Covid extension details

Hey guys,

One of my friends will go do a Covid extension tomorrow (his second one). He is based in Bkk, so I guess that he has to go to MTT?

His first extension was made through an agent, this time he wants to do it himself.

Also, he has never made a TM30 somehow. They will require one from him, right? Can he do it over there as well? He lives with his gf in her house, no rental agreement. Can she just come with her blue book for the TM30? They'll pay a fine 800-1600B, is that also correct?

Finally, he has to do his 90 days report at the same time, he can do it there as well?

Thanks a lot, I know this is a lot of questions.

Nothing serious but if the agent did at the same place it might raise some question marks with the IO. its also because he never did TM30 before too. If the IO is a serious one he will ask questions for sure, and do a proper check, i would. Another thing is most agencies just do the visa and other things but (i dont know how to say) they dont put you into the system. So when IO checks from the computer he might not see your friend. There are always risky things when you use an agency. Also I really cannot remember when but i kind of remember that in this forum someone mentioned that they didnt give him another covid visa because he didnt do TM30 and its breaking the rules so they didnt extend or give another covid visa. i might be remembering wrong. i recommend that your friend prepare a backup story just in case if they ask questions there.. because if creates a story there TRUST me they will understand and not going to buy it. 

This been said, the most likely scenario will happen is; they will little bit complain about the TM30, get some money and yes i think its 2000. Do all the things and let your friend go. 

Edited by problemfarang

12 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Nothing serious but if the agent did at the same place it might raise some question marks with the IO. its also because he never did TM30 before too. If the IO is a serious one he will ask questions for sure, and do a proper check, i would. Another thing is most agencies just do the visa and other things but (i dont know how to say) they dont put you into the system. So when IO checks from the computer he might not see your friend. There are always risky things when you use an agency. Also I really cannot remember when but i kind of remember that in this forum someone mentioned that they didnt give him another covid visa because he didnt do TM30 and its breaking the rules so they didnt extend or give another covid visa. i might be remembering wrong. i recommend that your friend prepare a backup story just in case if they ask questions there.. because if creates a story there TRUST me they will understand and not going to buy it. 

This been said, the most likely scenario will happen is; they will little bit complain about the TM30, get some money and yes i think its 2000. Do all the things and let your friend go. 

Thanks for your answer, my friend will be upfront and say that last time he asked an agent to take care of his covid extension as he wasn't sure what was required. He was never asked for a TM30 and is more than willing to correct his mistake. Do you think it's a bad idea?

Also, as I understand the last covid extension was made in another province by the agent (typical I guess)

1 minute ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Thanks for your answer, my friend will be upfront and say that last time he asked an agent to take care of his covid extension as he wasn't sure what was required. He was never asked for a TM30 and is more than willing to correct his mistake. Do you think it's a bad idea?

Also, as I understand the last covid extension was made in another province by the agent (typical I guess)

well yes and no..

To get the extension in another place or city is good. They wont check most likely. They wont waste time for that. Also no need at all. So no problem here.

About TM30 if i were him, i would just tell them i also want to do my TM30 here because now we are living here and again with my girlfriend or wife. If there is problem with TM30 i would tell them i didnt know about it because of covid. and i just thought its not that important since i was staying with my wife or girlfriend all the time, so sorry.. my bad.. Just accept it. No need to mention agency thing because they will udnerstand at that moment things are not real. And questions will start for sure. Not sure how much it will affect but will sure. 

So try to find another story for TM30 if you dont want to say i ignored it. They might not like it as well. I think the best thing here to say is, he doesnt know that he has to do TM30 when staying with girlfriend. He thinks TM30 is only for if you rent a house or condo or likewise ???? and say sorry for it and tell them you will be very careful about it next time. 

good luck

• Haha 1

OP,...the io is not interested in previous covid extension apart from it's expiry date.

Reports are that often TM30 is asked for. 

