Kasikorn Bank - Required to have certificate of residency?

I went yesterday to open a second bank account at Kasikorn bank.  First they told me I had to "make an appointment" and come back the next day.  The woman asked to see my passport and visa.  I have the 0 Visa extended to Feb 2022.  She said I needed a certificate of residency to go along with that and it had to be an original not a copy. 

I have not had this before when I opened my current bank account with SCB.  Has anyone else experienced such a requirement.  And candidly what sense does that make?  If I have a Visa I am obviously approved by immigration to be residing here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand. The land of unneccessary hurdles to live everyday life as an expat. Surprised they didn't ask for a work permit too. Seems they do everything to try to stop foreigners opening new accounts these days. The appointment requirement is now asked but not sure if they only apply it to foreigners or whether Thais need one to. Last time I opened an account was 2016 with KBank, was told at the door needed work permit (never have had), I had an account already so they let me pass. Was out with new account added to my online banking and an ATM card within 30 minutes. Let us know how you get on when you go back with your certificate of residency please.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

UK expats who don't reside in UK get their bank accounts closed. Thailand is not the only hurdles country.

I've been here in a 'fluid' capacity for 9 years and certainly permanent for the last 2 years. I have credit cards and bank accounts with institutions in the UK and they have my postal address here in los. Maybe it differs from bank to bank, and I would suspect it would be difficult to open a new account in the UK. Just in case you or anyone else is having any issues I can advise that my main bank RBS does not currently have a problem with me being an expat.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Foreigners are paranoid, this appointment is for your convenience. I am Thai and opened an account with Kasikorn. I was waiting an hour when a whitey walked in front of me.i complained, to be told he had an appointment.

A whitey? HaHa. I prefer the more formal "White Trash". Thank you

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Foreigners are paranoid, this appointment is for your convenience. I am Thai and opened an account with Kasikorn. I was waiting an hour when a whitey walked in front of me.i complained, to be told he had an appointment.

So they took a foreigner before you ...a Thai .....shameless action isn't it ....????  ????  , and then calling Thais racist's ???? 

• Haha 1

It just seems like a hurdle that is unnecessary.  Here the Thai government is doing everything to promote social distancing and obtaining a residence certificate means a trip to immigration.  I already have a residence certificate copy since I needed one to purchase a car.  So I can show them my car registration, my passport, my drivers license all of which demonstrate that I have a residence but yet they want again another unnecessary trip and a couple hours of my time to get a piece of paper that shows that I reside in Thailand which could be established by my 0 visa and extension. 

Just like Thailand is putting hoops for tourists to come to Thailand, Kasikorn obviously is putting hurdles up for foreigners to open accounts at their bank.  Guess which bank, I won't be opening an account with. 

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

It just seems like a hurdle that is unnecessary.  Here the Thai government is doing everything to promote social distancing and obtaining a residence certificate means a trip to immigration.  I already have a residence certificate copy since I needed one to purchase a car.  So I can show them my car registration, my passport, my drivers license all of which demonstrate that I have a residence but yet they want again another unnecessary trip and a couple hours of my time to get a piece of paper that shows that I reside in Thailand which could be established by my 0 visa and extension. 

Just like Thailand is putting hoops for tourists to come to Thailand, Kasikorn obviously is putting hurdles up for foreigners to open accounts at their bank.  Guess which bank, I won't be opening an account with.

Get a yellow house book/pink foreigner ID card, solves the issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Throw it back at them, ask them for a letter requesting a certificate of residence from immigration .. give it to immigration, get your certificate and open an account.

I have to agree, it's another pointless hurdle.

Doesn't seem too complicated, lots of people have had worse.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

UK expats who don't reside in UK get their bank accounts closed. Thailand is not the only hurdles country.

If you used a family member or someone's address to keep the account open, would that do?

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I am also a whitey. I assume that the farang was not Thai. 

So being a white Rhino / Elephant gave you no special status ????...?

Next time be sure to make appointment , seems they respect that order. ????

BTW  Gold is on his way to 51000 € a Kg.???? (50706 /€ when posting typing )

Edited by david555

I stopped by Kasi main branch a couple of months ago... My 16 yr old niece wanted to open a bank account - she is Thai - they told her to make an appt and come back tomorrow... they would not even let us in the bank... 

The times they are a changin...

[so you better start swimmin or you'll sink like a stone]

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

good to know at least one thing is equal. You sound upset ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe. Since getting my yellow house book and pink ID card I have not needed to open a bank acount. I did try to buy a prepaid data sim at AIS in a mall a few days ago and they wanted passport and would not accept pink card or Thai driving licence (or even photocopy of PP that I carry). That is despite me still having a Postpaid sim contract with them - for over a year. T.I.T.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

good to know at least one thing is equal. You sound upset ????

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The pink card again. Make that appointment request disappear.