O-A VISA to NON IMM O-VISA?? No Insurance???

I am wondering about 2 things in respect of changing VISA inside Thailand as well as insurance for the both of them Can you plse help me out, that would really be great;

a - I friend of mine told me that immigration in Lppburi told him that they can help him to

change his present Extension of stay based on retirement to an Extension of stay based on                     marriage. I understand that, and I know that is no big deal actually!!! He is having in his

passport a Non Immigrant O-A, that this present extension is based on,,,,

But now the thing I need to ask you guys..... They also told him that he will be off the insurance

and do NOT need any insurance, if he let them change to extension based on marriage based 

still on the very same O-A??? Is this true.......???

b - Is it possible that they can change a O-A to a Non Imm O and add an extension based on

marriage next time he is upp for renewal?????

Thanks for your input,

Glegolo

Medical insurance plus Covid-19 cover is not compulsory in Thailand.

It's only when you exit Thailand and return then all foreigners, regardless of visa/extension types will require $50,000 Medical insurance with Covid-19 coverage.

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

a. His extension will still be based upon the old O_A visa...but for marriage inexplicably insurance is not required.

It is really simple to understand, A extension of stay based upon marriage does not require insurance to apply for it.

Same if you entered on a non-o visa and applied for an extension based upon retirement.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is really simple to understand, A extension of stay based upon marriage does not require insurance to apply for it.

Same if you entered on a non-o visa and applied for an extension based upon retirement.

Not quite simple to understand how a married 50+ expat does not require insurance when a retired one does..is there some basis in health stats historically to support this ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

medical insurance, what is that more exactly?? Coverage??? Amount??

If you have a Non-OA visa issued by a embassy or official consulate insurance it requjired.

If it was issued prior to October of this year you only need the insurance mentioned here.

https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

a - BUT in his case he has entered for 3 years ago with a O-A and have a present extension retirement valid up to may 2022.... Does he need any insurance whatsoever if he continues applying for retirement????

b - AND you say that if he have a non immigrant O-A in the passport and choose to change to extension of stay to marriage, he does NOT need any insurance????

glegolo

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Not quite simple to understand how a married 50+ expat does not require insurance when a retired one does..is there some basis in health stats historically to support this ?

For retirement is only needed if you a OA visa issued by a embassy or official consulate. I think they want it for that visa since they consider those that have one are more likely to stay here full time and could easily just leave to dodge a hospital bill.

Those married to a Thai have a lot more ties to Thailand than somebody just here on a OA visa and a extension of it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tonray said:

I agree....

Also while I'm at it the financial requirements difference between retirement and marriage is ridiculous to say the least. 

I'm in a 10 yr relationship (not married) ......if I was single I would need to donate to a charity as cost of living would drop so dramatically.

A married guy puts 200k (Edit: typo meant 400k as pointed out by UJ later) in bank for couple of months and us retired suckers maintain much higher amount all year. Rubbish.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

For retirement is only needed if you a OA visa issued by a embassy or official consulate. I think they want it for that visa since they consider those that have one are more likely to stay here full time and could easily just leave to dodge a hospital bill.

Those married to a Thai have a lot more ties to Thailand than somebody just here on a OA visa and a extension of it.

Extending that logic the difference between a 50+ OA extension and a 50+ O extension for retirement would be ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Also while I'm at it the financial requirements difference between retirement and marriage is ridiculous to say the least. 

The primary reason for it being lower than retirement is the Thai wife can work or own a business to earn money to support the family.

Another reason is that is it issued for humanitarian reasons not retirement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Those married to a Thai have a lot more ties to Thailand than somebody just here on a OA visa and a extension of it

Interesting mind set. 

I would suggest my 10 yr live together relationship along with purchase of property etc stacks up as "ties to Thailand" against any married chap. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Medical insurance is if you have a Non-OA visa and want to apply for a extension of stay based upon  retirment.

Of course, I was referring to Non O.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Interesting mind set. 

I would suggest my 10 yr live together relationship along with purchase of property etc stacks up as "ties to Thailand" against any married chap. 

Same for my 6 year deal...it's not based upon logic with Thai authorities.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tonray said:

Same for my 6 year deal...it's not based upon logic with Thai authorities.

I think both of you shoot over the gool. U.Joe was expressing how it is overall, not for you 2 guys in particular.. Exceptions are never any good base for opinions..

glegolo

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I agree....

I'm in a 10 yr relationship (not married) ......if I was single I would need to donate to a charity as cost of living would drop so dramatically.

A married guy puts 200k (Edit: typo meant 400k as pointed out by UJ later) in bank for couple of months and us retired suckers maintain much higher amount all year. Rubbish.

To solve your quandary they (immi) should then insist and make law on a uniform 800K in bank account and medical insurance for all foreigners temporarily in Thailand on non O retirement or marriage, O-A retirement?

Perhaps they should also increase the retirement age as 50 seems a bit low for most countries for persons at that age to retire.

Edited by userabcd

2 minutes ago, userabcd said:

To solve your quandary they (immi) should then insist and make law on a uniform 800K in bank account and medical insurance for all foreigners temporarily in Thailand on non O retirement or marriage, O-A retirement?

Certainly those doing extensions from a non O-A have been shafted. 

Might be incorrect but I think Phuket imm does not insist on the nonsense insurance. Personally don't think it was intended for those that had a non O-A pre dating that requirement. 

Stinks.

As for married vs retirement the financials should be exactly the same.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Certainly those doing extensions from a non O-A have been shafted. 

Might be incorrect but I think Phuket imm does not insist on the nonsense insurance. Personally don't think it was intended for those that had a non O-A pre dating that requirement. 

Stinks.

As for married vs retirement the financials should be exactly the same.

Why? your personal feelings of envy.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Perhaps they should also increase the retirement age as 50 seems a bit low for most countries for persons at that age to retire.

If they increase it, it's a catch 22..then people won't qualify for insurance....you can't win.

17 minutes ago, tonray said:

I think that logic works also with the O vs OA retirement extensions. The people on O visas never have to stress about insurance so they naturally are less likely to need it.  ????

Indeed i feel very relaxed in 2 way...

1) single 

2) 800k on Th. bank , 5 minutes at immigration yearly for  only 1900baht + 200 Thb. fee bank letter 

????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

a - BUT in his case he has entered for 3 years ago with a O-A and have a present extension retirement valid up to may 2022.... Does he need any insurance whatsoever if he continues applying for retirement????

b - AND you say that if he have a non immigrant O-A in the passport and choose to change to extension of stay to marriage, he does NOT need any insurance????

glegolo

Yes and Yes.

• Like 1