Commuters and historians seek emergency brake for plans to shut Bangkok’s beloved Hua Lamphong Station

snoop1130

1-6.png

Bangkok Railway Station, more commonly known as Hua Lamphong, in Bangkok. (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

Though most Bangkok commuters travel by Skytrain or MRT, some 10,000 still take the train daily to the capital’s Hua Lamphong Railway Station – and can’t help but dread the station’s closure.

Jumping on a train in Rangsit at about 7am, commuters arrive in the city’s heart at Hua Lamphong (officially known as Bangkok Railway Station) by 8.15am, just in time for work. If they leave Rangsit at 5.45am, the train gets them to Hua Lamphong Station by 6.50am.

Opting for other means of transport will either cost commuters more or take them longer to get to work. Yet from December 24, the Transport Ministry plans for trains to bypass Hua Lamphong and stop only at the Bang Sue Grand Station – if the opposition is not too strong.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/commuters-and-historians-seek-emergency-brake-for-plans-to-shut-bangkoks-beloved-hua-lamphong-station/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

Because of its location it’s impractical as hell, but I love Hua Lamphong! It’s been the starting point (and also end) of many an enjoyable train journey for me. Would hate to see it being demolished a replaced with a block of flats or something. Or a shopping mall, even worse!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Because of its location it’s impractical as hell, but I love Hua Lamphong! It’s been the starting point (and also end) of many an enjoyable train journey for me. Would hate to see it being demolished a replaced with a block of flats or something. Or a shopping mall, even worse!

I thought there was nothing worse than a shopping mall

21 hours ago, PJPom said:

I hope that the opposition to its destruction is successful, all buildings of merit that have an iconic presence should be preserved.

Destruction?? The station is not being demolished, just closed.

Although I'd expect that the SRT will run shuttle services between Bang Sue Grand and Hualamphong after intercity services are moved to BSG. Also, don't forget that the SRT Dark Red line will be extended from Bang Sue Grand to Hualamphong with the Dark red line elevated station to be built on the west side of Hualamphong. So there will still be pax activity there.

The Dark red line then continues to Wong Wian Yai and eventually Mahachai. It will be 87km when completed.