Duration of health insurance req'd for Thailand Pass for non 'o' retirement visa holders

If you have an active O or OA single use (not multiple entry) and you leave the country without a re entry stamp the visa is cancelled along with any permissions to stay.  You then have to come in on a tourist visa of whatever length they are giving out now.  Then you go directly to immigration and apply for a NON 'O' visa.  That is a process already explained in other posts.  But you start from scratch with all the proofs of income, bank balance, proof of residence, health certificate etc..  If you don't already have a bank account with money in it I don't know how you can easily comply with the muti month 800,000 B requirement.

12 minutes ago, notrub said:

But you start from scratch with all the proofs of income, bank balance, proof of residence, health certificate etc.. 

All you need is money in the bank.

12 minutes ago, notrub said:

If you don't already have a bank account with money in it I don't know how you can easily comply with the muti month 800,000 B requirement.

In the scenario discussed (killing an extension based on a Non O-A to remove the insurance requirement) the person already has everything in place.

For a "brand new" person, as you've already stated the process is already explained in multiple threads. In a nutshell:

Arrive visa exempt/TR/ Non O >

open bank account and deposit 800K (or 400K if married) >

apply for Non O if required >

after money in bank for 2 months apply for extension based on retirement/marriage.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Naturally cost difference not insignificant.

Not worth an extra grand IMO for their cover. I'd use them on a 30 day throwaway policy in case of a "positive" test and get a "real" insurance for health cover if that way inclined (policies I've been looking at a fair bit more but at least coverage is there).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

True, you should be stamped in till the date that your insurance expires, however you would need to apply for a new annual extension.

Not a good plan.

Thank you for your post! So lets clarify for my understanding. I enter with visa (OA for example) on 1 Jan and have only 3 month insurance. So I get stamped in until 31 March. Then I leave on 31 March and come back 3 June with new insurance valid for 1 year and get a stamp until June 3 2023. After that and only after I would need an extension AFAIK. The important point beeing to the OP was if he is allowed entry at all and to understanding he gets the stamp until he is cover by health insurance.

From Richard Barrow's newsletter describing his meeeting with the DG of the Department of Consular Affairs it seems the length of time for the insurance has been misinterpreted all along and 30 days is sufficient.  However I have my doubts about some of the other stuff the guy has said so take it with pinch of salt.

barrow.thumb.jpg.5a9b3894b5c48eeeac692414f0048b6f.jpga

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:15 PM, MJCM said:

I 100% agree especially with that last sentence!

We (Farang with Thai Wife) have an European HEALTH insurance which works by COST Price so they don't have a fixed limit (if it's 1 Million they pay, if it's 10 Million they also will pay etc)

Try explaining this to a Immigration Official!

I am now trying to get a document from my Insurer which states limits, but not holding my breath!

Maybe because of this I have to get an extra insurance when I want to travel just to cover me till my extension at Immigration is up for renewal (Pain in the ..... ???? )

Just an Update.

Wow, I just received an email with a Document from my Insurer and I think it's exactly what we need to let us back into Thailand (if we go abroad)

So they will cover even more then the 100.000 USD when needed (Yeah this insurance has NO limit)

Please note: This is a insurance for my Thai Wife and myself

insurance.JPG.04ce430bc793a33602a28566c25f65d4.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 12:21 PM, DrJack54 said:

Think it's not duration of intended stay but rather duration of stamp that you will receive. Your permission of stay.

Example for SETV that would be 60, for non O 90 and for reentry permit the date remaining on that permit.

That's a question an Aussie friend has. He intends to come on a SETV of 60 days and apply for an extension of 30 more. His departure from Thailand is at/near the 90 day mark so is unsure of insurance cover period requirement. And when/ where is it checked ? On arrival or as part of  departure checks?

I have suggested to him the cost for 30 days more buying the AXA Sawasdee Inbound Travel Insurance is unlikely to be much more anyway.

17 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

That's a question an Aussie friend has. He intends to come on a SETV of 60 days and apply for an extension of 30 more. His departure from Thailand is at/near the 90 day mark so is unsure of insurance cover period requirement. And when/ where is it checked ? On arrival or as part of  departure checks?

I have suggested to him the cost for 30 days more buying the AXA Sawasdee Inbound Travel Insurance is unlikely to be much more anyway.

Insurance is required only for the initial period of permission to stay granted by the visa or re-entry permit used.  In your friend's example that would be 60 days only.  If he applies for a 30 day extension of stay he will not be questioned about health insurance.

This is checked at entry, when applying for the Certificate of Entry or nowadays the Thailand Pass, he will need to demonstration 60 days of coverage commensurate with his SETV.  It may also be checked at arrival in Thailand.  There are no insurance checks on departure from Thailand.

Edited by skatewash

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

Just an Update.

Wow, I just received an email with a Document from my Insurer and I think it's exactly what we need to let us back into Thailand (if we go abroad)

So they will cover even more then the 100.000 USD when needed (Yeah this insurance has NO limit)

Please note: This is a insurance for my Thai Wife and myself

insurance.JPG.04ce430bc793a33602a28566c25f65d4.JPG

The all important question is the cost of  annual premiums, annual age related premium increase, cut off age for renewal etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

The all important question is the cost of  annual premiums, annual age related premium increase, cut off age for renewal etc.

Here you are for the premium and age you see 85+ they still insure you.

Ps: Not the cheapest, and we selected Excl USofA (you can include but then of course you pay more

premium.JPG.0a41b4dca45462e25204541330674491.JPG

Edit: Link https://www.oominsurance.com/going-abroad/living-abroad-insurance/

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1