Pattaya to get huge new beachside development

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Over the many years I've been posting on this forum, I've referred to Pattaya as a dump, and celebrated it's "dumpness" as that kept the families and single western women away. Pattaya may have been a dump, but it was a fun place for single western guys like me. Going upmarket attracts families and single western women, and they cause pressure to stop Pattaya being a fun place and become just another overbuilt concrete <deleted> like any other city in Thailand. Anyone been to Hua Hin or Chiang Mai knows what I'm talking about.

Sooooo, it's families and single western women that will ruin Pattaya, not it being a dump.

Sooooo, to sum up, Central Festival ruined the fun dump that once was Pattaya, according to your previous post.   But, in this post, it's '...families and single western women that will ruin Pattaya...'.   Wait, I thought it was already ruined by Festival?  Oh, well.  Let's just blame them all.  Hold on, maybe include me, as well.  I've been shopping and dining at Festival regularly since 2010.  Likely I helped contribute to its success--which led to more 'ruin' with T21.  Uh-oh.  Plenty of blame to go around, I guess.

Meanwhile, color me happy that Pattaya is attracting a more diverse visitor demographic.  And, as a full-time resident, I welcome all the new development that makes living here quite nice.  Maybe take a gander at JensenZ's terrific post.  I'm a cheer leader, too.

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Sooooo, to sum up, Central Festival ruined the fun dump that once was Pattaya, according to your previous post.   But, in this post, it's '...families and single western women that will ruin Pattaya...'.   Wait, I thought it was already ruined by Festival?  Oh, well.  Let's just blame them all.  Hold on, maybe include me, as well.  I've been shopping and dining at Festival regularly since 2010.  Likely I helped contribute to its success--which led to more 'ruin' with T21.  Uh-oh.  Plenty of blame to go around, I guess.

Meanwhile, color me happy that Pattaya is attracting a more diverse visitor demographic.  And, as a full-time resident, I welcome all the new development that makes living here quite nice.  Maybe take a gander at JensenZ's terrific post.  I'm a cheer leader, too.

I really don't get why people like you want to live in Pattaya anyway. Isn't there some boring <deleted><deleted> place you'd rather live than wanting to change an established fun place to a boring <deleted><deleted> place?

Anyway, this is just a circular argument, so no point continuing, but I hope Pattaya confounds all the wannabe changers and remains a fun place even if a dump. Actually, regardless of how many new buildings are erected, I suspect the city will remain a dump, even if it does stop being fun.

20 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Well the Russian families seem fine with the old Pattaya...And the Chinese and Indian families mostly keep to themselves.....But your right western families and especially single western women will be the death of Pattaya.....Single western women love nothing more than to go to a place like Pattaya and start screeching to the world what a disgusting place it is,and how all bar girls are victims..... 

Well that was in the heady, busy days and I regarded it as Thailand, rather than improving the product, were courting the less discerning market. I believe people living in winter Moscow, would go anywhere warm they could scratch up the money for. 

The authorities are now actively pushing Pattaya  to change, instead of the old lip service about high end tourists.....we get places  they do not approve of not being allowed to open. . I think Pattaya fun has a limited life left, hopefully it will simply move over the main Rd or out of town. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, I and probably millions of western men want Pattaya to remain what it was in the 90s.

Weren't you suppose to be on the dock waving?  Oh, right.  That ship has sailed.  But, actually, pre-covid, there were still plenty of bars--some had just shifted to other parts of town as Pattaya grew.  A big bar complex opened some years ago in Jomtien next to Kiss restaurant, for example.  Not my thing but likely there's still some nightlife to be found in Pattaya. 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I really don't get why people like you want to live in Pattaya anyway. Isn't there some boring <deleted><deleted> place you'd rather live than wanting to change an established fun place to a boring <deleted><deleted> place?

Anyway, this is just a circular argument, so no point continuing, but I hope Pattaya confounds all the wannabe changers and remains a fun place even if a dump. Actually, regardless of how many new buildings are erected, I suspect the city will remain a dump, even if it does stop being fun.

Asked and answered already as to why I live here but, yes, I think we have both made the points we wanted to make.  It's an absolutely gorgeous morning here--lovely blue sky, nice breeze and temperature.  I shall enjoy my day and I hope yours is great, too.  

On 12/6/2021 at 10:00 AM, newnative said:

No response?  Page back up; I've given a number of responses.   But, they've all fallen on deaf ears.  You don't want to hear it.  Example.  Your ludicrous claim that there were closed stores at Central Festival, even before covid, and that means the mall was not doing well.  (Let's ignore your even more ludicrous claim that the only stores getting any foot traffic were the banks and telcos.  Also ignored, the even more preposterous claim that the rest of the foot traffic in the mall was people using Festival as a shortcut to the beach.)

