Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

I need to renew my 5year licence.

The documents required are,

1. copy of passport and visa

2. copy of work permit.

3. ?? is a medical required ?

Anything else that I have missed ?

12/23: Renewed my 5 year license today in the afternoon. Some notes:

-A fellow who spoke fluent Thai with an Indian passport was rejected from applying for some reason.

-Had to do color and reaction tests only. Not distance test.

-Watched a gory road accident movie for nearly an hour until our documents were ready (bring a book or play on your phone if you're not into real gore).

405 baht later, I have a 6 year license as I went just after my birthday.

Any questions?

• Like 1

Could anyone please confirm that if I renew my 5 year license after my birthday/expiry, I will receive nearly 6 years until next renewal? Thank you.

Yes

I can also confirm this is absolutely correct smile.png

Yes, always worth waiting until after expiry. But don't leave it more than 6 months or you have to do a full re-test.

if you are stopped by the police or have a accident with a expired license then you have a problem and maybe a expensive one at that .

Could anyone please confirm that if I renew my 5 year license after my birthday/expiry, I will receive nearly 6 years until next renewal? Thank you.
Yes

I can also confirm this is absolutely correct smile.png

Yes, always worth waiting until after expiry. But don't leave it more than 6 months or you have to do a full re-test.

if you are stopped by the police or have a accident with a expired license then you have a problem and maybe a expensive one at that .

Indeed. But many people just get a Thai licence for ID purposes.

hi does anyone know if you try to renew a five year driving license without an ( "O" 1 year visa ) and only have short * visa on arrival * you will only receive a 1 year renewal (instead of the 5 year renewal ).......apparently this happened to a friend 9 months ago ....is this correct ? ..thanks

hi does anyone know if you try to renew a five year driving license without an ( "O" 1 year visa ) and only have short * visa on arrival * you will only receive a 1 year renewal (instead of the 5 year renewal ).......apparently this happened to a friend 9 months ago ....is this correct ? ..thanks

Correct, with a visa exempt entry you will only qualify for renewal to a one year license.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a fine to pay for renewing 5 year license 3 days after expired

Sent from my Z130 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No.

It has been mentioned before but you can renew some time after without penalty - unless stopped by the BIB before.......

• 2 weeks later...

Definately avoid Monday and Friday, I was there on both days to renew mine and I was joined by atleast 19875634568756332 Russians, insane amount of people there.

On the monday I got there at 7.30am and the cue for the front door was already massive.

• Like 1

So I went there on a Tuesday but that was probably a mistake , very long queues, maybe 200 people in front of me when I arrived around 10 am.

I had made sure to bring all the documents but then this happened, the lady at counter 11 would not accept my residence certificate. Why ? The immigration at Jomtien had mistakenly written the wrong expiration month of my visa, March instead of January. And since it's written in Thai I could not read it. But it shouldnt really matter should it ? But no way, they would not accept it so I had to drive all the way back to immigration to get another document. When I returned I just had to wait another 2 hours for my 5 year license.

505B.

I paid 605 Baht.....

That should be the correct price, they now charge an extra 100 Baht for the credit card type license, (as opposed to the flaky paper ones they used to issue).

Prices now should be: 505 +100 for the 5 year license and 105 +100 for the 1 year license.

• Like 1

December 29th 2014.

505b paid for 5 year renewal at Regents (Pattaya) Land Transport Dept.

Gave cashier 600b, received 95b change.

They charge 100 baht extra for the plastic (credit card type) driver licence, and they did that in December 2013 already, but if I remember correctly the motorbike license is cheaper than the car license.

So is yours a bike or car license?

Car.

And that is the credit card type, right?

Am sure it aint good for financial transactions but it is a plastic one with a digital pic of me on it.

Was not offered a credit card license so maybe that's why I paid 100b less.

Looks like you get discount, that nobody else get, even at government offices.

To remove all doubts, include are the receipts for the respective licenses with a scanned photo.

A bike license is 355 Baht and a car license is 605 Baht, and nobody pays less, unless you have the paper one which you have to lamintae by yourself if you want it to last 5 years.

If you renew 1 day after expiry, you will get an extra 50 Baht fee slapped, but in return you get 364 days extra.

post-222439-0-46498900-1424444138_thumb.

Renewed my 5 year (second one) at the LTO underneath AEK Udon Hospital in Udon Thani last Wednesday. Total cost was 605 baht (500 baht for the license, 5 baht for processing and 100 baht for the photocard). All they needed was copy of yellow book and copy of passport face page. Did the random flashing light test (red, amber, green) and then watched the excruciating 1-hour video about the "5 precepts" of driving in LOS. I noted that it only references motorbikes about 4 times (all seen being wiped out by cars) and never, ever mentions wearing a seat-belt or crash helmet. I managed to stay awake but the five locals in the room with me used the time for games, texting, FB'ing and sleeping.

They only do this crucially important video a couple of times a day at this location so either 10 AM or 1.30 PM. I was in at 1 PM and out at 2.45 PM.

My passport was renewed in January so the new TDL now has the new passport number but the driver number at the top is unchanged.