To keep it simple you could stay one night at a Bangkok hotel asking them first if they will do a TM30 and also provide you with screenshot of filing TM30.

Regarding where you apply. 

Depends how entered Thailand. If visa exempt you will attend MTT.

He won't get to see the io untill lady at que desk issues que #. She will check docs first.

All this is done on Level 2. (L1 being ground floor).

Note there is photocopy place L1 if required. 

Not sure if Bangkok immigration is requiring 90 day report. Until recently 90 report was not required by folk that entered visa exempt and tourist visas.

Bit of separate issue. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

well yes and no..

To get the extension in another place or city is good. They wont check most likely. They wont waste time for that. Also no need at all. So no problem here.

About TM30 if i were him, i would just tell them i also want to do my TM30 here because now we are living here and again with my girlfriend or wife. If there is problem with TM30 i would tell them i didnt know about it because of covid. and i just thought its not that important since i was staying with my wife or girlfriend all the time, so sorry.. my bad.. Just accept it. No need to mention agency thing because they will udnerstand at that moment things are not real. And questions will start for sure. Not sure how much it will affect but will sure. 

So try to find another story for TM30 if you dont want to say i ignored it. They might not like it as well. I think the best thing here to say is, he doesnt know that he has to do TM30 when staying with girlfriend. He thinks TM30 is only for if you rent a house or condo or likewise ???? and say sorry for it and tell them you will be very careful about it next time. 

good luck

Thank you for taking the time, I will relay all the information. He always apologizes for everything, I'm sure he'll fit right in at immigration ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP,...the io is not interested in previous covid extension apart from it's expiry date.

Reports are that often TM30 is asked for. 

To keep it simple you could stay one night at a Bangkok hotel asking them first if they will do a TM30 and also provide you with screenshot of filing TM30.

Regarding where you apply. 

Depends how entered Thailand. If visa exempt you will attend MTT.

He won't get to see the io untill lady at que desk issues que #. She will check docs first.

All this is done on Level 2. (L1 being ground floor).

Note there is photocopy place L1 if required. 

Not sure if Bangkok immigration is requiring 90 day report. Until recently 90 report was not required by folk that entered visa exempt and tourist visas.

Bit of separate issue. 

Thank you for your detailed answer. He had an Elite visa like me and I'm fairly confident that his last entry in Thailand was under Elite. Does that mean his Covid extension would be made at CW? Then that means going to MTT for TM30 and 90 days report and then following at CW for his extension. 

He will have 2 photocopies of each page of his passport, 10 photos and polite attire, he is a bit of an overachiever ????

9 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Could you please elaborate on that? Asking sincerely. Thank you

The GF just submits the TM30 and puts "yesterday" as his arrival date at her house. To avoid any questions she goes alone to the TM30 counter.

She will get the TM30 receipt without having to pay any fine and your friend can use it for the extension.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Thank you for your detailed answer. He had an Elite visa like me and I'm fairly confident that his last entry in Thailand was under Elite. Does that mean his Covid extension would be made at CW? Then that means going to MTT for TM30 and 90 days report and then following at CW for his extension. 

He will have 2 photocopies of each page of his passport, 10 photos and polite attire, he is a bit of an overachiever ????

Glad I asked how he entered Thailand. 

Having entered with PE then would be applying for covid extension at CW. 

As for TM30, as I mentioned previously, I would keep it simple and obtain one by staying (paying) a night in a Bangkok hotel that confirms that they will file Tm30.

For annual extensions CW has recently been assisting by allowing 90 day reports done at same visit.

Not too sure what CW are requiring however your friend previously on a PE would need to submit 90 day report. 

Best he have required docs with him.

At CW there is photocopy stall lower level where the banks are and can assist.

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The GF just submits the TM30 and puts "yesterday" as his arrival date at her house. To avoid any questions she goes alone to the TM30 counter.

She will get the TM30 receipt without having to pay any fine and your friend can use it for the extension.

