Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

Is the Pattaya office still refusing to accept yellow house book as proof of residence?

No, but they want to see your wife's blue house book too. I actually drove out there Monday just before closing time and asked, yellow and blue book are okay.

Today I also renewed both my 5 years licenses.

All I bought was:

1: Both old 5 years licenses.

2: Yellow and blue house books

3: Passport.

Medical certificate not necessary.

I also arrived early, so was there about 0810 and people was queuing already as also mentioned from another poster today.

I was done app 1130 with 2 pcs new shinny 5 years licenses, thankfully as I can find better things to do.

At least the AC was okay, 5 years ago, all the AC was stopped inside the building and it was really hot in there.

You will also have to bring the original books, along with the copies, as if they consider you make a bogus blue and yellow book.

Happened to me as I had only the copies, and had to go home to get the originals.

No, but they want to see your wife's blue house book too.

You can have a Yellow Book without being married. So what?

Luckily a Thai wife is not (yet) mandatory to stay in Thailand rolleyes.gif

Well if you don't have a blue house book maybe they want a resident certificate?

No, I am sure many unmarried men are happy here in Pattayawink.png

Yes off-course you have to bring all the original paper work, same as immigration.

I just use the copy shops out there, they know exactly what to copy or not.

Edited by guzzi850m2

• 1 month later...

Does anybody have recent experience of whether Chonburi will still accept a photocopy of Residence Certificate plus original for both car and bike licences?

Sorry not very recent, 9 months ago, but not heard that it has changed - presume you mean the centre at Regents, IE Pattaya.

My 5 year licence is up in July . But I think I will renew in August,

If I don't get this yellow book, I need a resident cert, do I get this from chaeng watttana ?

My visa status is NON O ,

Once I have the resident cert

Old 5 year licence

Passport

Am I good to go, and also go where in Bangkok,?

Would that be at chaeng watttana too .

Thanks

I have two questions.

1. If i'am out of the country when my 5 year license expires, when i return to renew it is the process the same or will they make me start with another one year license?

2. Is it possible to get a five year license renewed at another location then the one which originally issued the first license?

Thanks in advance for you comments and assistance.

Just back from the Pattaya/Chonburi Transport Office. I got 2 Residence Certificates from Immigration but photocopied one and submitted 2 applications 1 for car and 1 for motorbike. I put the photocopied Res Cert with the documentation for the bike. At the front desk the clerk checked my paperwork and just passed it all OK. So categorically I can say that there is no necessity to get 2 Res Certs. That is unless they decide differently tomorrow!!! smile.png.

Why take a chance and have to come back and do it all over again because you believe what one person reported at TV who happened to get "lucky" at the front desk

The rules are one residence certificate per license so that is what I would follow since that sure is a lot simpler and more convenient than making two trips if you get caught out

Just back from the Pattaya/Chonburi Transport Office. I got 2 Residence Certificates from Immigration but photocopied one and submitted 2 applications 1 for car and 1 for motorbike. I put the photocopied Res Cert with the documentation for the bike. At the front desk the clerk checked my paperwork and just passed it all OK. So categorically I can say that there is no necessity to get 2 Res Certs. That is unless they decide differently tomorrow!!! smile.png.

Why take a chance and have to come back and do it all over again because you believe what one person reported at TV who happened to get "lucky" at the front desk

The rules are one residence certificate per license so that is what I would follow since that sure is a lot simpler and more convenient than making two trips if you get caught out

Show me the rules, Langsuan Man. If you had shown me the "rules" when I posed the question in the first place, I would have followed them. It's easy to be wise after the event. Nevertheless, I agree with you about not taking a chance, and that is what I personally did, but sometimes the "rules" set by Immigration, on saying that one original is required for each licence, are for their own enrichment only, and sometimes it irks. Anyway, I did what I said I would and reported the result to the forum for others to digest as they may.

PATTAYA:

1. Take your assport and a signed copy .

2. A Residence Certificate signed by Immigration not more than 30 days old (2 if you are also applying for a motorcycle license). For a Residence Certificate you have to have proof of where you live and get your mail. They prefer a document from an official source with your name and address on it. Things such as a telephone bill, electric bill, water bill, bank letter addressed to your residence or a lease agreement seem to be satisfactory. Ownership papers alone do not meet this test - you could own a condo but rent it to someone else. But if you can show you receive your mail there they will probably accept it. They will want a signed copy of whatever proof of residence you offer. Immigration will also want photos.

