Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

My I year licences expired earlier this month but decided to delay renewing to 5 year licences until after my birthday, a couple of days back, so that I could take full advantage of the extended expiry period.

Renewed at the Pattaya Traffic Office (near Regents School) today and all worked out just fine. Turned up at 2pm, with resident certificates (2no from Immigration - Bt500 'fee') and medical certificates. Arranged the other copies (old licences + passport & visa pages) from the copy shop opposite the office - Bt18).

Took a number and went straight up to the 1st floor and handed over docs + passport. Seating area was fairly empty but there were a number of 'customers' in the video viewing room. Waited about 10mins to be called for the testing - just me plus one other foreigner. Usual tests for colour / reaction / depth perception. Docs then signed and passport returned. Then onto the cashier to pay the car (Bt605) + motorbike (Bt355) fees for the 5 year licences.

In the meantime, the 40 or so who had been in the video room had been released and were being processed for the licence photo, so that meant a bit of a wait for my turn. Eventually finished around 3pm. So, just 1 hour for a rather painless process.

Now good to go for another 6 years (less a couple of days)!

• Like 1

My I year licences expired earlier this month but decided to delay renewing to 5 year licences until after my birthday, a couple of days back, so that I could take full advantage of the extended expiry period.

Renewed at the Pattaya Traffic Office (near Regents School) today and all worked out just fine. Turned up at 2pm, with resident certificates (2no from Immigration - Bt500 'fee') and medical certificates. Arranged the other copies (old licences + passport & visa pages) from the copy shop opposite the office - Bt18).

Took a number and went straight up to the 1st floor and handed over docs + passport. Seating area was fairly empty but there were a number of 'customers' in the video viewing room. Waited about 10mins to be called for the testing - just me plus one other foreigner. Usual tests for colour / reaction / depth perception. Docs then signed and passport returned. Then onto the cashier to pay the car (Bt605) + motorbike (Bt355) fees for the 5 year licences.

In the meantime, the 40 or so who had been in the video room had been released and were being processed for the licence photo, so that meant a bit of a wait for my turn. Eventually finished around 3pm. So, just 1 hour for a rather painless process.

Now good to go for another 6 years (less a couple of days)!

A very good idea to go later on in the day like you did. Absolutely packed if you turn up first thing in the morning.

• Like 1

Maybe they gave you back the wrong change or maybe your memory is bad, It's 605 baht, I have the receipt here.

I found my receipt. it is 505b.

And there will be another 100Baht receipt stapled to it, similar as the picture I posted in post #207.

I bet you also get discount at immigration.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you renew 1 day after expiry, you will get an extra 50 Baht fee slapped,

Interesting, first time ever I hear of this fee.

All people I know always renew a few days/weeks late to get 1 extra year

Never any of them mentioned this extra. A bad day for this officer ? wink.png

If you look at post #207, you will notice that the fee is on the receipt, so I doubt the officer made it up.

A Thai friend went there yesterday, two to three hundred people trying to renew their licences, apparently many people want to obtain the new smart card as they think the old style paper licence is no longer valid so they are rushing to change over.

It also seems renewals are only being accepted at ten am and 1pm. Which entails a lot of waiting around for their number to come up making the people traffic jam even worse.

If you look at post #207, you will notice that the fee is on the receipt, so I doubt the officer made it up.

I believe the Bt50 fee is for a change of name / address when the licence is renewed. This is indicated on the official website, which also confirms that the renewal fee is Bt505, plus Bt100 for the 'plastic smart card' for a car licence.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471:renew&Itemid=88

That matches with my experience of about 10 days back when I upgraded from a 1 year to a 5 year licence about 20 days past the expiry date of my 1 year licence but only paid a total of Bt605 in fees for the new Car licence.

