AIS fiber own router - has anyone done it recently?

Poppadom

Hi,

Happy Fibre user here, but want to swap out the AIS supplied ZTE ZXHN H198A V3.0 router with my own. Can't change DNS and I'd need that to run PiHole on my NAS.
As far as I remember from previous posts it needs to support VLAN 10 and also need PPPoE credentials from AIS.
Has anyone done the swap recently?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Poppadom said:

That could be an option, but I don't want two routers. Will move to 2.5Gbps in the house and will also need a small switch.

AFAIK You need two parts - You can't just plug a fibre cable into your own router. 

AIS used to offer a Huawei HG8110H which is an ONT the size of a cigarette pack. This converts optical digital to ethernet, then you take an ethernet cable to your router. Using an ONT is a cleaner and more efficient method than using their router in bridge mode.

You router handles the PPPoE and the routing of the packets. You enter the the pinhole DNS into your router for networkwide blocking.

Speak to AIS.

For me, I prefer this, when they install the fibre they install to a fixed point, maybe close to somewhere you keep all your ugly utilities like the electrical box, then take the single ethernet cable to your router and the rest of your networking kit, NAS / servers, etc. Which gives you the freedom to move your network kit without the need to call back AIS and extend your fibre line.

What router are your thinking about?

Edited by recom273

28 minutes ago, recom273 said:

AFAIK You need two parts - You can't just plug a fibre cable into your own router. 

AIS used to offer a Huawei HG8110H which is an ONT the size of a cigarette pack. This converts optical digital to ethernet, then you take an ethernet cable to your router. Using an ONT is a cleaner and more efficient method than using their router in bridge mode.

You router handles the PPPoE and the routing of the packets. You enter the the pinhole DNS into your router for networkwide blocking.

Speak to AIS.

For me, I prefer this, when they install the fibre they install to a fixed point, maybe close to somewhere you keep all your ugly utilities like the electrical box, then take the single ethernet cable to your router and the rest of your networking kit, NAS / servers, etc. Which gives you the freedom to move your network kit without the need to call back AIS and extend your fibre line.

What router are your thinking about?

Yes, I've got the ONT and it is hooked up via ethernet to the router's WAN port. I just want to swap the router with my own. Thinking of a normal router, no fancy AX or MU-MIMO stuff as most devices (except for one) are connected via ethernet anyway. A solid ASUS or an Archer that supports openwrt.

Sorry, I don't understand - I first did mine when they introduced fibre connections and have been doing ever since.

Just swap the routers over, go to your router, change the connection typer to PPPoE, enter your ID and Pass, enter the address of your Pihole and you are up and running.

What's the question?

On 11/9/2021 at 11:15 PM, Poppadom said:

That could be an option, but I don't want two routers. Will move to 2.5Gbps in the house and will also need a small switch.

I really don't understand why just having AIS set their router to "bridge" mode which turns it into a dumb signal converter (i.e., fiber to ethernet signal) and then using your router is not acceptable.  I can't believe you don't have room for a setup.  It's how I've been running my AIS Fibre setup for years....the old AiS Huawei router was set to bridge mode (AIS can do this remotely) and then I use my ASUS personal router as the primary router.  

On 11/9/2021 at 8:28 PM, phetphet said:

I am on 3BB and what I have done is used my own Asus AC RT86U router and got 3BB to put their one into Bridge mode.

As above - we have AIs fibre and had it put in bridge mode.

Our wifi router is an Asus AC-88U - and as a bonus you can install Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on it and then run amtm to have Diversion running an on router level Ad-blocker fro all your devices on the wi-fi.

"Asuswrt-Merlin is a third party alternative firmware for Asus routers, with a special emphasis on tweaks and fixes rather than radical changes or collecting as many features as possible"

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net

4 minutes ago, coops said:

As above - we have AIs fibre and had it put in bridge mode.

Our wifi router is an Asus AC-88U - and as a bonus you can install Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on it and then run amtm to have Diversion running an on router level Ad-blocker fro all your devices on the wi-fi.

"Asuswrt-Merlin is a third party alternative firmware for Asus routers, with a special emphasis on tweaks and fixes rather than radical changes or collecting as many features as possible"

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net

unfortunately,  all of that is meaningless to an awful lot of us, you may as well be be writing it in Egyptian hieroglyphs.  Its a  shame,  as it is probably good sound advice and guidance.