Online purchase from overseas...what happens if I refuse to pay local VAT?

VinnieK

I assume you mean Import Duty not VAT? The only time I have had VAT alone added was when they opened an item correctly labeled as 'duty exempt', but they charged me VAT presumably to justify their opening it. I had to spend a morning traveling to Phrakanong and queuing up three times to pay Bt30 VAT.

In the past I had 100% duty slapped on by DHL. I contacted the sender and they told me not to pay and that it would come back to them, in the interim they refunded my money.

Discussion with someone about a UPS package - was told that if someone refused to accept because of duty it came back to them.

Be careful though, I believe some, ebay for example, do not support refund if it is returned to seller because you refused to accept.

Normal post I am less sure, but someone did tell me that it would come back to them.

Ignore people on here who sound like they know it all but are basing their answers on theoretical knowledge not speaking from experience.

Thai Customs is a huge drawback to living here.

Thai Customs can charge near anything they like - thereis a "normal rate" e.g. 15% but the schedule allows for up to 60% in most cases and 100% in some cases. there are "experts" on here who will tell you otherwise, but that is the problem when using the Customs website to determine what the rate will be - I had a reply from a very helpful Customs Officer that said just that. Normal rate, but can be up to XX

Edited by mokwit
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Import Duty, you can submit paperwork to dispute the charge made and have it re assesed based on whatever evidence/reason you may have.

Again, failure to pay will usually result in the item being returned to the seller/merchant.

Has it now changed that if you make a claim and they uphold the original charge you have to pay FIVE TIMES the original charge as a penalty?

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1

Importing stuff to Thailand is pretty much like a game of Russian roulette if you know what i mean, ( i know as i do import a lot of stuff) sometime it goes through and others it will be flagged down for inspection and import tax and VAT, if it is a small money, pay it and learn your lesson for next time...

• Like 2

I bought an expensive item £2000, from the manufacturer in the UK, they already send stuff to Thailand so they are aware of the import duties & VAT here in Thailand, unfortunately I was the first private buyer of their products in Thailand.

The didn't add the UK 20% VAT, on the invoice was the Thai import duty & VAT, but it got held by customs for a myriad of things, one of them being that they had checked prices online and the price I paid didn't match the shop prices here ???????? I told the agent in no uncertain terms that I had bought it from the manufacturer not a bloody shop.

The FedEx agents were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, the logistics manager back in the UK spoke with his FedEx counterpart who started an investigation, when I imparted that info to the FedEx agent he crapped himself and the package was spookily delivered next day.

The company has since reviewed it courier, they sent a gift via DHL which arrived no problem. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I bought an expensive item £2000, from the manufacturer in the UK, they already send stuff to Thailand so they are aware of the import duties & VAT here in Thailand, unfortunately I was the first private buyer of their products in Thailand.

The didn't add the UK 20% VAT, on the invoice was the Thai import duty & VAT, but it got held by customs for a myriad of things, one of them being that they had checked prices online and the price I paid didn't match the shop prices here ???????? I told the agent in no uncertain terms that I had bought it from the manufacturer not a bloody shop.

The FedEx agents were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, the logistics manager back in the UK spoke with his FedEx counterpart who started an investigation, when I imparted that info to the FedEx agent he crapped himself and the package was spookily delivered next day.

The company has since reviewed it courier, they sent a gift via DHL which arrived no problem. 

chocolate fireguard. i haven't heard that one before, very amusing ????

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Never heard of this...ever.

It was a major point of contention with Thai companies importing - albeit a long time ago that I learned of it - maybe no longer applies, or maybe applies only to certain categories.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

I assume you mean Import Duty not VAT? The only time I have had VAT alone added was when they opened an item correctly labeled as 'duty exempt', but they charged me VAT presumably to justify their opening it.

All imported items are subject to VAT on the assessed value regardless of whether the item is rated or zero-rated for import duty. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All imported items are subject to VAT on the assessed value regardless of whether the item is rated or zero-rated for import duty. 

Yes, but if you had read my post you would have seen that I made the point that while legally they can/should collect VAT in practice they seemingly only apply it when levying import duty - in 25 years I have been charged VAT as a standolone only once.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thai Customs can charge near anything they like - thereis a "normal rate" e.g. 15% but the schedule allows for up to 60% in most cases and 100% in some cases.

Import duty that is charged depends on the duty rating of the item, they are not all a "normal" [sic] 15%.  The "schedule" indicates the different rates that are applied for different products and that is specified, there is no authority given to Customs officers, or anyone else, to apply higher rates that are not official rates.

• Like 1

Has it now changed that if you make a claim and they uphold the original charge you have to pay FIVE TIMES the original charge as a penalty?

That was never the case for a straightforward import duty rate review that did not involve false declarations of items' value.   

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Never heard of this...ever.

That's because it was never the case...ever...if it was for nothing more than a request for a review of the duty charged.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I try to avoid the international couriers such as Fedex, UPS, etc., as the import duty is always high.