• Like 1

I believe the Bt50 fee is for a change of name / address when the licence is renewed. This is indicated on the official website, which also confirms that the renewal fee is Bt505, plus Bt100 for the 'plastic smart card' for a car licence.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471:renew&Itemid=88

That matches with my experience of about 10 days back when I upgraded from a 1 year to a 5 year licence about 20 days past the expiry date of my 1 year licence but only paid a total of Bt605 in fees for the new Car licence.

You may be correct, as I changed my address at the same time.

Thanks for the clarification.

Whats the best time to go to Land Transport Office for license renewal without going first thing in the morning. It takes me a couple of hours in the morning to come to so arriving there at 8.30 or before is out of the question.

Whats the best time to go to Land Transport Office for license renewal without going first thing in the morning. It takes me a couple of hours in the morning to come to so arriving there at 8.30 or before is out of the question.

For renewal try just after lunch - cannot remember if that is 1 or 2pm however.....sorry

For renewal try just after lunch - cannot remember if that is 1 or 2pm however.....sorry

Agree, getting there after they open up after lunch at 1pm, is usually the best time.

Agree, getting there after they open up after lunch at 1pm, is usually the best time.

Or 6am and be first in the morning queue. 555

If I take a baht bus down Suk to 36 is there transport like motor bike taxis or car taxis around there to get to the licensing compound?

Never seen any. But it is not an impossible walk anyway. 10 or 20 minutes. Why not drive there? If you take a full test you need to have your own vehicle which presumably you would drive there unlicensed and uninsured unless you're lucky enough to have a qualified driver chauffeur you. Edited by Keesters

I too just got my 5yr licence and was relatively painless BUT i went back to get this motorcycle licence out of the way and it took TWO DAYS!!.. It was a joke, they could not have made it more ludicrously convoluted if they tried. Is this designed to keep as many people in a job as humanly possible pushing paper?.... I was given the wrong information from the word go and "land of smiles?" FORGET IT!!!... Rude and unhelpful does not begin to cover it!... The sooner they attempt to embrace technology and do away with the mounds of paperwork and reduce the waiting time the better... Down side i will have to return to renew my 5yr motorcycle licence and if the next time i return is another 5yrs then it will be too soon... Terrible and unnecessary experince!... Thailand, make an effort to keep up for God's sake!!..

I too just got my 5yr licence and was relatively painless BUT i went back to get this motorcycle licence out of the way and it took TWO DAYS!!.. It was a joke, they could not have made it more ludicrously convoluted if they tried. Is this designed to keep as many people in a job as humanly possible pushing paper?.... I was given the wrong information from the word go and "land of smiles?" FORGET IT!!!... Rude and unhelpful does not begin to cover it!... The sooner they attempt to embrace technology and do away with the mounds of paperwork and reduce the waiting time the better... Down side i will have to return to renew my 5yr motorcycle licence and if the next time i return is another 5yrs then it will be too soon... Terrible and unnecessary experince!... Thailand, make an effort to keep up for God's sake!!..

Do you feel better now..........whistling.gif

The obverse is that on the occasions I have been to either get or renew over the last 4 years it has so far been relatively painless - perhaps I have just been fortunate blink.png . As to attitude - it s a govt. office and IMHO you can get rude and unhelpful anywhere in the world in govt. offices if you are unlucky.

• Like 1

How many potential man hours are lost because people have take two full days away from work to stand in a queue to take an under one minute practical test and a theory test that is frankly comical and where i come from if staff spoke to you the way i witnessed they would loose there job or there front teeth, or hopefully both. Not too long before my obligation to work here is concluded and back on that plane and civilisation... There!! Now i do feel marginally better but glad you found your experience with this body of officials painless but for me? painful, unprofessional and unnecessary but hay!.. as people say and think it is amusing or profound to say "this is Thailand" and that makes it exceptable but alas not for me.

Edited by marrmrrs

Hi guys.

I followed your advice and went there for 1pm yesterday to renew my 5-year DL.

- give documents & passport at reception upstairs

- put my phone number and signature on a form

- go to wait desk #4... 5 minutes and they call everybody for the tests

- less than 30s per people for the 3 tests. Easy for most.

