Desperate Situation During Pandemic

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

I am concerned about the 'suicidal' comment. Please don't do anything rash. As Dr. Jack stated you likely do not have an immediate issue...the bigger concern is your longer term planning. Without a valid reason to stay, eventually your border run plans will not work in your goal of building a future for your family. What about trying to find meaningful work with a proper work permit which would allow you to stay on legally without the hurdles ? I know you don't want to sacrifice your online freelance dreams but building a family and a future for them is all about sacrifice not immediate gratification of what you might want. Good luck to you.

I previously wanted to work as a teacher here. I did not finish my degree, so I don't have a diploma to prove I could work here, so I didn't get a work permit, although I work as an online teacher due to my high efforts. I didn't graduate, because it was just not challenging enough. I asked if I could work without any wage also, and this was not reasonable to ask really. I love teaching, but in any case I would be required to have a diploma to do it, as my skills are not enough to do it and "legalize".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Understood...but please don't take this the wrong way..but if you want to better your future and take care of your family and their future....get done what needs to be done, graduate, get a diploma and many more options will be open to you. If you were a single, unattached guy, I'd say throw your hat in the ring and let the chips fall as you try to hit the jackpot but it sounds like you have others to take care of and that is why you need to put your dreams off for now and get some real concrete plans in place.

You are right, thank you so much for your comments and being realistic in this situation. I just know that people previously used ED visas, which I don't mind, as I actually would love learning specific things, but currently it doesn't seem doable, at least without leaving the country first.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, USEpat said:

You're young, you've got a family here, you're apparently healthy (so far), and you've got a Visa problem.  It's Thailand - there are always VIsa problems and always ways to fix them. 

Agree with the suggestion that you're up for one or two more COVID extensions. 

Agree with the fellow who suggests you get your credentials finished - it's silly not to have a degree and expect to be hired as a teacher.  Not being vaccinated is a limiting decision - where you go, what you do and puts your health at risk.  Why do that?

There's always the old, reliable marriage Visa................which means you have to marry the young woman.  Can't be that bad, eh? And removes all the stress with so many loose ends.

Tomorrow's another day.  Get a plan.  Make a list.  Take one step-at-a-time. Small steps are OK as long as their headed in a useful direction.

Good luck. 

Thank you for your comment. Regarding the marriage visa, as far as I know, I have to season 400k baht in a bank account for a few months before I could be eligible for it? Is that correct?

23 minutes ago, JaydenL said:

You are right, thank you so much for your comments and being realistic in this situation. I just know that people previously used ED visas, which I don't mind, as I actually would love learning specific things, but currently it doesn't seem doable, at least without leaving the country first.

ED visa is still possible, but probably not in every province.

But will also cost you 40k or so.

3 minutes ago, USEpat said:

there are always VIsa problems and always ways to fix them. 

But the ways to fix them cost money, and he says he doesn't have the 60k for a volunteer visa. He probably also doesn't have the 400k to put on a bank account in case he gets married.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

ED visa is still possible, but probably not in every province.

But will also cost you 40k or so.

But the ways to fix them cost money, and he says he doesn't have the 60k for a volunteer visa. He probably also doesn't have the 400k to put on a bank account in case he gets married.

I am okay with that price for an ED visa, but I'm thinking if I could do it while still in country? I'm Bangkok-based. Previously before CoViD, we had to leave the country to get it.

We've all been young here too and many faced with the same problems, I know I have, and you're not alone in having issues about visas. I don't know where you're from originally but the friends I know that didn't get their visas extended were those that could fairly easily fly back to their countries. 

If you have that partner you feel so strongly about, go for it and get married and then at least you get yourself on a footing you can work from. I know how you feel as i had to leave so often in the past due to work in my home country and visas etc., but you're too young to be so desperate so find a way.

It's almost impossible to nip around like many of us did before, with months on Bali, then months in Thailand, with many quick and relatively easy land border options to renew visas. I hope you find a way, as you shouldn't be feeling like this at your age but I do understand it.

Making it official with your partner must be your best option I think

Good luck buddy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrMilk said:

I wouldn't worry to much about the Covid extension. As Jack says its very likely going to continue for several more months.

Even if you get denied at your current immigration office you can always travel to another office and try again. As long the government continue issuing them you will be able to stay legally in Thailand (even if it involves some extra travel/hassle).

What you need to focus your time and energy on is making money. Or finding a way that can make you more money. Finding a extra income online is more than possible.

Without money its just a matter of time before you either have to leave or end up in trouble. 

Be creative (but stay within the law of course).

