Pattaya to get huge new beachside development

Jonathan Fairfield

40 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Interesting TAT is targeting tourists that can't afford to shop in them.

There are more than 2 malls here.  I guess that's bad luck for the other ones. 

Nah. 

Pattaya Beach can't attract high end tourists, no matter how much repair they do.  You need to understand this. 

Sure, but does that mean they will be successful?

This is a high end development, isn't it?

How was their occupancy rate, pre covid? 

Perhaps you should Google "globalisation" and educate yourself.

Another year, another post from you restating the same old nonsense.  When you get a chance, Google hamburger shops in Orlando and educate yourself.  Hint:  You'll find more than just McDonald's.  Much more.

Parts of Aquatique might be higher-end, nothing wrong with that.  But is Legoland, an aquarium, a zoo, a convention center, and other amusements high-end?  It looks like it will have elements that will appeal to different tourist groups--a good thing.  Also a good thing to have some more regular amusements on the beach.

Pattaya Beach, despite your disparaging it, is already attracting the type of visitors that stay at Dusit, Amari, Mytt, Ozo, Hilton, Mercure, Grande Centre Point, Holiday Inn, and others.   That's one of the tourist demographics you seek, not a few millionaires.  

In any case, once again you missed my point.  As I said before, a large beach tourist city like Pattaya should be appealing to all strata of tourists, with all types of accommodations at a variety of price levels--which Pattaya has. 

'How was their occupancy rate, pre-covid?', you ask.  Why don't you call up, say, Grande Centre Point and ask them?  While you're on the line, ask them why in the World they are building Grande Centre Point 2 across the street?   Why in the World would they build a huge second hotel that will be in competition with the first hotel???  Inquiring minds like yours, I'm sure, want to know.

But, enough of that.  Brace yourself.  If you're not already sitting down, do so, because this is going to hit you hard.  Very hard.   Little Chanthaburi, population 28,000, is getting a huge mall being built by Central Group.  300 stores, at a cost of 3.5 billion baht.  Looks big from the construction photos posted. 

You might want to take to your bed with a cold compress because it's likely curtains for the local Chanthaburi Robinson's.  Poor thing.  RIP.  Or, maybe Central knows something, since it also owns Robinson's.  Well, hmm, that's vexing.  You might give them a call, as well, and relay your deep concerns regarding competition and over-building.  Don't forget to ask them, as you always do with Pattaya, what if a third mall is built? 

So, little Chanthaburi, one large mall, plus the Robinson's shopping center.   Pattaya has about 4 times the population.  Seems reasonable for it to have 2 large malls, plus some smaller shopping centers.  And, the proposed Aquatique, not a mall.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

No historical buildings

No amazing temples

Nothing scenic

No wildlife

No forest

Very lame beaches

Dirty ocean water

Nothing spectacular or Amazing at all here....ZERO

Harsh... I might counter with 'all the buildings are historic'

Plenty of noteworthy temples in surrounding areas.... anyhow, seen one, seen them all. An example, Wat Krating Rai.

Wildlife is on Walking St at 3am.

Scenic View from Pratumnak Hill, or Sanctuary of Truth.

Forest.... just out of town.

Beaches are pretty good in Jomtien, Koh Larn and Bang Saray. 

Dirty Water, much improved.

All that and shopping malls!

• Like 1

I usually don't post after 10 pages of posts but i'll put my cents worth here: the fact that it is planned doesn't mean it will, this type of monstrosities projects take years to plan and even more to build, we're talking years from now and with this Covid/Delta/Omicron/god knows what else is coming upon us situation anything and everything can derail postpone or shrink such plans... and if they build it will they come?...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I usually don't post after 10 pages of posts but i'll put my cents worth here: the fact that it is planned doesn't mean it will, this type of monstrosities projects take years to plan and even more to build, we're talking years from now and with this Covid/Delta/Omicron/god knows what else is coming upon us situation anything and everything can derail postpone or shrink such plans... and if they build it will they come?...

Only 10 pages......We can surely do 100 pages.....With one side saying this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the other side saying this will be the greatest disaster since the Titanic.....

I personally lean heavily on the Titanic side... 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I think the project, itself, is planned to be done in phases so not all of it will be done at once.  You're right that some of it might change as it is developed.   It might be that they start with the Grand Sole Hotel renovation and rebranding since that building is already in place and ready to go.  I don't think '...we're talking years from now...' before something gets started.  Grande Centre Point 2 was announced and it got going pretty quickly around the start of covid.  It's now nearing completion.   

