Pattaya to get huge new beachside development

Jonathan Fairfield

On 12/12/2021 at 3:18 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you are wasting your time asking for capitalists to care about others. They worship only greed, IMO, and the losers can go to <deleted> for all they care.

Get money , get money  , get money still , 

Let virtue follow - if she will ! 

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Nothing gets mindless shopping sheep with credit cards more excited than a new mall.......If this mall is ever built then Central Festival will be joining the already long list of empty Pattaya malls.......

Well if this monstrosity is ever built, at least it might have a decent food court...I use to love Central Festivals food court but it sucks big time now after the remodel, and most people agree with me because Central food court is all but empty most days...

With the Chinese and Indians, and to some extent the Russians, making up the majority of the tourists to Pattaya, these people can buy the products that are for sale in the Pattaya malls cheaper in their own home country than in Thailand, so why would they buy in the malls here?   

Edited by Leaver

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Nothing gets mindless shopping sheep with credit cards more excited than a new mall.......If this mall is ever built then Central Festival will be joining the already long list of empty Pattaya malls.......

Well if this monstrosity is ever built, at least it might have a decent food court...I use to love Central Festivals food court but it sucks big time now after the remodel, and most people agree with me because Central food court is all but empty most days...

For the umpteenth time, it's not a mall.  It's 4 new hotels, plus a 5th renovated one, a convention center, an amusement park, residences, some sort of zoo/aquarium, a health and fitness center, Legoland, and, probably some other things I've forgotten.  It will be different from Festival and T21 and will likely, if successful, provide both with added customers, not fewer.

45 minutes ago, Leaver said:

With the Chinese and Indians, and to some extent the Russians, making up the majority of the tourists to Pattaya, these people can buy the products that are for sale in the Pattaya malls cheaper in their own home country than in Thailand, so why would they buy in the malls here?   

People don't shop in malls. It's all cheaper online. Traditional shopping malls are going bankrupt and being sold to Amazon as warehouses.

The people investing in these projects know this so they design and build tourist attractions, entertainment and restaurants. 

On 12/13/2021 at 6:26 AM, jacko45k said:

You would be happier in Europe or USA then surely..... plenty of large shopping malls. Many men don't particularly like shopping and hence being dragged around a Mall not their thing. 

Are you suggesting that I should travel to the USA or Europe to do my shopping? I live in Pattaya, so I prefer to do my shopping in Pattaya. When I came here there were no decent malls - but they arrived some years after I arrived, and I was happy about that. I did not come to live here for the malls.

No one drags me around a mall - I manage to do it on my own. Perhps you might have some slightly more intelligent comments to make if you feel you must reply?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, LarrySR said:

People don't shop in malls. It's all cheaper online. Traditional shopping malls are going bankrupt and being sold to Amazon as warehouses.

The people investing in these projects know this so they design and build tourist attractions, entertainment and restaurants. 

We're talking about malls in Pattaya and I guarantee if you visit one you will see a lot of people.

Is it possible that some people might shop in malls AND shop online? I can manage both - incredible as that may seem.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I can't take any recommendations or comments relating to intelligence from a man who likes Mall shopping!

Lol......Shopping malls are good for restaurants,movies,buying the odd item from the drug store,and once in a blue moon buying something from a shop.......Lazada and Shopee have really upped their game in the last 2-3 years, the selection is VAST and the prices are good....I now do the lion's share of my shopping online......

I think Thais are finally catching on to online shopping in large numbers..The malls are slowly turning into relics from the past....

Thailand and especially Bangkok and Pattaya absolutely DOES NOT NEED more malls.....  

3 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I think Thais are finally catching on to online shopping in large numbers..The malls are slowly turning into relics from the past....

The number of times a delivery vehicle comes up my cul-de-sac is testament to that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Lol......Shopping malls are good for restaurants,movies,buying the odd item from the drug store,and once in a blue moon buying something from a shop.......Lazada and Shopee have really upped their game in the last 2-3 years, the selection is VAST and the prices are good....I now do the lion's share of my shopping online......

