Jump to content

Pattaya to get huge new beachside development


Jonathan Fairfield
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, RobU said:

Here's a suggestion. maybe the city fathers should concentrate on maintaining and improving the city's infrastructure, that is more likely to bring tourists who want to walk around and look at things and buy from local businesses rather than spend money within a luxury complex that they never leave other than travelling to and from the airport all the money going to the big international businesses who own the complex. Currently Pattaya is a ramshackle badly maintained city that is not family or tourist friendly and is not safe for pedestrians and a self contained development like this will not help the city one iota

"Should" is not a word that applies to Pattaya authorities IMO. Spending money on infrastructure does not bring a return to the usual suspects, which is probably why the only decent infrastructure in Pattaya has been built by private developers.

IMO every project built by the city has been a disaster..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Look what's happened to The Avenue. 

I don't think The Avenue can be used as an example of anything except a very bad idea. I was at the opening and it was apparent to me it would fail. IMO only a deluded person would imagine that a non AC mall could succeed in Pattaya.

Yes, the Big C mall was not AC, but that was back when the only alternatives were Royal Garden and Mike's. The Avenue is only a short walk from Royal Garden, so was competing for the same customers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kinyara said:

 

 

I can't visualise in my head what businesses are surrounding it, have you got anything/anywhere specific in mind ?  

Well it's going to be right in the middle between T21 and Central Pattaya beach

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RobU said:

Here's a suggestion. maybe the city fathers should concentrate on maintaining and improving the city's infrastructure, that is more likely to bring tourists who want to walk around and look at things and buy from local businesses rather than spend money within a luxury complex that they never leave other than travelling to and from the airport all the money going to the big international businesses who own the complex. Currently Pattaya is a ramshackle badly maintained city that is not family or tourist friendly and is not safe for pedestrians and a self contained development like this will not help the city one iota

Absolutely. Foreign visitors here have no place at all to have a relaxing walk along the water front for shopping and dining. Maybe the Thais from Bangkok will enjoy walking around another mall. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I worked on the grounds crew at Tysons one summer.  Across the street was a couple hundred acres of nothing.  We rode motorcycles in the abandoned gravel pit there, right where they eventually built Tysons II. We used to drag race on the Dulles access road. I can't even find my way around No VA anymore. But they do dump a bunch of money into infrastructure and Tysons is supposedly the 12th largest employment center in the United States. 

Interesting!  Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

That's what Koh Chang sort of looked like... before greed destroyed it.

The image is contemporary from Koh Samui that some says long has been destroyed by greed - things might depend of from which angle you look at it...:whistling:

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Yea well,this project is not the Pattaya I signed up for....I want to see lots of cheap beer bars, lots of cheap street food, I want to see bars open 24/7, lots of pig roasts with balloons in bars, lots of girls hanging out on beach road....

 

A development like this will bring the wrong kind of people to Pattaya....Families with kids is not what pattaya needs....Pattaya needs more girls from Issan and more expat retirees to be great again.... 

What you signed up for does and will still exist in the future,  just removed from prime site locations where they don't make economic sense..

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Yea well,this project is not the Pattaya I signed up for....I want to see lots of cheap beer bars, lots of cheap street food, I want to see bars open 24/7, lots of pig roasts with balloons in bars, lots of girls hanging out on beach road....

 

A development like this will bring the wrong kind of people to Pattaya....Families with kids is not what pattaya needs....Pattaya needs more girls from Issan and more expat retirees to be great again.... 

You are 25 years late!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Deserted said:

Not sure if I understand this post. Has the project been given the green light and is going ahead or is it awaiting approval?

Just testing the waters...... we get a lot of this gumph.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Deserted said:

Not sure if I understand this post. Has the project been given the green light and is going ahead or is it awaiting approval?

There is a lot of money to be made by the usual suspects even if a single sod is never turned. Add it to the basket with the monorail in it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the number of new malls all competing for customers they are all anticipating an influx of tourists willing to spend time in their buildings. Perhaps they know something the rest of us don't, but I fail to see what is attractive about Pattaya to bring in that sort of crowd. Pattaya is IMO a dump, no matter how much lipstick they keep putting on the pig, and city hall has demonstrated many times that they are IMO too <deleted>, too incompetent, too greedy to improve the city to a standard that actual rich people would even consider visiting.

