Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Karma80 said:

The trap is sprung! You have to make it out alive too.

Remember that test before you fly? Better hope you didn't get covid while you were playing in the covid capital of SE Asia.

Seriously though. Even with a robust insurance policy (very very few) that will genuinely pay for ALL your expenses in the event of an asymptotic test with no medically necessary treatment, nobody is covered for a quarantine hotel for being a close contact.

I should think most if not all insurance companies will not pay out for quarantine in a hotel if you test negative for covid 19. Plus I thought they had to have a certificate showing they were negative before they could board the plane to travel to Thailand? So technically everyone who was on the same flight   should be tested. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Kirovs estimates he may have to pay 350,000 Baht towards hospital and quarantine fees if his insurance provider won’t cover it.

ridiculous     !    what's the point in mandatory 50k insurance cover which must include Covid19 .    ?

• Like 1

Just now, JeffersLos said:

Nice bit of money.

The cynic in me wonders how much commission the testers get for each positive test. 

I think this is why you have to choose a hotel that uses a more respected hospital, probably less chance of it happening at bumrungrad for example, if they still value international medical tourism, vs a smaller private hospital that is struggling

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nickelbeer said:

This is extortion on a level with the Philippines "bullet scam". At least, in the Phil, we can be fairly sure that it will never happen again. Not so with Thailand.

What are the rules on "alternative" quarantine?.  My girlfriend tested positive, though with few symptoms and was allowed to stay in the condo building next door and the 3000 baht cost was shared by another female. The condo was apparently owned by her Aunt. Getting this information was difficult because her English is almost non-existent, even using a phone translator. I would like to be tested, but I don't have huge sums of money to contribute to public officials. Comments?

Many of the $50,000 policies for ThailandPass/Test&Go I've looked at (AXA, Tune) say they cover Asymptomatic detention. But the fine print actually says that they only pay for medically necessary treatment. 

I would expect that this will change though. Without assurances, people will not come.

Sharing a van, from the airport to the hotel, with someone who tests positive, while you test negative, still lands you in detention, with a bill ranging from 50,000 - 150,000 THB, and insurance companies telling to to pound sand.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

ridiculous     !    what's the point in mandatory 50k insurance cover which must include Covid19 .    ?

I'm pretty sure the insurance will cover. It's all just a media hype

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

350,000 baht hospital bill, nearly £8,000 for 10 day stay! Must be a good room at 35,000 baht a night!

That wasn't just for his hospital bill though, was it? As clearly stated in the article, that was the estimated possible total for him being in hospital, plus his wife and two kids being in an ASQ hotel.

As someone else mentioned, if his wife and two kids later came up positive as well, that could end up costing him even more.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

I don't normally come down on the side of the system, but Kirov has replied on Barrow "Today I felt the first symptoms -  mild headache and strange feeling in the chest, so I can confirm stat this is not a total scam. 
But now I am super afraid about the upcoming test for my family
"

So he does have the virus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DefaultName said:

I don't normally come down on the side of the system, but Kirov has replied on Barrow "Today I felt the first symptoms -  mild headache and strange feeling in the chest, so I can confirm stat this is not a total scam. 
But now I am super afraid about the upcoming test for my family
"

So he does have the virus.

Headache and chest pains listed as possible side-effects of the mandated/quassi-forced antiviral medicine?

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

350,000 baht hospital bill, nearly £8,000 for 10 day stay! Must be a good room at 35,000 baht a night!

I think you get a free game of golf each day with free Caddy and Cart along with a special delux Kow Pat Guy 3 times a day Chris “;0)