That sounds like a neat trick. Thank you for that.

I somehow lost my TM30 awhile back.

So to cover my tracks I reported it to the police.

It took about 15 minutes and was free.

Now keep this lost report and a photocopy with my paperwork just in case.

Used it for my last 90 day report.

Did not have to use it for my last covid 60 day extension. two weeks ago at CW.

Edited by kidneyw
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Glad I asked how he entered Thailand. 

Having entered with PE then would be applying for covid extension at CW. 

As for TM30, as I mentioned previously, I would keep it simple and obtain one by staying a night in a Bangkok hotel that confirms that they will file Tm30.

For annual extensions CW has recently been assisting by allowing 90 day reports done at same visit.

Not too sure what CW are requiring however your friend previously on a PE would need to submit 90 day report. 

Best he have required docs with him.

At CW there is photocopy stall lower level where the banks are and can assist.

Well, thank you so much for thinking about the finer details for me! Will relay all info and will suggest him to spend a night in a hotel that can do TM30 for him then. He will have all the documents required. His 90 day report is up to date, it just turns out to be expiring around the same date so he was hoping he could do it all at once.

1 minute ago, kidneyw said:

I somehow lost my TM30 awhile back.

So to cover my tracks I reported it to the police.

It took about 15 minutes and was free.

Now keep this lost report and a photocopy with my paperwork just in case.

Used it for my last 90 day report.

Did not have to use it for my last covid 60 day extension. two weeks ago at CW.

Thank you for that, the thing is he never did a TM30 so I'm not sure it would fly for him at police station.

1 minute ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Well, thank you so much for thinking about the finer details for me! Will relay all info and will suggest him to spend a night in a hotel that can do TM30 for him then. He will have all the documents required. His 90 day report is up to date, it just turns out to be expiring around the same date so he was hoping he could do it all at once.

When does his current extension end? 

I'm not to interested in 90 report that's a side issue and as I mentioned CW has been doing that at same time if due. If he has current receipt then they might do it on the spot.

On side note I was at CW couple weeks back for annual extension.

The io noticed my report was due (overdue by 3 days). She noticed that from my previous 90 receipt.

Started typing stuff into computer looking at my 90 receipt. (Nothing to do with annual extension).

I had to pull her up and tell her that I had already mailed new report.

She stopped. Long story. Very switched on at CW. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When does his current extension end? 

I'm not to interested in 90 report that's a side issue and as I mentioned CW has been doing that at same time if due. If he has current receipt then they might do it on the spot.

On side note I was at CW couple weeks back for annual extension.

The io noticed my report was due (overdue by 3 days). She noticed that from my previous 90 receipt.

Started typing stuff into computer looking at my 90 receipt. (Nothing to do with annual extension).

I had to pull her up and tell her that I had already mailed new report.

She stopped. Long story. Very switched on at CW. 

His extension ends a few days before the end of November, not sure the exact date. It is a few days after the last day of possible Covid extension. So, should be around 27-28-29 of November.

2 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

His extension ends a few days before the end of November, not sure the exact date. It is a few days after the last day of possible Covid extension. So, should be around 27-28-29 of November.

He should go asap.

Immigration will be crowded just prior to Nov 27.

His extension will start day of expiry of current extension, even if he applied last week.

Go now.

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He should go asap.

Immigration will be crowded just prior to Nov 27.

His extension will start day of expiry of current extension, even if he applied last week.

Go now.

Thank you, his plan is indeed to go Wednesday. I told him he could have done it earlier to avoid long queues, you are right.

Will report back once the whole process is done, hopefully without hurdles.

Thank you very much for taking the time, you guys are exceptional as always!

• Like 1

This is a report from a friend who went to CW recently to do this

TM30 is an absolute necessity. He was turned away by the person who gives out queue tickets initially without having it.