 

So far Pattaya has resisted any attempt to become a world class city, and IMO will continue to do so.

I for one will be happy indeed if it continues to frustrate the greedies and their dreams of riches turn to ashes in their mouths as their nasty monuments to greed turn into Avenue clones.

 

      Poor Pattaya.  It has Leaver saying don't build anything new and nice that might attract more visitors because older projects already here like Avenue might suffer.  (Hello, Orlando.  Hello, Las Vegas.)  Now we have you saying that 'you fail to see what is attractive about Pattaya',  it's a 'dump',  so don't build anything new and nice that might attract more people.  (And, perhaps, make Pattaya more attractive.)   Luckily for Pattaya it seems to have attracted a number of companies focused on what Pattaya can become rather than what it was.   If last weekend was any indicator, their efforts are starting to pay off.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 5:40 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Anyone who knows anything about Pattaya waters understands what utter nonsense this is. The WORST kind of misleading advertisement.

bs!.jpeg

That's a new species, called "feces eaters".

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, newnative said:

      Poor Pattaya.  It has Leaver saying don't build anything new and nice that might attract more visitors because older projects already here like Avenue might suffer.  (Hello, Orlando.  Hello, Las Vegas.)  Now we have you saying that 'you fail to see what is attractive about Pattaya',  it's a 'dump',  so don't build anything new and nice that might attract more people.  (And, perhaps, make Pattaya more attractive.)   Luckily for Pattaya it seems to have attracted a number of companies focused on what Pattaya can become rather than what it was.   If last weekend was any indicator, their efforts are starting to pay off.  

So does Pattaya plan to have fireworks every night...lol....

 

The Pattaya Mail as reported over and over 10-20% weekday hotel occupancy ever since covid....

 

They can keep building new hotels and Malls forever, but they will be morgues, unless...

 

Thailand scraps all, and I do mean all entry requirements for tourist....

 

Or they go the casino route AKA Sihanoukville part 2, and at least scrap all entry requirements for the Chinese....

 

There are no other choices......

 

Hey if they want to keep on building ghost malls and ghost hotels, it's fine by me..whatever....

Edited by redwood1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Heard a rumour Disneyland was a possibility South of town.... near where the new motorway extension is. 

Mickey Mouse outfit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, newnative said:

      Poor Pattaya.  It has Leaver saying don't build anything new and nice that might attract more visitors because older projects already here like Avenue might suffer.  (Hello, Orlando.  Hello, Las Vegas.)  Now we have you saying that 'you fail to see what is attractive about Pattaya',  it's a 'dump',  so don't build anything new and nice that might attract more people.  (And, perhaps, make Pattaya more attractive.)   Luckily for Pattaya it seems to have attracted a number of companies focused on what Pattaya can become rather than what it was.   If last weekend was any indicator, their efforts are starting to pay off.  

IMO the greedies can <deleted> off and build their monuments to greed somewhere else, like the undeveloped coastline south of Chumphon.

They are only seeking to exploit Pattaya's established reputation, and destroy the exact thing that created that reputation, just like the greedies destroyed everything beautiful about Thailand's beaches to get rich.

They can ruin any number of Thailand's other towns and no one would care ( Hua Hin was ruined when they allowed that ghastly monstrocity to be built in the town center, so they could build whatever they like there and it wouldn't ruin it any more )  , but Pattaya was unique, probably in the world, till IMO the greedy and the corrupt sought to exploit it for personal gain.

 

Too many that want to change Pattaya to something they like, instead of going somewhere else that fits their druthers. Just pure laziness, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO the greedies can <deleted> off and build their monuments to greed somewhere else, like the undeveloped coastline south of Chumphon.

They are only seeking to exploit Pattaya's established reputation, and destroy the exact thing that created that reputation, just like the greedies destroyed everything beautiful about Thailand's beaches to get rich.

They can ruin any number of Thailand's other towns and no one would care ( Hua Hin was ruined when they allowed that ghastly monstrocity to be built in the town center, so they could build whatever they like there and it wouldn't ruin it any more )  , but Pattaya was unique, probably in the world, till IMO the greedy and the corrupt sought to exploit it for personal gain.

