Required length of insurance?

Hi,

I will be entering Thailand on the stv visa. If my onward flight ticket shows i will be leaving Thailand after 30 days can i have an insurance policy to apply for Thailand pass that shows 30 days?  Or would it need to be the full 90 days as that is the length of time permitted to stay before any extensions on the visa?

Thanks

On 11/28/2021 at 6:32 AM, DrJack54 said:

Been trying to clarify answer to your question for days.

Seems that with your onward flight you would only need 30 day insurance.

This clearly is bit of a loophole as people will not be using that onward flight. 

Also seems from reports that you would be stamped in for the period that your visa allows. In OP case that would be 90 days.

I disagree. No loophole. He has 30 days insurance and he will be stamped in for 30 days. The type of visa is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That would also mean that folk re-entering with a non O-A or reentry permit with almost a year validity then they would need 12 months of insurance.

Correct and I know of cases where entering on a Non O-A or re-entry permit from an extension were only stamped in to the date of Insurance expiry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Stated with such confidence.

There are first hand reports to the contrary. 

That would also mean that folk re-entering with a non O-A or reentry permit with almost a year validity then they would need 12 months of insurance.

This has already been discussed and people eg R Barrow have pointed out the obvious issues. 

Stated with 100% confidence after a year advising on the 3 main Facebook help groups. RB only stated that its not written anywhere. I can assure you from many many examples that If you have an OA, OX, STV and extension of stay based on Retirement/Marriage or even a Tourist Visa. You will only be stamped into Thailand until the end of the validity of your insurance. So even if you have an extension of stay that has a valid permission to stay for a further 9 months, if you only buy 1 month or 3 months Covid insurance you will only be stamped in for this period. Its particularly important with an OA when someone leaves and re enters to get the 2nd year, you need valid OA and Covid insurance to be stamped in for another 12 months. This has been discussed and proved to be correct over and over again on the

Facebook Helpgroups.

Edited by jimn
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, jimn said:

. I can assure you from many many examples that If you have an OA, OX, STV and extension of stay based on Retirement/Marriage or even a Tourist Visa.

Find me some of those many examples on AseanNow to support what your saying.

There have been reports to the opposite.

BTW, I haven't even read about the process at immigration on arrival. Meaning process where the io (passport control) actually looks for duration of insurance. Not saying it doesn't happen.

At the moment it's a he said he said series of posts. 

I am hoping folk can post recent personal experience. However the following comment was very impressive.

"Stated with 100% confidence after a year advising on the 3 main Facebook help groups"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Find me some of those many examples on AseanNow to support what your saying.

There have been reports to the opposite.

BTW, I haven't even read about the process at immigration on arrival. Meaning process where the io (passport control) actually looks for duration of insurance. Not saying it doesn't happen.

At the moment it's a he said he said series of posts. 

I am hoping folk can post recent personal experience. However the following comment was very impressive.

"Stated with 100% confidence after a year advising on the 3 main Facebook help groups"

AseanNow is great for visa advice via UJ but its not the best for this type of advice. So I am not up to date with any misinformation stated. However if you want to follow any of the following groups to educate yourself please feel free

https://www.facebook.com/groups/551797439092744/?ref=share

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272003337395576/?ref=share

https://www.facebook.com/groups/275821990252759/?ref=share

• Haha 1

Will my OA visa via the E-Visa system be approved at all if I cannot provide a health insurance for the 1 year period? I will miss 1-2 days on the coverage as I would like to go with a 1 year max insurance. If I got the visas approved then I assume I will be stamped in to either the full year or -2 days.

Thanks for all your help!

6 hours ago, stat said:

Will my OA visa via the E-Visa system be approved at all if I cannot provide a health insurance for the 1 year period? I will miss 1-2 days on the coverage as I would like to go with a 1 year max insurance. If I got the visas approved then I assume I will be stamped in to either the full year or -2 days.

When applying for a OA visa you will need the $100,000 insurance that includes covid 19 valid for one year.

"The applicant is-invalid required toast have a valid-feedback health insurance policy, either form Thai or from Overseas insurance companies, which the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD accounting for 3 million baht and it includes the treatment of Covid-19."

Source: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

When you enter the country using the OA visa for entry you will only be stamped in to the day your insurance expires.

45 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

My experience also....

If I return to Thailand next year with a re-entry permit on retirement extension , which is valid till next September , buy just a 2 week health insurance policy , I will be stamped in for the 2 weeks only ? will have to show an exit flight ticket ? can throw away the exit ticket and continue to stay in Thailand legally till the end of my extension ? If that is the case do you have links to throw away tickets ?

Finally is the 30 day  v.o.a. still available ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, superal said:

If I return to Thailand next year with a re-entry permit on retirement extension , which is valid till next September , buy just a 2 week health insurance policy , I will be stamped in for the 2 weeks only ? will have to show an exit flight ticket ? can throw away the exit ticket and continue to stay in Thailand legally till the end of my extension ? If that is the case do you have links to throw away tickets ?

Finally is the 30 day  v.o.a. still available ?

