AstraZeneka vs. Pfizer which one to take?

lexlam

14 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

Not True. There are now some reservation about Astra. I would go for Pfizer.

AZ is an OK jab.  The blood clot issue is very rare, and overblown in the media.  But yes, I'd opt for Pfizer if possible.  Around 500,000 die from blood clots every year in the EU.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/10/986042474/several-countries-curb-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-use-amid-blood-clot-concerns

European officials have identified roughly 200 clots among 25 million people who received the AstraZeneca shots in Europe

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Close to impossible to compare the different jabs as the clinical trials were done with different groups of people and at different times.  J&J was done when the delta variant was coming out.

In the end, all are OK jabs.  As Fauci said, the best jab is the one you can get into your arm now.

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Close to impossible to compare the different jabs as the clinical trials were done with different groups of people and at different times.  J&J was done when the delta variant was coming out.

In the end, all are OK jabs.  As Fauci said, the best jab is the one you can get into your arm now.

I just thought some sort of official seeming comparison may help a poster who regards opinions on health by denizens of this forum to be a good idea.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure I trust Thai doctors that much.

I would not trust anyone who  is shameful enough to overcharge for any treatment or prevention for a pandemic which has cost many life's and livelihoods. I am not saying all doctors do this, but it is obvious many do.

15 hours ago, Tonypandy said:

Normally the advice would be to ask his doctor and not to ask on a forum like this. But the problem these days regardless of his current health issues doctors are taking a "one size fits all" mentality. So you can't even trust your doctor anymore. 

"Normally the advice would be to ask his doctor and not to ask on a forum like this".

I understand that, but it is also helpful to get peoples experience of things.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Normally the advice would be to ask his doctor and not to ask on a forum like this".

I understand that, but it is also helpful to get peoples experience of things.

Perhaps you mean "Some doctors, are taking a "one size fits all" appraoch.

I am pleased to say my GP certainly is not.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I just thought some sort of official seeming comparison may help a poster who regards opinions on health by denizens of this forum to be a good idea.

Agreed!  That link I put up from the NY times is pretty good also.  In the end, they're all pretty good jabs.  Just get one! LOL

His age is 49 or 50, with DM type 2, taking mitformin tablets, besides this he is in a good health, no smoker, no alcohol drinker, 

You ask such a question in an internet forum? For a friend? Really?

Does he not know there are people called doctors. They often stay in big houses called hospitals. Some are even working in smaller houses not far to go.

8 hours ago, sezze said:

I see. But I think the AZ and Pfizer remain the same at preventing hospitalization and death.  I take your point, but you know graphs are kind of selective, although useful.

I do prefer the real world data effectiveness coming out of PHE, which thus far shows each to be around 80% effective against symptomatic infection after a few months.

Actually, it seems to me that the biggest lesson is that these are 3 dose vaccines.

I guess anything coming out of either country could be regarded as biased, so here is an Australian view. This again is key real world data.  The article is a good read.  Reassuringly it points out that both vaccines are highly effective, and I think it's fair to say the result is a draw.  That certainly seems to be the case in the UK too.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/evidence-indicates-astrazeneca-and-pfizer-covid-va

'Evidence suggests AstraZeneca and Pfizer are equally effective.'

I thought this a key statement '‘How things perform in a clinical trial don’t always equate to how they perform in the world, so it gives us confidence that these vaccines, in this study, performed equally as well in terms of preventing disease and they’re hitting the mark in a number of ways.’

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I see. But I think the AZ and Pfizer remain the same at preventing hospitalization and death.  I take your point, but you know graphs are kind of selective, although useful.

I do prefer the real world data effectiveness coming out of PHE, which thus far shows each to be around 80% effective against symptomatic infection after a few months.

Actually, it seems to me that the biggest lesson is that these are 3 dose vaccines.

In order of breakthrough infections , yes a booster is needed . This thx to the Delta variant , where the vaccines just fall back a little , but enough to still give problems. How long we still got problems with this virus is unknown , but it ain't over just yet . However i must say , it has been a while i heard something about different mutations showing up , so hopefully we got the worst behind us .

I think , but i'm no researcher there might be a 4th shot needed also , with not only a booster but adapted to some diff variants , but we will see ...

On 11/15/2021 at 7:39 AM, sezze said:

True , vaccination is most important . But the OP said he wants to know the choice between the AZ and the Pfizer . Both are good vaccines , better then the Chinese made (i think there was 1 exception , but ok ) , and are safe . Now a few months down the line , the differences between AZ and Pfizer are becoming more visible , and Pfizer looks better in protection longer time .

Long term, it wouldn't felly matter. The point of a vaccine is to stimulate the immune system and to get it ready for potential infection. That's when the B and T-cells take over. Take whatever is readily available, and the vulnerable should keep wearing masks/social distancing after vaccination. Hospitalisation and deaths are higher among the elderly/immunocompromised than have been vaccinated compared to younger people who have been vaccinated. 

• Like 1