Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

Renewed my 5 year licence 2 weeks ago, this is the process i went through.

1. Medical certificate 2 copies as was renewing both car and motorbike.

2. Passport and work permit.

3. Checked by officer

4. Took 3 tests eyes, braking and colour.

5. Moved to another room to watch a 45 minute video on how to be a good driver

6. Collected the pass paper outside of the door.

7, Paid the money picked up both licences.

8. Went to the international drivers permit section, as i was about to head home to my country. (needed to photos) for this.

Allow yourself a good few hours from start to finish..

Renewed my 5 year licence 2 weeks ago, this is the process i went through.

1. Medical certificate 2 copies as was renewing both car and motorbike.

2. Passport and work permit.

3. Checked by officer

4. Took 3 tests eyes, braking and colour.

5. Moved to another room to watch a 45 minute video on how to be a good driver

6. Collected the pass paper outside of the door.

7, Paid the money picked up both licences.

8. Went to the international drivers permit section, as i was about to head home to my country. (needed to photos) for this.

Allow yourself a good few hours from start to finish..

A medical certificate is not required when renewing a 5 year drivers licence.

Somewhat related question.

Can you obtain a 1 year licence with only a 30 day entry stamp in your passport?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes I believe you can get a 1 year ( temporary ) licence but to get the 5 year you'll need a long term visa/extension

Just been to renew my 5 year DL at Pattaya DLT.

They no longer accept the 'Yellow Book'

Wife asked to see Supervisor and he confirmed they will no longer accept the book.

Off to immigration to get the Residence Certificate - proof of address - yes you guessed it - The Yellow Book.

Amazing Thailandcheesy.gif

Edited by pontious
  • Like 1

Can you obtain a 1 year licence with only a 30 day entry stamp in your passport?

Yes I believe you can get a 1 year ( temporary ) licence but to get the 5 year you'll need a long term visa/extension

For the 5 year renewal you need a non imm visa then?

For the 5 year renewal you need a non imm visa then?

That is correct.

I renewed my DL yesterday at Pattaya DLT. Saw two people turned away trying to use a Yellow Book as proof of residence. Both were told to get a Certificate of Residency at Immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I renewed my DL yesterday at Pattaya DLT. Saw two people turned away trying to use a Yellow Book as proof of residence. Both were told to get a Certificate of Residency at Immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Plan ahead, a Certificate of Residency is free, they will try to get you to pay for it, but this is simply a tip for good service, they will tell you to come back the next day to pick it up, but it will not cost anything

OK after reading all of that here's my little bit if anybody's interested if not then I wont loose any sleep over it! First of all in Jomtien you will not get a free residency certificate, if you can somewhere else then go there because in Jomtien it will cost you 300 Baht, or 500 Baht for two. There is nothing further to say on that one take it or leave it!

I'm just in the door after returning from the DLT, just outside Pattaya. If anybody plans on a short visit think again. OK on the documents required I think I saw this earlier but what the hell -

Residency certificate - original.

Passport - original , with photocopies of the photo page & your entry stamp showing your date of departure.

expired driving license(s) - original, with photocopies of both sides of your expired license(s)

If you have more than one license then all must be accompanied with the above.

I also took a medical certificate just to be on the safe side, better safe than sorry but in this case you do not require it!

So that's the documents you need. Then get a no from the machine at the bottom of the stairs, and wait until your number is called, go up the stairs usually to desk 12 and hand in all of your documents. If everything is good they will issue you with a numbered red card, if not you will have to go away and get whats required (not a good idea). We waited about 90 minutes before being herded into test booth 1 for your perception eye test, very simple as long as you understand what is required as they don't explain well in any other language. At this stage your red card is collected. Next after an unspecified amount of time your name will be called and you have to watch a video on the ins and out of driving, I wouldn't normally mind but come on, after 8 years in Thailand I have yet to see any Thais obeying the rules of the road and being subject to that is just wrong. Next lady will collect you from the video room, give back your passport and then you sign for your driving license application etc. You will then be directed to the payment counter, It cost me 1060 Baht for two licenses. You will then be given a blue numbered card and told to wait an unspecified amount of time to get your photo taken and license issued ( For me that was about 2 hours)

Conclusion it is going to take time, go there with that in mind and the right attitude and it wont be so bad. In all it took me approximately 4 hours. Get your documents right the first time saves you having to go and look for the photocopy room downstairs. And I hope the next 5 years go by slowly . . . :-)

Good luck!!

Edited by ianwrd4
  • Like 1

OK after reading all of that here's my little bit if anybody's interested if not then I wont loose any sleep over it! First of all in Jomtien you will not get a free residency certificate, if you can somewhere else then go there because in Jomtien it will cost you 300 Baht, or 500 Baht for two. There is nothing further to say on that one take it or leave it!

I'm just in the door after returning from the DLT, just outside Pattaya. If anybody plans on a short visit think again. OK on the documents required I think I saw this earlier but what the hell -

Residency certificate - original.

