Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

If you have a drivers licence with your passport no on it , and get a new passport ,do you have to change your licence ? anyone know .

I asked this some time ago at the DLT- answer - up to you. Asked is it a legal requirement to change it. Up to you.

TIT. I would not bother. edit- if you have years left on your license I would. .

I'd think it's a legal requirement.

But I'd not bother.

I had a couple passport changes in the past and didn't have my licenses updated.

Just waited for the renewal to incorporate the new number.

Some time ago I read in a Pattaya forum that the OP had gone to the DLT to have his license updated to his new passport number and that the DLT people were not only surprised at the request but also obviously annoyed at the extra work they had to do (unnecessary they must have thought).

• 3 weeks later...

My friend renewed his 5 year license yesterday. Did the colour and reaction tests. In and out within an hour.

I am doing the same today. Now have to watch the film. Don't know if I have to do another test or not.

Been here 2 hours already.

I wonder why the difference.

• Like 1

I just went to BanglaMung Traffic Office for my renewal of my 1 year first Thai driving licence to a 5 year licence. I forgot I needed a residency certificate which I then went to Jomtien to obtain 300 bart. However, despite being told I did not need medical certificate I was told I do. Strange. Maybe because I am 72 years of age. Was not explained why. I went to a clinic and the doctor checked my blood pressure, pulse and heart and for 100 bart I had a certificate. Also had to copy both sides of my 1 year licence.Then back to BanglaMung for the basic eye and reaction test and aftr paying 750 bart I had my licence.

I just went to BanglaMung Traffic Office for my renewal of my 1 year first Thai driving licence to a 5 year licence. I forgot I needed a residency certificate which I then went to Jomtien to obtain 300 bart. However, despite being told I did not need medical certificate I was told I do. Strange. Maybe because I am 72 years of age. Was not explained why. I went to a clinic and the doctor checked my blood pressure, pulse and heart and for 100 bart I had a certificate. Also had to copy both sides of my 1 year licence.Then back to BanglaMung for the basic eye and reaction test and aftr paying 750 bart I had my licence.

Renewing 5 year then you shouldn't need a med cert but if you are going from 1yr to 5yr then I think you do.

If you have a drivers licence with your passport no on it , and get a new passport ,do you have to change your licence ? anyone know .

I asked this some time ago at the DLT- answer - up to you. Asked is it a legal requirement to change it. Up to you.

TIT. I would not bother. edit- if you have years left on your license I would. .

I'd think it's a legal requirement.

But I'd not bother.

I had a couple passport changes in the past and didn't have my licenses updated.

Just waited for the renewal to incorporate the new number.

Some time ago I read in a Pattaya forum that the OP had gone to the DLT to have his license updated to his new passport number and that the DLT people were not only surprised at the request but also obviously annoyed at the extra work they had to do (unnecessary they must have thought).

I actually did this yesterday. They wanted copy of licences, copy passport details and visa page and obviously originals. Lady (who spoke good English) filled in some forms, I signed them and then twiddled my thumbs for a bit, then had to go pay 310 baht total for both bike and car licence, take a number and wait to be called to have new photos taken.

I arrived about 2.55pm but possibly better to be a little later and hope the queue diminishes. All in all took me just under an hour with most of that waiting to have the photo taken.

Why did I bother - to avoid any potential issues (however unlikely that may be) if the mismatch was discovered during some routine check - Vehicle Insurance springs to mind.

The lady who took the details did not seem surprised at all and was certainly not annoyed even though I interrupted her watching something on her phone.............however YMMV wink.png

Renewing 5 year then you shouldn't need a med cert but if you are going from 1yr to 5yr then I think you do.

Yes you do - well documented on here as well.

What am I right or wrong, as I haven't done mine for 3-4 years? The last time I renewed my 5yr license I didn't need a med cert, nor the first time. I only remember needing a med cert for my 1yr & upgrading to 5yr.

What am I right or wrong, as I haven't done mine for 3-4 years? The last time I renewed my 5yr license I didn't need a med cert, nor the first time. I only remember needing a med cert for my 1yr & upgrading to 5yr.

Apologies if not clear - going from 1 year to 5 year you definitely do need a med cert.