For me, the price of a return ticket was $100 more than a OW. Or. You could buy a fully refundable OW ticket. Or. A cheapie to Singapore or somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Correct and I know of cases where entering on a Non O-A or re-entry permit from an extension were only stamped in to the date of Insurance expiry.

What about those on Non O retirement visa? Do they have to have insurance of 1 year or is 30 days enough?

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

For me, the price of a return ticket was $100 more than a OW. Or. You could buy a fully refundable OW ticket. Or. A cheapie to Singapore or somewhere.

Thanks but what about the rest of the question / health ins  

I'm in the early stages of putting things together to apply for a STV.

1.  Regarding insurance, should I pay for 90 days and have a flight out at that time?  Will that satisfy the Thai Consulate?

2.  If I stay past the initial 90 days, and the insurance has expired, will immigration extend my permission to stay within Thailand?

3.  Roughly how much does this insurance cost?  .... i'm late 40's without any health issues.

4.  Do you have to book the one day quarantine hotel for fully vaccinated travellers while applying for the STV?  .... or is that only for Thailand Pass?

Thanks for any info....

On 11/29/2021 at 9:49 AM, jimn said:

I disagree. No loophole. He has 30 days insurance and he will be stamped in for 30 days. The type of visa is irrelevant.

People with 30 day insurance have been reporting that they were stamped in for the full period allowed by their visa type. Many such reports.

Makes sense as someone might want to subsequently leave and return on a re-entry permit i.e. this stay could well be shorter than the full period allowed by visa or re-entry permit.  For IO to stamp someone in for a shorter period of time would shorten their approved period of stay and prevent that.

What is less clear is whether one can do this (have insurance for less than the period one can be stamped in for) without having proof of a return flight.

20 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Correct, I had to buy a throw away ticket after 14 days for my COE

COE required uploading of ticket. TP does not.

You do have to tick a box stating your insurance covers the full length of planned stay, however.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When applying for a OA visa you will need the $100,000 insurance that includes covid 19 valid for one year.

"The applicant is-invalid required toast have a valid-feedback health insurance policy, either form Thai or from Overseas insurance companies, which the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD accounting for 3 million baht and it includes the treatment of Covid-19."

Source: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

When you enter the country using the OA visa for entry you will only be stamped in to the day your insurance expires.

Thank you for your post! I am still not sure about the situation. You quote that a 1 year insurance is needed, so does that mean

a.) I need to cover the full time of the (possible) stay i.e. 1 year and they will decline if I miss out 1 day

b.) So the situation you mentioned that I will "be stamped in to the day your insurance expires" cannot occur in the sense that I need full 1 year?

c.) Is it okay if the insurance starts at the day of my landing in Thailand i.e. Plane leaves 31 Dec I arrive on 1 jan in Thailand or does it have to start on 31. Dec? Airline refuses my transport.

I am confused thanks for your clarification, much obliged!

15 minutes ago, stat said:

Thank you for your post! I am still not sure about the situation. You quote that a 1 year insurance is needed, so does that mean

a.) I need to cover the full time of the (possible) stay i.e. 1 year and they will decline if I miss out 1 day

b.) So the situation you mentioned that I will "be stamped in to the day your insurance expires" cannot occur in the sense that I need full 1 year?

c.) Is it okay if the insurance starts at the day of my landing in Thailand i.e. Plane leaves 31 Dec I arrive on 1 jan in Thailand or does it have to start on 31. Dec? Airline refuses my transport.

a. You only need the insurance valid for one year. It does not matter when it starts since that is determined by the day you enter the country. It does not have be valid on the day you apply for the non-oa visa,

b/c It can start from the day of your planned arrival date in Thailand. It can start on January 1st.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

People with 30 day insurance have been reporting that they were stamped in for the full period allowed by their visa type. Many such reports.

Makes sense as someone might want to subsequently leave and return on a re-entry permit i.e. this stay could well be shorter than the full period allowed by visa or re-entry permit.  For IO to stamp someone in for a shorter period of time would shorten their approved period of stay and prevent that.

What is less clear is whether one can do this (have insurance for less than the period one can be stamped in for) without having proof of a return flight.

I am sorry I have not seen such posts and I can assure you that the rule is that you have to have insurance for your period of stay. In fact it is checked at application, it certainly was for the COE. I have seen many examples on the facebook groups where people have had to buy insurance in line with their visa status for 1 to get the COE (not sure about Thailand Pass) and 2 to satisfy immigration on entry. I know Sandy F posted he was stamped in earlier, I wonder how this happened and how he got his COE without meeting the requirements.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

In addition if you look at this facebook group and search "insurance length" you will see endless examples of people needing insurance for the length of their visa.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/551797439092744/?ref=share

Edited by jimn
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2021 at 4:27 AM, DrJack54 said:

... someone reenters with reentry permit valid for 2 weeks and takes out matching insurance. Then applies for annual extension. That would not require insurance. 

Where as if had 11 months remaining on reentry permit would require 11 months of insurance. Crazy.

That is my understanding. That is also why it may be judicious to time your return to Thailand as close to the due date for extension as you can.