Several other projects also moved fairly quickly, including Edge Condo, the new hotel across from CF, Once condo, Copacabana, the new parking garage at T21, and the two new Riviera projects.  Arom condo on Wong Amat Beach was also announced around the start of covid and one of their billboards says construction has started, a fairly fast start for a new condo project.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Only 10 pages......We can surely do 100 pages.....With one side saying this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the other side saying this will be the greatest disaster since the Titanic.....

I personally lean heavily on the Titanic side... 

I don't think anyone, including me, is saying this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I do think it will be a nice asset for Pattaya, with some of the components, such as the convention center and the entertainment and amusement elements, being both needed and good additions to that part of Pattaya Beach.

In an earlier post you disparaged pretty much everything about Pattaya.  In a nutshell, Pattaya is a 'zero', with nothing to offer.  If that's the case, why be against something that might improve Pattaya?  If nothing else, the aquarium and zoo components might partially scratch off the 'no wildlife' complaint on your list.  

Foe me, give me the Pattaya of the '80 anytime... small, and compact but boy, what action were to be had there, one big party day and night, tones of bars, girls galore ( and later boys galore) laughingly cheap prices of everything, from hotels, drinks, girls and food, paradise on earth for all kind of outsiders and the locals did very well out it too...And now, with the mega billions developments, will it feel the same? i doubted it very much...

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 5:43 PM, anchadian said:

Whatever plans they might have for Pattaya, it will always be a hookers paradise.

Now that's a fact.

Hopefully. And all this nonsense  about kids and Peppa  the pig and lego land will disappear. I know  just the anodyne  resort the authorites  plan and I've  seen it in China. Hainan. A colourless, mediocre  nightmare.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Hopefully. And all this nonsense  about kids and Peppa  the pig and lego land will disappear. I know  just the anodyne  resort the authorites  plan and I've  seen it in China. Hainan. A colourless, mediocre  nightmare.

Maybe but In Hainan unlike Pattaya there are alot more options with the coastal geography.  Yes this project is nonsense. May as well be in Kansas.

https://images.app.goo.gl/pFN8UBFvqmX7w8rH6

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Foe me, give me the Pattaya of the '80 anytime... small, and compact but boy, what action were to be had there, one big party day and night, tones of bars, girls galore ( and later boys galore) laughingly cheap prices of everything, from hotels, drinks, girls and food, paradise on earth for all kind of outsiders and the locals did very well out it too...And now, with the mega billions developments, will it feel the same? i doubted it very much...

The great Pattaya  you so accurately  describe  has gone for ever.

On 12/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, Leaver said:

You do realize Apple is the most valuable company in the world.  

You have picked one of the most successful companies in history to make your point.  How many customers did you see in other shops, on each visit?  

Who's  stressed? 

I haven't invested in any of them, the same way I have put nothing into Thailand I can't leave behind and head straight to the airport, should I want to, or need to.  This is by design.

Your words, "while it is" sums it up.  While the stores are still open, enjoy, because they may not be there in the future.  

The malls IMO will survive because the mall owners don't own the individual stores- they rent the space. Therefore, they only need a constant stream of small shop owners renting, even if they go broke and have to leave.

I don't have any figures, but I'd expect the attrition rate to be high. The small shops seemed to change quite regularly.

The malls could look busy, as people like I would go there to eat at the food court, see a movie, buy some groceries etc.

No point in looking at popular shops like Apple or Power Buy. Need to look at the little watch shop I liked that vanished because not enough customers.

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The malls IMO will survive because the mall owners don't own the individual stores- they rent the space. Therefore, they only need a constant stream of small shop owners renting, even if they go broke and have to leave.

I don't have any figures, but I'd expect the attrition rate to be high. The small shops seemed to change quite regularly.

The malls could look busy, as people like I would go there to eat at the food court, see a movie, buy some groceries etc.

No point in looking at popular shops like Apple or Power Buy. Need to look at the little watch shop I liked that vanished because not enough customers.