• Like 1

I see reading from the previous posts that the Depth Perception Test is not mentioned as part of the test, only color and reaction are listed as being required. Does anyone have any further confirmation that the Depth Perception Test is no longer required.

I see reading from the previous posts that the Depth Perception Test is not mentioned as part of the test, only color and reaction are listed as being required. Does anyone have any further confirmation that the Depth Perception Test is no longer required.

I can confirm the depth perception test is not required,

Edited by Rimmer
slur

Thank you for your prompt reply loppylugs, I have 20/20 vision, with the aid of glasses, peripheral vision is fine, but lining up those pesky D.P.T. sticks is not always easy, and I am not sure how relevant, I understand the logic behind it, but I have no problems judging the closing gap of an oncoming car when trying to overtake.

More importantly, I would think, would be to introduce a standard eye test, the sort you have when testing for spectacles, the color blindness test seems a bit irrelevant to me, as the only reason as far as I can think is reading the color of traffic lights signals.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Are you sure that we can renew 3 months before birthday ?

And I do not understand how to get almost 6 years ?

Do we have to pay for each residence certificate at immigration or just pay 1 and copy it ?

Thank you so much.

Heres a bit of info that might help people.................wish i had known it before spending 5 hours renewing my 5yr licence today

I went to renew car/bike licence but thought i/d miss the 8am rush so turned up at 10.30am after hearing other reports that this was a good time..........

might of been before 1st October this year.....................

but since then, and there is a sign on the wall to the effect that there are 2 sittings per day for 5 yr renewal (didnt see anything re 1yr renewal or first time applications)

........first sitting at 10am and second at 1.30pm

Of course i get there at 10.30 so miss the first sitting........she checks the documents and gives me a red queue card.............come back at 1pm she says

so i had a 2 and half hour wait....eventually got out with new licences at 3pm....................

My advice would be turn up about 9.30am or 1pm..........there is a note on the sign to turn up 30mins before the sitting to have your docs checked.

Document requirements havn't changed

Residence Cert for each licence

Passport page...1 copy for each licence

Departure/ visa stay stamp.....1 for each licence

Front and back of each licence...1 copy each licence

My birthday was on the 11th and true to what has been written going today the 15th i got 6years before expiry..........did read on the wall however that if the renewal was after expiry then practical/written tests would have to taken so who knows.......maybe if your within a day or so its overlooked?

Also read you can renew up to 3 months before........................

Hope this helps someone

Residence certificate.........you need one for bike and one for car........they are 300 each or 2 for 500 baht at Jomtien Immigration..........dont think you will be able to just get one and photocopy it as you tick a box on the form indicating if its for car or a bike.............

The 3 month before rule was written on the wall at the driving centre so i assume its the case

You get the 6 years as far as i understand because the 5 year period commences from your next birthday so be going the day after your licence expires (which will be your birthday) you get the 6 years if you go the day before your licence expires then the 5 year period starts from the following day i.e your birthday.

Also in my orginal post i said go at 9.30am you get your documents in.......by reading others experience my advice would be go at 8.30am to be sure of making the 10am session

Edited by thaiflyer1

Thank you so much but I am too stupid I still do not understand if I should go the day before my birthday or the day after ?!

If you go the day after your 5 years will start from your next birthday, hence you'll get nearly 6 years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I need to go next week to renew 5 yr licence. cannot go in morning (work)..

So anyone can tell me what time I need to be there for an afternoon renewal. From past posts it looks like 1.30pm is mentioned for the tests/video etc.

thank you....

Thank you for your prompt reply loppylugs, I have 20/20 vision, with the aid of glasses, peripheral vision is fine, but lining up those pesky D.P.T. sticks is not always easy, and I am not sure how relevant, I understand the logic behind it, but I have no problems judging the closing gap of an oncoming car when trying to overtake.

More importantly, I would think, would be to introduce a standard eye test, the sort you have when testing for spectacles, the color blindness test seems a bit irrelevant to me, as the only reason as far as I can think is reading the color of traffic lights signals.

You arent the only one, took me 3 attempts last September and there were 2 or 3 Thais were failed........Happy to drop the perception test.

New 5-year licenses renewal - my 7-hour ordeal!!

This was my third renewal of my 2 5-year licenses.

Renewal was quick and easy previously, but not today!