 

Too many that want to change Pattaya to something they like, instead of going somewhere else that fits their druthers. Just pure laziness, IMO.

    Keep tilting at those windmills.  Meanwhile, I think most of us here, and most visitors, appreciate the new things that have been built--the malls, the restaurants, the hotels, the hospitals, the many housing choices, the beach expansion, the recreation, including golf courses, bike trails, and several new water parks, the new attractions, and so on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO the greedies can <deleted> off and build their monuments to greed somewhere else, like the undeveloped coastline south of Chumphon.

They are only seeking to exploit Pattaya's established reputation, and destroy the exact thing that created that reputation, just like the greedies destroyed everything beautiful about Thailand's beaches to get rich.

They can ruin any number of Thailand's other towns and no one would care ( Hua Hin was ruined when they allowed that ghastly monstrocity to be built in the town center, so they could build whatever they like there and it wouldn't ruin it any more )  , but Pattaya was unique, probably in the world, till IMO the greedy and the corrupt sought to exploit it for personal gain.

 

Too many that want to change Pattaya to something they like, instead of going somewhere else that fits their druthers. Just pure laziness, IMO.

 

They are only seeking to exploit Pattaya's established reputation, and destroy the exact thing that created that reputation,

 

 

 

Pattaya is just another domino to fall in worldwide gentrification (sterilization of culture now) its happening everywhere.......Pattaya has been a real problem for them because its not easily gentrified....There are no forest to cut down, old beautiful buildings to tear down, no city squares to build malls on etc.......

 

If you doubt what I say think how many times you have heard they want to turn Pattaya into a family resort?.....to many to count......

 

Hell there are loads of other beach towns to build family resorts....Better beaches,cheaper land, etc .....

 

But like you said the goal is the destruction of the very thing that made Pattaya a success in the first place, the night life...

 

Guys can take the blue pill and say covid is causing Pattaya demise...

But I have taken the red pill and I see covid just being used to speed-up the destruction of Pattaya that has been long planned......

 

And if Pattaya needs a Huge Monsterous new mall built to help speed the process along they will build it..... 

 

 

Edited by redwood1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

 

They are only seeking to exploit Pattaya's established reputation, and destroy the exact thing that created that reputation,

 

 

 

Pattaya is just another domino to fall in worldwide gentrification (sterilization of culture now) its happening everywhere.......Pattaya has been a real problem for them because its not easily gentrified....There are no forest to cut down, old beautiful buildings to tear down, no city squares to build malls on etc.......

 

If you doubt what I say think how many times you have heard they want to turn Pattaya into a family resort?.....to many to count......

 

Hell there are loads of other beach towns to build family resorts....Better beaches,cheaper land, etc .....

 

But like you said the goal is the destruction of the very thing that made Pattaya a success in the first place, the night life...

 

Guys can take the blue pill and say covid is causing Pattaya demise...

But I have taken the red pill and I see covid just being used to speed-up the destruction of Pattaya that has been long planned......

 

And if Pattaya needs a Huge Monsterous new mall built to help speed the process along they will build it..... 

 

 

   It might be helpful if we all at least understand what we are talking about.  Aquatique is not just another, in your words, '...Huge Monsterous new mall...'.  It is proposed as a mixed-use development that will include:

     Marriott Marquis Hotel

     JW Marriott Hotel

     Autograph Collection Hotel

     Kimpton Boutique Hotel

     Vignette Collection Hotel (redone and rebranded Grand Sole Hotel)

     Legoland

     Aquarium

     Large convention center

     Residential

     Amusement park

     Wellness and health center

     Shopping center

 

      As you can see from the list, there is a shopping component but also a lot more than that.  The developer is Asset World Corporation, the property component of Chang Beverage, so likely well-financed.  It looks like four different tracts of land are involved, two on the beach side of Second Road, the Grand Sole tract, and a tract of land just to the north of Grand Sole.   Various components of the project probably will be done in phases over a number of years and could be changed along the way.  