My response was that stores closing at a mall was normal and one should not automatically see that as the mall failing.  To illustrate my point, I used the example of the Tysons mall in the US, one of the most successful malls with one of the best sales per sq. foot.  Even this very successful mall, I said, had store turnover.  A store would close and, in due time, another would open in its place.  Perfectly normal.  Some business work, some don't--even at a very popular, successful mall.

Your response?  What is the relevance of a mall in the US?  If you can't see or pretend not to see the relevance, you are either incapable of reason or a troll.  Likely the latter.  It was the same when I tried to explain synergy in the tourist business to you and used Orlando as a very good example.  Your response again?  Orlando is in the US what does that have to do with Thailand.

Obviously, if that is always going to be your response, what's the point?  By the way, owning a property does not automatically confer on you any knowledge of the real estate business.  I own a car but buying it did not automatically confer on me any knowledge as to how it works and how to fix it.  Same with my tv.  Your statement saying all the thousands of condos for sale are competition for my selling a condo is the best example of your lack of knowledge.  I could explain, and did in a post sometime ago, but it would likely once again fall on deaf ears.  

As you constantly compare Pattaya to Orlando, and Tyson's, I'll give you a simple example, hopefully one you can understand.

Remember the shops selling hamburgers in Orlando?  There were many, I'm sure, which gave consumers variety, as each shop made their burgers a little differently to the others.

Then, along comes McDonalds to Orlando, which was no doubt, successful, so successful to the point that it put all the other hamburger shops out of business.  Basically, globalization, but on a micro level for Orlando..

This development is like the McDonalds of the day in Orlando.  It very well may be a success, but I have asked you many times, and you have refused to address the question, what of the lost investment in similar businesses elsewhere?  Does their money not count when discussing "investment in Pattaya?"  

I do see your point, and I am not arguing whether this development will be successful, or not, as it very well may be a big success.  You initial post, some pages ago, was words to the effect "this development is a good investment in Pattaya."    It is this that I questioned.  Once again, when you used the word "investment" that relates to money, cash, baht, the folding stuff etc, not the bricks and mortar.  

A development of this size and scale will no doubt see several businesses in Central Pattaya close, some small, some big, but close they will.  Your argument is, other businesses will take their place in those vacant shops.  My argument is, just how many Levi's jeans shops, for example, can Pattaya support? 

Considering Central, T21, and this development, will all be in close proximity, I can't see Levi's having a shop in all of them.  So if Levi's moves into this development, what becomes of their shop in Central?  You say some other business will go in there, and that may be the case for some vacant shops, but many will remain closed.  This was happening pre covid.   

I don't know what percentage of tenants Central and T21 need to keep the lights on, and you can forget about a return to investors.  Say it's 50% occupancy to remain in operation.  That's a half dead mall to me, with certain floors being closed off, gathering dust, to create the illusion of a thriving mall.  That's a big loss to "investors."        

I exercise regularly.  I have no doubt this development will have a health and fitness centre.  It will be big, new, air conditioned, have many of the latest machines, sauna, spas, cafe etc etc attached.  It will be the best gym in Pattaya.  They will probably have a promotion period which will last 12 months and offer a great price.  Many, if not most, of the members of surrounding gyms will join. 

Is having a great gym in Pattaya a good thing, of course it is.  Will I join, most probably.  Will many of the other gyms in the area go broke, definitely.  So, once again, I ask you, what becomes of the "INVESTMENT" in the other gyms?  What becomes of the vacant gym buildings around Pattaya? 

I see their lost "investment" and vacant premises.  You just see a new great gym in Pattaya, and that's fine, when discussing the building, the structure, the machines etc, but your word, initially, was "investment" and I merely pointed out a development of this size will see other businesses around it, big and small, either lose their investment, or see its value significantly decreased. 

As for your comment about the thousands of condo's on the market for sale here not having an impact on the value of yours, should you want to sell, it's simple supple and demand market forces. 

Whether or not people can hold out for the price they want is irrelevant.  "Time on market" even pre covid was ridiculously long, unless listed at an absolute fire sale price, and, the whole time properties were listed they keep building more and more. 

There are other factors at play as well, like the Thai's reluctance to buy second hand property.  I simply disagree with you there was, pre covid, a thriving property market here.  In my opinion, there is a massive over supply.  

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

As you constantly compare Pattaya to Orlando, and Tyson's, I'll give you a simple example, hopefully one you can understand.

Remember the shops selling hamburgers in Orlando?  There were many, I'm sure, which gave consumers variety, as each shop made their burgers a little differently to the others.

