COVID insurance that covers asymptomatic quarantine in hospital?

I got AXA insurance as I saw, link below, on this website that AXA provided asymptomatic coverage. After hearing a few awful stories of people being taken away to hospital, I thought I should double check I was fully covered against all eventualities.

I have lined AXA regarding the asymptomatic coverage and will let you guys know the result.

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 8:44 PM, bangkokbonecollector said:

I got AXA insurance as I saw, link below, on this website that AXA provided asymptomatic coverage. After hearing a few awful stories of people being taken away to hospital, I thought I should double check I was fully covered against all eventualities.

I have lined AXA regarding the asymptomatic coverage and will let you guys know the result.

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Did they ring you back?

What if you test negative but someone seated next to you in the airplane or van to the hotel tested positive? Does AXA cover that as well? Because you will be quarantined...

A little update.

I'm still unsure if any insurance at all will cover a negative tested, forcibly quarantined person.

Why isn't the TH gov. clear about this situation? It will be a <deleted>show once word gets out.

You followed all bureaucratic and draconian steps to meet all requirements of the Thailand pass, double vaxxed, tested negative twice but then by bad luck the passenger next to you tests positive. You then either forcibly follow a quarantine program in your hotel or hospitel for 14 days, ruining your holiday and costing you a lot of money, or standing ground and ending up in IDC immigration prison. ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Velleman said:

A little update.

I'm still unsure if any insurance at all will cover a negative tested, forcibly quarantined person.

Why isn't the TH gov. clear about this situation? It will be a <deleted>show once word gets out.

You followed all bureaucratic and draconian steps to meet all requirements of the Thailand pass, double vaxxed, tested negative twice but then by bad luck the passenger next to you tests positive. You then either forcibly follow a quarantine program in your hotel or hospitel for 14 days, ruining your holiday and costing you a lot of money, or standing ground and ending up in IDC immigration prison. ????

If I get to that point I will probably tell them where to go and then arrange a massive discount in the hotel I am in for the extra 4 nights and another free PCR test on day 4. I am taking 20 Lateral flow tests with me.

• Thanks 1

I just tried to get the COVID AXA insurance for my Thai wife but Thailand is not  mentioned in the nationality list.

Looks like Thais are excluded from the COVID insurance.

I know Thais traveling to Thailand are not required to get insurance, and she's covered by our EU national health insurance anyway but still... I'd feel more at rest if she has extra insurance which also covers asymptomatic cases.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thais do not need the covid 19 insurance since they are entitled to free health care.

Yeah, but you know what free health care means yes? She'll be sent off to a field hospital or a government hospital, no way buddy.
We only want a private hospital if anything happens.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Velleman said:

Yeah, but you know what free health care means yes? She'll be sent off to a field hospital or a government hospital, no way buddy.
We only want a private hospital if anything happens.

She could get a local insurance policy that covers covid 19 that could be used if she tested positive. No need for one just to enter the country.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:42 AM, asiam110 said:

None of these overpriced thai insurances cover forced HRC hotel quarantine right?

I can only speak for AXA who have confirmed to me that they would not cover the additional nights in a hotel but would cover the additional PCR tests. I really do not see or believe that the Thai insurance policies are overpriced. My AXA for 90days cost me about 200US$. Similar insurance policies I found locally were 250US$ up. Remember, you only need 50US$ cover. Obviously if you are looking for a more complex insurance with a higher coverage amount, this is another matter. For your basic covid coverage needed for the Thailand Pass, Thai insurers seem to be the cheapest.

NB. Remember you should be getting a policy which covers asymptomatic.

Chok Dee ????

Any Thai-issued policy that includes COVID will cover symptomatic hospital admission.

Foreign issued policies might or might not...and frankly a lot would depend on how the hospital filled out the insurance forms, which Thai hospitals tend to do in a sketchy fashion.

If for example they put "diagnosis COVID, Treatment plan: admit, monitor O2 sat, antiviral medication"  then it would likely be fine. And yo uwould be given antivirals (and probably vitamins and other things ), unheard of not to medicate people in the hospital here regardless of need.

If they put "Asymptomatic, admit for quarantine only" or something like that, there'd likely be  a problem.

And no policy is going to cover quarantine in a hotel such as would be required if you'd sat next to someone who tested positive.

