Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

22 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

You are wrong about entry requirements to the US. It only reopened to non-US citizens at the beginning of the week and the requirements for entry are clearly laid out - ESTA, C19 test within 72 hours of travel and agreement to do one 3-5 days after arrival for contact tracing. I am travelling there next month from the UK btw....

Your comments about entry to the UK are not correct either. There is no longer a red list and associated quarantine hotels. You have to complete a passenger locator form prior to entering the UK and register a lateral flow test on it, which is submitted on day 2. If you fail that, you are asked to self isolate for 10 days. No enforced stay in a quarantine hotel. 

As for your comments about death rates, if you seriously believe the Thai figures are comparable with those taken in the UK and USA, you must be joking right?

Keep wearing the tin foil hat and let people get on with their lives. Vaccines were developed to prevent serious illness and death and have done a terrific job in that respect. I'm sure you'd have us walking around in masks ad infinitum in a perpetual state of fear. 

I did it in May and I am not wrong

I arrived on May 23. I left on June 15 after my 2nd shot. 

My son and I have US passports. My wife has Japanese. Neither nationality had to do these things

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

You being far too polite! An Imbecilic Moron would be closer!

Right, so you're from the crowd that acts recklessly and expects others to foot the bill. Grow up and learn some responsibility. This ain't the UK where the government protects you from your own stupidity, if you can't take responsibility for yourself then stay at home.

Edited by wprime
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

57 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I don't normally come down on the side of the system, but Kirov has replied on Barrow "Today I felt the first symptoms -  mild headache and strange feeling in the chest, so I can confirm stat this is not a total scam. 
But now I am super afraid about the upcoming test for my family
"

So he does have the virus.

Has he now tested POSITIVE? - I guess if he is now "saying" he has symptoms and is being treated form them - He can now claim from his insurance with some confidence... Its one way of making the system work.

• Like 2

Why does the guy have to stay in the hospital for 10 days can’t they test him the following day in the hospital maybe the test that was positive was a false reading it but I had no symptoms and was tested before he got on the plane it was negative then he gets off the plane takes the test and tighten it says he’s positive maybe that test is incorrect I think the hospital should give them another test maybe the guys even have it TIT

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't get why any actual tourist would be so eager to visit Thailand so soon. Surely the temples are not that enthralling?

Does not apply to expats returning to family. Obviously wanting to go back asap.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't get why any actual tourist would be so eager to visit Thailand so soon. Surely the temples are not that enthralling?

Does not apply to expats returning to family. Obviously wanting to go back asap.

Thailand has many other attractions other than temples. The wildlife springs to mind ....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ianguygil said:

I did it in May and I am not wrong

I arrived on May 23. I left on June 15 after my 2nd shot. 

My son and I have US passports. My wife has Japanese. Neither nationality had to do these things

The US reopened on 8th November to non-US citizens unless they were travelling on a special visa. Sorry, it was headline news here in the UK. I have been trying to get back to visit family for the last 18 months! Trump signed the executive order in March 2020 iirc. So I am not sure on what visa your wife enters if she has no US credentials. Does she have a green card or permanent residency?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Kirovs estimates he may have to pay 350,000 Baht towards hospital and quarantine fees if his insurance provider won’t cover it.

“I knew that I was taking a gamble when I chose to buy plane tickets as soon as the Thailand reopening was announced,” Kirovs told Richard.

“We lost that bet.”

Totally irresponsible, and why mandatory insurance for these people is a must.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Totally irresponsible, and why mandatory insurance for these people is a must.

The family has insurance, sufficient insurance to qualify for the thailand pass, it's just weather any sane international insurance underwriter is going to cover illogical government behavior, that said with toddler it's still irresponsible be a nightmare for kids locked up that long in a hotel room

• Like 2

Just now, asiam110 said:

Looks like there another 3-24 cases today, depending on the density of the inbound flights, 3 best case scenario no one in the 3x3 matrix of your seat, to 24 if plane full and you're in a seat surrounded by others (i.e. not window)..

Please provide the source