Your mental state sounds tiring. Maybe its a idea to do some searching online and see if you can find (free) support or just someone to talk to.

There is helplines where you can reach out and have a chat for free. Maybe a suitable forum or similar can be an idea. Sometimes it helps just to vent a bit.

Workout or simply having a long walk can give short-term relief.

Write down a plan so you have it all in front of you. What to do on a day to day basis to get in a better position by early 2022.

Good luck in turning things around!

That's what I'm strongly focused on currently, I'm trying to save funds for any worst case scenario now. I'm just thinking if it's a verbal denial, I can definitely try another office, even though I never had any comments regarding all of my previous extensions, I think it's just that a lot of stories and comments induce that type of fear really. However, if I get stamped, I heard there would be no other option, but close that under consideration stamp by fulfilling specific requirements, such as buying an outbound ticket, at the same office.

Thanks for your suggestions.

4 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

We've all been young here too and many faced with the same problems, I know I have, and you're not alone in having issues about visas. I don't know where you're from originally but the friends I know that didn't get their visas extended were those that could fairly easily fly back to their countries. 

If you have that partner you feel so strongly about, go for it and get married and then at least you get yourself on a footing you can work from. I know how you feel as i had to leave so often in the past due to work in my home country and visas etc., but you're too young to be so desperate so find a way.

It's almost impossible to nip around like many of us did before, with months on Bali, then months in Thailand, with many quick and relatively easy land border options to renew visas. I hope you find a way, as you shouldn't be feeling like this at your age but I do understand it.

Making it official with your partner must be your best option I think

Good luck buddy

That's what I thought before the pandemic when I relocated here, I always felt that I could leave Thailand and go to Vietnam to live for a few months, not staying here for a year or two consecutively. It's just that now traveling is not so easy anymore, quarantine rules, entry requirements, it's hard to predict, as well as apply for all the formal documents, getting an insurance and so on. I just wish it was different, maybe it would take some time to make it easier. That's why I hope there would be some sort of leniency regarding the current extensions.

I think I could go home easily, it's just that I would probably feel more depressed there with no close people around me, just starting my life over.

1 minute ago, JaydenL said:

That's what I thought before the pandemic when I relocated here, I always felt that I could leave Thailand and go to Vietnam to live for a few months, not staying here for a year or two consecutively. It's just that now traveling is not so easy anymore, quarantine rules, entry requirements, it's hard to predict, as well as apply for all the formal documents, getting an insurance and so on. I just wish it was different, maybe it would take some time to make it easier. That's why I hope there would be some sort of leniency regarding the current extensions.

I think I could go home easily, it's just that I would probably feel more depressed there with no close people around me, just starting my life over.

Where are you from buddy?  

I dotted around SE Asia for 25+ years but as you say the times have changed. I guess you're in your 20s right?  i first moved to Asia when I was 25 but kept some freelance work in London and Ireland. Wouldn't that work for you for a while? Some time in your own country to work and save then head back to Asia and feel more secure that you can feel relaxed there. 

I had many terrible departures from Asia in the early years but in time, that way of life becomes normal and you can build your savings and feel more secure. Thailand can seem like this paradise that's hard to leave, as i often felt like that about Bali.

Talking of Bali, there is a vibrant and young digital nomad community there and if you're on the list of 19 or so countries that are allowed in, it's very cheap this time of year it being monsoon season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oblomov said:

Where are you from buddy?  

I dotted around SE Asia for 25+ years but as you say the times have changed. I guess you're in your 20s right?  i first moved to Asia when I was 25 but kept some freelance work in London and Ireland. Wouldn't that work for you for a while? Some time in your own country to work and save then head back to Asia and feel more secure that you can feel relaxed there. 

I had many terrible departures from Asia in the early years but in time, that way of life becomes normal and you can build your savings and feel more secure. Thailand can seem like this paradise that's hard to leave, as i often felt like that about Bali.

Talking of Bali, there is a vibrant and young digital nomad community there and if you're on the list of 19 or so countries that are allowed in, it's very cheap this time of year it being monsoon season.

I am currently 29 years old and I'm from Europe, I feel like if I leave Thailand, the current entry requirements might be too difficult for me to fulfill to come back, I think my issues are also regarding the fact that I would not wish to hurry regarding the vaccine due to specific news I read about it, like I do not want to potentially poison my body, it takes a while to prove something in the end. That said, in this particular situation I'm thinking if I could do something to switch to a long-term opportunity while still in country rather than leaving it to make matters worse.

