For now, what insurance needs a Elite Visa holder for entering back Thailand ?

Your question is somehow related to my topic here:

Thailand Pass asks you for your duration of stay, and expects an insurance policy for this length.

So you can actually put in whatever length you want, doesn't matter which visa you have, as long as the indicated duration of stay matches the insurance you should get your Thailand Pass.

What we don't know yet is what the IO will do upon entry. I would expect that you would still get stamped in for the full duration. But ubonjoe's thought in the other topic, that such a person gets stamped in until the end of insurance, could also very well be the case.

So if I were you, and knew I only want to visit for 3 months (and want to play it safe), I would put 90 days for my duration of stay and would provide a 90 days insurance policy.

When entering Thailand you will then either be stamped in for a full year, or in the worst case for 90 days.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ear what you replied to me, ubonjoe and jackdd. Thank you, but I would like to understand how, in practice, this could work if the insurance has to cover the « duration of the extension of stay »,
As I said each time I come back to Thailand, I will get a one year extension, so I'm supposed to have also a one year long insurance to cover that new extension.
If I do that three times a year, I can't imagine to have to buy for each time a new full year insurance !  
The problem is that each time the previous full year insurance will not be anymore in adequation with the new year extension that I'am granted with.
That is a complete silly case …

• Like 2

4 hours ago, benthaicnx said:

I ear what you replied to me, ubonjoe and jackdd. Thank you, but I would like to understand how, in practice, this could work if the insurance has to cover the « duration of the extension of stay »,
As I said each time I come back to Thailand, I will get a one year extension, so I'm supposed to have also a one year long insurance to cover that new extension.
If I do that three times a year, I can't imagine to have to buy for each time a new full year insurance !  
The problem is that each time the previous full year insurance will not be anymore in adequation with the new year extension that I'am granted with.
That is a complete silly case …

At least on the Thailand Pass website it doesn't say that the insurance has to cover the period for which you will be stamped in, they merely ask for your duration of stay, which could well be less than the stamp that you will get.

So if you only intend to stay 3 months you should be good to go with 3 months of insurance.

• Like 2

Thank you jackdd. I chose the PE way as I wanted to be as free as possible to come-go-come without procedures as few as possible. I'm more than 60 but still OK to travel. Iwanted just take a flight ticket and go. Of course with the pandemic things are a bit more stressful but that will have an end soon  I hope.

Thank you gain for your advices  and to others who respond to me too.

Edited by benthaicnx
mistake writing in English

On 11/8/2021 at 7:51 AM, ubonjoe said:

It has to be for your length of stay in the country.

That means you need 1 year of insurance every time you enter the country.

What about Permanent Residents? Their length of stay is forever.

That is actually really impractical. I got a ACS expat health insurance. That i pay every half year (have been for as long as i have been in Thailand). It is far better then required but of course it does not go in parallel with my going in and out of the country.

My international policy covers me for Covid hospitalisation (Covid policy/law compliant) and anything else the human organism can develop, (Im an Elite holder also) get, catch, be hit, bitten, chewed on, or run over by lol so this Covid needed insurance isn't any problem for those, like me, who know that to live in LOS without a comprehensive top flight health insurance (Covid or no) is outa their short-sighted cotton pickin' minds.

• Sad 1

I just returned from a trip to America in October.  My O-A visa was good until Dec 17.  So was the insurance that I obtained to originally enter Thailand.  The IO stamped my stay until Dec 17.  I could have applied with my health insurance company, Pacific Cross, for a change of benefits to extend my insurance ahead one year from Dec 17 and the IO would have stamped that date in my visa extension.  It's just a matter of paperwork and paying the additional premium for the insurance.  It's not difficult.  I could have easily done it excepting the laziness......

55 minutes ago, xeniv23 said:

I just returned from a trip to America in October.  My O-A visa was good until Dec 17.  So was the insurance that I obtained to originally enter Thailand.  The IO stamped my stay until Dec 17.  I could have applied with my health insurance company, Pacific Cross, for a change of benefits to extend my insurance ahead one year from Dec 17 and the IO would have stamped that date in my visa extension.  It's just a matter of paperwork and paying the additional premium for the insurance.  It's not difficult.  I could have easily done it excepting the laziness......

The problem begins when you like me leave the country a few times a year. You will have to change your policy all the time. I mean mine just goes per year. But if i leave on 30 January my policy would not be sufficient as it goes december. I would then have to pay an exta month and make my policy go to 30 january, and the next time i travel I have to change it again. Its a lot of hassle.

What they should do is look at your history too. I have been with this insurance company for years. I have not been uninsured in Thailand since I moved here. So this change is really anoying because I have been insured am insured and am going to keep being insured. But I would have to change my insurance validity with each trip adding months. Its just crazy.

All because of people who think its a good idea not to insure then get in trouble and cant pay ect ect. Thank those kind of people everyone has a hard time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I travel multiple times per year as well and I understand your frustration.  I choose to forgo the one year extension when I reenter and renew my insurance at my normal extension date.    Saves a lot of trouble and eases planning greatly.  Willow in the wind.  

• Confused 1

That would mean each time I leave Thailand I have to get a new 1 year insurance policy every time I re-enter and the policy has to start on the exact date of entry otherwise its less than 1 year. 

I entered this morning with my Thai Elite Visa and a 1 year policy which was purchased in June 2021 and needs renewal in June 2022. 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I entered this morning with my Thai Elite Visa and a 1 year policy which was purchased in June 2021 and needs renewal in June 2022. 

Another case of it depending upon the immigration office that stamps you into the country.

i was just stating what the basic requirements are.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:
20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another case of it depending upon the immigration office that stamps you into the country.

i was just stating what the basic requirements are.

4 Entries this year under Emergency Decree regulations (which stipulate Insurance for the duration of stay). 

1 Entry on a Non-Imm O Visa (90 day) - I was holding a 1 year policy (expired in 10 months)

1 Entry on Extension of stay based on marriage (& re-entry permit) - Insurance expiring in 2 months

1 Entry on Extension of stay based on marriage (& re-entry permit) - Insurance expiring in 9 months

1 Entry on Elite Visa - Insurance expiring in 7 months

Immigration have not checked my insurance papers (at the regular Immigration hall / counter on arrival)./

But, the Insurance papers have been checked by the staff checking documents at the first check-point and by airline staff on checking in for the flights. 

As I am on a Life Time Thai Elite Visa (5 years renewable for life S.E. Visa (Thai Elite Membership was originally a lifetime membership) - I theoretically should have a LifeTime insurance, or at the very least insurance to cover me up to the remainder of my editing visa.

That could get very sticky - I suspect a bit of common sense prevails or they are just wanting to ensure a minimum of 90 days insurance cover (just a guess on that last part).