Thailand steps up efforts to attract more expats

webfact

1 hour ago, dendijk said:

Hmmmm..... I did just that Mr Prayut. I came here after I married my thai wife. We bought a house, and some land to make a village to retire from. Then EGAT came in 2017 and said we are going to put a tower and a transmission line right through the middle of it. It is almost 2022 and we still haven't received any compensation. Almost broke we had no other choice to return to Europe now. But thank you for taking such good care of the 'expats'!

You was going to make a village? ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is setting up its efforts to attract more foreigners to settle in the country long term.

Here we go... just deposit your millions in Thai banks to prop up the system, in return get to spend more on condo's to help the developers out of a tight spot, then you can have a visa... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DLock said:

Just a suggestion, but why have a committee of Thai fossils trying to figure out what would tempt foreigners to come settle here.

Why not some focus groups made up of foreigners from each of your targeted areas and ask them and run your lame ideas past them.

Right now, you just making up ish. It might be easier than you think.

How many suggestions on this thread are just a tad self serving ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

its ironic that my friends & my 'plan B' funds are much much bigger than our 'plan A' investments in this country.

if thailand ever wants to see some (or all) of that plan A mana they sure as <deleted> won't be doing it by force.

you catch more flies with honey thailand. jus' sayin.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

They are getting closer. With the Thailand Pass requirement to pay for a hotel room on arrival--and then not getting around to approving the pass in time for the flight--they've almost got it done.

Sadly they seem to have got it done with Thai dependent child visas in some circumstances I believe - I think they increased the requirements for actually staying here to support a dependent child, but there are no restrictions on sending money from your home country for those who don't qualify for a Thai dependent child visa.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

1. ‘Rich’ global citizens

2. ‘Wealthy’ retirees

3. Digital nomads - or professionals working from Thailand

4. Highly skilled professionals

It's a nice idea, but even with long-term visas and owning land, does that make Thailand attractive enough as a permanent place to make a home, especially given that wealthy people have more options than most?  Will these "desirables" be protected from the other issues that foreigners face?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is setting up its efforts to attract more foreigners to settle in the country long term.

sure, sure and the one on top of their list is to (again) appreciate the baht.... was close to 34 to the USD now 32.7 or is the USD being depreacited

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DLock said:

Just a suggestion, but why have a committee of Thai fossils trying to figure out what would tempt foreigners to come settle here.

Why not some focus groups made up of foreigners from each of your targeted areas and ask them and run your lame ideas past them.

Right now, you just making up ish. It might be easier than you think.

Yes much better to let a committee of falang fossils whose major concern is the opening of bars and buying the cheapest <deleted> possible decide for as they will tell you they spend all the money and really keep the Thai economy moving.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Dream on, and when you eventually wake up, think of what you offer the "trillionaires" to became a part of Thailand, an underdeveloped country. Today it is nothing more than to be cheated. Few will fall into that trap. 

• Like 1

I kinda doubt the rich will put down roots here anymore than they have. It’s a poor nation attracting the same.  Unfortunately, poor farang here think they’re Thais and should receive the same treatment as them.  How to reduce their numbers while attracting expats with more money will be like walking a tightrope.  

Edited by Zozod
Grammatical error
  • Confused 1