Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

I was there the day before and forgot to get the residency cert. The lady told my wife I needed 2. Wifey complained a bit, but the clerk said one was needed for each license.

As you say, you never know. But having to go all the way back to Jomtien and back would probably cost you 200B in gas in case it doesn't work. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Can you post your experience here?

Thanks!

renewed yesterday.

used one original and one copy of res cert and medical, worked without problems.

Please be advised, you can NOT apply for a license more than 3 MONTHS PRIOR to expiration. I went today (October 8) and my birthday is in January. I was not allowed to proceed because the gestapo at the desk checking papers said I was too early before my birthday.

you win the godwin award.

• 1 month later...

Man I need some help on this because when I went for my 5 year after my 1 year expired they only ask me for the originals of my residence and I did not have to go to immigration, I did need two copies of a medical and 2 copies of my passport. I for bike and 1 for my car. I took two copies of every thing, but I did not go to immigration, it seems that has changed now and it was also 5 years ago.. HELP?

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

For those that renew using a work permit please note that they insist on your tax ID - will start with 009 xxxxxxx, does not state this on the website but I renewed mine yesterday and was going nowhere without a tax ID. As an aside they did not want my medical certificate either!!

For those that renew using a work permit please note that they insist on your tax ID - will start with 009 xxxxxxx, does not state this on the website but I renewed mine yesterday and was going nowhere without a tax ID. As an aside they did not want my medical certificate either!!

This must be a new one about the tax ID. I renewed my 5 year licenses a couple of years ago and this wasn't required. I have no idea what my tax ID is! Medical not required with a WP.

Seriously????? Another driving licence thread crazy.gif

Hmm,if I had read many licence threads before,I would not care to read this one as well.. Since I have not,I found it informative,thanks!

The thing about forums is that although many subjects appear to get done to death, there are always those who need up to date information and who welcome a rehash of an old subject. My licences run out in 2015 and I certainly don't want to have to search through 5 year old threads for out of date information when the time comes. OP, well done and keep up the good work.

I agree totally! My fiver expires next month. A few Q,s please

I got my first fiver in bkk, but now have a condo in ptya. Can I renew in ptya or have to go back to bkk office?

Where do you do the renewal in ptya?

Where do you get a residence certificate in ptya, and what do you need to take to do so?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Hmm,if I had read many licence threads before,I would not care to read this one as well.. Since I have not,I found it informative,thanks!

The thing about forums is that although many subjects appear to get done to death, there are always those who need up to date information and who welcome a rehash of an old subject. My licences run out in 2015 and I certainly don't want to have to search through 5 year old threads for out of date information when the time comes. OP, well done and keep up the good work.

I got my first fiver in bkk, but now have a condo in ptya. Can I renew in ptya or have to go back to bkk office?

Where do you get a residence certificate in ptya, and what do you need to take to do so?

Yes, you can renew in Pattaya.

You renew at the LTO, map is linked in this post.

Residence certificate, at immigration, Jomtien soi 5, see post #61 above for requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to get my first 5 year Driver's license in January 2014. I currently have a 1 year temporary Thai driver's license which expires in February 2014 and a retirement visa with an extension of stay to April 2014. Will I qualify for the 5 year license or will I only get another 1 year license? What is the earliest that I can get my new license? My birthday is in April.

Yes, you do qualify for the 5 year license. Requirement is that you're on a long term permission to stay in Thailand at the time of application.

As for early application, you can apply up to 60 days in advance when renewing a 1 to 5 year license, (and as rmicheald mentions above, 90 days when renewing a 5 to 5 year license).

My 5 year licence expired last month, my 1 year extension of stay based on retirement expired in October, i am returning on a 60 day tourist visa, and due to the Bangkok demonstrations dont really want to go to my embassy for a pension confirmation letter, can I renew my 5 year drivers licence while I am on a 60 day tourist visa, and get another 5 years, or will I need to get another 1 year extension of stay first?

Tourist visa will get you a one year licence , where will you be staying? as you mention proof of income letter from embassy I presume you are considering applying for retirement extension? If you are in Pattaya Key Visa do the embassy trip for you for 300 baht plus the embassy fees (U.K. Embassy) then after getting your extension you could apply for the five year licence, however you need to get everything in sequence before applying. I.e. Proof of income letter, then extension then licence application.

