7 years, the whole district knows us...

Of course when marriages are fake...

Now when I said "probably easier for marriage" I was referring to the initial in-country Non-O, I am not even sure if the remain available for the purpose of immigration. The extensions are pretty much "same same" between Marriage and Retirement: be Kosher and it will be easy.

Edited by Boomer6969

15 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

The extensions are pretty much "same same" between Marriage and Retirement:

Nothing like it. Completely different requirements.

BTW....."I was referring to the initial in-country Non-O, I am not even sure if the remain available for the purpose of immigration."

NON O based on marriage is available at immigration inside Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

String theory here I come.

Now I feel ignorant.

I had to Google String Theory.

In physics, string theory is a theoretical framework in which the point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings .... 

Keep in mind that in my yr 12 physics we used slide rules. 

Visa matters are fluid due to the sentence many type...

"every immigration office and officer can have their own rules"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Now I feel ignorant.

I had to Google String Theory.

In physics, string theory is a theoretical framework in which the point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings .... 

Keep in mind that in my yr 12 physics we used slide rules. 

Visa matters are fluid due to the sentence many type...

"every immigration office and officer can have their own rules"

Try googling M theory.......555