- go to desk #3 for payment & get a new card number

- wait your number to be called: 1st for the picture, 2nd 3 minutes later for the card(s)

- I was out just before 2pm smile.png

- No medical certificate, no video to watch.

- my license was expired of 9 days; the new one is valid 6 years up to March 2021

- 405 baht all for a Motorbike License only

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

Hi guys.

I followed your advice and went there for 1pm yesterday to renew my 5-year DL.

- give documents & passport at reception upstairs

- put my phone number and signature on a form

- go to wait desk #4... 5 minutes and they call everybody for the tests

- less than 30s per people for the 3 tests. Easy for most.

- go to desk #3 for payment & get a new card number

- wait your number to be called: 1st for the picture, 2nd 3 minutes later for the card(s)

- I was out just before 2pm smile.png

- No medical certificate, no video to watch.

- my license was expired of 9 days; the new one is valid 6 years up to March 2021

- 405 baht all for a Motorbike License only

Thanks for the update Pattaya46. thumbsup.gif

Good to hear that it worked out that quickly for you.

Must say I’m surprised you got away from watching the video, maybe they had technical difficulties today. smile.png

Hi Everyone

I like to ask how to renew your Thai Driver's License in Khonkaen. I have heard you need to do a Medical check ( certificate ) from a clinic, copies of the passport ( main page and visa page ) front n back of the current T.D.L. and I'm a teacher do they want to see my school coontract or work permit? I'm not sure what else they need.

Again this is in Khonkaen. I appreciate the help. Thanks a lot. Jasper

Just my experience today:

Success obtaining 5yr car and motorbike license at Banglamung (Pattaya) Motor Vehicle Registry Office.1 hour 15 minutes.

1 yr temporary was obtained on a non-o visa.

5 yr permanent was obtained on a ED visa today.

Documents i took:

2x resident certificate from Jomtien immigration - 500 baht.

2x doctor health certificate - 200 baht.

2x copy of passport, 1 for car/1 for motorbike.

1x copy, front and back, of each license.

Original passport.

Original 1 yr temporary license for the car and motorbike.

A smile!

Arrived at approx 8:10 am, queue was well into the parking lot. A lady was giving instructions at the front door, but it was all in thai. As i waited in the queue to go inside, i noticed the english sign that read something like "5 year renewal, 1st lesson-10:00am-11:30 am, final lesson 13:00-14:30.

Thinking i was too early, i sat down outside and searched the web on the iphone about this information i've never heard before. At about 8:30 am, i decided to try my luck with front door lady as i thought "im not renewing my 5 yr". She waved me to the front ahead of the thais (only about 4-5 in front of me) and sent me to get a number for counter 11. My number was 111 and they were on 102. Waited about 15-20 minutes then number called. No problem at counter 11 except i needed to sign my passport and license copies. Green card and go wait counter 4. Color, reaction, and depth perception test complete, wait room for name. About 10-15 minutes i was called, sign sign, go to cashier. 1060 baht, blue card, wait for number. Not too long and name called, photo and in 2 minutes i was complete with my brand new 5 year car and motorbike license. I went 7 days after my birthday, so the licenses are good for practically 6 years, expires in march of 2021.

Is the Pattaya office still refusing to accept yellow house book as proof of residence?

No, but they want to see your wife's blue house book too. I actually drove out there Monday just before closing time and asked, yellow and blue book are okay.

Today I also renewed both my 5 years licenses.

All I bought was:

1: Both old 5 years licenses.

2: Yellow and blue house books

3: Passport.

Medical certificate not necessary.

I also arrived early, so was there about 0810 and people was queuing already as also mentioned from another poster today.

I was done app 1130 with 2 pcs new shinny 5 years licenses, thankfully as I can find better things to do.

At least the AC was okay, 5 years ago, all the AC was stopped inside the building and it was really hot in there.