3. Pictures are no longer required at the Drivers License Office as of May 30, 2008. The Driving License office will take the pictures. Formerly, two pictures (4 if applying for both licenses) were required.

4. A Non-immigrant visa valid for 60 days or longer, or a valid work permit (if you have one). A Tourist Visa is not acceptable.

5. A health certificate obtained within the last 30 days before the application date (2 if also applying for a motorcycle license). Doctor Sawaddipong Clinic on the two way portion of second road in South Pattaya near Baiyoke Hotel does the medical. Cost is 80 Baht and service was quick. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and Pattaya International Hospital, Dr. Oliver, and other private physicans will do it for up to 250 baht.

6. A copy of your currently valid International Driving License (if you have one) – get one if you can

7. A copy of your driving license from your country. If it is not in English, it must be translated into Thai r English, and approved by your Embassy.

The fee for the vehicle Drivers License is 205 baht.

The fee for a motorcycle Drivers License is 155 baht.

source:http://www.asiatradingonline.com/regchonburi.htm

Edited by Langsuan Man

Show me the rules, Langsuan Man. If you had shown me the "rules" when I posed the question in the first place, I would have followed them. It's easy to be wise after the event. Nevertheless, I agree with you about not taking a chance, and that is what I personally did, but sometimes the "rules" set by Immigration, on saying that one original is required for each licence, are for their own enrichment only, and sometimes it irks. Anyway, I did what I said I would and reported the result to the forum for others to digest as they may.

PATTAYA:

1. Take your assport and a signed copy .

2. A Residence Certificate signed by Immigration not more than 30 days old (2 if you are also applying for a motorcycle license). For a Residence Certificate you have to have proof of where you live and get your mail. They prefer a document from an official source with your name and address on it. Things such as a telephone bill, electric bill, water bill, bank letter addressed to your residence or a lease agreement seem to be satisfactory. Ownership papers alone do not meet this test - you could own a condo but rent it to someone else. But if you can show you receive your mail there they will probably accept it. They will want a signed copy of whatever proof of residence you offer. Immigration will also want photos.

3. Pictures are no longer required at the Drivers License Office as of May 30, 2008. The Driving License office will take the pictures. Formerly, two pictures (4 if applying for both licenses) were required.

4. A Non-immigrant visa valid for 60 days or longer, or a valid work permit (if you have one). A Tourist Visa is not acceptable.

5. A health certificate obtained within the last 30 days before the application date (2 if also applying for a motorcycle license). Doctor Sawaddipong Clinic on the two way portion of second road in South Pattaya near Baiyoke Hotel does the medical. Cost is 80 Baht and service was quick. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and Pattaya International Hospital, Dr. Oliver, and other private physicans will do it for up to 250 baht.

6. A copy of your currently valid International Driving License (if you have one) – get one if you can

7. A copy of your driving license from your country. If it is not in English, it must be translated into Thai r English, and approved by your Embassy.

The fee for the vehicle Drivers License is 205 baht.

The fee for a motorcycle Drivers License is 155 baht.

source:http://www.asiatradingonline.com/regchonburi.htm

A useful checklist but I question when it was last properly updated - it also does not distinguish between 1 and 5 year licences.

More than one TVer and other posters on other forums have reported that you can get away with one original and one copy at Pattaya and this has been the case for a number of years. So I don't think it is a case of people "getting lucky" as you put it but at the end of the day you take a small risk. Up to the individual as always thumbsup.gif

Also Point 4 is, or certainly was, blatantly wrong as there have been many instance reported of people obtaining 1 year licences on Visa Waiver stamps - I had 3 or 4 of them in a row smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it has been posted before, but this is the official DLT website which may be of interest.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471:renew&Itemid=88

As to be expected most of the info is in Thai, but some info is in English.

Thanks for that, it answered my question as to how long I had to renew my 5 year license (without re-taking tests) without having to wade through the whole thread.

wai2.gif

• Like 1

Some of the info on that Asia Trading Post website about Driver's Licenses in Thailand is just plain wrong. One example is when he talks about International License's (which don't exist).

