Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

I'm waiting for my new 5 year licence now. I got here at just after 8am with all the right paperwork, already copied (passport ID & visa pages, work permit ID & address page, old 5-year licence which had expired 10 days earlier). No application form to complete, just wrote my name on the form I was given.

Short queue to get my documents checked and copies signed, then given a coloured queue number (purple for renewing a 5-year car licence).

Sat around for about 40 minutes watching a looped video about the physical tests, then called in to watch the driving standards video. Very mawkish and very Thai. Would be nice to think it's effective. Good English subtitles. But it is long - about 45 minutes.

We got taken out before it had finished and there was a 20 minute wait, standing room only, for the tests.

The tests were conducted very publicly and they have a strange idea of the colour yellow, but I passed and was out in 10 minutes.

I'm now #153 in the queue to be photographed and pay (605 baht)

. They're on #113 so I reckon I'll be here at least 30 minutes

So all in all fairly painless but I'll be glad when they start issuing licences for life.

When u change 1 year temp to 5 years one are there any tests?

Is it that computer test? QA

Or just color and reaction test?

What doc I need on ED visa.

When I changed my 1 year to 5 year there were no tests required but that was over 5 years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I am ready to be shot down in flames for this question. I live and work in HK, my wife lived here for 16 years with me but now lives at our house in

Pattaya and I visit whenever work allows. We have a car and I have an International Driving Permit, can I get a Thai Driving Licence? Preferably for the longest period possible.

ok, I am ready to be shot down in flames for this question. I live and work in HK, my wife lived here for 16 years with me but now lives at our house in

Pattaya and I visit whenever work allows. We have a car and I have an International Driving Permit, can I get a Thai Driving Licence? Preferably for the longest period possible.

I got my very first Thai Car Driving License valid one year on the basis of my Belgian International Driving License.

That was many years ago but I don't think they have changed the rules.

post-41550-0-53019900-1411118374_thumb.j

Tuesday I went to renew my two five-year driving licenses (car and motocy) at the Banglamung office.

I was there early. Got Queue nr 104 at 0820 and was out with my two licenses by 10 AM.

Painless like told above by the few BM who have been there recently.

One thing not mentioned yet on this thread is that you should dress smart casual.

No shorts or tank tops.

Click on the picture to make it bigger

Edited by jayceenik

I got my very first Thai Car Driving License valid one year on the basis of my Belgian International Driving License.

That was many years ago but I don't think they have changed the rules.

Yes you can - You have to start with a 1 year anyway but after that you will still only be able to renew to a new one year if you are visiting on Visa Waiver or short term Tourist Visa. You need a long stay visa of some description to move to the 5 year.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDLT Dress Code.jpg

Tuesday I went to renew my two five-year driving licenses (car and motocy) at the Banglamung office.

I was there early. Got Queue nr 104 at 0820 and was out with my two licenses by 10 AM.

Painless like told above by the few BM who have been there recently.

One thing not mentioned yet on this thread is that you should dress smart casual.

No shorts or tank tops.

Click on the picture to make it bigger

Probably not worth risking but if you have what used to be called "tailored shorts" and the rest of you is presentable then should not be an issue - the sign was there when I last went wearing shorts but no one said anything to me.

DLT dress code.

Actually I read on a forum some time ago that an Australian who wanted to get a Driving License on the basis of his Australian/International license was refused service at a Dpt of Land Transport office (I don't remember where) because he was in shorts. He was with his TGF and the official made quite clear to her that he was not dressed properly and to come back "politely" dressed.

At the time I made a note to put my long pants on at my next renewal application.

And that's the way I went to the DLT this time !!

Went to DLT in Chiang Rai province and was able to renew my 5-yr license using my yellowbook, along with the stated photocopies of my key pages from my passport. The office took my photo and digitally printed it onto a plastic ID card with a magnetic stripe along the back... all very professionally done. I did need to take a physical test for seeing colors (red/ amber / green) and a test for reflex speed in applying brakes. My wife and step-daughter both came along, which was helpful in completing the forms since I neither read nor write Thai.

Sorry Pattaya, there may be a rational reason demanding paperwork from immigration. It could be that some foreigners do not update the yellowbooks upon change of address. Some might even acquire a second book. If long term residents were required to simply be listed in the blue-books for where-ever they live, then that problem would be lessened. Ex-pats are maybe too mobile for that solution. Maybe having ex-pats have a yellowbook, but shifting the emphasis from one book per building to one book to record each seceding long-term residence for the ex-pat. (???)