Passport - original , with photocopies of the photo page & your entry stamp showing your date of departure.

expired driving license(s) - original, with photocopies of both sides of your expired license(s)

If you have more than one license then all must be accompanied with the above.

I also took a medical certificate just to be on the safe side, better safe than sorry but in this case you do not require it!

So that's the documents you need. Then get a no from the machine at the bottom of the stairs, and wait until your number is called, go up the stairs usually to desk 12 and hand in all of your documents. If everything is good they will issue you with a numbered red card, if not you will have to go away and get whats required (not a good idea). We waited about 90 minutes before being herded into test booth 1 for your perception eye test, very simple as long as you understand what is required as they don't explain well in any other language. At this stage your red card is collected. Next after an unspecified amount of time your name will be called and you have to watch a video on the ins and out of driving, I wouldn't normally mind but come on, after 8 years in Thailand I have yet to see any Thais obeying the rules of the road and being subject to that is just wrong. Next lady will collect you from the video room, give back your passport and then you sign for your driving license application etc. You will then be directed to the payment counter, It cost me 1060 Baht for two licenses. You will then be given a blue numbered card and told to wait an unspecified amount of time to get your photo taken and license issued ( For me that was about 2 hours)

Conclusion it is going to take time, go there with that in mind and the right attitude and it wont be so bad. In all it took me approximately 4 hours. Get your documents right the first time saves you having to go and look for the photocopy room downstairs. And I hope the next 5 years go by slowly . . . :-)

Good luck!!

A good report - I did my renewal last week . I think they use the video rooms to herd people into different sections as it is so busy. Why do people with numbers 121 and on stand right in front of the photo booth when they are on number 16!

Edited by pontious
  • Like 1

Need driver's license renewal 5 years
Has a new passport
Number different from the number that appears on driver's license
What is the procedure

Edited by dauu

I am not sure where posters get mis-information about the residency certificate. While in other parts in Thailand if it is a blue moon you get blessed by 20 monks win the lottery get bitten by a great white shark & zapped by lightning, You will never get a free residency certificate in Pattaya like this since 2004 & never saw 1 person recieve any freebies for the certificate regardless if your Shagging the head matron of immigrationor if your father in law is the head of immigration. Not gonna ever happen in Pattaya. I don't think Pattaya or BKK is that foolish to give up free tea money. You may get scammed for the 300 baht express service foor the document but never free!

Need driver's license renewal 5 years

Has a new passport

Number different from the number that appears on driver's license

What is the procedure

No difference - they will put the new passport number on the new licence.

I am not sure where posters get mis-information about the residency certificate. While in other parts in Thailand if it is a blue moon you get blessed by 20 monks win the lottery get bitten by a great white shark & zapped by lightning, You will never get a free residency certificate in Pattaya like this since 2004 & never saw 1 person recieve any freebies for the certificate regardless if your Shagging the head matron of immigrationor if your father in law is the head of immigration. Not gonna ever happen in Pattaya. I don't think Pattaya or BKK is that foolish to give up free tea money. You may get scammed for the 300 baht express service foor the document but never free!

Agreed, I queried one of his earlier posts (link), but never got a response.

Driving Licence renewed today.

Turned up at 0830 after getting required photocopies done at the shop outside

Originals and 1 signed copy (Per licence) of:

Passport Photo page

Passport Stamp page with TM6 Departure card

Old Licence both sides

Work Permit Photo Page

Work Permit Address page

(Medical Certs and passport photos not required)

Basically followed directions given by staff in Tinglish to fill in form, eye and reaction tests, about 30 mins watching video

Pay money 1060 Baht for car and bike, and get photos done, cards made.Done

All in about 3 hours. Pretty busy place this morning - New rules coming in on 1st June.

I suppose they except a work permit and not the Yellow Book because the work permit has a photo.

A bit of a pain as the main reason for me to get a Yellow Book was to avoid the 'free'cheesy.gif residence certificates from Jomtien immigration.

Edited by pontious
  • Like 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720873-residency-certificate-where-at-immigration-office/?p=7732775

Try this link, there are several other threads regarding residency certificates, ad nausem, this map guy say it well.

I went to Jomtien Immigration in February, to renew my one year extension of stay, and get one of these free certificates to renew my drivers license, they asked for 300 baht and my secret for getting a free certificate was to reply to their request for a fee as follows, politely, remind them that there is no fee, they then quit trying to steal from you and continue doing their job, the fee schedule inside the door, to your left , makes no mention of a fee for a residency certificate, because there is no fee, if you paid a fee that is your mistake, you are misinformed, I have lived here for 14 years and have gotten 20 or so of these forms, and never paid anything, I must sometimes wait for them as they do not like to give them away, but if you want to pay for a free certificate, go ahead, try asking for a receipt for the tip they call a fee, and watch the song and dance , shuffling and frowning, they will then admit there is no fee, and process you. This is not a Jomtien procedure it is the same at every immigration office inThailand, a national policy,

I have renewed my yearly extension of stay 13 times at this office, the same people, there is no animosity, no games, me not giving them a tip has not made the process any more difficult whatsoever,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720873-residency-certificate-where-at-immigration-office/?p=7732775

Try this link, there are several other threads regarding residency certificates, ad nausem, this map guy say it well.