Thailand and especially Bangkok and Pattaya absolutely DOES NOT NEED more malls.....  

Pattaya does not need more malls. People can survive with no malls at all. It's about what people want, not what they need. The people who finance these developments know a lot more about what Thai people want than you do... and during the busy tourist seasons, the malls are always packed with tourists too. It's surprising how much people who never visit malls seem to know so much about them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Of course, instead of shopping in malls, you spend most of your spare time trolling on a forum, including baiting people that shop in malls. Perhaps you should get a life. Visiting a mall would be a giant step up for you.

Once a week max..... weekly shop, ATM. Although my regular coffee stop is no  longer available to me, Black Canyon in BigCX, closed,  the note says temporarily for refurb. Most of the alternative coffee shops have too little sitting space for Covid times. 

So you split your time between Malls and reading posts on here? Come on now, going to the  Malls like a 14 year old girl. We can do better in Pattaya, even nowadays.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Once a week max..... weekly shop, ATM. Although my regular coffee stop is no  longer available to me, Black Canyon in BigCX, closed,  the note says temporarily for refurb. Most of the alternative coffee shops have too little sitting space for Covid times. 

So you split your time between Malls and reading posts on here? Come on now, going to the  Malls like a 14 year old girl. We can do better in Pattaya, even nowadays.

Not really. You didn't notice that my post frequency is very low? (It took a whole week to see your "why not shop in the USA or Europe" brilliant post and respond to it). I spend nearly all my time at home on the PC, but not on Thaivisa (ASEAN NOW). Shopping Malls can provide a welcome break. It has been over a week since I last visited one so I'm overdue for a mall trip. What you might want to do is take a break from this forum, even if you don't go out. Baiting and otherwise arguing with fellow forum members about such trivial matters as where they choose to shop is not a good sign that you're using your spare time wisely.

Now you're even suggesting that mall shopping is not a manly activity. Seriously? I suppose you're a macho cisgender alpha male living in the past with something to prove LOL. One hint, debating is not your strong suit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:45 AM, JensenZ said:

We're talking about malls in Pattaya and I guarantee if you visit one you will see a lot of people.

They were not busy, pre covid.  

Your guarantee doesn't hold much weight.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Are we still going on with this after a week's break? I see a lot of people in Central. A suprising amount actually.

What people call "busy" and "a lot" are subjective, so your comment carries no weight at all.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 12:31 AM, Leaver said:

This isn't necessarily true. Thailand has some of the cheapest prices in the world. For upper middle class Chinese, their area is probably more expensive. India has lots of bad tariff laws that make things expensive. Russia doesn't get the volume of  cheap stuff that a place like Thailand has

• Like 2

On 12/19/2021 at 1:21 AM, LarrySR said:

For all the hype around Amazon, there is still some demand for a real shopping experience, especially in tourist areas.

Mail ordering <deleted> isn't as new and exciting as ppl think. Catalog ordering has been around for 100 years. Its just that Amazon has a subsidy from the Federal reserve so it can deliver goods for no charge. But when we get back to the real world one day and there's no subsidy for Amazon, then things will balance out again

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:33 PM, treetops said:

Come on - as a neutral observer you're not exactly coming out of this one with any credibility.

However, that could be a clear indication you're as bad at it as the person in question. Your last post is evidence of that.

56 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

For all the hype around Amazon, there is still some demand for a real shopping experience, especially in tourist areas.