Then, along comes McDonalds to Orlando, which was no doubt, successful, so successful to the point that it put all the other hamburger shops out of business.  Basically, globalization, but on a micro level for Orlando..

This development is like the McDonalds of the day in Orlando.  It very well may be a success, but I have asked you many times, and you have refused to address the question, what of the lost investment in similar businesses elsewhere?  Does their money not count when discussing "investment in Pattaya?"  

I do see your point, and I am not arguing whether this development will be successful, or not, as it very well may be a big success.  You initial post, some pages ago, was words to the effect "this development is a good investment in Pattaya."    It is this that I questioned.  Once again, when you used the word "investment" that relates to money, cash, baht, the folding stuff etc, not the bricks and mortar.  

A development of this size and scale will no doubt see several businesses in Central Pattaya close, some small, some big, but close they will.  Your argument is, other businesses will take their place in those vacant shops.  My argument is, just how many Levi's jeans shops, for example, can Pattaya support? 

Considering Central, T21, and this development, will all be in close proximity, I can't see Levi's having a shop in all of them.  So if Levi's moves into this development, what becomes of their shop in Central?  You say some other business will go in there, and that may be the case for some vacant shops, but many will remain closed.  This was happening pre covid.   

I don't know what percentage of tenants Central and T21 need to keep the lights on, and you can forget about a return to investors.  Say it's 50% occupancy to remain in operation.  That's a half dead mall to me, with certain floors being closed off, gathering dust, to create the illusion of a thriving mall.  That's a big loss to "investors."        

I exercise regularly.  I have no doubt this development will have a health and fitness centre.  It will be big, new, air conditioned, have many of the latest machines, sauna, spas, cafe etc etc attached.  It will be the best gym in Pattaya.  They will probably have a promotion period which will last 12 months and offer a great price.  Many, if not most, of the members of surrounding gyms will join. 

Is having a great gym in Pattaya a good thing, of course it is.  Will I join, most probably.  Will many of the other gyms in the area go broke, definitely.  So, once again, I ask you, what becomes of the "INVESTMENT" in the other gyms?  What becomes of the vacant gym buildings around Pattaya? 

I see their lost "investment" and vacant premises.  You just see a new great gym in Pattaya, and that's fine, when discussing the building, the structure, the machines etc, but your word, initially, was "investment" and I merely pointed out a development of this size will see other businesses around it, big and small, either lose their investment, or see its value significantly decreased. 

As for your comment about the thousands of condo's on the market for sale here not having an impact on the value of yours, should you want to sell, it's simple supple and demand market forces. 

Whether or not people can hold out for the price they want is irrelevant.  "Time on market" even pre covid was ridiculously long, unless listed at an absolute fire sale price, and, the whole time properties were listed they keep building more and more. 

There are other factors at play as well, like the Thai's reluctance to buy second hand property.  I simply disagree with you there was, pre covid, a thriving property market here.  In my opinion, there is a massive over supply.  

Please show me my post where I said, quoting you:   'This development is a good investment in Pattaya'.   It didn't sound like anything I would say so I checked and I couldn't find it.  I did find several times where I said developments like this are good for Pattaya.   That's quite a bit different than saying they are good investments.  About the only reference to investments I could find was one where I said investors always know going in there is risk in any investment.  So, all this time you've been questioning something I never said.  

Obviously, I have no idea whether Aquatique will be built and, if built, whether it will be a 'good investment' in Pattaya.  I do like that a number of the proposed elements of the project aren't currently offered on Pattaya Beach.   One other thing I have said is some businesses work and some don't.  True the World over.   That has not been my focus with my posts. If you re-read them, my point has consistently been that new developments such as this, along with Festival, T21, and many others, are good for Pattaya.   I remain of that opinion.  

Just as obviously, you still have not grasped the concept of synergy.  In your eyes, anything new is always a threat, never anything else but a threat.   One of something is good.  Two or more and the first guy is at risk.  Ask yourself sometime why so often you will see a half dozen new car dealers clustered in one area of town.  Hint:  Synergy.  And, a belief in their product. 

Right now, there is an auto show going on in Bangkok; dealers are showing their vehicles and taking orders.  With your reasoning, there should just be one dealer displaying and selling.  No threats; he'll have no competition.  Gotta be great, right?  But, how many people will make a special trip to visit an auto show with just one dealer?   With apologies to Gertrude Stein, there needs to be some 'there there'.   And, so it is with Pattaya as a beach tourist destination.  Aquatique, if built, will help put more 'there there'.  And, give more visitors a reason to visit.