Most big malls like Central Festival are not made up of 'small shop owners', although they do have some, plus the kiosks.  Big malls are mostly made up of chains--both for stores, restaurants, movie theaters, banks, pharmacies, and services.   Whether I am at Central Festival Pattaya or Rama 9 Mall in Bangkok, there's Uniqlo, H&M, Power Buy, all the same banks, True, AIS, Fuji, Pizza Company, Boots, Daiso, Zen, Sketchers, SF Cinema, etc., etc.  If it's a chain at one, it's likely to be at the other.  

Terminal 21 is a bit different from most traditional malls as it has made the effort to set itself apart with its travel theme concept and it does have a larger number of independent shops on the side aisles.  The main aisles still carry mostly chains.  You're correct that it's the little shop owners that are more likely to be changing hands, rather than the better-financed chains with their established customer bases.  A 'little watch shop' going out of business will have little impact on a mall--and, at some point, another little shop will take its place.  That's business.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:29 PM, newnative said:

Most big malls like Central Festival are not made up of 'small shop owners',

Tell that to MBK!

Probably the best mall in Thailand, and certainly has the best totty.

I do not speak as to the present reality, as covid obviously changed many things so it could be different now.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tell that to MBK!

Probably the best mall in Thailand, and certainly has the best totty.

I do not speak as to the present reality, as covid obviously changed many things so it could be different now.

Yes, of course, there are exceptions.  One of my favorite shopping centers is JJ Mall.  I like all the independent antique, housewares, and art shops.   

On 1/2/2022 at 3:58 AM, newnative said:

In any case, once again you missed my point.  As I said before, a large beach tourist city like Pattaya should be appealing to all strata of tourists, with all types of accommodations at a variety of price levels--which Pattaya has. 

Seriously?

Pattaya has a beach that would appeal to tourists in preference to any number of actually nice beaches on Thai islands? LOL!

Pattaya beach appeals to those that like to sit under an umbrella and eat, drink and chat, but hardly to foreign swimmers.

The appeal of Pattaya was always the night life, not the polluted sea, the broken infrastructure, the appalling traffic ( only going to get worse if this new build actually attracts as many as they want ).

Pattaya could become a real international beach resort, but not with the present administration, IMO, and I doubt anything will change there, as their priority is apparently not to make the city a better place, for the usual reasons.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously?

Pattaya has a beach that would appeal to tourists in preference to any number of actually nice beaches on Thai islands? LOL!

Pattaya beach appeals to those that like to sit under an umbrella and eat, drink and chat, but hardly to foreign swimmers.

The appeal of Pattaya was always the night life, not the polluted sea, the broken infrastructure, the appalling traffic ( only going to get worse if this new build actually attracts as many as they want ).

Pattaya could become a real international beach resort, but not with the present administration, IMO, and I doubt anything will change there, as their priority is apparently not to make the city a better place, for the usual reasons.

I disagree. People brought up miles from the sea would appreciate the proximity of it, along with the beaches. You cannot simply say the appeal of Pattaya is ONLY the nightlife... for me it was that AND the nearby beaches.... otherwise people would stay longer term in Bangkok. I used to do 2 nights on the way in and off to Pattaya .... Bangkok soon gets old.

Traffic didn't bother me much as a tourist... getting through Bangkok was more a concern in Don Mueng days... now that isn't. Used  to zap around Pattaya on a motorcycle from hotel to beaches, and go on foot and baht buses at night. Traffic is only a problem getting in and out and again easier than Bangkok.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously?

As I said in a previous post, Pattaya's beach is already attracting domestic visitors on weekends and for special events.  They come in sufficient numbers to keep the large hotels open: Dusit, Grande Centre Point, Hilton, Ozo, Holiday Inn, Amari, Mytt, Cape Dara, Mercure, A-01, and others.  A number of the smaller, boutique hotels have also re-opened.  

They are coming when, let's remember, a lot of the night life has not yet re-opened.  Two large, new highrise hotels are nearing completion in north Pattaya, with a third about done across from Central Festival.  You are not here so you're not witnessing any of this. 

Pattaya already is a 'real international beach resort'.  Mastercard ranked it #15 in the World.  You, and some others, are not seeing anything other than the night life to attract you but, obviously, you are in the minority, both in your view point and in the tourist demographic you represent.  There seems to be a disconnect with a couple of your thoughts:  Sans night life, nothing here anybody would want to visit--but, at the same time, the traffic is 'appalling'.  