It is however very easy to do. A landlord can sort it out in about an hour. Otherwise, ask a hotel to provide it, if they're not staying in long term accomodation 

Having had an agent do a previous report can cause issues. My friend used an agent, who did the extension at another, non CW office. Because this was done via agent, without his presence, his photo wasn't on file.

So, for CW there's a bit of double jeopardy. If you've used an agent for another extension, without attending immigration - they won't deal with you.

On top of this, apparently CW will reject any Covid extension if you have another immigration offices' stamp in your passport. (No idea why) This may only be an issue for longstayers, but not tourists.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, mankindmatt5 said:

On top of this, apparently CW will reject any Covid extension if you have another immigration offices' stamp in your passport. (No idea why) This may only be an issue for longstayers, but not tourists.

Would love to see confirmation or otherwise of this statement.

This is according to who? The friend? 

And this bit.....

"This may only be an issue for longstayers, but not tourists"

Where did that come from? 

Edited by DrJack54

CW does not do covid extensions if you have a previous extension from another province. This I was told by my visa agent and also I went to CW today and they told me to contact my agent or the immigration office where I did the last extension. MTT is only for tourist visas, so I wouldn't know how they handle extensions from other provinces. 

Edited by zugzug123
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Would love to see confirmation or otherwise of this statement.

This is according to who? The friend? 

And this bit.....

"This may only be an issue for longstayers, but not tourists"

Where did that come from? 

Friend's report eventually came from another agent, their exact wording was that CW don't do Covid extensions if you have a Covid extension in your passport from a different province.

The other part is more speculative, also that perhaps tourists on Covid extensions deal with MTT not CW. In fairness, it makes perfect sense for a tourist to have stamps from the various provinces they ought to be travelling around while being a tourist on a trip. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zugzug123 said:

CW does not do covid extensions if you have a previous extension from another province

1 hour ago, mankindmatt5 said:

On top of this, apparently CW will reject any Covid extension if you have another immigration offices' stamp in your passport.

That's not correct. It could of course be that there is one IO who is trolling people, but definitely not a general procedure.

All my previous stamps (including a covid extension) since 1.5 years were from Chiang Mai immigration, a few weeks ago I was in Bangkok for a few days and applied for a covid extension while there (at CW), was no problem (I had the TM30 from my hotel).

Edited by jackdd

On a related topic, I used to read that applying for a TM30 could be done at the police station. Is that correct? Would it be possible for my friend and his gf to go to their local police station and do it tomorrow before they go Wednesday to immigration? Would the officers even know about the procedure? Thank you

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Ok, good to get that out of the way and not waste a trip there. Thank you!

Nup. Stop nonsense. The idea that you can do tm30 at police station is a wind up. 

Your OP  "One of my friends...."

Is lame. 

Sufficient advice given already. 

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nup. Stop nonsense. The idea that you can do tm30 at police station is a wind up. 

Your OP  "One of my friends...."

Is lame. 

Sufficient advice given already. 

Sorry if I annoyed you somehow, sometimes I ask what you would consider stupid questions but that's also the point of the forum. I'm still learning about immigration rules and I'm glad so many of you are eager to share information and correct "nonsense" questions.

Since I'm on this forum almost everyday, I get more knowledge and more of my friends keep asking for advices. That's why I like to run things by you all sometimes as I'm still clearly limited.

Anyway, he has enough information and I thank all of you again for the guidance.

• Like 2

Ok, so my friend went to immigration today. He stopped at CW first to make sure he could do the extension before going for his TM30 at MTT.

They told him that he needed the TM30 indeed because his last Covid extension was made in another province and he needed to be registered in Bkk.

But they then checked his last visa, which like me he did a volunteer visa after his Elite expired. Since the volunteer was made in another province as well, they turned him away saying that they can't do the Covid extension at CW. They suggested to contact his visa agent.

Bottom line, he will bite the bullet as I suggested him and go back to his agent tomorrow.

Hope this report will help some in similar situations.