Residence certificate, at immigration, Jomtien soi 5, see post #61 above for requirements.

MTH

Cheers thx for the reply ...time is here , plan is to go Monday

Just a quick post on my recent experience in applying for both a car and motorcycle one year licence yesterday at the Pattaya DL office.

Collected my residence certificate (1no) and medical form (2no) the previous day and arrived at the DL office around 8.10. There were already about 40 ahead of me in the queue. The doors opened at about 8.20 and we were split into 2 queues - Thai / Others. Thais entered 1st, then the 'others' queue. Each were given a numbered tag - mine was 117 (Thais start with a 5).

We then waited on the ground floor until the number came up, displayed on an electronic board by the stairs,. You then go to the 1st floor where your docs (I had 2no sets as I was applying for Car + motorcycle) are checked over - hence reason for having a different number sequence for Thais / Others. Only having a copy (colour) of my Residency Cert, for my 2nd set) was not commented upon by the 'checker'.

After the checking - I had to go out to the copy office over the road as I needed a further page of my IDP copied -you then receive a numbered tag and told to wait.

Eventually your section is called to the test area - about 20no applicants are called forward. Before entering the test area, the guy aims a pointer at a wall chart with coloured circles of different sizes. You are then expected to shout out the colours as he points. Great, except that some of the circle have been pointed at so may times that most of the colour has been erased!

Next test, with everyone now squeezed into the small test area, was the brake test - right foot on a pedal until the green light changes to red, then you need to press the stop pedal with the same foot.

Final test was a depth check. A moving pole (starts when you press a green button on a handheld box) edging forward to a static pole. You then lift your finger from the button when you reckon the poles are adjacent.

As everyone passed all the tests - albeit some needed more that one try on the braking test - it all appears geared up to pass. There was a Training Room off the main office area with a TV on, we weren't directed to watch any safety video, but I did see others go in from other groups.

We then waited again for our paperwork (including passports) to be returned to us. The renewal applicants appeared to get theirs before the rest. Once you receive your docs back you then go to the payment desk and pay the fees (Car - Bt205 / Motorcycle Bt155). You the receive another number, Then you wait and wait and wait! This is the queue for the photo and the issuance of the licence. Once the photo is taken, the licence card only takes a minute or two to be processed.

That was my experience - no doubt others will experience variations on the above.

Not too bad anyway and happy now with the 2 licences in my possession - I had been driving on IDP's (based on a UK licence) previously.

5 year renewal - Chonburi.

Doc required there

Tax number

Workpermit - Copy

Passport - Copies of 4 pages - Original visa, current vide, 90 and ID page

Old licence

I was not asked for proof of residence

(you will need original PP and WP as well as copies).

various vision tests

Sit in room watching video of really poor instructions on how to drive and a collage of accidents from around the world

After movie - sit & wait for name to be called.

Photo is taken

licence appears shortly after this.

I would guess the whole thing took about 1.5 hours.

Just a quick post on my recent experience in applying for both a car and motorcycle one year licence yesterday at the Pattaya DL office.

Collected my residence certificate (1no) and medical form (2no) the previous day and arrived at the DL office around 8.10. There were already about 40 ahead of me in the queue. The doors opened at about 8.20 and we were split into 2 queues - Thai / Others. Thais entered 1st, then the 'others' queue. Each were given a numbered tag - mine was 117 (Thais start with a 5).

We then waited on the ground floor until the number came up, displayed on an electronic board by the stairs,. You then go to the 1st floor where your docs (I had 2no sets as I was applying for Car + motorcycle) are checked over - hence reason for having a different number sequence for Thais / Others. Only having a copy (colour) of my Residency Cert, for my 2nd set) was not commented upon by the 'checker'.

After the checking - I had to go out to the copy office over the road as I needed a further page of my IDP copied -you then receive a numbered tag and told to wait.

Eventually your section is called to the test area - about 20no applicants are called forward. Before entering the test area, the guy aims a pointer at a wall chart with coloured circles of different sizes. You are then expected to shout out the colours as he points. Great, except that some of the circle have been pointed at so may times that most of the colour has been erased!

Next test, with everyone now squeezed into the small test area, was the brake test - right foot on a pedal until the green light changes to red, then you need to press the stop pedal with the same foot.