     

  

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, newnative said:

   It might be helpful if we all at least understand what we are talking about.  Aquatique is not just another, in your words, '...Huge Monsterous new mall...'.  It is proposed as a mixed-use development that will include:

     Marriott Marquis Hotel

     JW Marriott Hotel

     Autograph Collection Hotel

     Kimpton Boutique Hotel

     Vignette Collection Hotel (redone and rebranded Grand Sole Hotel)

     Legoland

     Aquarium

     Large convention center

     Residential

     Amusement park

     Wellness and health center

     Shopping center

 

      As you can see from the list, there is a shopping component but also a lot more than that.  The developer is Asset World Corporation, the property component of Chang Beverage, so likely well-financed.  It looks like four different tracts of land are involved, two on the beach side of Second Road, the Grand Sole tract, and a tract of land just to the north of Grand Sole.   Various components of the project probably will be done in phases over a number of years and could be changed along the way.  

     

  

Woopee doo.

Sooooo, Pattaya didn't have any hotels, amusement parks, golf courses, convention centers etc  etc etc before this monstrocity was proposed?

 

BTW, if this thing does attract many more people, what do you imagine is going to happen on the roads, which can't be widened and are already jammed ( before covid )?

 

I actually don't care if they build the thing, but why in THAT location. Why not along the coast towards Rayong where it wouldn't be blocking the roads for years with trucks while being constructed? I know why and IMO it isn't a responsible reason- just greed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, newnative said:

    Keep tilting at those windmills.  Meanwhile, I think most of us here, and most visitors, appreciate the new things that have been built--the malls, the restaurants, the hotels, the hospitals, the many housing choices, the beach expansion, the recreation, including golf courses, bike trails, and several new water parks, the new attractions, and so on. 

No reason those things can't be built further along the coast where they are not changing the character of the city, but no doubt that is the reason for building the thing there- to destroy Pattaya of old.

I hope it fails and becomes another ghost building. I also hope the developers go broke.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Woopee doo.

Sooooo, Pattaya didn't have any hotels, amusement parks, golf courses, convention centers etc  etc etc before this monstrocity was proposed?

 

BTW, if this thing does attract many more people, what do you imagine is going to happen on the roads, which can't be widened and are already jammed ( before covid )?

 

 

Just another place where the Thais from Bangkok can spend another 2 hours in the que traffic. Are foreign visitors going to say: oh boy a super dooper mall let's go half way around the world. And the visitors here puting up with the sorry years of construction environment will be lost for good. Same as the lost  Europeans who used to visit in the mini summer July  & August high season along the beach. A beach with pleasant promenade and cafes on beach Rd. But endless bs construction projects as well as pizza, mac's, fried chicken lost that demographic. All these developers coming in riding piggy back on the Pattaya scene are in for a fall. Don't forget synergy can also be negative: 1+1+1+1+1 = 3 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Woopee doo.

Sooooo, Pattaya didn't have any hotels, amusement parks, golf courses, convention centers etc  etc etc before this monstrocity was proposed?

 

BTW, if this thing does attract many more people, what do you imagine is going to happen on the roads, which can't be widened and are already jammed ( before covid )?

 

I actually don't care if they build the thing, but why in THAT location. Why not along the coast towards Rayong where it wouldn't be blocking the roads for years with trucks while being constructed? I know why and IMO it isn't a responsible reason- just greed.

       To answer your previous post and this one, '...why in THAT location'...?   One word.  Synergy.  Every nice, new project that is built in that area makes that area more desirable.  Which makes other nice, new projects want to be there, too.  Which, in turn, makes it even more desirable.  Rinse and repeat. 

       The most desirable part of Pattaya runs from Central Festival in the south to Grand Centre Point 2 going up in the north.  Aquatique will sit in a prime spot about smack dab in the middle.  Right where they want to be and not out somewhere in the boonies--especially with the convention center component.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, newnative said:

       To answer your previous post and this one, '...why in THAT location'...?   One word.  Synergy.  Every nice, new project that is built in that area makes that area more desirable.  Which makes other nice, new projects want to be there, too.  Which, in turn, makes it even more desirable.  Rinse and repeat. 

       The most desirable part of Pattaya runs from Central Festival in the south to Grand Centre Point 2 going up in the north.  Aquatique will sit in a prime spot about smack dab in the middle.  Right where they want to be and not out somewhere in the boonies--especially with the convention center component.  

Enjoy the traffic jams then. Perhaps they'll revive the monorail 5555555555555555555555555

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...