The city could be doing more but it has been doing some things--the big beach improvement,  the overhead wires starting to be buried, lots of road improvements, the large new parking garage partnership with T21, and others.  But, frankly, most of this is the result of the private sector, not the public.  Private companies making the big investment in nice, new things like the two new water parks, T21, other new attractions such as Legend Siam, all the new hotels and condominiums, etc.  And, this proposed new project, Aquatique.  

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously?

Pattaya could become a real international beach resort, 

Let's not run the beach and water down too much. So I'm a native coastal Californian and although there is really nothing for me to do in the water here. Swimming laps does not get it for me. Just being on the coast with the longview is a major plus, I wouldn't even stay in Pattaya if not on the coast. Now about this project: they can build all the malls in the world here but with out a nice walking , shopping, dining environment right on the water it is not going to happen. Also take a round trip along beach Rd and back second Rd. So much degraded buildings , a very bad scene. Is building another first world mall on top of this third world mess that is Pattaya city going to get it ??  It would be more beneficial and attractive in terms of international seaside resort standing to take care of the mess at street level. Just because the Thais dont care or complain doesn't mean the international community would put up with it

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

Let's not run the beach and water down too much. So I'm a native coastal Californian and although there is really nothing for me to do in the water here. Swimming laps does not get it for me. Just being on the coast with the longview is a major plus, I wouldn't even stay in Pattaya if not on the coast. Now about this project: they can build all the malls in the world here but with out a nice walking , shopping, dining environment right on the water it is not going to happen. Also take a round trip along beach Rd and back second Rd. So much degraded buildings , a very bad scene. Is building another first world mall on top of this third world mess that is Pattaya city going to get it ??  It would be more beneficial and attractive in terms of international seaside resort standing to take care of the mess at street level. Just because the Thais dont care or complain doesn't mean the international community would put up with it

Aquatique is not a mall, just for the record.  You mention the 'degraded buildings' on 2nd Road.  One of the components of Aquatique is the remodeling and rebranding of one of those degraded buildings, Grand Sole Hotel.  The company doing Aquatique also owns the large tract of dilapidated property to the north of Grand Sole; hopefully, this tract will also figure in their plans at some point.  I feel improvements such as this are positive for Pattaya, especially since Aquatique will have a number of components not currently offered on Pattaya Beach, with, hopefully, some of the flavor and fun of Asiatique.  

On 11/26/2021 at 5:40 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

Anyone who knows anything about Pattaya waters understands what utter nonsense this is. The WORST kind of misleading advertisement.

bs!.jpeg

I have reason to believe the "twin-towers" right above the fish is more misleading than the fish...

If you think that tourists are attracted to a 3rd world location with a veneer coat of 2nd world appeal, then you are severely out of step with reality. There is poor and unreliable electricity, inconsistent water supply, and poor cable TV channel viewing to be had here. And complaints to the police go nowhere. And these are the high points. Shopping at over priced, or simply the same prices as what you'd pay at home shops, is NOT a magnet for tourists. Pattaya and Thailand used to be a good value, and brought in people in huge and increasing numbers over the years. But era ended 3-5 years ago, before Covid. Except for Thai families coming to escape BKK, I don't believe that the number of visitors will return to the pre-Covid levels for a decade or more. My advice for the planners of this city are simple. Become the Amsterdam of SE Asia. Promote an adult adventure, not a family one. Open casinos, promote a well maintained Red Light district, and openly allow for legal 420 activities. If you are looking to make big money here, promote what the people enjoy. Give them what they want and they will flock here. To quote a movie, "If you build it, they will come".

On 1/1/2022 at 9:58 PM, newnative said:

Another year, another post from you restating the same old nonsense. 

Once again, I don't disagree with you it's going to be a nice resort.  However, I just see this development as being so big that it could, in effect, have a monopoly, therefore, having severe effects on its surrounds, and the greater Central Pattaya area. 

When you get a chance, Google hamburger shops in Orlando and educate yourself.  Hint:  You'll find more than just McDonald's.  Much more.

Why?  

This is a Pattaya / Thailand forum.

Perhaps you should Google "Globalization."  

Parts of Aquatique might be higher-end, nothing wrong with that.  But is Legoland, an aquarium, a zoo, a convention center, and other amusements high-end?  It looks like it will have elements that will appeal to different tourist groups--a good thing.  Also a good thing to have some more regular amusements on the beach.