Sometimes I am thinking this way too, but as you said, it just feels too hard to leave when you are already here. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

You don't have any future in Thailand. Harsh, but true. I would marry the lady you are with and bring her back to your country. You could have wiggled this lifestyle say 10 years ago, but this pandemic will never end which will make your stay in Thailand impossible.

And before someone accuses me of being an a$$ I just want to let you know that I also went through total loss of online income during pandemic. My main source for years was amazon and closure of PayPal is also affecting me. Fortunately my wife helped me a lot through this as she has a an excellent job and I saved enough money to sustain me for many years here. We also have our own place in Bangkok. My backup plan was also teaching and I have a degree. But even with this I don't see future here for myself. We are leaving this country. It doesn't take a genius to predict the future.  Think seriously about healthcare and how much it will cost you. Think about how difficult the life in Thailand will be with increased requirements. Check what Malaysia did and expect the same or worse in Thailand.

Don't waste your life here. It's really pointless.

I'm pretty sure you are right, I feel like the requirements each month will just start to be harsher until it's just not possible to plan or do anything. I was wondering, do you use PayPal Thailand? I am still not certain whether I could access my PayPal that has no affiliations with Thailand other than using my Thai number? Like if I get paid in USD and withdraw to a US bank account, should I be worried in any way? Should I change my number from Thai to an European one? I still can't find any information if I'm considered a PayPal Thailand user, since my PayPal doesn't have anything Thai in it other than a number.

Thanks for this if you think you could clarify.

20 minutes ago, JaydenL said:

I was wondering, do you use PayPal Thailand? I am still not certain whether I could access my PayPal that has no affiliations with Thailand other than using my Thai number? Like if I get paid in USD and withdraw to a US bank account, should I be worried in any way? Should I change my number from Thai to an European one? I still can't find any information if I'm considered a PayPal Thailand user, since my PayPal doesn't have anything Thai in it other than a number.

I'm not sure about the question. Yes, I have PayPal Thailand and also PayPal Canada. Thailand will be finished and done in February for individual users unless you set up Thai corp. If you open a PayPal account in another country you need to get verified. They'll ask for utility bills, bank statement, ID card. If you linked your US bank account with PayPal Thailand I wouldn't use on on another PayPal account. The bot might block it, funds held who knows.

Edited by Pravda

1 minute ago, Pravda said:

I'm not sure about the question. Yes, I have PayPal Thailand and also PayPal Canada. Thailand will be finished and done in February for individual users unless you set up Thai corp. If you don't have non Thai PayPal account I think you need to get verified. They'll ask for utility bills, bank statement, ID card. If you linked your US bank account with PayPal Thailand I wouldn't use on on another PayPal account. The bit might block it, funds held who knows.

I use my European PayPal account, not PayPal Thailand, as I never set up PayPal Thailand, just logging in from Thailand for a while. I'm wondering if I'll still be able to utilize my non-Thai PayPal as usual, or whether this would also affect non-Thai PayPal accounts if accessing from Thailand? Do you have any thoughts?

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Pravda said:

That's good news then as you should not be affected in any way. 

That's what I thought also, thanks for clarifying, I hope things turn out well for you and your family as well based on your decisions.

Best

Well said brotha, it's all this stupid bureaucracy the only problem. Immigration makes money with all these visas from farangs but this is how the world works, you must to have satang and take care Thai ladies 

I wish you good luck!

Edited by Jack1988
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JaydenL said:

I know that currently there's another extension announced which would give me time until the end of January, but I am completely upset after reading many denial reports and knowing that I've stayed here for so long. I also know that even if I get one, it'd be a short term solution, unless another extension is announced, but again, even if it is, the foreigners who do not like people like me "playing with the system" just constantly increase stress by saying that such extensions are optional, and anyone can be denied.

Where did you read visa extension denial stories?

OP I think most of the people who were denied of extension travelled to Thailand post COVID outbreak. 

I think people like you who arrived pre COVID outbreak get favorable treatment by the immigration. 

1 minute ago, lolalol said:

OP I think most of the people who were denied of extension travelled to Thailand post COVID outbreak. 

I think people like you who arrived pre COVID outbreak get favorable treatment by the immigration. 

I've read some mainly on Thai Visa Advice Facebook group, the largest one, the most prominent is for someone who had two extensions from Malaysia, and was given a verbal denial asking to present an outbound flight ticket in 7 days to grant him another extension, or find another job position.

3 minutes ago, lolalol said:

This covid extension will not be forever. There are too many farangs that are taking advantage from it 

Edited by Jack1988