How long after marriage can you become a thai citizen?

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Hi,

There are some steps you need to take. For example first is to apply.

After applied steps starts.. Everything you can show them or give them will give you some points. Total is 100 and 50 up will granted you thai citizenship. 

For example your salary must start from 40K and it will give you some points. If its higher point goes up too. If you can speak thai it is another points if you can write or read its points. if you can sing thai national anthem it is points, king royal anthem is another  pts. (some people say no need to do this if you are married). If you do donations thats another point. If you have yellow book up to how many years you have another up points. Regarding to your age, education again there are points. There are few other things like this which will give you points. So basically if you can add up 50 up you can be a thai.  This link will give you some idea:

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-citizenship-points-test/

Awesome thanks for all the info. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Don't you also have to first obtain PR? (which requires that you have worked and paid taxes here)

Applicants married to Thai citizens can skip PR and can directly apply for Thai citizenship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lizzy Duang said:

Does that mean if you are a doc with significant income (pension) from abroad and good personality you could score the minimum 50 points without speaking any Thai, any knowledge of Thailand and singing the anthem? That you can skip some of the requirements if you score high in the others?

You need a Thai Work Permit (unbroken) for 3 yrs and need certified copies of PND 91 for the previous 3 yrs.

Minimum Thai earned salary THB 40,000/- pm

No Thai Work Permit = No Thai citizenship

Singing the National Anthem is not required for those married to Thai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lizzy Duang said:

Does that mean if you are a doc with significant income (pension) from abroad and good personality you could score the minimum 50 points without speaking any Thai, any knowledge of Thailand and singing the anthem? That you can skip some of the requirements if you score high in the others?

If you're a doctor, then you can just set up your own practice. Good english speaking docs are in high demand in tourist areas and earn good money too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

You need a Thai Work Permit (unbroken) for 3 yrs and need certified copies of PND 91 for the previous 3 yrs.

Minimum Thai earned salary THB 40,000/- pm

No Thai Work Permit = No Thai citizenship

Singing the National Anthem is not required for those married to Thai.

Can I set up a business on the partners name and get a work permit off that?

17 hours ago, urthebozo said:

I found some info saying 3 years and monthly income of 40k baht. Is that all? Is speaking thai a requirement?

Depends if you're male or female.

If female 1 year after marriage if you have a child together and 15Kbht/month total family income.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not exactly.

Would have to first pass an exam (in Thai language) and get a Thai medical license . A foreign medical degree and license do not authorize you to practice in Thailand.

Very, very few (but some) foreign doctors have succeeded in doing this.

you can find foreign doctors quite easily, i've been treated by several american doctors at the adventist mission hospital in bangkok

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DrJoy said:

and need certified copies of PND 91 for the previous 3 yrs

This is what's delayed my application. There was a break while I did other stuff and in effect it's reset the clock on my tax processing. All the other ducks were lined up. It's set my application back by two years. My sister in law has put the company accountant onto this to make sure I'll be ready to apply in another couple of years. I was pretty upset, I expected to be a citizen by now.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

We men married to Thai women and with Thai children.  Chopped liver

Your post is accurate, but to be fair, this is what the schizophrenic rules infer, it's not my impression of an attitude ubiquitous in Thai society, people ask me why I waited 20 years to start the process.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:50 PM, urthebozo said:

I'm actually not in thailand at the moment but considering getting married there and starting a business there. Probably on the futurewife's name and i'd just work there(i'm assuming this would cover the working and paying taxes requirements, correct?).

I guess the first step for you is to find the future wife....

• Haha 2

On 11/30/2021 at 10:50 PM, urthebozo said:

I'm actually not in thailand at the moment but considering getting married there and starting a business there. Probably on the futurewife's name and i'd just work there(i'm assuming this would cover the working and paying taxes requirements, correct?).

If I were you, I would seriously reconsider this plan and do some research first on how things work in Thailand "in practice" before getting yourself into anything. 

• Like 2