The author seems to have put a lot of effort into getting info but is no more to be trusted than any poster here.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the info on that Asia Trading Post website about Driver's Licenses in Thailand is just plain wrong. One example is when he talks about International License's (which don't exist).

The author seems to have put a lot of effort into getting info but is no more to be trusted than any poster here.

Thai international driver licenses DOES exist. Actually it is a international driver permit, what's in a word, and is issued in addition to a 5 year Thai driver license.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

Driving outside Thailand

On any condition, temporary driving licence is not valid outside the Kingdom of Thailand and International Driving Permit is not issued to Temporary driver's licence holder.

• ASEAN member states: Thai driver's licence is valid without International Driving Permit.
  • Rest of the World: International Driving Permit may or may not be required along with a valid Thai driver's licence. Due the new licenses with English, the International Driving Permit is not required in English speaking countries.

Thai international driver licenses DOES exist. Actually it is a international driver permit, what's in a word, and is issued in addition to a 5 year Thai driver license.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

Driving outside Thailand

On any condition, temporary driving licence is not valid outside the Kingdom of Thailand and International Driving Permit is not issued to Temporary driver's licence holder.

• ASEAN member states: Thai driver's licence is valid without International Driving Permit.
  • Rest of the World: International Driving Permit may or may not be required along with a valid Thai driver's licence. Due the new licenses with English, the International Driving Permit is not required in English speaking countries.

"Thai international driver licenses DOES exist. Actually it is a international driver permit, what's in a word,....." - pot and kettle spring to mind gigglem.gif

My licences expire early April so I was thinking of getting it done next week. Would be really nice if your wife can get the information

Might I suggest you go a few days or even weeks after it expires. You will get nearly 6 years validity this way. I speak this from personal experience. They always set you license to expire on your birthday rather than x number of years from the date of issue.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

My 5 year license expires 6 Jan 2016.

I am going to be away from Thailand from 19 Sept 2015, until 16 April 2016.

What to do nah? Can I renew it 4 months early? Can I renew it 4 months late? Any advice appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

My 5years exp Sept 2015 but can I go Aug 2015 which suits me better

If August suits you better, then yes you can renew it then.

A 5 year license can be renewed 90 days early, or up to one year late without any additional tests.

However if you do renew after expiration, you will get almost 6 years validity instead of 5. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

There are conflicting posts here about whether you need a medical cert. or not!

Could someone who has renewed their 5 year licence recently please tell me if I need a medical certificate?

I already have a 5 year licence for car which expired on the 12th.

I want to renew this for a new 5 year licence.

Thanks in anticipation!

Need to renew in October .

Checklist.

Passport

Non O visa

And proof of residence

The proof of residence would this be going to kaet with head person named on table bhan

And adding me or asking for a letter confirming?

Last time in isssan I went to immigration office and got a letter there.

Thanks

arrived 0845 today and took 3 hours. Busy so only clour eye test administered and 2 other tests skipped.

No medical cert. needed (she handed mine back); Immigration letter for proof of residence; original passport of course, copy and signed relevant passport pages, original driving license and signed copy. B405 for 5 year motor cycle renewal

QUESTION - many say that you can renew up to one year after expiry date but maybe should consider what happens if you are stopped by police with an expired license?

• Like 1

I'm back in October.

And need to renew my 5 year licence.

Firstly I need a residence certificate.

Can I take the owner of house to immigration to vouch for me or is it more than that ?

Reason being I stay at my friends house and don't have a rental agreement.

Once I have this should be pretty straight forward

THANKS

worth a try maybe ................. get your UK (or wherever) bank for some reason to write to you at your friend's address. Send them a letter (from Thailand maybe smile.png ) first which will need a reply. Such letters are acceptable to Immigration I believe

worth a try maybe ................. get your UK (or wherever) bank for some reason to write to you at your friend's address. Send them a letter (from Thailand maybe smile.png ) first which will need a reply. Such letters are acceptable to Immigration I believe

So I need a letter or something with my name on it ?

Last time I went with ex wife and showed tabien bahn.

Although I was in that because father of kids

• 3 weeks later...