Your example of McDonald's is just downright laughable.  According to you, McDonald's arrives in Orlando and, quoting you (unlike you, accurately), 'it put all the other hamburger shops out of business.'  Uh, no it didn't.  You really lose all credibility when you put out howlers like that.  I'll file that with all your ludicrous Central Festival claims.   And, finally, you remain clueless on real estate.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 7:50 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Well, I've never suggested that as I am fully aware that such people will be getting very, very rich, whether the projects succeed or fail. If they cared about Pattaya as a place to live in rather than to make money, they'd fix the pavements, and stop the scams. They don't do either, so that supports my case.

I wonder why you want to fundamentally change the character of Pattaya, as no one is forcing you to live there. Plenty of boring coastal places to live in LOS if one doesn't like men having fun.

Are you trying to back up your nonsensical arguments by suggesting that public works projects are equivalent to private developments?

I thought you lived up north. I've been living in Pattaya since 2005. Central Mall was complete in January 2009, so I had to suffer through 3 years without a real mall, but have lived 13 years in the post mall era. If they didn't build Central, I might have left long ago. I'm not complaining about Pattaya. You are. You want to change Pattaya and get rid of big city malls. You're living in the past. No one is forcing YOU to live in Pattaya (although I thought you weren't). No one is actually forcing you to visit these big malls which you detest. If this new development goes ahead, you'll have at least 2 years to pack your bags.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 9:22 AM, newnative said:

Weren't you suppose to be on the dock waving?  Oh, right.  That ship has sailed.  But, actually, pre-covid, there were still plenty of bars--some had just shifted to other parts of town as Pattaya grew.  A big bar complex opened some years ago in Jomtien next to Kiss restaurant, for example.  Not my thing but likely there's still some nightlife to be found in Pattaya. 

It's quite strange that Thaibeachlovers, likely an elderly expat, requires bars for fun. I'm sure many of us have been through a stage in life where bars were considered "fun"... talking to and socializing with uneducated bargirls does wear off. I'd lost interest in bars long before I came to Pattaya. Just because there's bars in Pattaya doesn't mean one has to be in them, just as one is not forced to visit shopping malls if that's not your thing. Thaibeachlovers hasn't thought for a moment that some of us might be happily married. Each to their own.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 9:10 AM, kinyara said:

Imagine if Central and T21 hadn't been built and Royal Garden and Mikes were still the only malls in the town centre, what a tired and <deleted> retail experience we would have compared to what's on offer these days. 

Royal Garden Mall was my goto mall for 3 years until Central opened. Mike's Mall is about the worst mall I've ever seen anywhere in the world. I've always hated the place, but no one forced me to visit, and I hardly ever did. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

so I had to suffer through 3 years without a real mall,

Oh how terrible!

But what exactly did you miss  that wasn't available in say Royal Garden or Tops or Friendship or Big-CX? I tend to use Big-CX mostly and when I think about it, it is the supermarket that I spend most time in. A quick visit to a bank branch, solely the ATM, and now and again a sit in a coffee shop. And when I think more, it is because it supplies somewhere to park the Truck (if I get there early) ...Central Festival is too hard to get to and that car park is a nightmare. 

What is the attraction of Malls? The Cinema?

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Oh how terrible!

But what exactly did you miss  that wasn't available in say Royal Garden or Tops or Friendship or Big-CX? I tend to use Big-CX mostly and when I think about it, it is the supermarket that I spend most time in. A quick visit to a bank branch, solely the ATM, and now and again a sit in a coffee shop. And when I think more, it is because it supplies somewhere to park the Truck (if I get there early) ...Central Festival is too hard to get to and that car park is a nightmare. 

I like big malls with lots of shops and choices of restaurants. Is there more to say? I attend with my wife too, and guess what she likes? Use your imagination. A lot of stuff you don't look at or even notice. I made it clear in a previous post, so I don't want repeat myself. 

It's not a one or the other choice to make. I do my grocery shopping at Big C Extra. I don't generally go to the big malls especially to grocery shop but often pick something up at Tops while I'm there.

There seems to be a lot of people in this thread poking fun at other people's choices of shopping preferences and trying to bend them to your own point of view. If you don't like big malls, don't go to them.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, champers said:

Is that still there? A new hotel; open I think; has taken up a lot of space at that location.

I'm not sure.  I haven't been up there for quite a while.  It was the pool I would put newbie friends onto if they were staying in a small place with no pool.  

It's probably no longer open to the public.  

22 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think you are wasting your time asking for capitalists to care about others. They worship only greed, IMO, and the losers can go to <deleted> for all they care.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Oh how terrible!

It was the cinema for me.