Sure, but once again, a lot of other businesses in Central Pattaya will go broke because of the size and scale of this development.

I agree with you that a development like this should not be held back because of the mediocrity of Pattaya, but this development has the ability to to make commercial premises surrounding it an urban wasteland.  

I know you believe those premises will be tenanted with some other type of businesses, but they very well may sit vacant and derelict.  I gave the example of the gym.  I'll probably join, same with my friends, and possibly many others.  Many of the gyms around Pattaya go broke.  What business would you propose can fill some of those empty gyms, more nightclubs and bars?

Pattaya Beach, despite your disparaging it, is already attracting the type of visitors that stay at Dusit, Amari, Mytt, Ozo, Hilton, Mercure, Grande Centre Point, Holiday Inn, and others. 

Don't confuse a terrible beach with a thriving sex trade and nice hotels.

I disagree. 

Pattaya is famous for its adult nightlife.  Indeed, there is no other place on the planet like it.  Sex tourism has served Pattaya well for many decades, and made many people very wealthy. 

It's when the TAT started misleading families, many from Russia, and started targeting cheap package Chinese holiday makers, that Pattaya awkwardly placed itself in the tourism market. 

They were trying to sell a cultural and tropical holiday to tourists, in the middle of the biggest red light area on the planet.  It was never going to work.  

'How was their occupancy rate, pre-covid?', you ask.  Why don't you call up, say, Grande Centre Point and ask them?  While you're on the line, ask them why in the World they are building Grande Centre Point 2 across the street?   Why in the World would they build a huge second hotel that will be in competition with the first hotel???  Inquiring minds like yours, I'm sure, want to know.

Once again, you think just because they build it, the people will come and it will be successful and profitable.  Plenty of white elephants in Pattaya.  

Pattaya Beach is terrible.  It's laughable you suggest it can attract middleclass and high end tourism. 

Brace yourself.  If you're not already sitting down, do so, because this is going to hit you hard.  Very hard.   Little Chanthaburi, population 28,000, is getting a huge mall being built by Central Group.  300 stores, at a cost of 3.5 billion baht.  Looks big from the construction photos posted. 

Take a deep breath, steady yourself for the information I am about to tell you - this is the Pattaya forum.  

Pattaya has about 4 times the population.  Seems reasonable for it to have 2 large malls, plus some smaller shopping centers. 

I'll ask you for about the fifth time.  How many malls do you think Pattaya can support?  Seven, eight, ten, how many?  Would your comments be along the same theme if mall number ten was being announced, for example?

Now, let's add hotels to that question.  Just how many do you think Pattaya can support?  Once again, if the construction of large hotels puts many smaller hotels and guesthouses out of business, what will become of those vacant buildings, particularly as hotel buildings have a very specific use, and are not easily repurposed..  

You may argue they will be bulldozed, and they very well may be, but what will be built to take their place, more hotels, more bars? 

There was a lot of dividing of land back in the 80's, and commercial premises built.  What will become of these small premises?  For the record, I don't really care what happens to them, but merely stating they will sit vacant and derelict, and give Central Pattaya the appearance of an urban slum. 

Will a city full of small empty buildings attract tourists?   

On 1/4/2022 at 10:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

How many malls will they build, before it becomes obvious that all the malls will struggle?  There has to be a limit.

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Once again, I don't disagree with you it's going to be a nice resort.  However, I just see this development as being so big that it could, in effect, have a monopoly, therefore, having severe effects on its surrounds, and the greater Central Pattaya area. 

Why?  

This is a Pattaya / Thailand forum.

Perhaps you should Google "Globalization."  

Sure, but once again, a lot of other businesses in Central Pattaya will go broke because of the size and scale of this development.

I agree with you that a development like this should not be held back because of the mediocrity of Pattaya, but this development has the ability to to make commercial premises surrounding it an urban wasteland.  

I know you believe those premises will be tenanted with some other type of businesses, but they very well may sit vacant and derelict.  I gave the example of the gym.  I'll probably join, same with my friends, and possibly many others.  Many of the gyms around Pattaya go broke.  What business would you propose can fill some of those empty gyms, more nightclubs and bars?

Don't confuse a terrible beach with a thriving sex trade and nice hotels.

I disagree. 