• Like 1

I also have the AXA and will certainly start a thread here if I have any Quarantine Surprise come Saturday.

My understanding is they don't cover "negative-test contact quarantine" because that's not a health situation, it's a forced trip interruption -- and at least in Germany there is separate insurance for that.  Which I don't have because it's, what, 60K THB for two weeks in a quarantine hotel?  IIRC from last time with proper quarantine, they did cover asymptomatic hospitalizations, but I can't remember where exactly I read that.

However I find it weird that people worry about the asymptomatic hospitalization case when saying "I can't smell" or "my toes feel funny" makes you symptomatic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

I also have the AXA and will certainly start a thread here if I have any Quarantine Surprise come Saturday.

My understanding is they don't cover "negative-test contact quarantine" because that's not a health situation, it's a forced trip interruption -- and at least in Germany there is separate insurance for that.  Which I don't have because it's, what, 60K THB for two weeks in a quarantine hotel?  IIRC from last time with proper quarantine, they did cover asymptomatic hospitalizations, but I can't remember where exactly I read that.

However I find it weird that people worry about the asymptomatic hospitalization case when saying "I can't smell" or "my toes feel funny" makes you symptomatic.

The concern is that many insurers will nto cover hospitalization that is medically unnecessary. Such subjective symptoms as you mention do not make hospitalization medically necessary.

On the plus side, Thai hospital completion of insurance forms is so sketchy that it would be hard to determine from them that a case was mild, and many foreign insurers would just assume hospitalization means at least moderately severe COVID unless they knew of Thai govt policy.

Most of the ThaiPass/$50k policies I've reviewed, including the ones which say "New, improved with Asymptomatic Coverage", do not in fact cover forced detention, with no symptoms. They cover "medically necessary treatments".

Richard Barrow quoted a friend of a friend who says he was detained because he shared transport from the airport to the hotel with a person who subsequently tested positive. Cost was quoted as 112,000 baht, I think and was claimed to have been covered by insurance.

The regime needs to clarify this ASAP. 

Just indemnify all ThaiPass arrivals and be done with it.

I guess I would buy up for solo transport.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:31 PM, Gottfrid said:

That is filed inside underlying conditions. What the heck has that to do with asymptomatic and Covid-19?

Please feel free to explain what gout has to do with that?

Don't ask him, ask the insurer.

Presumably the issue is that people with some chronic conditions are at higher risk of severe COVID (and thus higher hospital costs if infected) than people without. Not true of all chronic conditions of course but to be frank, Thai insurers are very shall we say unsophisticated when it comes to medical matters and assessing risk thereby. They also seem not to have medically trained people on staff or use them to review applications. (on the plus  side though, they will not blink at a completely asymptomatic person being hospitalized for 2 weeks, since they are familiar with government rules and local practices).

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:47 AM, Sheryl said:

Don't ask him, ask the insurer.

Presumably the issue is that people with some chronic conditions are at higher risk of severe COVID (and thus higher hospital costs if infected) than people without. Not true of all chronic conditions of course but to be frank, Thai insurers are very shall we say unsophisticated when it comes to medical matters and assessing risk thereby. They also seem not to have medically trained people on staff or use them to review applications. (on the plus  side though, they will not blink at a completely asymptomatic person being hospitalized for 2 weeks, since they are familiar with government rules and local practices).

I would like to know just one person that has bought AXA insurance for Covid-19 and actually had a payout for forced hospitalization for testing positive for Covid-19 upon arrival and was asymptomatic..... just one! Also, has anybody actually read the Policy details for AXA insurance Page 4 (Pre-existing conditions). They have a 12 month stability period where most Western insurance companies are 90 day stability of even 30 day stability. Read below... if you have visited a doctor and been prescribed medication within the last 12 months then you have a "pre-existing condition" and your claim will be denied even if you have been issued insurance.... doesn't seem like all the promoters of this insurance are not concerned about this 12 month stability period... Must just be me and my INTJ personality.....And not one western issued insurance provider will cover a claim for a forced hospitalization due to Covid if you are not sick or have symptoms.. they know this is an insurance scam.....let alone a claim if you are forced to a hospital because you sat beside someone on a flight to Thailand that tested positive for Covid-19....

2020625892_Page4AXAInsurancePolicywordingonStabilityperiod-12months.jpg.812ea1d982781bad1de799dba2af720a.jpg