The added plus was that the quality of totty is generally higher in big malls.

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you are wasting your time asking for capitalists to care about others. They worship only greed, IMO, and the losers can go to <deleted> for all they care.

Well, we all know "Money Number One in Thailand" but without any proper town planning laws, with a view to sustainable tourism and tourist associated businesses, there is going to be a lot of vacant premises in Pattaya, both commercial and residential, and they continue to keep building more and more, and this has nothing to do with covid.  

This development could very well be a big success, but it could come at the cost of have "dead" malls, hotels, shops, gyms, zoo, restaurants, bars, nightclubs massage etc etc surrounding it. 

A development of this size and scale doesn't just cut the pie into smaller wedges, it takes a third of the whole pie for itself.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, newnative said:

So, you like the cinemas and the higher 'quality of totty' in big malls.  And, so, in want of either, off you go to take your business to a big mall, when a big mall suits your purposes.  Perhaps a mall like Central Festival.  Even though a bigger, better mall, built by capitalists, might result in less business at a smaller, inferior mall nearby, also built by capitalists.   Perhaps a mall like Avenue. 

Me, too, by the way.  Build a better mousetrap and I'll likely be a customer--and color me happy that someone is risking capital to build that better mousetrap.  Risking capital with the full knowledge that some businesses work and some don't.  Some will be richly rewarded, others not.  

From your earlier post, capitalists, in your words, 'worship only greed' and 'don't care about others'.  This post was commenting on Leaver's post lamenting (totally inaccurately) that bad 'ol uncaring McDonald's came to Orlando and put all the other hamburger shops out of business.  (Insert laughter here.)

So, which set of capitalists illustrated in the first paragraph should people who also consider themselves capitalists, 'care about'?  Should capitalists 'care about' their fellow capitalists that, for example, built the poorly designed and poorly managed Avenue shopping center?  Or, should they 'care about' the capitalists that saw something poorly done and said, "we can do better".  And, did. 

If there was an English language cinema that wasn't in a mall in Pattaya, or Chiang Mai, I'd have used it.

I didn't go to the mall specifically for the totty, but why not enjoy it if it's there?

If I posted my opinion of capitalists, I would draw the attention of those that we may not discuss, so I won't.

18 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I like big malls with lots of shops and choices of restaurants. Is there more to say?

You would be happier in Europe or USA then surely..... plenty of large shopping malls. Many men don't particularly like shopping and hence being dragged around a Mall not their thing. 

4 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Meh. Pattaya beach water isn't as dirty as the myth suggests

Before the beach water was absolutely filthy....As of a year or 2 ago the water is now just murky on a good day and dirty on a bad day....So yes the water quality has improved from horrid to not very good....

On 12/12/2021 at 3:50 PM, Leaver said:

Well, we all know "Money Number One in Thailand" but without any proper town planning laws, with a view to sustainable tourism and tourist associated businesses, there is going to be a lot of vacant premises in Pattaya, both commercial and residential, and they continue to keep building more and more, and this has nothing to do with covid.  

This development could very well be a big success, but it could come at the cost of have "dead" malls, hotels, shops, gyms, zoo, restaurants, bars, nightclubs massage etc etc surrounding it. 

A development of this size and scale doesn't just cut the pie into smaller wedges, it takes a third of the whole pie for itself.  

Nothing gets mindless shopping sheep with credit cards more excited than a new mall.......If this mall is ever built then Central Festival will be joining the already long list of empty Pattaya malls.......

Well if this monstrosity is ever built, at least it might have a decent food court...I use to love Central Festivals food court but it sucks big time now after the remodel, and most people agree with me because Central food court is all but empty most days...

Edited by redwood1

13 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Before the beach water was absolutely filthy....As of a year or 2 ago the water is now just murky on a good day and dirty on a bad day....So yes the water quality has improved from horrid to not very good....

Nonsense. You cant compare the water in Pattaya beach, with the size and population that it is, with some small island beach in the middle of nowhere. You have to compare it with any other equivalent sized cities beach water. Every beach side city has issues with street runoff. The biggest infrastructure project Pattaya ever did was the water treatment plants. Yet some ppl think there is no treatment plants at all.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Nonsense. You cant compare the water in Pattaya beach, with the size and population that it is, with some small island beach in the middle of nowhere. You have to compare it with any other equivalent sized cities beach water. Every beach side city has issues with street runoff. The biggest infrastructure project Pattaya ever did was the water treatment plants. Yet some ppl think there is no treatment plants at all.

Sir... I have gone swimming in Pattaya ocean water loads of times for years...Trust me.....The water was absolutely filthy.....But after the beach extension the water quality as improved to, just not good..