Normal post seems to attract lower rates for some reason.  

Import duty rates for the same categories are the same, regardless of whether the item comes in via Thailand Post or DHL, FedEx etc.  They are specified and, if they seem to be too high. a review at Customs can be requested.

Items coming in through the postal system attract the same rates but are frequently not assessed because it is not possible for TP to examine every item; couriered items will always be assessed by the courier under their contracts on behalf of Customs.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Import duty rates for the same categories are the same, regardless of whether the item comes in via Thailand Post or DHL, FedEx etc.  They are specified and, if they seem to be too high. a review at Customs can be requested.

Not my experience from living here and importing things for 25+ years. You virtually always pay a higher rate with a courier and only ONCE have I been charged 60% duty by normal post. THIS IS MY DIRECT EXPERIENCE, not what I "think".

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Import duty that is charged depends on the duty rating of the item, they are not all a "normal" [sic] 15%.  The "schedule" indicates the different rates that are applied for different products and that is specified, there is no authority given to Customs officers, or anyone else, to apply higher rates that are not official rates.

In the English language the use of e.g. means "for example" I was giving an example. As for the rest, go to the Customs website - most things have a "normal rate" but there are several bands that can be applied at the discretion of the Customs Officer AS TOLD TO ME BY A CUSTOMS OFFICER. Still, you know best.

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That was never the case for a straightforward import duty rate review that did not involve false declarations of items' value.   

Got it, the Bangkok Post and all the Thais discussing it were just making it up - Liverpool Lou knows the real score.

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Not my experience from living here and importing things for 25+ years. You virtually always pay a higher rate with a courier and only ONCE have I been charged 60% duty by normal post. THIS IS MY DIRECT EXPERIENCE, not what I "think".

I think everyone would agree you will pay higher with couriers and is why they are best avoided as they often added processing fees too.

The other aspect to bare in mind is that couriers often have copies of the paperwork when dispatched and will utilise that to their full advantage.Whereas, Post Office often do not and will go by whatever is stated on the "declaration" on the front of the parcel, which as we and they know is rarely accurate. Its my understanding that the PO will take random parcels for inspection etc, nit each and every one.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What I posted is factual, not what I think. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

I assume you mean Import Duty not VAT? The only time I have had VAT alone added was when they opened an item correctly labeled as 'duty exempt', but they charged me VAT presumably to justify their opening it. I had to spend a morning traveling to Phrakanong and queuing up three times to pay Bt30 VAT.

In the past I had 100% duty slapped on by DHL. I contacted the sender and they told me not to pay and that it would come back to them, in the interim they refunded my money.

Discussion with someone about a UPS package - was told that if someone refused to accept because of duty it came back to them.

Be careful though, I believe some, ebay for example, do not support refund if it is returned to seller because you refused to accept.

Normal post I am less sure, but someone did tell me that it would come back to them.

Ignore people on here who sound like they know it all but are basing their answers on theoretical knowledge not speaking from experience.

Thai Customs is a huge drawback to living here.

Thai Customs can charge near anything they like - thereis a "normal rate" e.g. 15% but the schedule allows for up to 60% in most cases and 100% in some cases. there are "experts" on here who will tell you otherwise, but that is the problem when using the Customs website to determine what the rate will be - I had a reply from a very helpful Customs Officer that said just that. Normal rate, but can be up to XX

Exactly as I was told by the computer company that sent me a replacement computer for one that decided to die after 6 months.  They told me not to pay any import taxes or anything to customs if requested.  The item would then be sent back to them  and they would refund the entire cost paid under the insurance.  The item arrived and Customs tried to charge what would be the cost of the computer itself.  Declined and it was returned to the supplier.  It was then shipped to my US Address and my daughter sent it to me via USPS which was delivered by Thai post with no issues.

Had another order where I jumped through all the hoops, the seller, Amazon, paid all of the fees up front, but customs wanted an estimated 2500 baht from the courier company.  The courier contacted me, and then we contacted Amazon who contacted Customs and the package was released.  3 months later I received a bill for 2500 Thb from Customs to be paid through KTB, which I round filed.  No more ordering of overseas Items for me.

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's because it was never the case...ever...if it was for nothing more than a request for a review of the duty charged.   

You admitted on another thread that you had ACTUALLY NEVER been through the process, so why are you describing how it works? There is a word for people who hold themselves out as an authority on things they know nothing about.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mokwit said:

In the English language the use of e.g. means "for example" I was giving an example. As for the rest, go to the Customs website - most things have a "normal rate" but there are several bands that can be applied at the discretion of the Customs Officer AS TOLD TO ME BY A CUSTOMS OFFICER. Still, you know best.

I know that import duty rates are specified and cannot, legally, be arbitrarily increased over those specified rates at the whim of Customs officers.   As far as rates on articles imported via TP or couriers such as DHL, FedEx, etc. are concerned, which is what I am commenting on, they are specified and can be appealled if they seem to be excessive.

• Like 1