Mail ordering <deleted> isn't as new and exciting as ppl think. Catalog ordering has been around for 100 years. Its just that Amazon has a subsidy from the Federal reserve so it can deliver goods for no charge. But when we get back to the real world one day and there's no subsidy for Amazon, then things will balance out again

Online shopping is useful when you're buying things you cannot buy in a physical shop, but it can be a very troublesome experience (I do buy a lot of stuff online). It's hard to see the quality of clothing and all types of stuff when viewing photos online. Broken and/or damaged stuff arriving. Packages going missing. Customs duty and VAT. The wrong items arriving. Inferior quality arriving. Difficulty returning stuff. Clothes which don't fit (the wife buys a lot of clothes online and a lot of stuff never gets worn for many reasons which I won't bore people with here).Things that aren't as described. Waiting for refunds... the list goes on. It's not all fun and games and it will never replace the real shopping experience for most people (Mr Treetops excluded). If, however, I lived in the US where everything you need is already in the country, with cheap shipping, then online shopping would be a lot more pleasureable.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 3:26 PM, jacko45k said:

You would be happier in Europe or USA then surely..... plenty of large shopping malls. Many men don't particularly like shopping and hence being dragged around a Mall not their thing. 

The malls in Thailand are all about the bird watching, the food courts and the AC, all of which are delightful. 

By contrast malls in the US and elsewhere seem to be dead spaces, with no life, no character, poor food and fat women. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Are we still going on with this after a week's break? I see a lot of people in Central. A suprising amount actually.

What people call "busy" and "a lot" are subjective, so your comment carries no weight at all.

That's one mall. There are several in Pattaya, so how are ALL of them doing?

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The malls in Thailand are all about the bird watching, the food courts and the AC, all of which are delightful. 

By contrast malls in the US and elsewhere seem to be dead spaces, with no life, no character, poor food and fat women. 

Your last sentence describes NZ malls to a T. Their idea of a food court is a collection of commercial toxic waste fast food outlets.

You forgot to include cinemas. They also have cinemas in NZ malls, but in contrast to Thailand, one needs to be wealthy to be able to afford the prices.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes I must admit I have sat in a Pattaya Mall coffee shop doing exactly that..... but my favourite place is closed for refurbishment at this time.... (places to sit in malls are deliberately kept limited).

Another good place is the lobby area of the BHP, boy there are some lovely ladies  around there, but they don't like you hanging about drooling. 

Edited by jacko45k

12 hours ago, JensenZ said:

However, that could be a clear indication you're as bad at it as the person in question. Your last post is evidence of that.

Stop digging - you're making yourself look more lost with every post.  If you must respond, please read and understand what you're responding too.  You've made it obvious throughout this thread that you do not normally practice that, and carried on that trait to the end.

On 12/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, Leaver said:

Wrong, if we're talking about CF and T21.  They were very busy, pre-covid.  Others, like Harbor, The Bay, and Avenue, were not doing well, for a number of reasons.  

On 12/27/2021 at 12:22 AM, Harsh Jones said:

Amazon gets free delivery services from the Federal Reserve? LOL 

Online shopping breached the 20% mark this year and is increasing every year. Took my girl to Central Festival to buy her a present for Christmas. Looked at small appliances like coffee makers, air fryer etc.

She made her choice after the salesman described the products.....she ordered online.  

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Amazon gets free delivery services from the Federal Reserve? LOL 

Online shopping breached the 20% mark this year and is increasing every year. Took my girl to Central Festival to buy her a present for Christmas. Looked at small appliances like coffee makers, air fryer etc.

She made her choice after the salesman described the products.....she ordered online.  

Nope. Amazon is able to add percs like free delivery because it operates on an almost permanent loss. And how can it keep going that way ? Because of cheap capital. Take away the cheap capital (interest rates above zero) and the whole business doesn't work.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmarkman/2017/05/23/the-amazon-era-no-profits-no-problem/?sh=64828d35437a

On 12/27/2021 at 12:18 AM, Harsh Jones said:

This isn't necessarily true. Thailand has some of the cheapest prices in the world. For upper middle class Chinese, their area is probably more expensive. India has lots of bad tariff laws that make things expensive. Russia doesn't get the volume of  cheap stuff that a place like Thailand has

Is Pattaya even attracting upper and middle class Chinese, Indians, and Russian?  Why would upper class from anywhere come to Pattaya?  

I don't see the Chinese flag followers in the malls here.  

Edited by Leaver