Pattaya is famous for its adult nightlife.  Indeed, there is no other place on the planet like it.  Sex tourism has served Pattaya well for many decades, and made many people very wealthy. 

It's when the TAT started misleading families, many from Russia, and started targeting cheap package Chinese holiday makers, that Pattaya awkwardly placed itself in the tourism market. 

They were trying to sell a cultural and tropical holiday to tourists, in the middle of the biggest red light area on the planet.  It was never going to work.  

Once again, you think just because they build it, the people will come and it will be successful and profitable.  Plenty of white elephants in Pattaya.  

Pattaya Beach is terrible.  It's laughable you suggest it can attract middleclass and high end tourism. 

Take a deep breath, steady yourself for the information I am about to tell you - this is the Pattaya forum.  

I'll ask you for about the fifth time.  How many malls do you think Pattaya can support?  Seven, eight, ten, how many?  Would your comments be along the same theme if mall number ten was being announced, for example?

Now, let's add hotels to that question.  Just how many do you think Pattaya can support?  Once again, if the construction of large hotels puts many smaller hotels and guesthouses out of business, what will become of those vacant buildings, particularly as hotel buildings have a very specific use, and are not easily repurposed..  

You may argue they will be bulldozed, and they very well may be, but what will be built to take their place, more hotels, more bars? 

There was a lot of dividing of land back in the 80's, and commercial premises built.  What will become of these small premises?  For the record, I don't really care what happens to them, but merely stating they will sit vacant and derelict, and give Central Pattaya the appearance of an urban slum. 

Will a city full of small empty buildings attract tourists?   

I had you google hamburger shops in Orlando because you said in an earlier post that McDonalds had put all the other hamburger shops in Orlando out of business.  As you keep saying, you think the same thing will happen here.  But, McDonalds did not put all the other hamburger shops out of business in Orlando so it was not your strongest argument.  Today's assignment: List all the businesses that will, in your words, 'go broke' if Aquatique is built.  And, why.  Use blue-black ink and, yes, neatness counts.  You may begin.

You keep harping on malls but, once again, Aquatique is not a mall.  (It's not a 'resort', either.)  It will have a Legoland.  What other Legolands on Beach Road will it put out of business?  Ditto for the aquarium, the zoo, the convention center, the health and wellness component, etc.  It's bringing new things to the beach area--a good thing.  I have no idea what you are going on about with the 'gym' business.  I don't think a wellness center is a gym.  But, if there is a gym, nothing wrong with that.  Your statement, totally unsupported,  that a gym opening will mean 'Many of the gyms around town go broke' is too ridiculous for words.  Didn't you already try that argument, unsuccessfully, with McDonald's, by the way?

Your view that Pattaya's beach is 'terrible' and Pattaya does not have anything to offer visitors not interested in 'sex tourism' is not supported by the evidence--and you present none.   Mastercard had it as its 15th most popular destination in the World.   Your view of Pattaya's changing tourist demographics and TAT's role is also quite laughable.  No response, by the way, with your assignment to call Grande Centre Point and find out what their pre-covid occupancy rate was.  Ditto as to why Grande Centre Point is building the massive Grande Centre Point 2 right across the street.  I wonder if they forgot to google your nonsense 'Globilization'.

Yes, this is the Pattaya forum.  That doesn't mean I can't mention facts from elsewhere that are relevant.  Any time you find information inconvenient to your argument, out comes 'this is the Pattaya forum.'  You managed to use it twice with your latest post.  Your main point seems to be questioning how many malls Pattaya can support.  Aquatique is not a mall but I made the point that a much smaller town will soon have 2 big malls so it's not a stretch for Pattaya to also have 2 big malls, as well as some smaller shopping centers.  But, again not really relevant to the Aquatique project since it's not a mall but you keep bringing it up.

No evidence given by you as to why this development will result in the surrounding area becoming, in your words, an 'urban wasteland'.  (Let's ignore that part of the land is empty and part of it already contains closed enterprises.)   The concrete evidence is exactly the opposite.  Terminal 21 and Grande Centre Point came to town and the area around it did not become an 'urban wasteland'.  Instead, it's now an even more desirable area--in my opinion the most desirable area in town.  And, sure to become even more desirable when Centre Point 2 and the other large, new hotel under construction open.  Aquatique, if built, will bring another enhancement, and add more desired elements--especially entertainment--to that part of Pattaya.