Final test was a depth check. A moving pole (starts when you press a green button on a handheld box) edging forward to a static pole. You then lift your finger from the button when you reckon the poles are adjacent.

As everyone passed all the tests - albeit some needed more that one try on the braking test - it all appears geared up to pass. There was a Training Room off the main office area with a TV on, we weren't directed to watch any safety video, but I did see others go in from other groups.

We then waited again for our paperwork (including passports) to be returned to us. The renewal applicants appeared to get theirs before the rest. Once you receive your docs back you then go to the payment desk and pay the fees (Car - Bt205 / Motorcycle Bt155). You the receive another number, Then you wait and wait and wait! This is the queue for the photo and the issuance of the licence. Once the photo is taken, the licence card only takes a minute or two to be processed.

That was my experience - no doubt others will experience variations on the above.

Not too bad anyway and happy now with the 2 licences in my possession - I had been driving on IDP's (based on a UK licence) previously.

Curious as to how long it took: in at 8:20; finished at ??

MTH

Cheers thx for the reply ...time is here , plan is to go Monday

My Pleasure, hope all went well last Monday.

i will be renewing my 5 year car drivers licence, at Nakohn si Thammarat. Thanks for all the posts, which makes it easy to prepare. During my previous application, I was told by the officer that they did not need a medical cert. Some current posters say yes, others don't mention it. Is there a listing of paperwork required, posted at a government website? I will post of my experience, once I've been and done. Tia. Pat.

Edited by paddypower

i will be renewing my 5 year car drivers licence, at Nakohn si Thammarat. Thanks for all the posts, which makes it easy to prepare. During my previous application, I was told by the officer that they did not need a medical cert. Some current posters say yes, others don't mention it. Is there a listing of paperwork required, posted at a government website? I will post of my experience, once I've been and done. Tia. Pat.

No need for a medical certificate when renewing a 5 year license.

Here is a link to the required paperwork from the Department of Land Transport.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am wondering if the requirements are the same for the five-year license renewal in Chonburi if you have a license with an address from a different province. I moved to Chonburi a while back and my present Thai drivers license has my old Bangkok address and will expire soon.

I am wondering if the requirements are the same for the five-year license renewal in Chonburi if you have a license with an address from a different province. I moved to Chonburi a while back and my present Thai drivers license has my old Bangkok address and will expire soon.

Yes, the requirements are the same, makes no difference where you got your old license.

When I went the Land Transport Office today to get my 5-year license (from a 1-year temporary license) I had all the required documentation but had a problem because there's a new rule. If you are using your work permit instead of a letter of residency, you must also know your employer's tax ID number. The guy said you don't need any official type of document, you just need to know it. I guess they check it on the computer to make sure your company is paying its taxes.) so be sure to jot it down before you head off to fight the crowds and bureaucracy.

My 5 year renewals are coming up soon. Can i just check if you are applying for a new car and bike licence is one original residency certificate enough and one copy (to save 300 baht).

My 5 year renewals are coming up soon. Can i just check if you are applying for a new car and bike licence is one original residency certificate enough and one copy (to save 300 baht).

One certificate is enough, and it is free, there is no charge for a certificate of residency, you may tip them if you like, or not, if you dont , they will still renew your retirement visa (one year extension of stay).

Yes 1 original and one copy is fine.

You probably get pushed at immigration to "buy" two residence certificates if you mention your renewing both bike and car licenses, so say you're only renewing a bike license.

One certificate is enough, and it is free, there is no charge for a certificate of residency, you may tip them if you like, or not, if you dont , they will still renew your retirement visa (one year extension of stay).

Interesting, I haven’t been able to get a free residence certificate in Pattaya since immigration was located at soi 8.

What's your secret?

I know some immigration offices do issue these for free but on the flip side, some won’t issue them at all.

And yes, the tests are exactly the same for Thais and foreigners. I guess you use to be able to get your license in a variety of ways before (whistling.gif ), but not now. Seems they are cracking down on this a bit.

You dont have to do the actual driving test or multiple choice exam if you are getting a 1-year car licence issued based on sight of a valid farang licence. You do have to do the sight and reflex tests though.

I showed them an international license and got my Motorbike and Auto ( ! year ) in about an hour,my friend gave them his license from the states and it took him 2 day's, he had to take the physical driveing test's for a car and a motorbike and a written test.