I went to Jomtien Immigration in February, to renew my one year extension of stay, and get one of these free certificates to renew my drivers license, they asked for 300 baht and my secret for getting a free certificate was to reply to their request for a fee as follows, politely, remind them that there is no fee, they then quit trying to steal from you and continue doing their job, the fee schedule inside the door, to your left , makes no mention of a fee for a residency certificate, because there is no fee, if you paid a fee that is your mistake, you are misinformed, I have lived here for 14 years and have gotten 20 or so of these forms, and never paid anything, I must sometimes wait for them as they do not like to give them away, but if you want to pay for a free certificate, go ahead, try asking for a receipt for the tip they call a fee, and watch the song and dance , shuffling and frowning, they will then admit there is no fee, and process you. This is not a Jomtien procedure it is the same at every immigration office inThailand, a national policy,

I have renewed my yearly extension of stay 13 times at this office, the same people, there is no animosity, no games, me not giving them a tip has not made the process any more difficult whatsoever,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, you're correct there isn't an official fee for the residence certificate. However they've been asking for a "tip" for quite a few years in Pattaya.

You have to realize that when posting a statement like:

This is not a Jomtien procedure it is the same at every immigration office inThailand, a national policy

Your reliability gets questioned. As you say, there are tons of other treads regarding residence certificates. However you don't seem to have read many of them. If you had, you'd be well aware that there's a growing number of immigration offices that won't issue these certificates. Whether for free nor if you'd offered them money.

I might question the "fee" the next time I apply for one, and I might not, depending on the overall feeling I get when applying. I'd rather have this service available for a small fee, then having to get it from my embassy, while spending a lot more, i.e. both monies and time.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, you're correct there isn't an official fee for the residence certificate. However they've been asking for a "tip" for quite a few years in Pattaya.

This is not a Jomtien procedure it is the same at every immigration office inThailand, a national policy

Your reliability gets questioned. As you say, there are tons of other treads regarding residence certificates. However you don't seem to have read many of them. If you had, you'd be well aware that there's a growing number of immigration offices that won't issue these certificates. Whether for free nor if you'd offered them money.

I might question the "fee" the next time I apply for one, and I might not, depending on the overall feeling I get when applying. I'd rather have this service available for a small fee, then having to get it from my embassy, while spending a lot more, i.e. both monies and time.

I need a pension verification letter from my embassy, each year, to obtain my 1 year extension of stay, I was not aware that my embassy issued residence certificates , for use at the verification center(motor vehicle office)( land transport office) or whatever you want to call that place a long ways out of town.

If as you say some offfices are refusing to issue these certificates , that are required , not by us, but by another branch of the Thai paper shuffling bureaucracy, then how does one renew, obtain, transfer, buy, or otherwise use the licensing, registration process? Work permits and house books aside.

Thanks for the response.

I need a pension verification letter from my embassy, each year, to obtain my 1 year extension of stay, I was not aware that my embassy issued residence certificates , for use at the verification center(motor vehicle office)( land transport office) or whatever you want to call that place a long ways out of town.

Your Embassy, without knowing your nationality, should issue you proof of residency, if provided proper documentation. However the cost will most likely be way more than the official tip at Jomtien immigration for a residence certificate.

If as you say some offfices are refusing to issue these certificates , that are required , not by us, but by another branch of the Thai paper shuffling bureaucracy, then how does one renew, obtain, transfer, buy, or otherwise use the licensing, registration process? Work permits and house books aside.

Yes, this is when you get into a real quandary, what do you do if you cant get one from your local immigration office?

Well, say you do get a letter of proof of residency from you Embassy, the requesting department officer might want it in Thai. Then youd have to get it translated and probably certified. Granted there are a few other options if you cant get one from your local immigration office, and thats to try with the local police or amphur, but thats no guarantee either. So to rephrase myself, Id rather pay a small tip at immigration for this service and keeping it intact, than having to go through the hoops these poor guys that dont have this service do.

I changed my one year to five-year yesterday Friday. I arrived at 8:10 and left about 1030 very easy process. Photo copies of passport, with entry visa stamp, medical check, residency permit, paid 1,060 for car and motorbike.

Made colour, depth perception and reaction test

I changed my one year to five-year yesterday Friday. I arrived at 8:10 and left about 1030 very easy process. Photo copies of passport, with entry visa stamp, medical check, residency permit, paid 1,060 for car and motorbike.

I am doing mine next week. Can i just check again (to save problems) for a car and bike licence is ONE original residence certificate OK and one copy, or are TWO originals needed. Thanks.

I am doing mine next week. Can i just check again (to save problems) for a car and bike licence is ONE original residence certificate OK and one copy, or are TWO originals needed. Thanks.

One original and one copy should be fine.

I thought a medical certificate was not required.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I missed something, but I thought there was a written test involved? I also thought I read somewhere here that they were even going to expand the amount of questions on the exam?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app