Not likely anyone will heed any of our ideas. Merely reporting back as I said I would.wai.gif

My guess is that the Pattaya DLT will not accept the "yellow book" because they are facilitating Jomtien Immigration's un-authorized residency certificate selling scheme

Seems pretty outrageous when one agency of the government will not accept an absolutely legal document issued by another agency of the government for proof of residency. Especially when the requirements for the yellow book are much more stringent than required for the residency certificate issued by Pattaya Immigration which only requires something as simple as a utility bill for proof

I think you are right - I posted earlier in the thread they refused my Yellow Book and I went to Jomtien Immigration for the residency certificate - and absurdly used my Yellow Book as proof of residence to get it. 300 Baht march out.

When I was renewing 5 year license I went to Jomtien for residence paper and used expiring 5 year license as proof of residence.

And it was all above board. Not moved for almost 30 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Can all this be done in the afternoon?

I only read posts about guys walking in at 8.20am.

Can this be done lets say at 13.00pm when their lunch break is over?

will reply to my own post as it can be done.

Went in today at 14.25pm with all documents required were Copies of expired drivers license, Copy of passport and Visa (I have a single entry Non O) Certificate of residence and paper from the doctor.

I was out around 15.10pm with a new 5 year drivers license.

Just had to do the color test with the colored balls on the board and the peripheral test with the green and red light left and right that was it.

• 2 weeks later...

And one more thing, I've ended up with a 6-year licence as the expiry date is on my birthday 2020. I believe this might be because my old licence had already expired when I renewed it (10 days). A bonus!

A small point, but what happens if you let your licence expire to get the extra year and are stopped by police on your way to the Land Transport Office?

I am wondering if one needs a medical certificate and proof of residence if one has a recently issued work permit. In order to get a work permit you need a submit a medical certificate and ones residence is clearly shown on the work permit.

You do not need proof of residence or med cert if you have a work permit. I do believe that recently people have been asked to show a tax number with WP.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

craigt3365

without having to go through the hole thread to find the answer i thought i would just ask you ,

the mrs has to renew her license next week , what exactly does a thai have to take with them , she has a 5 year expired thai license issued in udon thani,

we are now in Pattaya, my thinking is medical cert and Thai ID card and copies , old license and copies , then just do the colour and depth perception test as i did last week as a farang to renew my 1 year license.

thanks in advance if you answer , just that a see your other half done the same thing at the begining of the thread and i am thinking she is thai...

thanks fatficker....

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone please confirm that if I renew my 5 year license after my birthday/expiry, I will receive nearly 6 years until next renewal? Thank you.

Yes

I can also confirm this is absolutely correct smile.png

• Like 1

Could anyone please confirm that if I renew my 5 year license after my birthday/expiry, I will receive nearly 6 years until next renewal? Thank you.

Yes

Yes, always worth waiting until after expiry. But don't leave it more than 6 months or you have to do a full re-test.

Good that I saw this thread pop up in the new content page, as it reminded me that my license expired 3 days ago, which had totally slipped my mind.

I started to worry right away that I would have to restart the whole thing again because the expiry date passed already.

Am I glad that I see the above posts, explaining that I actually have an advantage instead of a disadvantage.

Yes

Yes, always worth waiting until after expiry. But don't leave it more than 6 months or you have to do a full re-test.

Would be interesting to hear where you got that information. I know some LTOs diverge from the published rules of the DLT, but that’s an extreme diversion.

If you renew more than 1 year late, you will have to retake the written test. If renewing more than 3 years late you will also have to retake the practical test. Source.

Yes

Would be interesting to hear where you got that information. I know some LTOs diverge from the published rules of the DLT, but that’s an extreme diversion.

If you renew more than 1 year late, you will have to retake the written test. If renewing more than 3 years late you will also have to retake the practical test. Source.

I stand corrected. You have a year to renew after expiry then, not 6 months.

What time does the afternoon session of the examinations commence?

Is there any advantage to going in the morning (I only hear people rushing to be in the morning queue)?

Thank you.

I too prefer showing up in the afternoon. They open at 1 pm again after the lunch break.

However if not renewing, but applying for a new license, I’m almost certain you will have to be there in the morning.

It’s been reported to be quite crowded these days.

Did the renewal yesterday, and since my license had expired a few days already, I got till December 2020 for my next renewal.

Had to watch the video ( wow), and it all happens in Thailand with a Thai lady driver and Thai instructor.

Then the last 10 minutes or so a video is shown with nothing but horrible accidents by drunken drivers.

Surprisingly all the accidents in the movie are by foreign drivers.

Maybe they had a shortage of accidents in Thailand to compile the video?

Edited by Anthony5