Arrived at 9:30am before the 10am time for renewing 5-year licenses.

There must have been at least 200 hundred people there; all moto

and car parking areas were filled to the brim.

I obtained my queue ticket; 20 numbers were ahead of my number. It took an

hour and a half before my number was called to go upstairs.

All of my documents were in order. BTW, they _do_ accept a photo copy

of the Residence certificate, which I used with my second license application.

The gal inspected my docs then asked something I've never been asked

for on my previous license renewals...she wanted to see my Passport!

I guess that is the problem with a 5 year license renewal, by the time it is time to renew the license the rules have changed again

When I went and renewed my second 5 year license there was no requirement for a Residency Certificate from either Immigration or your Embassy all you needed to prove your residency was your old license. In the past the only time a Residency Certificate was needed was for your first 5 year license or for registering a car or motorcycle in your name

I guess I will just have to wait and see how the wind is blowing in May of 2017 to determine if I need a Residency Certificate and a Medical Certificate for my third 5 year license renewal

BTW, whenever dealing with any part of Thai officialdom I have my Passport on me. Thais must have their ID cards and foreigners must have their passports to transact business here

• 4 weeks later...

So anyone can tell me what time I need to be there for an afternoon renewal. From past posts it looks like 1.30pm is mentioned for the tests/video etc.

thank you....

Hi people...I wish to go this Tuesday.

Does anyone have any info for me on the times to go, especially for the afternoon.

Appreciate any help..thanks

thank you....

Hi people...I wish to go this Tuesday.

Does anyone have any info for me on the times to go, especially for the afternoon.

Appreciate any help..thanks

With the last big Songkran day on Tuesday in Pattaya unless you live east of Sukhumvit I would suggest not a good idea.........

WELL IT WORKED---MY GREAT PLAN

My idea was to go on the 19th because my thinking was that most farangs (and others) would be playing with water.

Got there exactly at 1pm, was only person in the queue. Upstairs immediately and papers in,

Video room and tests (only stick depth perception test and colour chart) and payment/getting licence took exactly 1 hr 15 mins.

Amazingly (other than one Korean) I was the foreigner there.

So latest on what's required----(I was renewing a 5 year licence).

-Copy of passport

-Copy of Visa (in my case Marriage)

-Copy of old licence

-original passport and original expired licence

-Cost for me was 305 baht for licence and 100 baht for passport nbr change (total 405 baht).

Receptionists Information is -- if renewing 5 year licence (either car or motorbike) arrive at 9.30am or 1-1.30 pm.

Ok guys hope that all helps.

• Like 1

My idea was to go on the 19th because my thinking was that most farangs (and others) would be playing with water.

Got there exactly at 1pm, was only person in the queue. Upstairs immediately and papers in,

Video room and tests (only stick depth perception test and colour chart) and payment/getting licence took exactly 1 hr 15 mins.

-Copy of passport

-Copy of old licence

-Cost for me was 305 baht for licence and 100 baht for passport nbr change (total 405 baht).

Receptionists Information is -- if renewing 5 year licence (either car or motorbike) arrive at 9.30am or 1-1.30 pm.

Thanks, glad it went so smoothly. Since you did not list it, I assume there was no requirement for a residence certificate from Immigration and they accepted your old license as proof of residence

• Like 1

-Copy of passport

-Copy of old licence

Thanks, glad it went so smoothly. Since you did not list it, I assume there was no requirement for a residence certificate from Immigration and they accepted your old license as proof of residence

Whoops missed that one. Yes I did have the 'Residence Letter from Immigration' also.

FYI - I asked if I could have used my 'Work permit' and was told yes (in lieu of the letter).

• 2 weeks later...

My friend's 5 year license expired in Nov 2014. Will he have to take the written and driving tests?

"Written" test (multple choice at the computer) to the rules.

No driving test.

From Nov 2017 all void, restart from scratch.

My 5 year licences are about to expire soon. However i am on touristvisa now so i quess that means i will get only this 2 year licence, correct?

I also have lost my car licence. Should i get a police report or do they see on computer i have one ? Motorbike licence is not missingbiggrin.png

In my case, is it better to go before or after expiry day?

I have also my homeland DL + international DL, Neeeded or no?

Thanks for any inputsmile.png