Maskless Foreigners in Bangkok

sharecropper

9 hours ago, BB1955 said:

I will often pull my mask down on my chin . If there is no one around me outside walking . If I m approaching people I will pull it up way before I get near them . I dont see a problem with that . 

This is good to do.

I do find it interesting lets say on Beach road Thai people walking past other Thais and homeless people, but keeping their mask down.  However, If they see a Falang approaching they will pull it up.  Not sure if it is out of respect for the situation or if it is Filthy Falang Syndrome.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Good for you, I'm sure you've got something rational to justify that, yes?

Why waste rationality on dumb conspiracy theorists who'll believe any old rubbish they're fed if the Deep State, Dominon and JFK's ghost are pulling all secret the levers?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sharecropper said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Good for you, I'm sure you've got something rational to justify that, yes?

Why waste rationality on dumb conspiracy theorists who'll believe any old rubbish they're fed if the Deep State, Dominon and JFK's ghost are pulling all secret the levers?

Who are you suggesting is the conspiracy theorist?

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The ‘mask mandate’..... [officials have mandated mask-wearing in public spaces in nearly all circumstances, with the exception of eating, drinking, or exercising]

shows how i go above and beyond to change the thai impression of the "dirty infected farang" ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Who are you suggesting is the conspiracy theorist?

Shhhh. WWG1WGA......

'Nuff said Scousey Lou. That Pizzagate-sponsored 5G mast that Hunter Biden secretly put up in Church Street with Bill Gates and George Soros may be tracking us as we speak.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

love the logic...somebody isnt wearing a mask and the keyboard insulters  assume that is synonymous with a being a Trump supporter, well then based on that logic (?) Biden must be a Trump supporter....from Yahoo news

Maskless Biden appears to cough or clear throat in hand before meet and greet

Luke Gentile
October 25, 2021·
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Masks do nothing stop spreading untruths. Even Anthony Fauci stated as much early days.

Masks are so porus you can drive a truck through the fiber.

N95? Lol prolly most fake and we should all know that in the land of counterfeit merchandise

"TheScience"

ROFLMAO

• Haha 1

Noticed a lot of non mask wearing people in CM last week but all of them were recent arrived tourists as well. The expats all wear them as far I seen.

My best guess is that this behavior comes from the islands, they then think they can behave the same elsewhere too. Some logic in it tho, why wear a mask if walking on quiet streets by yourself or with the friends you arrived with. There is more open air and space than in a coffeeshop or restaurant.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I suspect one of the reasons ‘some’ people spot more foreigners without masks is the ‘visibility’....

Last week I saw a Westerner (about 35 yrs old) walking through the EmQuartier without a mask, almost as if he was challenging people to approach him to wear a mask....  obvious idiot. 

Yesterday there was a Westerner (about 60 yrs old) walking off the BTS without a mask.

Both cases were extremely ‘visible’ examples of foreigners wearing a mask, they were more noticeable because its clear to everyone around them that they should know better, they made a deliberate choice not to wear a mask. 

Over the same period of time I also noticed Thai’s wearing masks, but they are less noticeable, these are usually the ‘untouchables’ people going through the rubbish bins etc, beggars on the street...  People who are far less obvious and less noticeable. 

When a Westerner doesn’t wear a mask they are easily noticed. When a Thai doesn’t wear a mask they seem to blend in more and are less noticeable.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 8:01 AM, sharecropper said:

If people don't want to respect the rules during a pandemic, why come here at all? Why go into a public place and refuse to obey the rules? Stay home instead.

Maybe they know masks don't really do anything - ignorant people think a normal surgical mask/cloth mask/underpants worn as a mask filters out the virus. Masks protect in 2 ways: by stopping droplets from the mouth* and protecting you by stopping you touching your nose or mouth with your fingers IF you are disciplined - the constant pulling down the mask and then re-seating makes it WORSE than not wearing one.

I do wish people who don't know what they don't know would refrain from trying to force their ignorance based views on others. The purpose of masks is so that the political class can pretend it is doing something/exert their control.

I wear one to comply even though I regard it as near useless.

*a medical professor told me it is normal to see people in operating theatres wearing them just over the mouth with the nose uncovered - this is acceptable as their function is not to filter out bacteria and viruses but to prevent droplets - which wearing them just over the mouth effectively does.

6 hours ago, sharecropper said:

All the rest of your "I know better than you/wake up!/do your own research/"a medical professor told me"" diatribe may be safely ignored....

How was this a 'diatribe'? I was quoting a medical professor and a virologist, but somehow you know better. Let's hear it then. Why may what I wrote be safely ignored? I'm waiting.

I think actually I do know rather better than you - not hard as it appears you know NOTHING, your comments seem to be driven by knee jerk emotion. As someone who studied immunology at undergraduate level, I assure you that is not the scientific approach.

FWIW I actually do think that visitors should comply, even though the benefit from wearing masks in hindering transmission is essentially limited as described. In Thailand I feel I should comply or leave, but it is clear in virtually every country that politicians are grasping onto anything that helps them and how they appear, and ignoring things that don't.

Edited by mokwit

5 hours ago, sharecropper said:

I also note in other news on the site, in Bangkok, a Thai attacked a maskless foreigner in a public place. So those who think they are too clever by half and can smugly flout the pandemic rules in place here might be in for a painful surprise

I often see maskless Thai's but for some reason they seem to escape a beating - perhaps we should ask our vigilante how many beatings he has administered to Thais. Must be in the hundreds if that was his response to seeing someone maskless, or perhaps there was something else going on in his head. 

On 12/1/2021 at 1:23 PM, sharecropper said:

No comment needed.

Edited by mokwit

On 12/9/2021 at 12:35 PM, mokwit said:

I do wish people who don't know what they don't know would refrain from trying to force their ignorance based views on others.

This comment.... 

..... contradicted by this comment....  ????

On 12/9/2021 at 12:35 PM, mokwit said:

The purpose of masks is so that the political class can pretend it is doing something/exert their control.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, big dendrobenaes said:
On 11/29/2021 at 4:13 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolutely.    Perhaps he also demands that they wear helmets, also!

it IS LAW to wear a crash helmet when driving/riding a motorbike !!!

I'm well aware of that, I did not say that there isn't a helmet law.  Try reading the context of my comments in response to other posters! 

11 hours ago, mokwit said:

If you take it out of context it might appear that way to you - my point went over your head.

Yeah - that Richard_Smith should WAKE UP!, do his own research, stop taking things out of context, stop letting things go over his head and generally intellectually sharpen up, so that he too can become a conspiracy-based genius, like so many others who think they're so clever, but who then spoil the illusion by immediately spouting embarrassingly childish rubbish.

• Sad 1